“Amazing Resort!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to $1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #26 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
East Elmhurst, New York
“Amazing Resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Amazing resort!

Upon check-in to the resort people are friendly and helpful, the lobby is amazing! Beautiful gardens, bar at the lobby for people who want a drink while you check-in,
The grown throw out the entire resort are beautiful, clean and well maintained.
The rooms are really nice; there are 12 restaurants in the resort, so you have a lot! Of option. The food is good at all the restaurants! Same with the drinks. The pools are nice and clean. There are a lot of activities in and out the resort like: parasailing, snorkeling, scuba diving, Boogie car, etc (I recommend to go to the Saona Island). The beach is AMAZING! White sand, nice waves, what else could you ask for! :)

This resort is AMAZING I definitely recommend this resort to friends, family and couples. My girlfriend I love this place that we started making plans for next year to this resort.

Resort: Amazing
People at the Resort: Friendly
Food: Good
Drinks: Good
Rooms: Nice and Clean

Over all: Amazing Resort. 10 out of 10
Reason for my trip was my gift to my girlfriend for her birthday/anniversary

I would like to Thanks everyone at the resort and to:
Juana-Front Desk Agent
Joel Diaz-Bartender at Reserve
Lenny- Scuba Co
Gerardo”Chipichipi”- Scuba Co
Maria-YHI Spa

And the persons who went above and beyond:
Alejandro-Concierge
Noel-Driver

Gracias a todas las personas en este resort… Nos veremos el proximo año!

For anyone who ready this review. Trust me, you going to have a wonderful time in this resort and DON’T pay attention to the bad reviews!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our thanks for your valuable comments and appreciate your confidence to recommend our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort. I’m glad that you have shared your experience with us. Direct feedback from our customers, is the most valuable advice we can receive it gives us the approval and the energy to keep going all the way long and becomes a reward to us since our main purpose is to fulfill and most of all exceed our guests needs and wishes.
We appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests and make your stay unforgettable. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence in service.
We truly appreciate you have chosen our Resort. It would be an honor for us to see you again at our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort "your home away from home" in the Caribbean.

Best regards,

4,569 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I am going to tell anyone who booked this hotel or is thinking about booking this hotel...do not be scared off by the bad reviews! This resort is absolutely stunning. The grounds are amazingly kept, the rooms are elegant, the majority of the staff are very personable, the nightly shows are lively and entertaining, and the disco in the red lounge (which is so elegant, yet cozy, and AIR CONDITIONED!!) is so much fun! The grounds are a pleasure to walk, and there is greenery everywhere you look. The pool is HUGE, with so many trees and and the swim up bar, served by Juan and Wilifredo, is a BLAST!! I would love to plan my next vacation once again at the Paradisus. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If someone offers you a promotion, say no!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for let us know about your recent stay at Paradisus Punta Cana, I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, that made me feel very proud of our property service and staff that contribute to that wonderful experience.

Thank you again for selected Paradisus Punta Cana, we are looking forward to receive you and your family in another future stay!

Kindest regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I just got back from the Paradisus Punta Cana for a vacation with my wife and friends. I went for the beach and for the beach it's great! All other services are seriously lacking. I would check other resorts for value.

As I said I went for the beach and after walking the beach the Paradisus has an excellent waterfront which I thoroughly enjoyed. As for the food and accomodations I found the resort to be lacking. The resort has beautiful grounds and a beautiful pool and pool bar. As for the food, room, service, etc. this is what I was seriously disappointed with.

Beach - Half the hotels chaise lounges were broken, bent, or in need of repair. This I found to be a problem for it made it necessary to reserve your seats early on the beach.

Food - I have one prior experience with an all inclusive resort being Dreams in Cancun last year where I found the food top shelf. The food at this resort compares to food between a youth summer camp and Old Country Buffet or Golden Corral. Many things are served buffet and the food is seriously lacking. At breakfast when you look aroung you will see scrambled eggs that are waterry and runny. The juices served in fountains are watered down. Many other of the breakfast foods are lacking in quality and appearance.

At lunch many dishes are again served buffet style with foods that just didn't cut it. My travel companions opted to try out the grill for just burgers, hot dogs, and fries and the service took forever. The burger was low quality and filled with gristle, sinew and ultimately sickened two of the us. As far as dinners, I only had two quality dinner meals the eniter time I was here. The appeal, flavor, and overall quality of the food is deplorable.

