“Our third time (and probably last) stay in The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I almost did not write this review as I did not want to 'slight' the resort that we have over the past 8 years have returned to many times. We began staying in the upgraded Reserve section in 2008 shortly after it opened and have always have had a wonderful experience. The past 3 trips were around a mid-December birthday and has always been the week before the busy two week holiday and the week that the staff is gearing up for a busy rush. That was once again the case this year. The one thing which was very different was the lack of personal services or attention by many staff members who seemed indifferent to the upgraded guests. We had found that the pool boys, bartenders and servers in the Reserve in years past were the best in the complex but this year we actually received much better service in the more 'common areas'. We wondered why we paid extra for more for a concierge focused service without the royal service price.
It was also very obvious that the current economic environment has also impacted the resort. The most glaring differences were at the bar. The options of liquor and wine were DRAMATICALLY downgraded in the Reserve and they were asking for payment for a subpar option of wines and what they thought were 'top shelf' liquors. No longer are cigarettes or 'house' cigars offered at the bar to patrons. No longer are there Dominican macadamia nuts or peanuts at the bar, of course, they are in the room and think that we should pay 13 usd for a small bag. There were times in the Reserve section when they ran out of bottles or cans of Presidente and wanted to serve draft beer instead. That would have been understandable but there were less than 100 adults in the Reserve that week. The Reserve section only restaurant menus (Gabi and Vento) were similar to years past with the exception of no lobster and even smaller food quantities at Vento. Gabi was only open two nights and Vento the other five. We are well versed on the rotating closures of restaurants during this last week of non-peak season. We actually found better food and service at Abueffo/Terra than in the Reserve, which is a bit of a surprise at it had been our least favorite in years past. Rodizio, Fuego and Dolce Vita continue to remain unchanged with excellent service and excellent food. Once again we wondered why we upgraded to the Reserve.
Well, the pool at the Reserve is exceptional. That is one reminder to why we have returned to this resort. Similarly, the beach and resort property continue to be very beautiful and well maintained. The weather was absolutely PERFECT! The suites in the Reserve are very much what we prefer. A large comfortable king bed, a Jacuzzi tub and a living room with separate TV. I laughed when, once again, the small refrigerator in the room seemed to cool water, beer and soft drinks rather that keep them cold. (That has been the case in all three stays.)
Overall, this trip was mildly disappointing for us. If we had never stayed in the Reserve section before, it would have been better. It continues to be a good value but probably will force us to find a new Paradise for our vacations.

Room Tip: Reserve rooms are nice but far from not only the beach but also the main common areas.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,018)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011 via mobile

First of all my wife and I combined have travelled to many locations in the world having stayed in some amazing places and some not so amazing places. I would say we are experienced travelers and have a decent knowledge of what good customer service is....we did not experience it here....

This trip was booked over eight months in advance...this is the resort that we chose to get married at and travelled with a group of 16 people who came to enjoy the day with us. The moment we arrived the problems began. Two of our guests arrived a day early and had no issues at check in. When the remainder of our group arrived the next day, my wife and I were immediately taken by golf cart to the royal service check in which is in a different area of the resort (my wife and I were staying in royal service the remainder of the group were in the normal section). We were under the impression that the rest of the group was checking in at the main lobby. During the check in process I received a panicked call from my daughter (15 yrs old) who was to be staying with a family friend in another room. She advised that all of our guests (minus the two that checked in early) were being shipped to a different resort (a sister resort to the paradises the palm real). We questioned the employee checking us in and she indicated that it was very close by but when pressed further we found out it was in fact a 20 minute bus ride away. We found out later that our guests had been told that we had also been taken to the other resort which was a lie.

