Just got back from a 4 night/5 day stay (wish it could have been longer) to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. Thanks to all the people on the forums who answered questions, very helpful. First time visiting Punta Cana and I am still in awe. We have been to various adult only AI resorts/chains but this was my favorite destination. We booked a standard room and while it lacked any romantic appeal whatsoever overall it was fine. I would love to return and try for an ocean front club premium suite next time. Key word: next time. We never visit a resort twice and this is one I would consider. We've been to iberostar Grand, Secrets and Excellence in various locations. I will highlight pros and cons. A HUGE shout out to Carlos Mateo at the Mamey lobby bar. Exceptional service, even refused a tip and asked us to give it to the waitress instead even though he was our daytime bartender. Don't let him get away, he's an asset to the resort.
Highlights or pros:
Prepaid $10 tourist card online, awesome!
Get a porter at the airport, he literally took our luggage, handed someone our immigration form (or whatever that was we filled out ahead) and was out the door to our transportation in less than 5 minutes.
Weather was perfect, hot and humid but not one drop of rain!
Chez Gourmet - WOW!! Loved it so much, had 3 out of 4 dinners there. Changed our reservations around. Get the Chateauxbriand, generous portion, beautiful presentation and melted in our mouths. They had a speciality appetizer that varied each night, yum. Tried the Seafood next door, we just were "okay" with it. Service and ambiance at Chez Gourmet, bueno!
Main pool, beautiful. Never a problem finding seats any time of day and the resort was quite busy. For hurricane season supposedly, occupancy was not low IMO.
Get the google translator app. Was able to use it to communicate with our housekeeper and she hooked us up the entire stay. I wish I knew her name. We were in room 3073 from 9/14 through 9/18 if this helps management figure out who was assigned to our room. Was able to personally give her a nice tip from the start.
Beach: whitest sand and clear ocean. Very minimal seaweed and the palm trees are abundant.
We participated in beach volleyball and I did aqua aerobics/Zumba at noon in the ocean. Fun!
Upon arrival we were kind of disappointed in the room. No view, tiny balcony and bare minimum. However I will say management did offer to move us the next day next door to the Palace in an upgraded suite with jacuzzi on balcony. However glad we got to "sleep on it" - after visiting next door and how busy it was we were happy to return to the adult side. The room- bed amazingly comfortable, great soft linens, COLD ac, hot/great water pressure so it was more than adequate and honestly was content. We did hear how nice the rooms were for Club Premium (sold out) so will keep that in mind when booking.
Disco: no one ever mentions it? It's cold (that's a good thing!), HUGE inside with 2 bars and a mega screen that plays videos while the DJ is on. It really picks up the later it gets. If you arrive at 11 when it opens, don't be disappointed or surprised to see only a few people. It really picks up late. Nicest disco of all resorts we've been to.
Cons or maybe suggestions?
Wifi- pain to have to keep logging in. Didn't make it easy as it was a sequence of numbers for login and password. Had to keep my receipt on me at all times to reference back to. It's a shame it didn't keep you logged "in".
Music: the main pool needs to have a bit more lively/volume up a bit music. It was nice to hear the music from the activities on the beach. Doesn't mean it has to be cranked up like it was next door but a few notches up wouldn't hurt.
Room service. Wow, this is something we've had at all adult only resorts. Always 24hrs too. You don't realize until it's not available how much it's appreciated.
Room ambiance. It just lacked that "adult/romance" feel. But see above re the big pluses for the room.
I am sure I am missing a lot on both highlights and suggestions but feel free to PM me and ask away.
Would we return? ABSOLUTELY! I have looked at others for possible visits next year for our 25th and I keep coming back to my pictures and our overall experience and think why change? I do hope to be able to book the Club Premium next year. To me the additional perks seem worth it and what I overheard from other guests it was.
Piña Colada with Barcelo rum, YUM! Had no tummy issues at all from any food or drinks. Made sure we had plenty of bottled water to brush our teeth and for that first starter pot of coffee. Tip: double up the pods for one pot. We like our coffee stronger so it helped.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only*****hotel is located on one of the 10 best beaches in the world, in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic. This dreamy hotel has reinvented itself after a complete renovation to become an exclusive hotel for adults only. The hotel offers first class rooms 80% of which are located right on the beachfront. This makes it the most perfect place for a romantic getaway. Enjoy the exquisite range of cuisine on offer at the hotel through the Barcelo All Inclusive Programme with its Caribbean Buffet, Chez Gourmet and La Brisa restaurants; 9 a-la-carte restaurant options: Chez Gourmet (international), La Brisa (Mediterranean), El Coral (fish and seafood), Santa Fe (meat), La Dolce Vita (Italian), Mexico Lindo (Mexican), La Fuente (Spanish), Kyoto (Japanese) and La Comedie (Gourmet - additional charge except for Club Premium guests). Visit the facilities where you can find different options to fill your days: football pitch, tennis court, swimming pool, golf course, water sports, wellness centre, theatre and casino. This exclusive resort set on a virgin beach welcomes you with a cocktail, spoils you with drinks by the pool and offers you a 45 minute hydrothermal circuit, per person once during your stay. There are also 2 massage beds in the pool area (at an additional charge). Staying at this hotel also grants guests access to the facilities of the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, a hotel which shares some of its services and facilities. This hotel is one of the very few in the country that boasts the international BLUE FLAG for compliance with the standards required by the non-profit non-governmental organisation the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). Come and rediscover the marvels the Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only***** hotel has to offer! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Barcelo, Expedia, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Barcelo Bavaro Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Barcelo Bavaro Punta Cana
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
- Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Bavaro Beach Resort
- Barcelo Punta Cana Resort
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort Punta Cana