My husband, myself and our 13 month old daughter stayed at the PPC May12-19. As we were there to attend our friends wedding we didn't pick this resort ourselves.
Check-in & Room
The group of 20 arrived after 6pm which we figured would make for a quick check-in being so late in the day however with 2 front desk clerks it took nearly 2 hours. We were told that the bellboys would bring our luggage and show us to our room. We along with another couple from our group jumped in the trolly cart and were driven to our buildings where our friends realized that someone else (another couple from our group) was already in their room. The bellboys both went to the room to figure things out...when they came back to my family who had been sitting in the cart; they walked right past us up the path. I began walking up the pathway to find our room in which the bellboy asked where I was going. When I explained that we had a baby (clearly) and just wanted to get to our room and asked if the next building was ours and they simply said yeah and watched me jog back to my husband where we then unloaded our luggage from the trolly and proceeded to our room. Once in the room (ground level) we realized that the patio door lock was broken and the fridge (not a fridge but cooler) was also not working. If our daughter wasn't with us the fridge would not have been a big concern but I had brought cold snacks from home and needed to keep milk for her daily. Maintainence did arrive in a timely manner but it unfortunate that we had to make that call in the first place. The room was clean but run down; daily maid service was very inconsistant. One day they would knock at 7am the next no one showed up until 4pm. Even if the room was cleaned we wouldn't get towels until hours later or not at all. We didn't have a face cloth until day 5. Chambermaids were nice and we most certainly left tips daily.
Resort & Service
The resort grounds are very beautiful and lush; I enjoyed the gardens and sounds of the birds; the beach of course is stunning. Incredible ocean water and very little seaweed if that's a concern to anyone. We were a little surprised that there was no pool or beach service; we've stayed at resorts in the Mayan Riviera and were overwhelmed by smiling happy service at every corner; something we did not experience once while at the Paradisus. My husband and I greeted every staff member we seen and usually received a smile and greeting back. But rarely did the staff greet us first. Maybe being such a large resort they aren't used to the guests speaking to them; it honestly confused me...
The restaurant staff was slightly more outgoing; one server was excellent and stands out to me; Ramone Santana. He was charming, entertaining and very efficient. The food overall was decent; no one in our group got sick. I found that the fruit and yogurt wasn't kept as cold as it should at the buffet. And yes I know I was in a very humid hot location but food safety at a family resort should be high priority. The beach grill was a great lunch option with its pasta bar and the chinese and brazilian restaurants were the fav dinner spots from our group. Room service regardless the time of day or night took at least an hour so call early if you enjoy breakfast in your room.
The wedding was very beautiful; ceremony was on the beach, reception in a private open air room. We were very surprised to find out that the bride and groom had to pay over and above their wedding package to have a bar and dinner for the guests being that we were all staying at the resort and who had paid for all inclusive. We had a destination wedding and didn't have those surprise expenses so it definately made us feel badly for our friends as it wasn't a small charge. They used the hotel wedding photographer and were very pleased with his work and the price was reasonable.
My husband and I decided to get family photos done by the on site photographer; we had 45 minutes with the photographer and by that evening we were able to view our edited photos. They actually exceeded my expectations but be prepared. They charge you $10 US per print. We of course wanted the entire edited shoot (86 photos); in which they gave us a package deal for $500; a price I would have never paid for home but our daughter is only one once so they were images we felt we could splurge on.
Overall we made the best of our week at PPC; the grounds and beach again are very beautiful and I think the resort has potential. But for our family it was too big and fell short when it came to the service. I truly am not one to be negative or complain but where we have stayed before was so exceptional it made it difficult not to compare the resorts. Also being a new mother and travelling with our baby gave us more reason to have high expectations from a family resort. I think for first time travellers this resort would be fine but for the price we won't be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the unpretentious luxury of Paradisus Punta Cana Resort. An extraordinary island retreat offering a super balance of natural and man-made wonders. Open-air architecture, featuring indigenous organic materials like raw coral and exotic hardwoods, houses an impossibly sumtuous gallery of luxury Suites and an exclusive Garden Villa. All-inclusive and all encompassing, Paradisus Punta Cana Resort is an ocean front playground for all ages. Tennis, championship golf, every non-motorized water sport imaginable, a magnificent array of restaurants, our own Casino, an incredible Spa For Kids, an exquisite full-service spa and health club and personal world-class service all seamlessly unite to deliver you the relaxing, romantic, carefree, fun-filled experience of a lifetime. The Resort features 688 oversized suites including 143 Royal Service Suites and 4 Ambassador Oceanview Suites, plus a one-of-a-kind oceanfront Garden Villa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Melia, Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Venere, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Paradisus Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Paradisus Punta Cana Resort