“A scene right out of "Apocalypse Now"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #18 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Ontario
“A scene right out of "Apocalypse Now"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Week of Feb. 27 to March 6. Well how can a person start? Describing a trip that will leave you wondering if the Barcelo chain has lost it's flair for customer service and loyalty.
The grounds are well kept, the beach is absolutely beautiful. Rooms, the usual and nothing special.
Having stayed at two previous Barcelo's (Mexico and Costa Rica) this had to be the worst (and last) Barcelo we will be staying at. The motto at this particular resort is "no upgrade, no service"
We had booked this resort back in August and had requested a king size bed with ocean view and got two double beds with instruction to move the beds together for the king and a view if palm trees. The reception staff are less than professional and definitely require some type of customer service training considering many people have worked long and hard to save the money required to take these vacations. When the Barcelo decided to train their staff they instructed their staff with "the customer is never right" or conveniently " no understand." People travel long distances only to be subjected to "your room is not ready" and "we are overbooked." Seriously!
The food is adequate and will keep you alive for a week. The alcohol is not a big deal for us but even labeling myself as a moderate drinker, I know when someone is "watering down the booze."
The a la carte restaurants are not too bad the dress code is torn blue jeans with runners. The waiters and waitresses never ask how your meal is or neglect to fill the wine glass up. NICE! The only gratification I got here was walking out without tipping. Cruel? Not really.
Helicopters flying directly over the resort a few times per hour, speed boats, catamarans and pirate ships with the music blasting bass constantly is the reality of this getaway. If your looking for a relaxing, quiet getaway this is not the place for you.
I would have loved coming here in my twenties but the reality is I'm double that age and require a more "adult only resort" with some sort of sophistication not a alcohol fueled party. Don't be fooled with upgrading to Club Premium , people that had, were eating the same food as we were with the Prestige class.
Oh well, there's always next year!

Room Tip: Always use Tripadvisor hotel rating. If it's rated below ten there is probably a good reason.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. Now we have occupancy of 95% and 90% have customers who are happy with our services. I accept your feedback for continuous improvement in a future stay.
With regards to your comment about the noises at the beach unfortunately it’s something that is out of our hands once the beach is public not private.
Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

2,594 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Our party of three booked through cheapcaribbean and couldn't be happier with their service.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were escorted to our room by a very nice and friendly staff member. Without even requesting it, we were immediately offered a rollaway bed for our room and it was set up and made within minutes. We easily booked our dinner reservations for each night of our stay after getting settled. Since we arrived in the afternoon our only choice for dinner the first night was the buffet in the "sports bar" over at the big resort. It was fine. Overall the food was good. The wine was bad. The beer wasn't great either. But the mojitos were great. The staff was always very friendly and accomodating. The room was good -- clean and met our needs. The pool was beautiful. The beach was amazing. While the pool chairs were always claimed by people who didn't use them, the beach had plenty of chairs for everyone.

This was our first all-inclusive vacation so we did not have a point of reference, but we were very happy. This place was pretty mellow. If you are looking for a party atmosphere you might look elsewhere, but for relaxing it is perfect. We would definitely come back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort highlighting the friendliness of our employees, I’m glad you have been enjoying the a la carte restaurants.
With regards to your comments about the wine, I would like to tell you that we have changed the house wine taste better one, with relation to beer is our country domestic beer. I hope understand.
Thank you for your feedback about our employees, it makes us feel very proud to do this job for you. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here from Feb 21st - 28th with another couple. The place is huge when you consider the Deluxe Place into it. We stayed Club Premium and it was great all the way. But this isn't why l am writing. My husband had hurt his back, (nothing to do with the hotel) so from the 23rd he was flat on his back in our room. He couldn't walk or sit, the only way the pain would easy was if he laid flat. I became good friends with room service as that's how he had his meals for the rest of our stay. I needed to get him a wheelchair hoping l would be able to get him outside, Joanne from Club Premium spent endless time on the phone and finally got me one for which l am very grateful, Jacki was also a great help. I had to take him to the hotel doctor twice and they were kind enough to send a golf cart to take my husband and l to the Deluxe Palace as that is were the doctor is. l also had to take him to the hospital and again they sent for the golf cart. The bell boys were fantastic helping my husband as he had trouble walking especially on young man l will never forget and be so grateful for his help and kindness as he would all ways ask when he saw me about my husband his name is Alejandro. Apart from all this going on l was still able to get out and enjoy the beach for awhile. The Ala carte's are fantastic you have to try the French one it's to die for.
Again thank you to everyone for you kindness and we do hope to return so my husband can finally enjoy this beautiful place

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially the Club Premium services and a la carte restaurants. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
Ridgely, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I had a fantastic vacation at this resort for our 25th anniversary. The place is HUGE, which was perfect for us, because we like to walk and stay active. We booked the stay with an upgrade to Club Premium, and found the upgrade to be well worth it for the associated room, the free room service, the accessibility to restaurants, free WiFi, etc. The Club Premium upgrade essentially paid for itself. Overall, staying here was a wonderful experience.