Bar - The bartenders were accomodating; however, there was no waiter service on the beach which I was accustomed to in Cancun. My wife drinks White Zinfandel wine and when I have a cocktail I mix it with ginger ale. They only had two types of wine (chardonnay or rose) and they don't have ginger ale. Really now, what bar does not stock ginger ale.

Room & Service - The room was nice; however, it took four days for me to get a wash cloth. Come on now, really! I use a wash cloth to wash my face for shaving and to wash in the shower. The first day we were only provided with one wash cloth, the next few days between calling the front desk and requesting wash cloths or speaking to the maid I had none. I resorted to using the corner of a hand towel. And then...no hot water and poor water pressure. Many times we had little or no hot water and the water pressure was brutally poor in that it wouldn't even wash beach sand off of you.

Overall Service - The overall service was not bad. We found that It was more difficult to have the help understand your requests for their english was not developed as well as my accomdoations in Cancun.

So......for $4,200.00 I think you could find a much better value in Punta Cana. My converstations with travelers at other resorts have spoken of much better food, accomdations, and service. Check them out before you go to the Paradisus, but if you come here for just the beach you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Take a serious look at other resorts
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Paradisus Punta Cana. I’m glad that you have shared your experience with us. Direct feedback from our customers, is the most valuable advice we can receive. It allows us to recognize our areas of weakness and make appropriate adjustments to our services and processes.
I was rather surprised with your comments about the service received during your stay at our Resort. Regarding to the food quality, in order to satisfy the demands of our guests, we offer a variety of specialty restaurants, buffet and a-la-carte, with a wide gastronomic selection of meals, buying only top quality products within the offer of the island for both local and imported. Our Chef is very dedicated and cooks from the heart; however I have passed on to him all your comments.
Concerning to the Room Service please be assured that your experience was the exception to the rule and not in keeping with our standards or expectations. Your comments have been shared with the Department Head for follow up and corrective action.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments. We are looking forward to have the opportunity to serve you here at our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort and I would assure you will find the improvements on the aspects you mentioned.

Best regards

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

The Reserve is a beautiful place. Unfortunately the service is not so great. You see most of the employees from the time you wake up for breakfast until late night. At breakfast some of the buffet staff are very rude and not so pleasant. My family had to wait 10 minutes for a table to be cleaned, the place wasn't full. The waitress was very rude and arrogant when I asked her can we sit by a nice view. "why don't you sit at the other table that's clean" Wow...what happen to"The Pure Freedom to Just Be" motto. I told her We just want to enjoy our vacation. Sadly, one person can make it bad for everyone else. We won't patronize this resort, again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our thanks for your valuable comments. I’m glad that you have shared your experience with us. Direct feedback from our customers, is the most valuable advice we can receive, it gives us the approval and the energy to keep going all the way long and becomes a reward to us since our main purpose is to fulfill and most of all exceed our guests needs and wishes.
I was rather surprised with your comments about the situation described by you at the Restaurant. Please, do not doubt that guest satisfaction is our top priority and for us is very important that our guests feel comfortable and pleased, and get the best service from our staff at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort. We have an average of more than a 40% of returning guests that appreciate and thank the attention and treatment dispensed by our staff.

Kinds Regards,
Bonaire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I recently stayed at Paradisus Punta Cana with a large group as part of a corporate event. We stayed in an area called The Reserve, which is marketed as an exclusive area within the confines of the resort. I am not a person who enjoys large, all-inclusive resorts, but I went into this experience with an open mind.