Here is where the fun began we were told that the resort was over booked and that it was an error on the part of the resort booking staff. We asked when did this come to their attention and why after corresponding with the resort wedding planner for over three months did someone not contact us. We never did get an answer to that question. Now as we travelled as a group and planned to be together on the trip we were now stuck in two resorts with the majority of the group in the other resort. The solution offered to us was that the other guests would be given bracelets and bused everyday to the resort. This was not a solution as anyone who travels knows you are going to want a room to change in, relax, shower etc. how is that accomplished if you have to travel by bus 20 minutes one way not counting wait time. We asked to speak with a manager and were taken away from the royal service check in to speak with a manager. After some discussion the second option offered was that we (wife, i and two guests) would also be sent to the other resort. Keep in mind my wife and I had not seen this other resort before and knew nothing about it. We agreed to also go, however, we wanted to know what would happen to the plans we had already booked for the wedding. We were told they could not guarantee anything, no day, no time, no location or even that the wedding would happen. By this time our trip was becoming a nightmare we just spent a lot of money and we not getting what we paid for. After several more phone calls the resort decided that they would bring all of our guests back to the resort. We continued the check in process and were eventually taken to our room. We were told a bus had been sent for the other guests and they would arrive soon. We arrived in the afternoon with plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the day including dinner and what not however the bus did not arrive back from the other resort until hours later, the guests were upset, we were upset, enough said.

I do note that my daughter told the other resort that she wanted to call me to find out what was going on and they would not allow her to make a phone call. it was very clear that they were trying to limit the communication between us and our other guests. Other members of our group were told they would be charged to call us to find out what was going on and my wife's father was charged a 500 dollar deposit on his credit card upon arrival at the palm real although no one else in the group was charged this. This was a consistent pattern there was no consistency with any information provided to us, different employees provided different answers to the same questions. I was able to communicate with other guests using my own cell phone which did not allow them to continue to lie to us. Twice I was lied to having already received answers to questions by contacting the other guests in our group.

Oh I also note that while waiting for our group to arrive back from the other resort i observed numerous guests arrive at the lobby who were told the resort was overbooked and were shipped off to the other resort. Now I found out why the resort was overbooked as they booked a large convention from brazil (I heard between 400 and 600 people). I was also told by one of the attendees that the group was booked to stay at another resort who cancelled last minute and they rebooked into the paradise. Needless to say our first day ended badly and stuck with the group for the week no one was impressed. It's also nice when ur told ur not the only wedding group and that they accommodated us. How did you accommodate us when we paid to stay at your resort not another resort?

Anyway during the rest of the week not all of the restaurants were open the brazil group obviously got preferential treatment at the restaurants. If your staying in the royal service sections you can only reserve dinner for yourself. I reserved dinner one night during the entire stay and when we showed up to eat we were told they did not have the reservation.

Two people in our group got very sick, one stayed in hospital for three days. As others have posted numerous problems with rooms, locks, ac, not being cleaned, no towel etc. They showed up to fix my father in laws toilet at 1130 pm after being called in the morning.

Not to be all negative the grounds were beautiful, it is a large resort and if you have difficulty walking it would be challenging. I never had to fight for a seat anywhere on the beach or at pool which was nice. the wedding did happen as planned thanks to the wedding planner maguelina.

I hate being lied to which I find disrespectful. First and last time at a paradises resort never again.

• Stayed November 2011
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Paradisus Punta Cana for such important event as it is your wedding. Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that this may have caused. It’s of great value to us to learn about your stay, for it serves us as a guide to improve and fortify the weaknesses pointed out by our guest’s experiences.
I am concerned to learn about the matter mentioned. As regards the situation presented by the overbooking during the stay that you had reserved, we ask for your understanding for these situations which can occur in every hotel around the world, although it is not a daily thing at ours. Also, be aware that I forward your comments to the departments involved to improve and prevent this inconvenience in the future to come. We are apprehensive about the health of your friends and the inconvenience that this caused.
I would like to thank you for complimenting our beautiful grounds, the beach and the pool.
Once again I extend you my apologies for any discomfort caused. Also, if you will be so generous to contact me on private to provided us with more information about the inconvenience that your fiends had which ended up in the hospital, you can reach me at calidad2.paradisus.punta.cana@solmelia.com

Regards,

NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Every year we have a group of 8 traveling together for vacation and to play golf. This is our third time back and two of my friends' sixth time. We love the beautiful beach, the newly gorgeous renovated villa, the wonderful grilled fish and the many choices of restaurants. And of course, the unlimited golf which is included. We only pay the cart fee.
The people working there were all very friendly and the service was excellent. They made our vacation so wonderful and that is why we keep going back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

Great place, staff speaks quite well english, food is okey and the place is great. Beach is great, many chairs and beds. Remeber to ask for a renovated room, the unrenovated are not so good as the renovated ones.