The Beach:
The beach area is beautiful, with fine white sand and sufficient palm trees for shade. Plenty of lounge chairs were available - never felt the need to 'claim' any early. The water was great for swimming - clear, blue, just what you'd expect. Some areas with weeds, but no big deal. I enjoy snorkeling, but there is very little to see here - some fish, a few starfish, etc. Nice for just enjoying the water though. The only negative we found was that the roped off swim area was too small, with noisy power and party boats going past just outside the boundary.

The Food:
The buffets were mediocre, with the buffet in the adult section actually being the worst. You could usually find decent food, but nothing to get excited about. Most of the restaurants were fantastic. We had dinner at a restaurant each night - I forget the names, but the steak house was ok, the seafood pretty good, and then the japanese, mexican, and international were exceptional. For lunch and snacks, we found the sports bar to have very good and fresh food. For breakfast, the food brought from room service was the best option.

The Staff:
Most didn't speak english, but that was MY problem, not theirs. It's their country. Everyone was happy, polite, and tried to be helpful. You're mostly on your own and have to figure things out for yourself - sometimes frustrating, sometimes fun. They could certainly do a better job of explaining things and giving a decent overview when you initially check in. Other than that, everyone was very eager to please, always smiling, etc. Very friendly.

The Bars:
We never had to wait long to be served, whether we went directly to a bar, or sat in chairs with a waiter/waitress bringing us drinks. All drinks were tasty with plenty of alcohol. The local beer is OK - kinda like a budweiser. Not the sort of quality I typically drink, but it quenched the thirst. Take a bubba keg and fill it with mohitos all day long while kicking back on the beach - perfect. They *could* use more bars on the beach - at the end near the adults section is a hut selling nothing but coconut water. Never could understand why that wasn't a bar.

In summary, if you're on the fence about this being a good place for your vacation - don't be. This place is wonderful. Just go, and enjoy yourself.

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially the Club Premium services. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you anniversary. I hope you to have met your expectations.
Culver City, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This has got to be my worst experience abroad, ever! From the moment we arrived at the airport we had vultures hovering around us looking to grab our bags. It was like a feeding frenzy at the zoo. At one stage I had to just stop in the middle of the airport and yell at everyone to leave us alone. When we eventually figured out which transportation to take we had a peaceful drive to the resort, only for the hustling to start again once we hit the resort. It was all about the bags. No interest in welcoming the guest. The bags meant tips. Once the bags were securely lined up in the lobby we were left to our own devices. The front desk system of checking people in defied comprehension. Guests were standing all along the counter hoping to get staffs attention. There was no clear system or line for check in. Eventually we got someones attention. It was 3.30pm. Once checked in we were told that our room was not ready yet and that we should go eat. We said we were not hungry and we waited again. Then we were told to go sit in the lobby that our room was almost ready. We waited on the couch provided. At 4.15pm I approached the desk again. I inquired about our room, she looked in a drawer and our keys were there. When I told her we have been waiting where we were told to sit and were waiting for her to call us she just looked at me as if I had 4 heads and walked away. The bellman who brought us to our room was very informative and helpful. When he showed us the contents of our fridge, there were only soda's. The rooms previous guests were presumably children. As instructed by the bellman, I called guest services for some beer and was told right away. I waited an hour and called again, waited another half an hour and then went down to guest services and met the man who told me right away. I asked him to service the refrigerator and he assured me it would be taken care of. I got back around 1am and nothing had changed. The bars in the resort had terrible service also. It was as if the white wrist band signaled that I was a second class citizen. I own 2 bars in L.A. and have a reputation for over-tipping. There were very few staff who displayed any sort of service enthusiasm. It was as if I was bothering them when I ordered a beer. The service in the sports bar was terrible. The staff in the Casino yelled at me to sit down when I became excited about winning a hand. No wonder there was rarely anyone in the casino. Bad lighting and no atmosphere. The service at the swim-up pool bar was the worst. When you order a beer from any of the bar staff they never went to the closest tap to pour it. I believe this was a tactic, so that you could not increase your order while they were standing within earshot. Clever, for lazy staff but way too obvious. This attitude was pervasive among almost all the staff. It just felt like we were bothering them. It's a shame that at almost every turn one of our group would have another bad experience. It became an ongoing topic of conversation. Not something you want to remember about a vacation. Other than the resorts natural and God given beauty, this resort has no saving graces. I eventually figured out the system and befriended a guest with a premium wrist band and as long as I was standing by him service was at an acceptable level. There are many other examples of staffs apathy but I think by now you get the message. I highly recommend you check out another resort or even another country. I will never be back, a Dios!

