“Beautiful LARGE property not so great resort” 3 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 9 sites
Save Saved
You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #28 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Alberta
“Beautiful LARGE property not so great resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband, myself and our 13 month old daughter stayed at the PPC May12-19. As we were there to attend our friends wedding we didn't pick this resort ourselves.

Check-in & Room
The group of 20 arrived after 6pm which we figured would make for a quick check-in being so late in the day however with 2 front desk clerks it took nearly 2 hours. We were told that the bellboys would bring our luggage and show us to our room. We along with another couple from our group jumped in the trolly cart and were driven to our buildings where our friends realized that someone else (another couple from our group) was already in their room. The bellboys both went to the room to figure things out...when they came back to my family who had been sitting in the cart; they walked right past us up the path. I began walking up the pathway to find our room in which the bellboy asked where I was going. When I explained that we had a baby (clearly) and just wanted to get to our room and asked if the next building was ours and they simply said yeah and watched me jog back to my husband where we then unloaded our luggage from the trolly and proceeded to our room. Once in the room (ground level) we realized that the patio door lock was broken and the fridge (not a fridge but cooler) was also not working. If our daughter wasn't with us the fridge would not have been a big concern but I had brought cold snacks from home and needed to keep milk for her daily. Maintainence did arrive in a timely manner but it unfortunate that we had to make that call in the first place. The room was clean but run down; daily maid service was very inconsistant. One day they would knock at 7am the next no one showed up until 4pm. Even if the room was cleaned we wouldn't get towels until hours later or not at all. We didn't have a face cloth until day 5. Chambermaids were nice and we most certainly left tips daily.
Resort & Service
The resort grounds are very beautiful and lush; I enjoyed the gardens and sounds of the birds; the beach of course is stunning. Incredible ocean water and very little seaweed if that's a concern to anyone. We were a little surprised that there was no pool or beach service; we've stayed at resorts in the Mayan Riviera and were overwhelmed by smiling happy service at every corner; something we did not experience once while at the Paradisus. My husband and I greeted every staff member we seen and usually received a smile and greeting back. But rarely did the staff greet us first. Maybe being such a large resort they aren't used to the guests speaking to them; it honestly confused me...
The restaurant staff was slightly more outgoing; one server was excellent and stands out to me; Ramone Santana. He was charming, entertaining and very efficient. The food overall was decent; no one in our group got sick. I found that the fruit and yogurt wasn't kept as cold as it should at the buffet. And yes I know I was in a very humid hot location but food safety at a family resort should be high priority. The beach grill was a great lunch option with its pasta bar and the chinese and brazilian restaurants were the fav dinner spots from our group. Room service regardless the time of day or night took at least an hour so call early if you enjoy breakfast in your room.

Wedding
The wedding was very beautiful; ceremony was on the beach, reception in a private open air room. We were very surprised to find out that the bride and groom had to pay over and above their wedding package to have a bar and dinner for the guests being that we were all staying at the resort and who had paid for all inclusive. We had a destination wedding and didn't have those surprise expenses so it definately made us feel badly for our friends as it wasn't a small charge. They used the hotel wedding photographer and were very pleased with his work and the price was reasonable.
My husband and I decided to get family photos done by the on site photographer; we had 45 minutes with the photographer and by that evening we were able to view our edited photos. They actually exceeded my expectations but be prepared. They charge you $10 US per print. We of course wanted the entire edited shoot (86 photos); in which they gave us a package deal for $500; a price I would have never paid for home but our daughter is only one once so they were images we felt we could splurge on.

Overall we made the best of our week at PPC; the grounds and beach again are very beautiful and I think the resort has potential. But for our family it was too big and fell short when it came to the service. I truly am not one to be negative or complain but where we have stayed before was so exceptional it made it difficult not to compare the resorts. Also being a new mother and travelling with our baby gave us more reason to have high expectations from a family resort. I think for first time travellers this resort would be fine but for the price we won't be back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort. I’m glad that you have shared your experience with us. Direct feedback from our customers, is the most valuable advice we can receive. It allows us to recognize our areas of weakness and make appropriate adjustments to our services and processes. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us.
I must say that I was rather surprised with your comments about the reception’s services during check in, since our receptionists are trained to provide an efficient and fast check in, giving at this time the most important information, such as, how to turn on the lights in the room, where to get the beach towels, where restaurants are located, etc., in any case. On another hand, as a standard operating procedure of the hotel, guests are explained where the rooms are located and are given a map on which the location is indicated. The bellboys deliver the luggage and guests take the train or walk to the rooms by themselves. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the reception team, if the service provided did not meet your expectations.
We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here at our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort or at any other Meliá Hotels property around the world.

