“A beach in heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #20 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Rancagua, Chile
“A beach in heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

An early wakeup for footing 20 minutes at the beach,absolutely clean at this time. A round of golf in a magnific course recently renewed with very dificult 18 holes.
Have lunch at buffet looking to the beach.
Spent all afternoon on the beach,white sand,warm water, and quiet enough to sleep.
In the night get dressed for one of the several restaurants with international cousine, and then spent some time in the casino.

Room Tip: Far from the pool is quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I appreciate all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our Restaurants and Buffets.
Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay. I hope to see you again in our Hotel to enjoy our wonderful beach turquoise.
I remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

2,252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Polish first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

WOW, is the first thing I have to say. I work for a recognized well known hotel in Puerto Rico and boy can I say this was service. I was looking for a vacation with NO children (it was the first time I left my 8 yr. old behind) and i sure got what I asked for. The great thing is that we were able to use the Palace Deluxe facilities, eat and drink everywhere but there were NO children allowed at our resort. The lobby of the hotel was breathtaking, it's all so open and your able to see the lounge area with all of the sofas, the theater and the pool from the front desk. The room was very nice, don't expect a Ritz-Carlton suite, but it was nice for what I needed since I wasn't spending much time at the hotel. All of the restaurants were amazing, starting from the buffet, ChezGourmet, Coral, La Fuente, Santa Fe Steakhouse, they were all very good. The shows were also very very good. I have to thank Esmeralda, Damely & Evelyn from Guest Services, Philip from the smoke shop let us use his phone to call home twice, Nelson De Sosa from the Rest. Caribe was great, the ladies from Recreations that always had activities, volleyball, aerobics, and the French game (I think it's "Petanque" ). The beach is beautiful, white sand and crystal clear water, however, people you MUST pick up after yourselves PLEASE, there's tons of garbage & recycling bins. I saw people just leave their water bottles and beer cups behind like if would through themselve into the bins. I've attached pictures so you can appreciate the hotel. I for sure have already started planning my second trip. Overall it was a stupendous trip and my perception of Domincan Republic has totally changed even when we traveled 145 miles from our hotel. These people are very hard workers and eventhough they earn little money their service is genuine & their aim is to satisfy your every need. On my last day I was do at the airport no later than 10am but I didn't want to leave without a DVD from Bavaro Splash that was suppose to arrive @ 9am. I had the ladies from Guest Services call the rep. When I got to the Bellstand Roberto helped by calling a taxi since I had missed the transportation from Blue. He told the taxi guy, Rolando Pascual what happend and that we needed to stop at the main entrance to wait for the delivery guy from Bavaro Splash. Rolando did just that, we waited at the main entrance for 5 minutes and since we didn't see the delivery guy he called Bavaro Splash. We noticed that no one was allowed to wait in front of the main entrance and saw the delivery guy on the side of the main entrance. To them it was important I took my memories from DR and that's what their aim was all along.

Room Tip: Make sure take all of your toiletries since everything in Punta Cana is very expensive (tooth past...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our Restaurants and our wonderful beach highlighting the friendliness of our employees.

Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.

