I stayed, alone, at the Barceló Beach hotel for a few days mid-August. The hotel is not without its faults and it appears universally acknowledged within Trip Advisor that the food and restaurant systems leave room for improvement. Nonetheless, I found this hotel to represent incredibly good value and it provided everything that I could have wished for in a holiday of pure relaxation.
I made one complaint concerning the failure of the Spanish restaurant, (in the Palace Deluxe) to provide tables for guests who had booked there. I will not dwell on this because I received a prompt response to my complaint and all efforts were made to compensate me for the inconvenience. The manager to whom I spoke - Carmen Caminero - appeared to feel genuinely sorry that one of the hotel's guests had experienced poor service and she seemed to appreciate the feedback. It addition to a phone call, (conducted in excellent English- thanks) and a couple of letters delivered to my room, she also had me sent a magnificent basket of fruit, which was delivered to my room by two extremely cheerful and friendly members of staff.
I experienced nothing but courteous and friendly service from staff, from the minute a taxi-driver dropped me at the wrong hotel and staff immediately summoned a golf-buggy to transport me swiftly. The only moments of awkwardness came when my lack of Spanish meant that it took a while to communicate my needs. Fortunately for me, most staff spoke considerably more English than I do Spanish, for which I am most grateful.
The pool was the nicest I have experienced, it was large enough for those wanting to swim, mooch (and smooch) around, relax in the spa or water jet areas or merely lie on the submerged loungers which offered welcome respite from the heat. The beach and sea were simply lovely with ample sun- loungers. A short walk along the beach (or a ride on the train) brings you to the larger, more vibrant area of the complex. This is not my idea of relaxation so I avoided the casino and theatre and merely used the gym, attending a relatively lack-lustre but, nonetheless, enjoyable spin class.
I loved my apartment, which was located in a low-rise, faux colonial style building with a tropical garden in its centre. It was incredibly spacious with an entrance hall, double-sink and bathroom and separate twin bedded room with a lounge area leading to a balcony with a sea and pool view. The toiletries, nibbles and drinks were replenished each day and the free mini-bar was a nice touch although it did not stock wine. Although there were parts of the room that were tired and a little shabby, particularly the bathroom, I enjoyed every minute I spent in this comfortable space. The air-con was perfect.
I know that this resort could have offered more in the way of quality and luxury but I would probably not be able to afford to stay there if it did. As it is, I was able to enjoy a taste of paradise and was allowed to relax in beautiful and clean surroundings where a hardworking team of staff catered for my every need. If I ever find the money to return, I will definitely book into the Barceló Beach. Much as I love children, it was heaven to escape from the noise they tend to make.
2 suggestions that would have slightly enhanced my experience: I would have welcomed an indication as to which buffet dishes were vegetarian and, in the ground floor public showers, it would have been good to have had a spin-dry machine and plastic bags so that I could have easily packed my costume before heading to the airport.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only*****hotel is located on one of the 10 best beaches in the world, in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic. This dreamy hotel has reinvented itself after a complete renovation to become an exclusive hotel for adults only. The hotel offers first class rooms 80% of which are located right on the beachfront. This makes it the most perfect place for a romantic getaway. Enjoy the exquisite range of cuisine on offer at the hotel through the Barcelo All Inclusive Programme with its Caribbean Buffet, Chez Gourmet and La Brisa restaurants; 9 a-la-carte restaurant options: Chez Gourmet (international), La Brisa (Mediterranean), El Coral (fish and seafood), Santa Fe (meat), La Dolce Vita (Italian), Mexico Lindo (Mexican), La Fuente (Spanish), Kyoto (Japanese) and La Comedie (Gourmet - additional charge except for Club Premium guests). Visit the facilities where you can find different options to fill your days: football pitch, tennis court, swimming pool, golf course, water sports, wellness centre, theatre and casino. This exclusive resort set on a virgin beach welcomes you with a cocktail, spoils you with drinks by the pool and offers you a 45 minute hydrothermal circuit, per person once during your stay. There are also 2 massage beds in the pool area (at an additional charge). Staying at this hotel also grants guests access to the facilities of the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, a hotel which shares some of its services and facilities. This hotel is one of the very few in the country that boasts the international BLUE FLAG for compliance with the standards required by the non-profit non-governmental organisation the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). Come and rediscover the marvels the Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only***** hotel has to offer! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Booking.com, Venere, Priceline, Hotels.com, Despegar.com and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Barcelo Bavaro Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Barcelo Bavaro Punta Cana
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
- Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Bavaro Beach Resort
- Barcelo Punta Cana Resort
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort Punta Cana