Best Regard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (936)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Before leaving for our trip I kept reading reviews. I was extremely scared to go especially the money we were spending. I think people look for things to complain about and hope to get something for it. People tend to write when their unhappy and more people should write when they have a good time. With that said:

We loved the Paradisus Punta Cana. It was one of our best vacations. Definitely will be going back. We went on May 15, 2011 - this is low season. I don't like crowds but I wish it was a little more crowded for my kids. Sometimes the Kids Club was empty and my kids were the only ones in it. Next time I know to go a different time of year. We stayed in the Reserve section and had a one bedroom. We splurged for the Family Concierge which was worth the extra money. We were given a cell phone so we could contact our personal Concierge Jennifer (Jenny). She was so nice and treated us very well.

Pros: Beautiful grounds, rooms, beach, and pools. Most of the employees were very nice and even though some didn't speak English - it worked out. You are in another country - doesn't hurt to know a few words yourself. The Kids Club was wonderful. My kids (5 and 2 yrs old) loved it and I felt safe leaving them with the employees. Big thanks to Yahaira for babysitting as well. The Spa was great - one of the best massages (Jeannette). Free access to laptop computers at the Reserve Concierge. The food was ok/good not great. Vita was my favorite. I saw maintenance constantly fixing things. The day we arrived the step was broke and the next morning it was fixed. Close to shopping and outside Casinos especially if you stay in Reserve.

Suggestions: If a family has young children you should try to give them a room on 1st or 2nd floor - not 3rd! On-line room states queen size beds when they are actually double. Have a restaurant opened at the Reserve for lunch - the Grill by the pool is good for quick items but would like to sit without going to the other section. The two breakfast places to eat one at the Reserve and one at main area - both were buffet. Would have liked a sit down breakfast and to be served. Change dress code for dinner. I understand you don't want tanks, jeans, flip-flops, etc. but we couldn't go to two restaurants because my husband forgot to bring slacks. He did have dress shorts. You are on vacation and shouldn't have to dress up. The Concierge in our building didn't update the Restaurant schedule in a timely manner. Went to restaurant and it wasn't even open that day. This was low season and there were times that we had to wait for a tram especially at night. The drivers of the trams could have been a little friendlier. The Casino was extremely small - maybe 30 slot machines and about 5 weren't working. There was no night time entertainment for kids. Maybe a dance or movie night would be good. The shows didn't start until 10:15pm - too late for my kids. Maybe one or two nights keep the kids club open later for parents who would like a dinner alone. Wish they would have told me they have vendors come in so you can shop. That morning I went and I could have saved a trip.

Time Share: We were never approached by anyone for time share but did make appt prior to trip. Got discount on trip. They say its 90 minutes - its not - its 3 hours. I found the presentation interesting since I've never been to one and found out information. At this time for us, the price was too high. But would definitely think about it for the future because like I said it was one of our best trips.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

At our Resort we have the commitment to provide quality service beyond our guest’s expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence in service.
We have found your comments very interesting and useful. As far as the dress-code is concerned, we regret that you were not informed of it. Actually, in the welcome information, which is given to our guests, these regulations are indicated. However, we appreciate the observation and will reinforce the information. The established dress code for the a-la-carte restaurants is a no-shorts, no-sandals and no-t-shirts-without-sleeves policy for gentlemen; however we do not require jackets or suits. (tour operators are informed about this).
Concern to the situation about the service dedicated to younger children, we have activities starting at the age of four, a games room, where infants have a variety of age-appropriate games and activities among which are: to make necklaces, painting and films for children. On another hand we offer the Baby-sitting service for extra cost. Additionally, the KidsZone rule announce that it open from 9:00am to 7:00pm, and parents can under request leave their children until 10:00pm (request one day in advance).
Again thank you for taking the time to post your experience, it is very important to us. We will work according to your suggestions and strive to ensure the full satisfaction so many guests have experienced with us.
I can assure you that we are committed to improving all aspects of our guest’s experience and feedback like this will only double our efforts in achieving the level of consistency we lacked during your visit and we are looking forward to have the opportunity to serve you here at our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort.