NY,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Came here to unwind, relax and enjoy some one on one time with the hubby. First off, don't exchange your money at the airport for pesos, it's a total rip off. You get less money on the dollar then if you exchange your money at the hotel. We stayed at the adults only side, and it was very nice and clean. The service was excellent, but for entertainment you had to go to the family side. Also all the restaurants are on the family side. For the exception of one buffet and two reservation restaurants. No swim up bar or snack bar. No food allowed out of restaurants. three days into our vacation I got GI issues. That was the end of an enjoyable vacation, since who can relax and enjoy themselves when you have to be in close proximity of a bathroom 24/7. All in all I wish I had known that all the better entertainment and food were in the family side of the resort. Personally I wouldn't recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you want to be in the thick of things where everything is more accessible, then stay in the famil...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
I appreciate all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our Restaurants and Buffets Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.
I hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel provided a GREAT relaxing and wonderful customer service experience! My friends and I (7 women) were on a Ladies Only week get-away and felt very safe 24/7. The hotel is in a gated community and the hotel security patrols 24/7. The hotel attendants cleaned the inside and common areas constantly. You can smell the clorox! And the pool was sparkling clean w/the jacuzzi in the center of the pool large enough for many to enjoy! We arrived and asked if we could be in the general "area" of each other's room, and they did better than that! They put us on the same floor and doors next to each other!! The BAR was incredible and the bartenders so friendly. Hint: ask for their "Special Drink" you will not be disappointed. I like the fact that the different hotels are attached to each other or a trolly train ride away if you don't like walking. It's best to get the round-trip taxi from the airport to the hotel because the driver can tell you about some sights. Everything is all-inclusive and the room refridgerator was always full w/water, juice, sodas, beer. Along w/a fruit basket greeting me in my room!! Caution: adult-only beach so women topless bathing is common on the beach. If this offends you, stay at the pool. Women there were no "rude" men gaucking /staring so enjoy beach sunning topless and swimming. Plenty of sports to do on the beach to include Zumba, Salsa, Water Polo!! This was definitly a trip we are going to do again at the same hotel. Plenty of great food at the buffet and different resturants. I miss it already. Practice your Spanish conversation and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I had a great time for our honeymoon. The resort exceeded all of our expectations. It is definitely worth doing the Club Premium. The included use of all restaurants is great! Jazmin in Club Premium was especially courteous and prompt taking care of our every need. We stayed at the adults only side but even when eating dinners on the family friendly side, it was never noisy or a problem. The best restaurants were the Japanese, the Steakhouse, and the French. We used the free hydrotherapy included with Club Premium almost daily. It is helpful to know a little spanish but not required. all of the staff went above and beyond to accommodate. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for Club Premium. It's worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
We thank you for trusting in Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our kindness in providing our services. Is a pleasure for me and the all team of Barceló Bavaro Beach where you and your friends have chosen as a destination for your holiday, hoping to return to have you here once again.
I appreciate all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our Club Premium services. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We visited The Barcelo Bavaro Beach Hotel from June 20 - June 27, 2013. This resort is fabulous and truly provides an outstanding vacation experience. Being a former Airline employee, I have traveled extensively and I clearly feel this resort is an excellent choice for a beach vacation. The first impression when you enter the lobby upon arrival is breathtaking. It has an open air lobby with truly unique decor. We were greated warmly by Mabel in the Club Preminum who efficiently checked us in. Our room had a beautiful view of the ocean and was always kept immaculate, as were all the grounds. I have visited this resort many, many times and never has a single item of ours gone missing.There is a good safe in the room to protect your valuables. The bed was super comfy and the A/C and ceiling fan worked perfectly.

The beach is gorgeous. It has fine white sand, swaying palm trees and plentiful lounge chairs. The water is blue, clear and calm.

This is an adults only hotel and it also includes use of the beach, restaurants and facilites of the Palace Deluxe Hotel which is a short distance down. You can walk there or take the train shuttle back and forth.

Our favorite restaurants for dinner were Chez Gourmet, The Italian, The Japonese. All of the restaurants are really very good with many choices. We enjoyed lunch at La Brisa where the view and freshly cooked food were very nice. Maria Mercedez made us feel welcome every day and attended to us very well. The buffet is quite good here as well.

Another outstanding feature of this resort is the staff. If you have visited other Carribean resorts you might have noticed the poor attitudes of the people working there. I found the staff here at The Beach Hotel to be pleasant and warm. Give a smile and some respect and your experience will be wonderful. Don't worry about the language barrier either. Many speak English and you can make yourself understood if you try.

All in all, I highly recommend this resort! I am already checking rates for a return visit...it is that wonderful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
For us is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
Appleton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Punta Cana from June 10th to the 17th. The primary purpose of our trip was to have a few days to relax prior to my sister's wedding, which was held on the resort on June 15th. Also, we stayed on the adult only side of the resort.

The Good:

1) Beach was very nice, but so are most beaches in the Caribbean. Not a jab, just saying this is pretty much expected for any resort located in the Caribbean.

2) Kyoto Japanese restaurant - best food on the resort, but will cost you $15/person.

3) Hotel is beautiful with lots of shopping on or off the resort (market located just off the resort grounds).

4) Poseidon restaurant (right next to the resort on the beach by the market) - awesome seafood!!! They bring out what the fisherman caught that morning and ask what you want cooked. We had fish, baby lobster and calamari. Definetly worth the money to break up bland hotel food.

5) Bartenders/maids are very nice, however since it is a tipping resort expect to tip to get good service. Big difference in quality of drink and how clean your room gets.