• Stayed December 2011
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing our Paradisus Punta Cana. It’s a pleasure to earn that your experience with us has met your expectations and that we were able to please your needs. Thank you for your compliments on our resort, beach, food and renovated rooms, I assure you that your comment has been extended to the corresponding departments in order to keep our personnel motivated and committed to giving our guests the best quality service as they well deserve, which is our main priority. Once again thank you for choosing our resort and extending your experience to us. We await you soon at your “home away from home” in the Caribbean Paradisus Punta Cana.

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We went down to Paradisus for a wedding in the first week of December.I had read alot of the reviews and was a little anxious as to what to expect.I must say we were not disappointed at all
From the room we received which was very close to the pool,beaches and restaraunts to the grounds which were stunning and well maintained we were very happy. The staff were amazing and very helpful. Jorge Luis at the main lobby bar went above and beyond as he kept our wedding party going full force with his creative shots His pleasant manner and infectious smile was the highlight of the lobby bar!! Domingo the chef always went out of his way to make sure our group was happy with their meals.Even at 3 a.m!!! Lorenzo( who seemd to be everywhere ) was exceptional and always had the biggest smile on his face ,even after a long shift.The beach was great and lots of activities if desired.The wedding itself was amazing.The table settings,the music the food and the moonlight were magical.Many thanks to the staff on that night also. I think this resort is a great spot for families and for all the negatives nellies who did not like this spot...go to cuba!!!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We spent the week before Christmas at this all inclusive resort. I will list the pros and cons :

Pros
- food was much better than we expected. Breakfast had custom omelets and smoothies with fresh fruit and every kind of breakfast food you could want. Lunch was buffet and had grilled fish and chicken plus a pasta chef. Dinner was at one of several restaurants and was ok. Meat and chicken both good. Sides not so much.
- grounds were clean, beautiful.
- pool was lovely and beach gorgeous. Chairs plentiful.
- room was fine, clean and well stocked mini bar refilled every day.
- we stayed in the standard part of the resort. Really don't need to pay more for the royal service or reserve unless you are into reserving your spot at the beach and getting turn down service and minor upgrades.

Cons
- they scam you upon arrival with a personal concierge who says he is there to serve you. Actually he is there to get you to go to a sales presentation to join the melia resorts club. Say no thanks to the fancy breakfast he offers you unless you want to waste a morning of your vacation.
- lots of people at the resort trying to sell you extra excursions like swim with dolphins, segue tours, etc. Gets annoying after a while.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Stayed in the Reserve Section which was quite elegant- tanning couches to lie on, drinks served by the pool, a fabulous beach area that literally had the best chairs on the beach ....we looked!!! The people working there were most accommodating...don't forget to tip them as I saw that many people did not- they actually did not mind- what service!!! The reserve area is primarily families...which means a lot of babies and young children. While it did not bother us as we were getting up early- there were sounds of crying babies heard occasionally through the walls. The Royal Service is Adults only...not sure you need that. The regular service is nice, as well....may select this the next time.
I read several reviews stating the beach is really far...this is not a problem. It is a lovely walk or trolley ride. The resort is quite large...but there are short cuts everywhere-
the 18-25 year olds enjoyed the disco-the exercise classes and access to so many things...
Loved it-loved it-loved it!!!!
Oh-rooms.....not sure there is a bad one...if you want beach and pool and do not have to walk ask for the rooms near the club house area.
Also- watch out for the "no see ums" - take appropriate bug spray and don't scratch!!!
Food at El Romantica- had the best desserts- Make reservations at the Japanese early. Restaurants have nights off so plan ahead!!! Buffets have lots of salad options- grilled chicken , fish, pork and beef.Older Children also loved loved seeing so many people from other countries- can not wait to enjoy this resort again!

Room Tip: So many options...if you want to be near the beach- and the large pool ask for a room near the club...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!