Best regards

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

My Grandson, my wife and myself arrived before lunch time, at April 8, 2011 and we were told the hotel was OVERBOOKED and we were sent to another one, Bavaro Princess, for one day, so, we spent a day to do twice check-in/check-outs in both hotels, and waiting for the transportation to and from, and to pack/unpack our suit cases, my grandson was very upset, it was hot, no AC in the receptionist area, myself had a high blood pressure and so on, the compensation was $100, "to spend on medicine", but it was not so easy to get them, my wyfe was able to get them after the third try, spending time in lines, waiting for managers and so on. The local GO-GO representative was absolutely useless and even rude supporting the hotel, instead of some help we expecting. Buffets were very crowded, to get table have to stay in line about 20 mins in average, and again no AC, the food pretty same daily, the service was not perfect, sometimes we have to wait for coffee or tee, or try to find the waitress responsible for it.
It was not easy to find a chair or bed on the beach, most of them were " reserved by concierge", to get some have to be on the beach before 6:30AM, the reservation cost , I was told, $77 a day. Beach was good but the ocean waves big, my wife and grandson
used to go north, about 2 miles, to swim, where waives were not so big, the same about 3 miles south. The rooms were good, but sewer system did not worked properly, it was clogged wery often, I was tired to call for maitenance.
I can compare this hotel with "Ocean Blue", "Sandos" any "Iberostars" in Dominican Republic or Mexico, this one was the WORST. The personnel treat you like you owe them something and they do you a favour not service

Room Tip: Stay away of this hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Paradisus Punta Cana. I’m glad that you have shared your experience with us. Direct feedback from our customers, is the most valuable advice we can receive. It allows us to recognize our areas of weakness and make appropriate adjustments to our services and processes. Please be assured that your experience is the exception to the rule and not in keeping with our standards or expectations. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us.
I would like to clarify that the overbooking is not a common policy in our hotel, although on April 8 it was not possible to be evaded and it was caused by unexpected circumstances. I would like you to feel assured that the occurred is not in anyway representative of our overall service; the necessary measures have been already taken to avoid this type of situations in the future
I regret that the menu of some of our Restaurants was not of your liking, we have a great commitment with the gastronomic experience we offer, buying only top quality products within the offer of the island for both local and imported. Our Chefs are very dedicated professional and cook from their heart; however I have passed on to Food&Bavarage General Manager all your comments.
Once more, Dear Guest, thank you for your valuable comments. We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here at our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort again.

Best Regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I thouroughly enjoyed my trip here. We went in September of 2010 so it was "off season". There weren't many people there. So that was good in the sense that we did not have to wait long lines to go to the restaraunts. Our room was gorgeous. We initially booked the regular room on expedia, but once we got there they gave us the VIP upgrade. And trust me, it was much worth it. If I were to go back again, I would definately get the VIP rooms. We had room service as well as turn down service. All of the restaraunts on the resort were included. We did tip everytime we sat for a meal, so make sure you bring cash for that. But the service was phenomanal!!! It's a large resort. You can definately walk from place to place, but we rode the golf carts everywhere. It gets pretty dark at night so I wouldnt reccomend walking around at night. Not that there was any danger, but you could easily get lost. The beaches were nice. I think we only got bothered by a vendor twice. The food was incredible!!!! Again, get the VIP package, it is so worth it!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for staying at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort. I’m glad that you have shared your experience with us. Direct feedback from our customers, is the most valuable advice we can receive. It allows us to recognize our areas of weakness and make appropriate adjustments to our services and processes standards.
We must say that we experience a great satisfaction when we receive so many memorable remarks from our valuable guests; it gives us the approval and the energy to keep going all the way long and becomes a reward to us since our main purpose is to fulfill and most of all exceed our guests needs and wishes.

We truly appreciate you have chosen our Resort. It is an honor for us to see you again at our hotel. I am sure you will feel like if you were in your home because Paradisus Punta Cana is "your home away from home" in the Caribbean.

Sincerely
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

My wife and I went to this resort for our 1st yr. anniversary. When we got to the hotel, which was 30 min. From the airport, we were greeted with a concierge gentlemen. Which we later learned that he was a representative from a hotel company called Sol Melia which owns the Paradisus. Basically his job is to sell you like a time share type of investment but he told us that he was our personal concierge agent. So be careful because it kind of killed the moment when you first get to the hotel and you're excited. So, our first encounter wasn't great.