The Bad:

1) No snack bar (i.e. chips, salsa, burgers, fries, etc.)!!! This is the first resort that we've been to where there wasn't a snack bar either by the pool or beach. Really a downer if you just want to grab a quick lunch to avoid the buffet lines. Also, the buffets do not let you take food out of the dining area which is inconvenient if you are trying to grab something quick to eat prior to an excursion. Again, not sure what the big deal is with food outside of the dining halls since every other all inclusive that we've stayed at or friends of ours have stayed at allows food outside of the dining halls.

2) Coffee and food not very good. One of the things that my wife and I look forward on our travels is trying the local food and coffee. We found out from talking to some of the locals that Domicans do not like a lot of spice in their food and most of it is bland. Since we have stayed in Mexico and Jamaica on prior trips to the Caribbean, we were bummed that there were no local specialties like jerk chicken, patties and blue mountain coffee (Jamaica) and tacos and pico de gallo (Mexico). Also, to make the coffee drinkable the restaurants add about a half of cup of cream to your coffee when you drink it. Still not very good. We brought along coffee mate flavor creamer which helped take the bitterness out of the coffee.

3) Adult side of resort has very few entertainment options and no swim up bar. Not sure what the developers were thinking here, but most of the sit down restaurants, casino/night club, sports bar, beach entertainment, swim up bar and shops are all located on the family side of the resort. We wish that we knew this prior to booking as we would have stayed on this side since you end up walking over there anyways every night for something to do.

The Ugly:

1) $3,000 Resort Credit (i.e. coupon book). The resort tries to dupe people in thinking that you are getting a $3,000 credit to spend on the resort. What they are really doing is jacking up the price on everything from massages at the spa, wine at dinner, etc. so if you don't use their coupon book, you pay an inflated price. This drove my wife and I nuts since you really didn't know if you were getting a fair deal or not. Also, most all inclusives include many of the items that this resort makes you buy as extras. For example, wine at dinner is usually free at most all inclusives, but here you need a coupon were you have to buy a $45 bottle of wine to get $20 off. Additionally, the wine is not very good. I've had better wine for $10/bottle.

2) Resort Guest getting sick. My wife and I were lucking not to get sick, but something was going around the resort the last part of our trip. Many people that came for my sister's wedding (~30 people) had GI issues where they couldn't find a bathroom fast enough!! Furthermore, there was another wedding party at the resort where the groom got so sick that he could barely stand at his wedding and they had to rush him back to the US to get treatment. Not sure what he had, but some in is group said it was Hepatitis A, which is caused by contaminated food or water. Since the resort only serves bottled water, guessing it was the food. Also, many people in our group were still sick with GI issues for at least two weeks after returning home.

My wife and I probably won't be returning to this resort and probably wouldn't resommend it to our friends. If considering a trip to the Caribbean, we would suggest Jamaica, any resort located in Negril (Couples Swept Away in Negril is our personal favorite)!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear guest,
I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain.
I’m terribly sorry that your husband was hill on the first day of vacations. With regards to your comments stating that it was the foods quality I must inform you that we have an external British audit company called Crystal or Check Service First that makes random audits, which awards this Hotel as the safest in Dominican Republic, not from Bavaro, from the all Island and that is a award to be very proud of. There are many reasons for clients to have a stomach upset; one of them is to take medicines for malaria or any other Caribbean diseases, once some of the side effects are diarrhea, stomach upset, fever and chills. Other factors are the difference in temperature between a cold country and Dominican Republic, once many guests come from countries that are below zero or just over zero degrees and in Dominican the average temperature is 27 Celsius, or a radical change of food ingestion mixing different foods.
With regards to the food selection at the A La carte restaurants being the same as the food at the buffet, I must clear this point to you that we have a totally different menu, once we do not offer choices of sirloin or cod fish, grouper and many others on the buffet, but I understand that you can find lobster and shrimp on the Buffet and also on the A La Carte Restaurants.
As general information we do have a 10 day menu for the Buffet restaurants with 18 different salad choices and 4 fish and 4 meat options on the show cooking to be selected and cooked according to the guest’s satisfaction.
With regards to resort credits, this is a gift that makes the hotel to our customers so you can get different discounts on various services in the complex, so to decide whether to use it. I invite you to learn more about the resort credits on our http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/es_ES/
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.
Director

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Beach? Share your experiences!