We spent 7 days here, from November 9th until November 16th. Check in was quick. Received a welcome drink and a towel to cool off. We were taken to our room, 4001, and shown how to use the safe, the fan, air conditioning, everything, which was great. The room was very large and the bed was huge. There was two sinks and a very large counter. The actual bathroom was small, but it served the purpose. Our sliding doors opened onto a small patio, off a grassy area, with two lounge chairs. It was very private and quiet, except in the evening, when we could hear music playing. That was fine; once you closed the doors, you couldn't hear anything. I would recommend bringing bug repellent, as we got bit many times sitting on our patio.
We only ate at the buffet, but the food was great. Always a lot to choose from, always fresh and appealing. The only problem we had was the lack of service at the buffet. The hostess was always great, greeting us and saying goodbye but the rest of the wait staff seemed like they didn't want to be there. Sometimes we would get our drinks right away, other times the floor supervisor had to get someone to come over to us. Our Spanish is not the best but we would always try and greet them and ask how they were doing. Most of the time, they completely ignored us, just a quick nod of the head and they would walk away. The buffet was never overly busy so we could never figure out why we were so ignored. We would always tip, regardless of the service but it didn't seem to make a difference. Sometimes when I went to eat by myself, nobody would even ask me if I wanted something to drink, or to clear away my plate. I would be left completely alone. We are very easy people to please, but I really felt uncomfortable there. The staff always had time to chat with each other but when it came to us, they seemed almost unhappy to be serving us. Sometimes they would just walk by the table and stare at you, even if you offered a hello. It was a little intimidating. We did have one or two great servers, but in general, we felt like a nuisance to the servers working there. If they would have just offered a smile, we would have felt a lot better.
The drink service around the pool was better. They were always coming around, asking if we wanted something to drink. The drinks were great. Most of the time there was more than enough alcohol in the drink!
The service in the lounge area was okay. Sometimes we would have someone ask if we wanted a drink right away, sometimes we would have to wait 15-20 minutes before anyone came around. But that wasn't a big deal. If we wanted a drink that bad, we could just walk up to the bar and order something. I just wish the service was more consistent.
The beach was amazing. There were a lot of chairs all up and down the beach and we never had a problem finding one. There are palms trees everywhere so if you want shade, you have no trouble finding it and if you want full sun, you just move your chair closer to the water. We always found the beach quiet and relaxing, but we would usually move to the pool in the afternoon, when it would get a little windy on the beach.
The pool was great. We never had a problem finding a chair. The water was cool, the perfect temperature to cool off. The pool is close to the buffet so if you got hungry, you just had to walk a few steps to grab something to eat. There is a bar right at the pool and it takes nothing to jump out and grab a drink. The server will even deliver it to you in the water if you ask.
The overall resort is quite big. There is a shuttle that comes around to take you to different parts of the hotel. It was fun to just hop on and check out the resort. We did walk to the main building once and it only took about 5 minutes on the beach, if that. The main building has numerous shops and restaurants. The pool area is a lot busier and a lot louder, so we were happy that we chose the adult only side.
The reason I gave this resort only 3 stars was because of the flooding we experienced in our room. Not just once, but three times. I was fully aware going there that we would probably receive some rain and thunder storms. That was never a problem, it usually stopped in a few minutes. The problem was the rain would come into the front and back door of our ground floor room. The first time it happened, we just kind of laughed it off. We just shoved some towels under our doors and called room service. The second time I was a little annoyed. A maid saw me wringing out out towels and came to clean our room. The third time, we woke up to an inch of water covering our whole floor. Anything that had been on the floor was soaked. That is the last thing you want to deal with on your vacation. We walked outside and the whole first floor of our building looked like it had gotten flooded. We went into the lobby to wait for someone to get around to cleaning the water in our room. It took quite awhile because a lot of rooms had been flooded and they didn't have enough people to clean it up. We overheard one lady complaining about it and she was told they were working on the problem. Since rainy season is nothing new, you would think they would have fixed the problem a long time ago. One hotel representative walked by, saw us half asleep on the couch and asked if we were okay. We told her we were waiting for our room to be cleaned because it had flooded. She just walked away. No apology, nothing. At that point, I just wanted to go home.
We did talk to quite a few other people who felt the same way as us. We aren't sure if it is just the resort or the attitude in general in the Dominican Republic. It is quite a long way for us to travel to give this country a second chance so unfortunately, it will be our first and last trip there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standing on the sands of one of the world’s top 10 beaches, the hotel Barceló Bávaro Beach has been reinvented following extensive renovation work to become an exclusive 5-star hotel for adults. Offering access to all facilities at the Barceló Bávaro Beach Resort complex of which it is part, it has numerous bars and restaurants serving lovingly prepared and varied dishes 24 hours a day in a perfect setting, on Punta Cana’s original Bávaro Beach, at the eastern end of the Dominican Republic.During the day, guests can practise any number of sports, ranging from football, tennis, water sports and golf on our 18-hole course. At night, we offer a wealth of entertainment with the various evening shows, discos, casino, and more... Highlights:- Hotel for adults only - Perfect for romantic getaways. - Located on one of the world’s top 10 beaches - Just 15 km from Punta Cana International Airport - 80% of its rooms are right on the beachfront - Rooms with the highest quality finish and cutting-edge technology - Very varied cuisine - Golf course at the Resort- Spa at the Resort ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Barcelo, Hotels.com, Tingo, Venere, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com and Expedia so you can book your Barcelo Bavaro Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Barcelo Bavaro Punta Cana
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
- Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Bavaro Beach Resort
- Barcelo Punta Cana Resort
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort Punta Cana