So, we checked in however our room wasn't ready yet so we headed to the lunch buffet. After we eat, we were a little disappointed with the food.

Now, without getting into a long drawn out review, I will say: the hotel is beautiful, the rooms are nice, not great, nice, and the beach is gorgeous; however, the food was ok which is unfortunate because the food is a big part of the vacation. And, the drinks seemed watered down big time. If you want better drinks, tip well even if this is an all inclusive hotel.

Lastly, be careful with Prieto Tours. They are a transportation company to and from the airport that you pay for. They were 30 min. Late in picking us up from the hotel when we were leaving. There buses are not bad but not great. We arrive for our flight just in time.

• Stayed May 2011
Racine, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

My husband and I traveled here for my best friends wedding! First, the wedding was absolutely beautiful! She had it on the beach around dinner time- there was a nice breeze - she was STUNNING! The reception was held at th GABI Beach bar ...we enjoyed appetizers and danced in the sand!! The wedding cake was delicious! We were upgraded upon arrival to the Reserve - which was very nice. A few minutes after check in we were served with champagne and fruit platter- than the next day we had a tropical floral basket delivered to our room as well! We had massages done on the ocean- wow was that WONDERFUL! We both enjoyed those! The beach was awesome, the pool was awesome!! WE loved the beds at the beach - so relaxing! The only downfalls would be the room cleanliness - but it wasnt horribe and DEFINETLY ask for FACE TOWELS when you first arrive- they were very hard to get- and I asked other guests that stayed there and they had the same problem??? The rugs in the room didnt look vaccummed when we arrived and the lighting was weird- we couldnt get our room light to work -only the bedside lamps and everything was connected to one switch in the bedroom. We didnt complain bcuz we were only in our room to shwer and get ready. Even though we were upgraded to the RESERVE we never used the REserve Pool and only ate the Reserve buffet on the last day. Otherwise we wanted to be by our friends and the regular main pool was way more lively and fun! The night shows were decent and the lobby bar was a ton of fun - we than would move to the disco bar after the lobby closed! We had a blast....and most of all my best friends wedding was awesome!!! Memories we will never forget! Oh and food was Ok. We really enjoyed the Italian place. Have a few shots of Mamajuana and your good to go for the night! Also just be firm with the guys that try to sell you timeshare visits etc...they asked us upon check in and once more- we didnt want to waste a day doing this! They will say only an hour but a couple friends of ours were gone from 9am-3pm doing one of these ! Unless your entire group is staying in the Reserve you really dont need to pay to upgrade- the regular rooms are fine and a bit closer to the beaches and restaurants etc....Try a Dirty Monkey at the pool bar! YUM!

Room Tip: you really dont need to pay extra for the Reserve!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

In reference to the room cleanliness I'd like you to know that we have passed your comments to our General Manager, we are really very sorry for any discomfort and we will be sure to resolve these issues immediately.

Sincerely

Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

My wife and I just returned from what we had hoped would be a perfect place to hold our wedding ceremony on May 7th, 2011. We chose the Paradisus Punta Cana Resort as most of the reviews we read were good and the resort itself looked beautiful. At first, everything we heard from their Miami-based wedding coordinator (Lauren Harder) sounded great so we went ahead and booked one of their Royal Service Ocean View Suites and invited our families and friends to the wedding. Once our rooms were booked and our deposit was paid to book the wedding day, everything started to go downhill. It would take days (or weeks in some cases) for the coordinator to respond to our emails and they were almost always 'at lunch' when we would call. The whole planning process became incredibly stressful and difficult to the point where we almost cancelled the whole wedding, although we were told we had already paid and would not get our money back anyway even if we cancelled. Our guests had already booked their flights and rooms as well so we went ahead with the planning.

