“Great dinners, terrible breakfast & lunch buffets. Beautiful beach, had a nice, relaxing time.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only

You added Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Bavaro Km. 1 | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 35% discount
Ranked #23 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kankakee, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed in the adults only section which is almost pointless b/c for most dinners we had to catch the trolley to the family section. The buffets for breakfast and lunch are absolutely awful & nearly inedible but the dinners were pretty darn good especially Mexican & Italian restaurants. There was a different one hour show on the adult side each night, they were okay. I've been to Cancun & Riviera Maya for all inclusive and the people just weren't as friendly in the Dominican. Not saying nobody was friendly but not as friendly as I'd like or am use to. They had people cleaning seaweed on the beach everyday. There were random boats docked to the left side of the ocean for rentals and excursions along with the aquarium straight out in front of the beach. No clear views. We didn't spend the extra for premium and had an ocean front, not as close to the ocean as I would've liked but it was still good enough. Room service didn't come until really late so some days we didn't even have our room cleaned or get new towels. They were doing loud construction in the room above and the building next door, that was obnoxious. The only offer 1 beer - Presidente. I didn't like that you had to make reservation the day you get there or you might not eat until 10pm. We speak English and it was few and far between finding someone to have a conversation with. Overall though I would recommend going here but next time I might pay more to go somewhere better or just go back to Mexico.

Room Tip: You have to pay premium to get a good ocean front room for the most part. We didn't and still go...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was our third stay at this hotel . The 1998 and 2000" Bavaro Palace "is now the 2012 "Bavaro Beach ", it took us a few days to realize that .The old Bavaro Beach has been demolished and replaced by the Palace Deluxe , which is a fantastic place .We returned this time to test the redesigned golf course but we were not impressed , however the pro shop and the restaurant "19th Hole " are very nice . We were very impressed by the quality of the installations , the warm welcome we received and the very relaxed atmosphere we felt .The food , the service at the buffet and à la carte restaurants are" top notch"The Chill Out bar is a great place to hang around and relax . The animation team is fantastic , especially "Sexy Monkey " and the girls . The disco located at the Palace could easily become an attraction like the Coco Bongo of Playa del Carmen .Of all the shows we saw , the one we liked the most was the band that played brilliantly rock of the 80s The only thing we didn't like was the noise made by the rooms cleaning staff early in the morning , if your room is located at "rez-de-chaussée" that's a problem Another thing that should be improved in Punta Cana is the possibility for a tourist to go out by himself in a secure and affordable way Thanks again for the great staff of of the Barcelo Bavaro Beach

Room Tip: take a second or third floor room
Laughlintown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife and I visited punta cana in september, this hotel was beyond our expectations. The food was superb, the staff was amazing. We had a very nice relaxing week. Elyn and Maria Rosa were alot of fun to be around and made our stay more enjoyable with their conversation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I went with my girlfriend for 4 nights in late November and we stayed at the Adults only section which is a 5 minute walk from the main Palace Deluxe. I did a lot of research prior to booking and read through a lot of generally mixed reviews both on Expedia and Trip Advisor. I had some concerns going into this trip and to my surprise ended up being VERY satisfied with my stay and overall experience. Looking back, I think the people complaining about this hotel are just the sort that are extremely hard to please. For what you pay, the value is almost shocking to the point where I wonder how this resort even makes money. My review is intended to highlight and address some of the most common complaints and praises with this hotel.

Service/Friendliness of Staff (4 out of 5) - Overall the staff was very friendly. Look, these people do not work for tips and you are not in NYC. It’s an island and as such the pace is generally a bit slower and there is less incentive to deliver stellar top-notch service. Still, I found the service and overall attitude of the staff to be great. Communicating with the staff was fairly easy as most spoke English.

Hotel/Beach Grounds (5 out of 5) - Absolutely stunning! The grounds were so well planned out and cared for that one could easily think you were staying at a 5 star hotel. This sentiment extends to nearly every facet of the resort - the pool, hotel lobby and restaurants. The beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I've been to and rivals that of Aruba's beaches. White sand, beautiful turquoise water, etc. A lot of seaweed along the water, but the staff was always out there cleaning it up. We stayed at adults only, but were able to access all the facilities and restaurants at the Bavaro Palace that was a 10 minute walk from our hotel along the beach or a 5 minute trolley ride which Barcelo includes.