Dear guest,
I’m very sorry for the services provided during your vacation. With regards to your comments stating that it was the foods quality I must inform you that we have an external British audit company called Crystal or Check Service First that makes random audits, which awards this Hotel as the safest in Dominican Republic, not from Bavaro, from the all Island and that is a award to be very proud of. There are many reasons for clients to have a stomach upset; one of them is to take medicines for malaria or any other Caribbean diseases, once some of the side effects are diarrhea, stomach upset, fever and chills. Other factors are the difference in temperature between a cold country and Dominican Republic, once many guests come from countries that are below zero or just over zero degrees and in Dominican the average temperature is 27 Celsius, or a radical change of food ingestion mixing different foods.
With regards to the food selection at the A La carte restaurants being the same as the food at the buffet, I must clear this point to you that we have a totally different menu, once we do not offer choices of sirloin or cod fish, grouper and many others on the buffet, but I understand that you can find lobster and shrimp on the Buffet and also on the A La Carte.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went as a couple, stayed 2 weeks at the Palace as the Oceanfront room at the Beach we had booked was overbooked. After 3 days, we would have returned home. Why? Our experiences follow:

BEAUTY:

Room: At Palace, it was fantastic. We were upgraded to a new, ocean-front junior suite with a big terrace & jacuzzi, King size bed, very comfortable mattress and impeccable linens, thick towels. Maid service very good. Turn-down not consistent, which could be a problem if you needed fresh towels.

Beach: Lovely, white sandy beach, lots of lounge chairs. Seaweed is a bit annoying as you need to avoid it when you are in the water. On the beach, staff cleaned seaweed frequently.

Facilities: Everything was immaculate. We found staff cleaning everything, everywhere.

Golf: Great for us to have the golf course about a 5 minute walk from our unit The Lakes course is very nice and very well kept. It is challenging with all the ponds and sand traps so it is important to have plenty of golf balls.

I had a very good golf lesson with instructor Jorge. The crew of people, Rennes and the guys tending to carts & clubs offered excellent service.

Food: Fresh mango, papaya, melon and watermelon were a treat. Coffee machines offered excellent capuccinos & lattes. Fresh juices, watermelon, pineapple, etc were great.

Club Premier: We felt we benefited with the additional cost. Ocean-front room, fast & special check-in/check out, access to all restaurants at no extra cost, 24 hour free internet access, anywhere in the resort, beach towels in our room, etc.

Sports Club: Good to have this option when arriving late or when you required a late lunch.

BEAST
THE FOOD, THE FOOD, THE FOOD! While there was lot of variety & many restaurants, the food was the main reason why we wanted to return home after 3 days.

TOO MUCH SALT and OVERCOOKED, TOUGH FOOD was the main problem. Chicken, pork, beef & seafood were always too salty or too tough to chew or both. We had access to all restaurants.

Steakhouse: A man introduced himself as "sommelier" and offered to give us advice on wine selection although we had barely sat down and had not yet decided on menu. Tough beef, horrible salmon.

Seafood Place: The hostess refused to seat us in the outdoor area claiming it was fully booked but she placed us inside next to the glass wall where we could clearly see that many tables for 2 were empty throughout our dinner. Why this attitude, when we had bracelets that should have offered much better service than average? Dinner was bad.

Mexican Restaurant: Very good consomme and cheese appetizer. Unedible meat & chicken mole, all very tough. We left after the first bite. Our server was very efficient but unfriendly and very rushed.

Japanese Restaurant: Horrible experience. Greasy rice, greasy & overcooked vegetables. Pork was so tough you could not chew it.

La Traviata: Very good buffet options but pasta was not up to standards, nor was the tomato sauce.

