“Anniversay trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #18 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
sunrmagc
“Anniversay trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this resort July 17 -23, 2013. We were celebrating our 20 year anniversary. This resort was incredible. We would definately recomend to others. This is the first time we visited the Dominican, however, we have done a lot of all-inclusive trips over the years from Cancun, cozumel, Jamaica, bahamas etc.. This was our favorite place we have been. Like others on here I was a little concerned based on some of the reviews but this place truly is incredible. Beautiful resort with tons to do, beautiful beach and plenty of relaxing areas to enjoy some downtime with your spouse.
Pros: Most beautiful beach i've ever been to with tons of chairs and palm trees for shade. we never had trouble finding the perfect place to lay out in the sun and enjoy the ocean. The waves were very gentile, perfect for just enjoying the water. Water itself was very clear. The pool areas were plentiful. Even though my wife and I slept in most days, we never had any trouble finding chairs and loungers around the pool. The Japenese, Mexican and seafood resteraunts were really good and I would recomend all 3. The japenese and Mexican were our favorite. If you eat at the mexican sit at the bar area around the grill. Andrea was awesome he hooked us up with some morsels while we were waiting on our food that were outstanding. I recommend the pork tacos. The best pork I've ever had. Contrary to what people have said on here. The staff at the resort were all extremely nice. All it took was a hello and a smile and they were very eager to help. I speak very little spanish but never felt like I was treated any way but nice. If you are American I recommend going to see Ross in guest services. He was incredibly helpful and was able to make our stay perfect no matter what we needed. Thanks a ton Ross! We purchase Wifi for the week and it worked perfectly no matter where we were at on the beach. It really helped us keep in contact with family back home.

Cons: In all my years of doing all inclusive I have always found the buffets to be, well, average at best. But the buffets here were below that expectation. I wish I could say that everyone is wrong but I just really did not like them at all. The Santa Fe steakhouse was abolutely terrible. The worst food I have prolly ever been served. Avoid at all cost I dont care how much u like your steak.

Things we did: We started eating our lunches at the golf course. They have a menu to order from that is very good instead of going to the dreaded buffet. Strikers sports bar is another place that has buffet setup at lunch but is much better than the regular buffets. We brought our own 20 ounce insulated cup for our drinks that worked out great. bar tenders and even waitresses didnt mind filling them up. If you are craving a steak, go to the Chez resteraunt on the adult side. We didnt eat there but talked to several people that said they served a great steak, cuz remember Santa Fe is terrible. We went to the market to the left of the adult beach to buy cigars cuz those in the resort were more expensive than what u can buy in the states. They are very aggressive in there, but just keep sayin no gracias and get what you want and go. We reserved our resteraunt times as soon as we checked in. Times do run out so I recommend doing that. Ross will hook u up with that. We did some tipping as we went along but never found that we only got good service when we did. We did not upgrade to premium service. Contrary to what others have said, we were treated magnificently even though we were not premium travelers.

All in all this was a great vacation for my wife and I. We went there to relax and it was perfect for us. To me if you go on vacation for great food then u probably dont need to travel all inclusive but thats just me so the buffet was not a deal breaker for us. Just be ready to be patient. Dominican people seem to be very laid back and while they are extremely friendly I think their laid back attitudes can get misconstrued as not being helpful. but that is not the case at all. Remeber, you are not in America. Dont hesitate to tell the waiters that you are ready to order because it can take a while if you dont. We figured this out and they are very eager to help just waive them down if you have to to get their attention and they come right over and will take care of you. Thanks Barcelo Bavaro for a great week!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for trusting in Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our kindness in providing our services. Is a pleasure for me and the all team of Barceló Bavaro Beach where you and your friends have chosen as a destination for your holiday, hoping to return to have you here once again. Thanks for your feedback about our employees, this makes feel proud.
We are grateful for all your comments and hope to see you at our hotel and make them feel a true paradise.
For us is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

2,585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here for the first 5 days of an extensive trip I planned to travel though DR. I was already skeptical about being 'trapped' in a resort. However, Barcelo Bavaro Beach surpassed my expectations upon arrival. I was initially impressed by many things; the size of the resort, my room (I had wanted to upgrade however it wasnt necessary since my room was s close to the pool and the beach) the staff, the variety of food on offer... Then things went down hill. The food at the buffet looks extensive however on closer inspection you'll see that the same things are repeated in a different way. Like I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of resorts in the first place. But there is no denying I could see people having a good time especially families (I spent most of my time on the other side. The food is better and they have the disco there!)
The gym was a big PLUS- also on the other side or a 6 minute walk.

