“An amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Bavaro Km. 1, 23301 Bavaro-Punta Cana | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #15 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Brighton
“An amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed, alone, at the Barceló Beach hotel for a few days mid-August. The hotel is not without its faults and it appears universally acknowledged within Trip Advisor that the food and restaurant systems leave room for improvement. Nonetheless, I found this hotel to represent incredibly good value and it provided everything that I could have wished for in a holiday of pure relaxation.
I made one complaint concerning the failure of the Spanish restaurant, (in the Palace Deluxe) to provide tables for guests who had booked there. I will not dwell on this because I received a prompt response to my complaint and all efforts were made to compensate me for the inconvenience. The manager to whom I spoke - Carmen Caminero - appeared to feel genuinely sorry that one of the hotel's guests had experienced poor service and she seemed to appreciate the feedback. It addition to a phone call, (conducted in excellent English- thanks) and a couple of letters delivered to my room, she also had me sent a magnificent basket of fruit, which was delivered to my room by two extremely cheerful and friendly members of staff.
I experienced nothing but courteous and friendly service from staff, from the minute a taxi-driver dropped me at the wrong hotel and staff immediately summoned a golf-buggy to transport me swiftly. The only moments of awkwardness came when my lack of Spanish meant that it took a while to communicate my needs. Fortunately for me, most staff spoke considerably more English than I do Spanish, for which I am most grateful.
The pool was the nicest I have experienced, it was large enough for those wanting to swim, mooch (and smooch) around, relax in the spa or water jet areas or merely lie on the submerged loungers which offered welcome respite from the heat. The beach and sea were simply lovely with ample sun- loungers. A short walk along the beach (or a ride on the train) brings you to the larger, more vibrant area of the complex. This is not my idea of relaxation so I avoided the casino and theatre and merely used the gym, attending a relatively lack-lustre but, nonetheless, enjoyable spin class.
I loved my apartment, which was located in a low-rise, faux colonial style building with a tropical garden in its centre. It was incredibly spacious with an entrance hall, double-sink and bathroom and separate twin bedded room with a lounge area leading to a balcony with a sea and pool view. The toiletries, nibbles and drinks were replenished each day and the free mini-bar was a nice touch although it did not stock wine. Although there were parts of the room that were tired and a little shabby, particularly the bathroom, I enjoyed every minute I spent in this comfortable space. The air-con was perfect.
I know that this resort could have offered more in the way of quality and luxury but I would probably not be able to afford to stay there if it did. As it is, I was able to enjoy a taste of paradise and was allowed to relax in beautiful and clean surroundings where a hardworking team of staff catered for my every need. If I ever find the money to return, I will definitely book into the Barceló Beach. Much as I love children, it was heaven to escape from the noise they tend to make.
2 suggestions that would have slightly enhanced my experience: I would have welcomed an indication as to which buffet dishes were vegetarian and, in the ground floor public showers, it would have been good to have had a spin-dry machine and plastic bags so that I could have easily packed my costume before heading to the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for trusting in Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our kindness in providing our services. Is a pleasure for me and the all team of Barceló Bavaro Beach that you chose us, hoping to have you here. We are grateful for all your comments and hope to see you at our hotel and make them feel a true paradise.
For us is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

