“Not 5 star at all!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Not 5 star at all!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2003

My husband and I stayed at the Paradisus for 5 days and 4 nights. That was plenty. The flight was impeccable... the ride to the resort was more dangerous than anything. Cars weaving in and out...along with dangerous tail-gaiting. We arrived at 12:30p, in our jeans and sweatshirts...sweating (no AC in the lobby) We could not check into our room until 3pm. We got some lunch, which was an awful display of melted cheeses, meats under heat lamps, and discusting looking hot dogs and hamburgers that look like they were sitting out for hours. (this was everyday) My husband and I literally ate rice and rolls for 4 days. The grounds were nothing special...very average. The pool was nice and warm, the ocean beautiful. Dinner we ate at the brazilian, and the steak house...OK but again the salad bars were outside with melted cheese and awful presentation. El Romantico...no biggy..nicely decorated but same food. They had cool dance classes daily at the beach...but repetitive. Nobody spoke english and one guy that worked there asked my husband for 5 bucks!! The shows at night were like talent shows from the local high school.

The bottled wate tasted weird..drank my own water only and Pepsi without ice. People did get the runs. Why spend money to sweat, have repetitive food, drink pepsi and have room service with poor looking soggy pizza?? The beer"presidente" Great. The only thing my husband drank. I do not recommend going to Punta Cana. Spend your money and travel in the US and hit Vegas or Arizona.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,018)
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2003

We returned last night from eight days at Paradisus. It is a beautiful
resort and we don't think there is a bad location on the site. The
employees were so friendly and helpful (yes, one room was not ready for
one hour and our room was not cleaned one day until 5PM....but this did
not even begin to hurt our vacation).---The grounds, pool and beach are
knockout gorgeous and there was plenty to do. The restaurants all have
a different atmosphere and were very good - not five star, but good.
We had a second story room and it was very attractive. Our friends who traveled with us also had a second story room two buildings away. I loved walking around the complex but my husband preferred to take the shuttle (so we took turns). There was construction going on but it interfered with nothing. We had requested ocean view but knew before we went that it would not be available....actually, we preferred the room we got.
We did not do horseback riding (included) or any of the excursions. However, golf was praised by other guests and the Saona excursion will be on our list next time. There were several families there and the children were so good and so well behaved. 98% of the time you were not even aware they were there.
We used room service daily and they were very prompt and accomodating. There is a power boat that goes out at 10 and 1 (about 20 min. along the beach) to a grouping of vendors. The boat captain stayed with us the entire time and it was fun (this, and most excursions, you need to sign up for at the boating area).
We celebrated our anniversary while we were there and emailed the resort this. They made sure we had a dinner reservation at El Romantico on that night and certainly made our stay extra pleasant.----The photographer at the resort goes around taking pictures and then they are for sale at $6/each. Good photographer and some great souvenirs. The Miami Herald newspaper was available each morning at the towel booth.
At the lunch buffet, they had little ice cream cones and 3 types of soft ice cream - we made these every afternoon and they were a great treat.
The ONLY time we ran into bugs was one night in the lobby waiting for
our friends.....I was bitten (by no seeums) on the ankle....but they
left my husband alone. A little Spanish goes a long way.. if you can go
knowing 10 words, you will put a smile on the employees faces!
We have also been to Secrets Excellence and, although the food was more top notch, we would tend to return to Paradisus first.
The only criticism I would pass on (and you can work around it) is that the Dominican Music at the pool bar (9:30 a.m to 6:00 p.m. was repetitive and quite loud). All you need to do is locate away from it a little bit and it is fine............One suggestion. The resort does not have pool floats but allows them. Brookstone has a great float that is easy to use and to get in and out of. The center is mesh so you keep cool in the water. They fold up into a circle and into a small carrying bag that will fit in a decent size suitcase (diameter about 24-30").
Before we headed off, the weather forcast was for 7 days of rain beginning with Tropical Storm Mindy....Actuality was 1 1/2 hour of rain one day and rest of the weather was gorgeous and perfect!
To anyone going to Paradisus we say enjoy - we just had a wonderful vacation.....To anyone from Paradisus who reads this we say "Muchos, muchos gracias!!!!