The down side to my five day stay, besides getting bored after the second day, was that I wasn't always alone... Three times I saw a roach! Twice in my bathroom- cring! I even mangaged to get a picture. And another time on a chair beside me in one of the buffet restaurants.

The staff were nice, though I couldn't feel any sincerity behind their courteous smiles. It didn't bother me too much. I got the sense that they are very hard working.

The representative from the airport transfer assured me I'd be in 'Paradise'. Unfortunately it was far from! Overall, it has the potenical to be 5* but it wasn't for me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedbacks for continuous improvement in a future stay.
Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The first time I have ever visited Dominican Republic. My Club Premium staff Anny, Johanna, and Mabel made me feel very, very special. I enjoyed every minute. I will definitely come back to visit this resort.

• Stayed July 2013
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially the Club Premium Services highlighting the friendliness of our employees.

Thank you for your feedback about our employees, it makes us feel very proud to do this job for you. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Front Desck service person Jairol excelen person and extrodinary service. Best service i Recived. Resolve Problem with upgrade room in time record with excelent service and quality personality. good ambient and good personal service with good food extraordinari ambien relax vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our services in front desk. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay. Thank you for your feedback about our employees, it makes us feel very proud to do this job for you.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The restaurants were average at best, and could never get a reservation at a decent time, typically only had 6pm or 10 pm available. Food mediocre at best, and we have been to a number of other all inclusives to compare. The wine they served was awful-had to order and pay for room service to have decent glass. The towel desk was out of towels 3 times during the week we stayed, and by the way you can only have ONE towel. Seriously this at a beach resort?? Rooms were very nice inside and the sand on the beach was nice, but Believe me there are much better places to stay in Punta Cana. I recommend Dreams

Room Tip: If you can do it, upgrade to the preferred club MUCH better view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear guest,
I’m really sorry for you experience during your stay in our resort. On behalf of all the staff of our hotel and my own received my most sincere apologies about your experience during your stay at our resort.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.

London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you want an excellent all-inclusive experience, this "adults only" resort is a great choice. The service is friendly and attentive. It will take you a day to absorb all the amenities of this huge resort. There are at least 6 restaurants - just make your reservations for dinner on the first day of your stay in Guest Services but the buffet option won't let you down. We also checked out the golf course, the driving range, played mini putt, used the kayaks and experienced the high-quality spa. We were pleased with it all. We found plenty of shady spots poolside and under the palms on the beach. There is lots of visible security on the beach, a safe in every room and well-lit pathways so we felt secure at every step. We are birders as well and would have appreciated a bird guide in the guest services area to identify the indigenous birds we saw. A great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bedford, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

A group of 6 of us went to the Adult side from July 3rd through the 10 th and we had a wonderful experience. From the time we arrived and were served a welcome drink to the day we left every encounter was wonderful. Once we had signed in, a gentleman took us to our rooms and explained everything to us : from the operation of the safe to running the air-conditioner. The rooms were as pictured on their site with full beds and a nice deck overlooking the grounds and as I had upgraded to the Superior room I had a wonderful view through the palm trees to the Ocean beyond. Also as I have a pinched Sciatic Nerve the location of my room could not have been better. I was in Building 1, room 1054 which was on the 2nd floor and it was a corner room, so I could see the stage where the nightly entertainment was to viewing the pool to being able to view the immaculate grounds and the beach/Ocean. The room was quite comfortable and housekeeping did a marvelous job of keeping it clean and the refrigerator stocked daily. I had read previously that the walls were thin and you could hear your neighbors, but I DID NOT find this to be true. The only time I could hear my neighbors was when I was on the deck so noise from the adjoining room was never a problem. I had expected the noise from the entertainment area to be loud in the room, but when I closed my doors, I did not hear anything. The beds are wonderful as I slept better in their beds than I do at home.