2,878 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Polish first
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Ok this will be a stream of consciousness review because I don't feel like organizing my thoughts like an essay, so bear with me! This was recently my second trip to Barceló Bavaro Beach. My girlfriend and I went back because we had a great experience the first time and because the place is special to us for many personal reasons. I loved the resort and it was almost perfect.... again. This time, upon receiving many many recommendations, we upgraded to Club Premium which proved to be a great decision. Free WiFi was worth it alone, however, we received free bottles of Champagne and Rum, as well as free concierge and massage, access to Spa, free room service, and a nice coupon book that included many discounts for various activities, etc. Well worth it. Of course, you also have access to the Palace Deluxe resort which is huge, busy, and a bit "Disney World" like (we prefer a more quiet, relaxing, atmosphere, but we are also a couple with no children yet). But we did go over there for use of the Spa several times which was excellent and very enjoyable. To simply have the option of a quiet child free romantic experience at the Beach Resort, but then have the option to take advantage of ALL the amenities at the Palace Deluxe is like having 2 resorts in one, a great thing! It is just a short walk or train ride away. Ok, back to the Beach Resort. The food is good considering it is all inclusive, but you have to be careful because it is not all equal. We went to one of the restaurants one night, Chez Gourmet, which was probably one of the worst dining experience myself or my girlfriend has ever had in our lives. The food seemed old, as if it was pre-prepared and sitting for a long time. The service was slow and rude. And did I mention, the food was awful! However, the next night we decided to try La Brisa (waterfront open air dining) which was very good, especially the open air ocean front atmosphere. We even went back a second time. Not sure how there can be such opposite experiences at the same resort but there was! Anyway, if you try a bad restaurant in your town, it doesn't necessarily mean you hate your town! So keep this in mind. Overall, the resort is excellent considering it is one of the most competitively priced all inclusive options in Punta Cana. We did not like the location of our room initially, which did not face the ocean. We inquired to Club Premium concierge and they were very helpful in assisting us to change rooms. The second room we received was an AMAZING ground level ocean front room, no charge! Very pleased! If you can upgrade your room and Club Premium service, you will most likely have an excellent experience and they will try to accommodate any request you have. Club Premium representative really can handle almost anything for you, from helping with service requests to booking reservations. Let us not forget the entire reason you are there... the LOCATION!! The beach is one of the best in the world, with perfect pillowy white sand and a perfect shallow ocean shore with warm crystal clear water. The resort was at full capacity and never felt overly crowded, meaning we always got a place at the pool and/or beach. Is it the best and most luxurious place I've ever been? No. However, was it the most expensive? No. You have to look at everything in totality and have the right expectations. If you want top of the line everything, then spend $10-15K and go to a top of the line resort! Was it perfect? No. Was it a GREAT trip because of the decent service, very good hotel and amenities at good price, amazing location, and some quality time enjoying everything the location has to offer with my girlfriend (the best company I could ask for), YES!!! I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Room Tip: I would recommend putting a request in BEFORE you arrive for ocean view or pool side room. Also, up...
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially the Club Premium Services highlighting the friendliness of our employees. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
RI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We travel at least 6 to 8 times a year and always read trip advisor to see other peoples experiences. We hope people read ours and know it is a truthful experience. We refuse to bash Barcelo Bavaro Beach all adult side.
I am going to applaude Mr. SAM Johnson for taking care of the difficulties, mishaps, and inconveniences we experienced. HE is an
honorable man of his word. The beach is beautiful.....the pool is huge....and plenty of chairs in sun and shade. Johanna at club VIP was as pleasant as she could be.....we did have a few rough patches.....but she did try. Nice bartender Ismael at Mamey the lobby bar.....helped us overlook the grumpy guy server at the adult pool. He was miserable everyday and I am.glad I dont drink because I would not have tipped him.

Room is just ok. I have nothing to say good or bad about room. Maids do expect tips or they dont restock th generic doritos.
Best part of trip was the U SPA......that was Awesome. Spent everyday there.....using all facilities. We loved the pool at the spa and the hydrotherapy was one of the best treats the club premium upgrade offers. If not for the spa.....the upgrade is not worth it. Except for free wifi......which was spotty at best but at least it kept us connected here and there.

I cant discuss food. Its painful to talk about. My hubby and I both did get sick....we couldnt pin point exactly why....

I do want to thank the hotel for helping us leave 5 days early because we were not feeeling well.....we really just could not take it anymore. .....johanna and sam johnson were so helpful and understanding about our quick and early exit and we shortened our Domenican stay by 5 days.........it was nice to get back to the USA and get a real coffee.
Casino was fun.....we loved the Lucky Player 1 penney slot machine......we won over 200 on the penney machine......and winning is always fun. We also met a nice couple from NY....shout out to Domenic .....they made playing poker and losing money entertaining.....always play with dueces......free advice
Japenese Kyoto is the only food that is worth talking about. It was a highlight......
Grounds are nice......areas are clean......not to much else to say.........
The bottom line is you get what you pay for. We got a great deal on a two week.vacation and hoped for the best. We tried our hardest to make the best of it.....it does have a beautiful beach......it does have a great pool........and with that said.......if that is all you need.....book it.......but we will not return .
Last and most important......watch out for scammers at the airport. An imposter put us in his cab and pretended hotel was on phone.....ripped us off for 40.00. Although after 5 days....mr johnson reimbursed us for our incident......it really made me sad to know people of the domenican would do such a thing to tourist......it was a well thought out scam.....which makes me think it happens often.........BEWARE and becareful.
In summary ...the price was right.....but not for us Sorry to be such a downer.........it was our own experience. ........like we said Beach....pool.....and manager were top notch.

