I almost did not write this review as I did not want to 'slight' the resort that we have over the past 8 years have returned to many times. We began staying in the upgraded Reserve section in 2008 shortly after it opened and have always have had a wonderful experience. The past 3 trips were around a mid-December birthday and has always been the week before the busy two week holiday and the week that the staff is gearing up for a busy rush. That was once again the case this year. The one thing which was very different was the lack of personal services or attention by many staff members who seemed indifferent to the upgraded guests. We had found that the pool boys, bartenders and servers in the Reserve in years past were the best in the complex but this year we actually received much better service in the more 'common areas'. We wondered why we paid extra for more for a concierge focused service without the royal service price.
It was also very obvious that the current economic environment has also impacted the resort. The most glaring differences were at the bar. The options of liquor and wine were DRAMATICALLY downgraded in the Reserve and they were asking for payment for a subpar option of wines and what they thought were 'top shelf' liquors. No longer are cigarettes or 'house' cigars offered at the bar to patrons. No longer are there Dominican macadamia nuts or peanuts at the bar, of course, they are in the room and think that we should pay 13 usd for a small bag. There were times in the Reserve section when they ran out of bottles or cans of Presidente and wanted to serve draft beer instead. That would have been understandable but there were less than 100 adults in the Reserve that week. The Reserve section only restaurant menus (Gabi and Vento) were similar to years past with the exception of no lobster and even smaller food quantities at Vento. Gabi was only open two nights and Vento the other five. We are well versed on the rotating closures of restaurants during this last week of non-peak season. We actually found better food and service at Abueffo/Terra than in the Reserve, which is a bit of a surprise at it had been our least favorite in years past. Rodizio, Fuego and Dolce Vita continue to remain unchanged with excellent service and excellent food. Once again we wondered why we upgraded to the Reserve.
Well, the pool at the Reserve is exceptional. That is one reminder to why we have returned to this resort. Similarly, the beach and resort property continue to be very beautiful and well maintained. The weather was absolutely PERFECT! The suites in the Reserve are very much what we prefer. A large comfortable king bed, a Jacuzzi tub and a living room with separate TV. I laughed when, once again, the small refrigerator in the room seemed to cool water, beer and soft drinks rather that keep them cold. (That has been the case in all three stays.)
Overall, this trip was mildly disappointing for us. If we had never stayed in the Reserve section before, it would have been better. It continues to be a good value but probably will force us to find a new Paradise for our vacations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the unpretentious luxury of Paradisus Punta Cana Resort. An extraordinary island retreat offering a super balance of natural and man-made wonders. Open-air architecture, featuring indigenous organic materials like raw coral and exotic hardwoods, houses an impossibly sumtuous gallery of luxury Suites and an exclusive Garden Villa. All-inclusive and all encompassing, Paradisus Punta Cana Resort is an ocean front playground for all ages. Tennis, championship golf, every non-motorized water sport imaginable, a magnificent array of restaurants, our own Casino, an incredible Spa For Kids, an exquisite full-service spa and health club and personal world-class service all seamlessly unite to deliver you the relaxing, romantic, carefree, fun-filled experience of a lifetime. The Resort features 688 oversized suites including 143 Royal Service Suites and 4 Ambassador Oceanview Suites, plus a one-of-a-kind oceanfront Garden Villa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Melia, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Paradisus Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Paradisus Punta Cana Resort