La Brisa: On the beach, it was our choice of restaurant for lunch as it is more quiet and has a beautiful view, all of which were a such a difference from the circus activity at any of the buffet restaurants. The chef was very pleasant and cooked me a no salt fish on one occasion but I did not go with same request later on as there were long lineups.

Hole 19: In the Clubhouse, at the golf course. Not an extensive menu but the place offers a solace from other buffets. Menu for lunch should offer more healthy options. Pizza had too much cheese and not much else. Waiters Gonzalo and Elario were very friendly and the only ones we met in 14 days who asked us how was our meal.

Chez Gourmet: One of our best experiences. Nice & quiet. Andea, our server, delightful. A second time we had a very professional, yet quite unfriendly and rushed waitress. The so called "sommelier" also approached us for specialty wines and did not bother to pass on the order for a glass of house wine & champagne.

La Comedie: Also nice & quiet. Waiters were pleasant and efficient. Gonzalo was very nice and apologized for my lobster bisque being cold and salty. Shrimp cocktail instead was very good. Lobster Thermidor a bit salty but fine.

We came twice as this was one of the better restaurants. Unfortunately I became violently ill the last night of our stay, due to something I ate there.

Buffets: Horrible experience with frenzy crowds running around with piles of food on their plates. Perhaps they filled their plates to check what was edible? Choice of salads was mediocre, with Iceberg lettuce most of the time, watery tomatoes and the odd chick peas or beans cooked in tomato sauce.Vegetarians would have a hard time as there is no brown rice, no quinoa, no healthy grains.

Desserts: Were terrible most of the time, many things camouflaged to look different but all was the same. Strawberries with cream at La Comedie consisted of a cholesterol friendly of an obscene amount of whipped cream plus a few slices of strawberries.

Drinks: White wine was like drinking Chanel # 5, red wine equally bad. Champagne Diamante tasted like white vinegar. Other drinks were very watery.

Golf cart fee: Advertising that you have free golf but you end up paying $65 per person for your cart is definitely misleading. You end up paying $130 per game as a couple when in USA/Canada, the cart per round for two people is about $35.

Club Premier: We were glad to have paid the extra amount for oceanfront room as we had fast and hassle free check in/out although the service was not even.

Staff: Most of the staff warmed up to a big smile and a greeting in Spanish. Others were sometimes rude, rushed, no care attitude.

BBB & B Palace: We had access to all areas and all restaurants but the poor families with children, who paid more money to stay at the Palace, were not allowed to go to the adult section, even when they had no children with them.

BBB: rooms are older, some are not worthy of a 4.5 or 5 star hotel

Palace: At the pool tables room there are signs indicating that only people over 16 years old are permitted in the room. This was not enforced. Families with kids were there most of the time and so were children playing by themselves, with no adult around. On one occasion there was a girl aged about 11 who was playing by herself.

Final analysis: Many attractions but we felt that food was not acceptable. We were both sick from eating the food on different occasions and I was so terribly ill the final night that I wouldn't wish that experience to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Palace rooms are newer.
Dear guest,
I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but let me tell you that you were staying at Hotel Palace Deluxe and our Hotel is Barceló Bavaro Beach, your comments are very important to us; therefore we will forward your comments to the appropriate address hotel.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just returned from staying at this beautiful resort. We loved every minute of it. Would definitely recommend it. Here are some tips:

1) The beach is beautiful. Take some time to walk it.
2) Sleep in. There are lots of beach chairs so you don't have to rush to get one.
3) Check out Chez Gourmet. It was definitely one of our fav places to eat.
4) Our airline company offered us a free shuttle to a local jewellery shop and cigar "museum". Worth it b/c it's free if you want some high quality jewellery or to see how cigars are made up close and personal.
5) Bring some snorkeling gear down to the beach. We saw rays, starfish, urchins, seahorse and a few species of fish.
6) Try a Caipreenha at the bar! A local drink which was delish. Lots of lime, sugar, and rum!
7) The Spanish restaurant - La Fluente - was also delish. Service wasn't as good as Chez Gourmet but food was good.
8) For a fix of North American pub food - Check out Strikers Sports Bar - wings, fries etc. all day long.
9) Hole 19 restaurant by the golf course is worth a visit and you can order from the menu here at any time.
10) Try the omlet bar at the Caribe buffet. Fresh, hot eggs made to your liking. Even "blanco" with just egg whites if you like.
11) Take the kayaks out! Free and fun.
12) Take the train on a tour to check out the whole resort when you arrive to get a feel for where everything is.

Enjoy!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your nice comments and most important points regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for your holiday.
Director

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Beach? Share your experiences!