• Stayed August 2013
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.
I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedbacks for continuous improvement in a future stay.
Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.
I hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.
I remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

WEEHAWKEN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro Beach for Adults from August 9 thru August 15 and I had a great time. The hotel room and the bathroom were very clean with a comfortable bed and all the things I needed, including a big closet with a good size safety box. The beach was one of the best ones with plenty towels and nice chairs, The staff and employees are very well mannered and efficient at all times. The restaurants on both hotels the Barcelo Bavaro Palace The Luxe and ours are good and the breakfast and lunch buffet have a lot of choices and plenty tropical fruits. The green areas are very well taken care off and I enjoyed every minute in there. They have transportation to go to any Barcelo Hotel every 15 minutes. Not a complaint about any employee or staff in there and I will be back as soon as I can. If you want peace and relaxation, this is the place to go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
McKinney, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Barcelo Bavaro Beach was by far the worst all-inclusive resort I have ever stayed at. I have never felt like I got so little for my money and I was so unappreciated as a guest. The staff was downright rude with the exception of three individuals. Even when you tipped them, no 'thank you', no smile, nothing. NO ONE SPEAKS ENGLISH. I cannot stress this enough, if you do not speak Spanish, you will have a very difficult time. Americans were the distinct minority here. 50% of the guests were Europeans (be prepared for lots of speedos), 40% were Hispanic, and 10% were American/English speakers. English is even the third language listed on most of there signs/brochures/advertisements behind Spanish and Russian. The food was terrible. I am not a foody at all and will eat pretty much anything but a lot of the food was borderline inedible. The buffets on the Adult-only resort offered very little variety and none of it tasted good. The fruit was not ripe and bitter, the bread was stale, the dishes were greasy and poorly seasoned, anything fried was soggy. We walked by the buffet building at 3am and the bread was still sitting out on the table, they literally just left it out all the time even when the buffet was closed. There are 7 restaurants on the resort but reservations are required at all of them. We were with a group of 4 couples (8 total). I went to the office the day we arrived to make reservations for our group for the week and they had nothing available at any of the restaurants for my group for the entire week at any times other than 6:00pm and 10:30pm. We ended up making reservations for groups of 4 at different times and then tipping the waitstaff when we got to the restaurant to put us together. Everything is a hassle here. Once we did get seated, dinner service took forever. Expect to spend 3 hours at the restaurant and leave hungry. The food at the restaurant was slightly better than the buffets but not much. The Chateaubriand at Chet Gourmet was good, only good food I had the whole trip. The golf course was a joke. First of all, we were told it would be $80 per person to play gold including cart clubs and balls which was fine. When the course attendant came to pick us up, he tried to make a cash deal with us on the cart ride over to pocket the money. Once we got to the clubhouse, we found out balls were not included and they were $10 for a sleeve of 3. We spent over $600 between our foursome including some shirts and hats and stuff. I asked if I could trade one of my brand new balls (Nike Mojo) for a logo ball (Nike Mojo, same ball with the Lakes logo) and they told me it would be $4. We finally got out to the course after over an hour in the pro-shop and were told the drink cart would be around with drinks only to find out there was no cart girl and drinks were available on hole 10, so we had nothing to drink the entire front half of the course. They did have a guy in a cart with a cooler of beer on hole 10 that gave of drinks. The course itself was actually very nice and very well maintained. Fun course to play, tough, narrow and lots of water. We spent about $160 on balls total only to be approached 4 times during our round by various groundskeepers trying to sell us balls they had found. Everything is a racquet here and everyone is trying to make every dollar off of you they can. The entertainment at the resort sucked. Sorry to be crass but there is no other way to describe it. The bell hop who took my bags to my room was one of the dancers in the show that night. The entertainment is in Spanish so we couldnt understand any of it. There are only two bars on the entire adult-only resort so they are both pretty full at all times. During the day they had 2-3 waitresses for the entire pool area and 1 for the lobby area so if you wanted a drink, you had to go get it from the bar yourself. There, you had to wait in line for a good 5 minutes to get your over-sugary drink that ll tasted a little off. Do not order a Long Island, they put liquorice in it. Internet will cost you about $45 a week for spotty service and everything in the gift shop is crazy expensive. My wife had some stomach issues while we there (probably from the food) and a 4oz bottle of Pepto costs $16 at the gift shop. We upgraded to the Club Premium package (complete waste of money, don't do this) and were told we would get a big bottle of local Rum in out room but never received it. I went to the office to ask about it and was given a tiny little bottle and told that they were out of the big bottles. There was a booth right outside of the club office selling the free bottles for $50. The gift shop located directly next to the club office had 40+ bottles for sale as well. The rooms were okay, clean, a bit old and outdated but good enough. We don't spend much time in our room so its not a big factor for us. The alcohol is not top shelf. The highest quality alcohol they had was Absolut and you didn't get it unless you specifically asked for it. Everything else was house brand and unrecognizable brands.