Burlington, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2003

Having travelled to 9 WI islands I had some concept of what to expect.
However, this is rated a 5 star property and should be reviewed as they undergo the upgrading of older bungalows and enclosure of restaurants.
We were able to summarize that these complaints were from guests in the orginal bungalows constructed. The construction is projected for over the next 11 months and perhaps will equate to a 5 star. After meeting up at the airport again with the people that we flew down we were also able to conclude that all the resorts were running at 90-100% compacity because of the low prices, however, the Paradisus had only 30% capacity so service, chairs etc. was ample. The following are pros and cons...
The people are wonderful. Since tourism is still relatively new to the DR, try to be patient as they are all still learning customer service.
The Cocatel golf course was great! We played everday and the course could handle a PGA tournament with minor adjustments playing from the golds. This was our favourite!!! The beach is fabulous...definetly, a 5 star! The surf was rough some days but enjoyable! Do not wear any rings or sunglasses into the ocean. The grounds are exotic but vast. The trollies they provide work well for some bungalows but not all so just call and they will gladly pick you up. The rooms certainly differ as we had an older bungalow. Our fans were disconnected because they set off the motion detector which regulated the air conditioning, hence, no movement...no air. The fridges do not work to our expectations so get used to it. We had wood rot on our door frame up to the first hinge on both sides. Obviously prior guests did not secure the liner to the shower marble to alleviate leakage. We had a huge porcelain chunk missing from our tub hence, rust. We had a crack in our toilet seat...ouch. Our white socks were dirty after walking around to unpack, furniture was scratched and the southwestern look is in need of a face lift. There was a huge variety of restaurants offering various cuisines, French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican, Seafood, Chinese, Japanese etc. The French was superb in flavour and presentation and the Italian was always tasty. Unfortunatley, the French never had the shrimp cocktail offered and the Seafood never had the lobster offered. The Hibiscus and Grill buffets are open concept and attrack flies. The food sits around uncovered from start to finish and unfortunately I found maggots in my fruit one morning. Chaffing lids or domed lids would put the responsibility on the guest to control the health factor.
Management has offerered a discount on our next vacation to the Paradisus...would we go back? Simply, no.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2003

in just simple words

you just don't want to leave paradise it was the best 5 days that i have spent in quite a few years. The people were friendly and willing to help in any way possible.

My wife and I just plain loved it

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2003

I went to the Paradisus from Sep 19-24. I would qualify the hotel as a solid 3-4-star hotel: clean rooms, good food, good staff, great property. We ate and drank as much as we wanted, relaxed, smoked cigars and had a overall great time. Yes, at times things were spotty and they are renovating parts of the resort, but this shouldn't overshadow a great experience.

Now I've read all the comments and could possible attribute to the following: (i) we went during the low season and the resort was not that crowded; (ii) unrealistic expectations of what constitutes 5-star in the DR; and (iii) possibly the major part of the renovation was over when we went.

I would definately recommend this resort, particularly given the low prices.

Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2003

First of all, we just got back last night from a wonderful week September 13-19, 2003, don't believe everything that you've read in previous posts! After reading some of these recent posts before we left, I almost cancelled and I'm glad that I didn't. I don't know what these people with all of these nit-picking problems have, but maybe they should have stayed at home or at least near their homes. DO NOT LET THEM INFLUENCE your trip!! You have to remember, you are going to a third world country so think of their five star rating as such.
Actually, the room could be rated about the same as a Marriott Courtyard suites, maybe a little better. But, overall by the time I left I would have rated everything 10 stars just on how I felt about my stay and experience!!! Every staff member we encountered was nice and made us feel welcome even if they didn't speak English. We learned a few helpful Spanish words and phrases that we found on another website that was very helpful. We tipped the housekeeping staff and wait staff a little each day, but nothing expensive a few dollars each day. We could not tell the difference in service or how we were treated either way, but tipping a little made us feel better because we met the owner of the gift shop (she is an American) and she told us that most of the Dominican people make less than 2,000 US dollars a year and a few dollars can go along way for them. The food was plentiful and very good and a large variety to choose from, if you can't find something you like to eat there then you have to be a very picky eater. We did not have a single meal that wasn't delicious, you can find anything from burgers and fries to fresh grilled whole Lobster. I read a post with a mention of the bottled water. The bottled water is not Spring water, its Mineral Water which does have a few minerals in it and I don't see how you can get sick from it. I drank about 8 bottles a day and was fine. We met a small sized group of fellow Americans from New Jersey and no one got sick that I knew of. As far as the room goes everything was great, we were provided bathrobes to use, there were several towels which are huge!!! The only thing is bring a few washclothes from home with you, they do not have them there. That is the only complaint if that is what you want to call it that I have, but we were prepared. All of the rooms have a slight "musty" smell to them, but the temps average 80F all the time with about 80% humidity so that is only to be expected. Now, to the most common complaint that I've read is the temp of the drinks in the mini bar. You will not find ice cold drinks anywhere at the resort like we know of them to be here in the States.
That is just the way Dominicans are as are most Europeans, they like their drinks cool and refreshing, we as a group like them ice cold and expect it to be that way, but remember you are not at home. As far as the grounds, they are lush and beautiful. There are Coconut Palms and Hybiscus flowers everywhere. The grounds are very well kept and maintaned. Now trying to find something to do huh? Well, you will not find that to be a problem. You can do everything that is listed on their website. We chose to just relax and kick back. We did get a couple of Body Boards and played in the waves for a great time. We also played water polo and volleyball everyday in the late afternoons.
Finding a Palapa or a place to sit wasn't a problem at all, you may have to search for 5 minutes, but one could be found if you looked. The shows at night were very good and entertaining and after each show the dancers go in the lobby and they do line dancing Dominican style with the audience. Which I enjoyed watching all the tourists trying to do the Dominican Merengue dances, being from Nashville I was entertained watching all this and got a real good laugh at it. I cannot think of a single bad experience that would cause me not to return. You must go with an open mind and remember that you are in their country not in your own, they are more laid-back than we are here, so they do not provide services as quick or in a hurry as we do here in the States. I can see how many people could complain about slower service than they are used to so if your wanting to have someone at your beck and call or have people run around like chickens with their heads cut-off because you requested something then the DR is not for you stay at home because your going to be disspointed. Also, mid-August thru Febuary is their off-season so some construction is to be expected, they have to maintain the place and rennovate it sometime and its kind of hard to do when the place if filled to capacity. Having to step aside a few times to let a worker get by you with building supplies did not affect our vacation at all it only 2-3 times the whole week, it sure did beat having to be at work. We only heard saws a handful of times and they are installing several roofs but all the roofs are Palapa roofs, which are only made out of Coconut Palm leaves and make no noise when being installed. Remember go with an open mind and look forward to meeting the Dominican People, they want to share their country and their lifestyle with you, it truly is almost heaven on earth. I wish I was going back now!!!! If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to email me at AHannityClone@aol.com.

Andrew W. Nashville,TN September 13-19,2003

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2003

Just arrived fm DR and here is my comments about Melia Paradisus. If 10 is the maximum score: Food & Restaurants:7, "Marino" the best, "Sakura" the worst. Drinks & Bars:9 Beach: 7.5 Amenities:8 Rooms:7 Landscape:6, some areas need to be fixed and repainted. Animation team:7 Kids Club: 7 Hospitality: 9.5 Front desk:8.In general, the Resort matched our expectancies...PS: The management has to develop a cooling system for the pool.... is boiling water actually!!

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!