We arrived around 1:00 pm, and our rooms were not ready. We were told to return at 3:00 pm to check on the status of our rooms. There was no welcome drink upon arrival. We wandered over to the restaurant in hopes of procuring lunch, but found an unappealing buffet. Deciding to wander a bit further, we found a grill station by the pool where I proceeded to dine on a pizza that tasted like a cardboard box. More on the food later…

Room
We were finally assigned to our room, which was on the second floor by The Reserve pool. We were given a Master Suite, which was spacious, clean and comfortable. We booked a King bed and were disappointed to find two full beds. The front desk was unapologetic about the error, and informed us that there was nothing they could do. During check in, a colleague mentioned that the hotel was overbooked and that they were sending guests to another hotel. Based on this information, I’m not surprised that we received the wrong room type. Our room had some nice features, such as a spacious balcony, a Jacuzzi tub, dual sinks and comfortable furniture. There is a “kitchen” in the suite; however, there is no stove or microwave for cooking. Also, the refrigerator is very small, and the offerings in the mini bar are sparse, and the alcoholic selection consisted of only one can of local beer. The resort has a strange practice of routinely shutting off the power to the rooms during mid-day (most likely a money saver, since everything else here seems to be cheap), but they do not inform guests of this in advance. Please be aware of this if you have medicine stored in the refrigerator, or if you need power for any other reason.

Hotel Grounds
The resort is absolutely enormous (in a cumbersome way) but surprisingly well landscaped for its size. The Reserve area is a 10-minute walk to the beach. The hotel provides a shuttle, but it was never to be seen when we needed a ride. The Reserve beach is roped off from the hotel’s regular beach, presumably to further the impression of exclusivity. There is also a section of beach for “Royal Service” guests, which is apparently another tier of exclusivity. The concept of “hierarchical exclusivity” promoted by the resort was just silly, and I don’t understand the attraction to this concept. No area of the resort is truly upscale or exclusive, and the fact that the resort markets itself as five star is absurd. The beach itself is below average by Caribbean standards, and the water is rough. The ocean was tainted with oil slicks, presumably deposited by the many boats that plow through at dangerous speeds amongst the swimmers (watch out for yourself as the boats certainly aren’t watching for you). The beach is also extremely crowded – basically a sea of people.

Another issue I had with the hotel grounds pertains to the lack of sidewalks for pedestrians. The resort is so large that the staff and guests (who so choose) use motorized transportation to get around. There are pathways throughout the resort for the shuttles (basically oversized golf carts), but they speed through the pathways with no regard for the guests who want to walk. Pedestrians were treated like second-class citizens as the golf carts whizzed by, forcing them onto the grass. It was not only annoying, but also dangerous.

Pool
The Reserve pool is large and attractive, with multiple in-water features such as sunbeds, a swim-up bar and waterfalls. We retreated to the pool on most days, as the beach was simply too crowded to be relaxing. Be aware that the “towel game” is played here in full force. This is the rude practice where people arise at 5:00 or 6:00 am to place their towels on a lounge chair (beach and pool), only to appear hours later or even after noon to use the chairs. This is the reason why you will see a sea of chairs with towels plunked on them, but no bodies. The bottom line is that there are not enough chairs for the guests. The pool area has drink service, which was frequent, friendly and reliable. We enjoyed chatting with the pool servers, as most were very friendly. The resort needs to invest in some new sunbeds since many were tattered and torn – not a very attractive or appealing look. A previous reviewer mentioned that someone had defecated in the pool and that the staff did very little to mitigate the damages. I can vouch for this, as I was also a witness to the incident.

The service here is very hit or miss. Some employees were very friendly, while others were downright rude. It is not five-star or even four-star service by any stretch of the imagination. It seems as if many of the employees simply do not care if the guests enjoy their stay. In fairness, there were some friendly employees at the spa and pool. The employees in the buffet area were apathetic, for the most part. Be prepared to wait until the end of your breakfast for coffee, and also be prepared to have the omelet maker rolls his eyes at you if you have any special requests (such as removing stray meat from your vegetarian omelet). Oh, and forget about getting a drink at the swim up bar in the pool.

At best, the food is poor quality and unappealing . At worst, it was the cause of multiple bouts of food borne sickness among our group (experienced by both my husband and me). During our stay, we lived on protein bars brought from home, corn flakes (with no milk) and saltine crackers from the breakfast buffet. At one point, I grabbed an apple from the buffet thinking that surely it must be safe. Unfortunately, I was wrong, as it was brown and mushy. Some phrases that come to mind when describing the food:

-Canned Fruit
-Stale pastries
-Swimming in oil, or unknown oil like substances
-Buffet, buffet, buffet (you’d better like them if you stay here)
-Orange juice “from concentrate” (basically, a small amount of orange juice mixed with a large amount of water)
-Unidentifiable food items with names like “seafood surprise”
-Small, cramped buffet room in Gabi restaurant
-Substandard service
-Visually repulsive
-Nausea
-Intestinal distress
-Frozen
-Microwave
-Drinks made with cheap mixers (they actually fill the bottoms of many drinks with chocolate syrup to make them palatable and then call the drink “dirty”).