Overall, the service was bad, the food was terrible, and no one there cared. Very little in included and everything costs extra. I WOULD NEVER COME BACK TO THIS RESORT AGAIN!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
I’m really sorry for you experience during your stay in our resort. In relation to language, this country is in Spanish, but in our resort we have different department where employees are multilingual as: English, French, German and Russian. These departments are Reception, Guest services, Club Premium and Supervisor at restaurants and bars.

Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at the barcelo bavaro beach-adults all inclusive at the beginning of august and were immediately impressed by the expanse of the grounds and the decor of the hotel upon our approach. The open entrances, nice lounging chairs in the lobby/lobby bar and the overall aesthetic of the resort are all very nice, however that is not complimented by great customer service or attention to detail unfortunately. When we arrived we had to flag down a bell hop, were apparently bothering the front desk clerk by asking questions that should have rightfully been part of a welcome spiel, and then were given the wrong coupon book by the same inattentive desk clerk. The language barrier is something to get used to but we managed ok...well thats to say my BF managed ok bc I was never addressed directly by any of the staff- not sure if it was bc I am an american a female or a combination of the two? We ate in as many of the restaurants as were available during our stay over at the Palace Deluxe which was just a short trolly ride away and you never had to wait long...nothing too impressive but I've definitely had worse at an all inclusive. Loved La Dolce Vita out of all of them. The bartenders were attentive once you waived money at them, but all the service employees here seem bothered by everything you ask of them. The beach is beautiful and we had no problems finding loungers there or by the pool which is nice, wish there was a swim up bar though. We upgraded to Club Premium after we arrived and so glad we did. The cost for just having Wi-fi would have been worth it, but the private concierge was great, private dining in the club premium lounge, poolside massage, free room service were a great bonus as well. Plus champagne and Ron Barcelo in the room is never to be a negative. The rooms were a decent size and we overlooked the courtyard which was never really noisy. We did have some problem with ants and sand creepy crawlies, and teh shower was soooo temperamental! I either took a freezing cold shower, one that scalded my skin or an unpleasant combo of the two. There is alot to do at the resort -the golf course is lovely, but the back 9 were closed which we were not informed of until after we paid for our round and were treated discourteously by the shop sales girl and 19-hole staff, however it was our last day and we were used to the lack luster service by then. Check out was a breeze, however I was still in the middle of carting our bags down to the lobby and on my last trip to the room my stuff was already being rifled through by the cleaning staff- I had to run down the hall to get my hat and raybans off of ones cart! I have stayed in great resorts in the Caribbean and I wanted to love this one based on its proximity to the airport, beach, and the style of the hotel but the people just ruined it for me...shame :(

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear guest,
With regards about language barrier, this country is in Spanish, but in our resort we have different department where employees are multilingual as: English, French, German and Russian. These departments are Reception, Guest services, Club Premium and Supervisor at restaurants and bars.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.
Austin, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went on 1 of our 2 vacations here for 6 days and 5 nights. The food at the buffet's was the worst I've ever encountered at a resort and the other restaurants that you must make reservation for 24 hours in advance weren't much better. The staff is not very polite even if you tip them they looked at you like "that's all". They told us that golf was included in the stay so 4 of us booked a tee time, only to find out that's it's 40 per person to use the golf cart, and 40 person for the clubs and they won't let you share clubs, so 80 per person which isn't horrible but tell us that up front. Then to top that off they charge you $10 for 3 balls. We spent $600 dollars for everything and then they tried kicking us off the course before our round was completed because the course closes at 6pm, which they never told us when we dropped $600. The casino tables are only open from 7pm-3am but they advertise it's 24 hours. Lots of nickel and diming you at this place. It did have one of the best beaches I've ever seen though. Pool is also nice but the one at the adults only didn't have a swim up bar and no wait staff at the beach. Oh did I mention that there was only 1 bar by the beach and pool total so there's huge line every time you want a drink and then you are greeted by mostly rude bar tenders. I will never stay here again and would not recommend anyone ever stay here. Oh I almost forgot they tried stealing an iphone from us at the golf course, we only got it back because we demanded to search the golf carts and then they magically found it. Don't loose your beach towel here either because they will charge you $20 bucks. I could site 10 more awful things but you get my point.

Dear guest,
I’m really sorry for you experience during your stay in our resort. On behalf of all the staff of our hotel and my own received my most sincere apologies about your experience during your stay at our resort.
With regards to your comments about the loss really we need more information about your trip like you room number, date, and how many persons. Once again our most sincere apologies.
Director

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Beach? Share your experiences!