When we first began our plans we had chosen the beach to hold the wedding ceremony but a few days later decided to change to the gazebo location and communicated that to the coordinator and began planning all the details. Two MONTHS later, she told us the gazebo was booked already and we could not use it. We asked her to contact the other wedding party and see if they would possibly switch with us and we were told that they would not switch. We understood that and started our decoration plans again from scratch. This would have been fine until we arrived at the resort to get married and found out that the gazebo was available (and ALWAYS had been) and that the other couple specifically wanted the beach location! I doubt the coordinator even bothered to contact them. We also asked her to check if they could make a custom made cake for us and sent her all the details. She told us that she checked all the bakeries in Punta Cana and that no one could do it, so my wife and I looked on the internet and found a local bakery who said they would be able to make the cake. When we arrived at the resort we asked the on-site wedding coordinator to help with arranging the delivery for the cake and gave her the details of the local bakery. It turns out, the local bakery we found on our own was the same one the resort uses. Again, I doubt the Miami coordinator even bothered to check to see if anyone could make the cake as it would be extra work for her.

When we finally arrived in Punta Cana, we were expecting that everything would finally go smoothly but quickly realized that was not going to happen. Before going to the resort we were asked to send our photos and arrival details so they would be there to welcome us, but when we arrived they had no idea we were even there for our wedding. We had to contact the resort's wedding coordinator to let them know we arrived and to find out how to get in touch with them. A few days later, after telling them we were a bit upset, they had someone make a dove out of bath towels and put some rose petals on our bed, but it was a couple days too late.

The problems continued with our rehearsal dinner. We were sent menus from all the restaurants where we could have it and were told to choose which we wanted. We decided on the Gabi Restaurant and asked if we would be able to order a la carte as it would be for just 12 people. They told us this would be no problem. However, when we arrived, we were told that the Gabi Restaurant would not be open that night and that we would have to go somewhere else, although they still agreed to let us order off the Gabi menu. When we arrived at the restaurant, they began serving us the generic meal rather than let us choose a la carte as promised. It was an embarrassment to have to argue with them again in front of our families after having so many other things go wrong up to that point.

To add to the frustration was our experience with the so-called 'Royal Service' package, which is a complete waste of money. They say there is a 'personal butler' that will be around to help with everything, car service around the resort, local cell-phone use, etc. In actuality, the personal butler is just a couple guys who are responsible for all the Royal Service guests in the entire resort. Service was very slow. As for the car to pick you up, of the ten times we called to get a ride, it only came twice that we know of. After waiting over 30 minutes each time we would finally have to walk as we would be late for our reservations. Also, I have no idea what they mean by having a local cell phone to use. They did not know what we were talking about when we asked about it. We also had issues with the room not being cleaned in a timely manner. My wife had the photographer coming to the room to take photos of her getting ready and the room was barely cleaned in time even after making several calls throughout the day to ask them to come. The room itself was also incredibly noisy due to the wind coming off the ocean and the room was not insulated for the sound so paying up for the Ocean View suite turned out to be the wrong choice.

Also be wary of the Reserve. Although it is a very nice area that some of my guests stayed at, it is as far away from the beach as you can get. If you want to be anywhere close to the beach, do not pay up for the Reserve. If you plan to spend the whole vacation by the pool, the Reserve is nice, but why go all the way to the DR to sit by the pool?

The final frustration was when they tried to be nice and arrange for flower petals to be put on our bed for our wedding night. When we returned to the room we found that they had left a note saying that they decided to take all our valuables out of our room 'for our protection.' Our camera, wallets, jewelry, and anything else that we had not put in the safe were all taken and we had to go to the front desk late at night to retrieve all of it. When we got there, we found that one of my wife's diamond earings was missing. She spent the day after our wedding meeting with security and filling out forms but they basically told her it was not the resort's responsibility even though it was them who took everything out of our room! We have still not heard anything back from them about what they are going to do but based on the overall experience at the resort I am pretty sure they will do nothing.

Now, to be fair, there were a few good things about the resort. Individually, the staff members were very friendly and hard-working, although the overall operation has some severe issues. The on-site wedding coordinators, Miguelina and Jennifer (not to be confused with the absolutely terrible Miami-based coordinator) were very good and helped to make up for a lot of the issues we had. They were able to help us make a last-minute switch to have our ceremony at the gazebo and the decorations were beautiful and organized as planned. The reception we had at the Romantico Restaurant was nice as well. Our photographer, Joaquin, from the studio on the resort was great and very professional (although the pictures were much more expensive than we planned for). Punta Cana itself was also beautiful with incredible beaches and blue water so I would recommend visiting it, although if I were to go back I would definitely choose a different resort if you are looking for a stress free holiday.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!