One of the nice things I appreciated with this resort is there is an Adult side as well as a side for families as we were able to utilize the family portion of the resort for eating or shopping or using their swim up pool bar, before returning to our own quiet area. And there is a tram that runs every 10 minutes to take you where ever you want to go on the resort, so going from location to location was never an issue. We found that if you need to go someplace in a hurry, you can check with the bell men and they will call someone to bring a vehicle to take you where you need to go so you don't have to wait on the tram.

I found all of the employees to be quite helpful and very friendly, even though I do not speak their language. The only way I would have enjoyed my time more, was if I were able to speak Spanish and as I do not have an I Phone with the Translator App I was unable to speak to some of the employees. But there are quite a few employees that do speak limited English, so that was my fault.

I have read that one needs to book their meal reservations early through Customer Service, but I did not have any difficulty with this. In our party, there was one woman that was booking all of our dinner reservations for everyone with the exception of a couple of nights. When I stopped in at Customer Service I was greeted by Luzalba Bocio and Esmeralda and these ladies were quite pleasant and made reservations for me immediately, and we were able to eat @ 6:30 p.m.. One night 4 of our party ate at Chez Gourmet and the food was out of this world. In fact I had read on this site that many people had commented about the Chateaubriand being a wonderful meal, so when I told the 3 ladies that were with me of the reviews I had read, they all decided to try this meal too, and we were all astounded with how wonderful the service was to the preparation and presentation of the food itself. What is interesting is one of the ladies is a vegetarian and she even said it was the best meal she had had in a long, long time. Without a doubt this was my favorite dining experience for both the food and the service.

I was also amazed at how friendly all of the wait staff was, as they were always smiling and doing anything they could to make our stay a memorable experience. We visited with a lot of other travelers while we were there, and we never heard anyone complain of any of their experiences. This is an amazing resort and worth every dollar. If you are a golfer they have an incredible golf course, difficult to be sure, but excellent. The swimming pool on the Adult side has ample lounge chairs with sun or shade and ladies that are continually bringing refreshment to anyone around the pool. The beach had numerous places to recline in both the sun and the shade and the water is wonderful. Each morning there is a crew that removes the sea weed or other debris and the grounds are kept immaculate. There is also a security guard that constantly walks along the beach area so security is never an issue. I felt as save here as I do in my own home.

My only complaint would be that the employees have to work many hours each day, and from talking to some of the people on the excursions they all have to work a lot of hours with little pay. One man I spoke with works from 07:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. for 15 days straight for the equivalency of $150.00 US money. Knowing this I tried to tip everyone I came in contact with to allow them to know that I truly appreciated all that they were doing for making my vacation a wonderful experience, and I hope that all of the employees knew that I appreciated their efforts. I did drop the ball a couple of times as I wish I had tipped Luz and Esmeralda as they were truly wonderful representatives of the resort and were of great help to me. If you run out of tipping money, stop at the reservation counter and they can exchange your larger bills for smaller denominations for you.

I did take a couple of bottles of sun screen as well as mosquito repellent but bugs were never an issue. I did not use or bring back the bottle of mosquito repellent I took as I needed the room in my suitcase for souvenirs and I left a full bottle of sunscreen.

One thing happened I had not planned for while I was there and that was the fact that I inadvertently broke one of the containers for soap in the shower, and when I pointed it out to the housekeeping lady, she replied, NO PROBLEEMOH. I try to make it a point to take care of others property as I would if it were mine, so I fully expected to pay for this, but I was not charged anything when I received my bill at the end of my stay.

This was truly a wonderful vacation and I applaud this resort for their outstanding service in all areas. Please thank each and every employee for me for making my stay a great experience. I do intend to come back again and I have told numerous friends about the wonderful vacation I was afforded.

Room Tip: Like I previously stated, my room, #1054 in Building 1 was much nicer than I was expecting and I cou...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Director

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Beach? Share your experiences!