In keeping with my theory that all reviews should highlight at least one positive, I will say that the coffee here was quite good. However, it often took far too long to receive a cup of it…

To sum up my thoughts on the food, I think I prefer the coach-class meals on a US based domestic airline flight to the food at Paradisus.

Other things to note about Paradisus:

-The water is not potable, and you must brush your teeth with bottled water.
-No hair conditioner is provided in room, and the toiletries are of poor quality.
-The wristband dyed my wrist blue, as well as my husband’s.
-Bring protein bars from home if you do not want to starve. Due to the inedible food, many of us lost weight on the trip and jokingly likened the trip to a stay at Canyon Ranch.

Overall, this is a low quality mega-resort that caters to the masses. My overall impression was one of a disorganized mess, where everything is either a huge hassle or completely annoying. We wanted to leave after one day, but since it was a corporate affair we felt that this would be rude.

For the record, this is the first one star review that I have submitted to Tripadvisor, other than the review for this resort’s Gabi Restaurant.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed in the Reserve.
(1) Restaurants weren't open as published in the booklet due to low occupancy. They didn't let us know ahead of time. We were going to from one place to another for lunch in the heat.
(2) There are not enough bus shuttle taking us inside the resort. At one time we had to wait for 25 minutes.
(3) There were coffee ground from last occupants in the coffee maker and we didn't realize it until our tea from the pot turned out black.
(4) There was water leaking from the ceiling one day from the AC unit above the ceiling.
(5) Housekeeper entered our room despite the do not disturb sign.
(6) 80% of the people here don't speak English, if you want to ask something. Good luck.
The food at Vento and El Romantico were good.

Lanett, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We were at this resort for a wedding last week. I have to say, after reading MANY reviews before we left, most of which were negative, I went on this trip with low expectations. However, I wonder now where these other reviewers actually stayed?!

We had no problems whatsoever with check-in, or rooms, or the beach and chairs, as many have complained about. We stayed in a HUGE room in the Reserve, much bigger than expected. It was like a one bedroom apartment! The concierge assigned to our building (Francis) was so extremely friendly and helpful.

Food , in general , at all-inclusive resorts is usually just average no matter where you travel, but of the many restaurants they have here to choose from, most were above average. You do not go to an all-inclusive to experience gourmet meals. And if you look at the website before you travel, you will clearly see that none of the restaurants accept reservations. We knew this beforehand, so did not expect otherwise, and BTW had no problems at all getting a table. We usually ate around 7 PM, possibly it's more of an issue at later times. I would recommend the Romantico and Vento. Also, the dress codes are clearly described on the website as well.

Nightlife is minimal - there is a small casino and small disco - but again, all -inclusives are not really celebrated for their excellent night time activities.

As for the language barrier, we found none at all. Again, the negative reviews listed here are unwarranted. We found all the staff members to be extremely friendly, very helpful, and they spoke quite good English - after all, you are in a foreign country - visitors should respect the native language and not expect fluent, perfect English to be spoken - even though as I said, we found all staff to speak English quite well.

I would highly recommend The Reserve, as opposed to a regular room. The private pool and private beach area was very nice and never too crowded to find chairs at all. We did not see the Royal Service rooms but were told by others in our party that the rooms were older and smaller than those of the Reserve, even though they are definitely closer to the beach. The trolley cars come by very often to transport you to wherever you need to go on the resort so being further from the beach at the Reserve was not a problem, in my opinion.

In closing, I felt I needed to write this review in order to dispute the negative ones that seem to dominate this site. If you do a bit of planning before you travel, you will already know what to expect when you arrive, such as the separate check-in area for The Reserve, and the no-reservation policy for the multiple restaurants. We certainly enjoyed our stay very much and would not hesitate to return . It is a beautiful resort for a very reasonable price. If you are looking for gourmet food, do not go to an all inclusive resort.

Room Tip: Book The Reserve - very nice!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!