Food/Dress Code (3.5 out of 5) – The food is my only real complaint.. There are plenty of food options at this resort - roughly 8 a la carte restaurants and a handful of buffets with a wide selection of food. It's less about the selection and more about the overall taste. By the 4th day I found myself wishing I could leave the resort to eat somewhere else. Everything started to taste the same. Still for the value the food simply cannot be beat and it was certainly all eatable. At the buffets, breakfast was the best and offered more variety over lunch and dinner which were mostly the same. Tips: Make your reservations at the a la carte restaurants the day you check in as the fill up fast. Our favorites were the Mexican restaurant and the Japanese Hibachi. We also found out the hard way that the hotel enforces a strict dress code for all dinner dining options. I was wearing a nice pair of dress shorts and boat shoes to dinner and they would not let me in meanwhile they let someone with adidas sweat pants in. It makes 0 sense to me that a tropical resort would not allow their guests to wear shorts. Thankfully I had one pair packed with me.

Rooms (3.5 out of 5) - Very spacious with flat screen tv's a mini bar and a patio or balcony. The furnishings were a bit bare and felt a bit cheap, but nothing that would ruin your stay. The beds seemed uncomfortable at first, but we slept well the entire week. Central air in the rooms and the walls seemed thick enough as we never heard noise from the adjacent rooms.

Spa (5 out of 5) - One of the best spa's I've ever been to. The spa itself is has its own outdoor infiniti pool that overlooks the main pool and beach. Anybody staying here must try out their spa. It's extra, but well worth the money.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5: The only reason I didn't give this a 5 out of 5 was because of the food, but that still did little to detract from everything else that was amazing about this resort. Bottom line - I would recommend this resort to just about anyone. Great value, beautiful grounds on one of the best beaches in Punta Cana and extremely relaxing and memorable.

Room Tip: Higher floors are sunnier and it's worth upgrading to beachfront if available.
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Short private transfer from the Airport was a welcome relief from our long flight.
We were greeted by a welcoming smile and fast check in, Taken to our room by Golf Buggy, unpacked and straight out to check out the Caribe Buffet for our 1st Dinner, great choice of food, wine was an aquired taste.
Resturants need to be booked so this was done next morning,Italian (ok )Steak House (Fantastic) Chez Gourmet (Fantastic) Mexican (Poor :-seemed to have lost the ability to supply wine with our meal) Spanish La Fuente (Great service, food & wine) Bohio Chill Out Bar & Mamey great Premium Brands and Cocktails.
The Golf Course is a welcome change from a sea view ,food @ the 19th Amazing well worth a trip out All in all a wonderful holiday will be back.

East Orange, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was looking for a nice resort for lying on the beach and Barcelo Bavaro Beach was it. The hotel was clean, and the staff was always helpful. Barcelo Bavaro Beach is situated on a white sand beach. They have something for everyone. The hotel was a quiet, adults only, but there is more action and families next door at the resort's larger hotel. There is a train that runs every 20 minutes to get you to a larger selection of restaurants, bars, activities, and shopping.

The food was average buffet offerings. Definitely make reservations for the a-la carte restaurants for dinner which are a slight step up from the buffets. All-inclusive drinks were below average, but I'm not a big drinker so I was okay with coffee and water.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Good Service makes all the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel. I have been to many hotels and resorts around the world; this hotel is very good, but what made it stand out for me was top-notch service from someone that speaks superb English and also understands American (and European) culture and the need for going the extra mile for the "customer". The service of Daniel (and I believe his manager Gisela who I am sure directs his work) made my stay perfect. I was having trouble getting basic information from the travel group (that sells excursions but fries not assist with independent travel) and also asking about local sights and tourist attractions - and Daniel assisted. He also adored me to give Me more info on the resort itself and tell me what I should do/see.

Overall - the resort had good amenities, lovely pool and beach (although they could take the seaweed more in the water in front of intel but that is minor), and staff are kind and always smile.

Thanks for a nice trip.