“Just Skip the Spa” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Beach

You added Barcelo Bavaro Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Bavaro Km. 1 | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #17 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
South Carolina
“Just Skip the Spa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Everything is included in the Barcelo, but in the spa, everything is nickels & dimes. The fitness center is spacious but feels like a Courtyard motel fitness center. You can't use the showers when you use the FC unless you pay an extra $35 for the Hydration Package.

I'd asked the Barcelo expressly about using the FC, sauna and showers before I went and was told that was fine, only massage cost extra. The Spa staff wasn't helpful at all --

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Polish first
Purcellville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Barcelo Bavaro Beach Adults section for about a week at the beginning of July.
PEOPLE: Dominicans are very friendly and nice people. A lot speak a bit of English. But knowing Spanish would definitely be beneficial.
TOURISTS: The majority I would say are from Europe and South America. A lot of Russians. Not too many Americans and Canadians. Hardly any from Asia.
ROOMS: The first room we were given in build.3 on the 3 floor was nice but the bathtub was absolutely disgusting mostly yellow and rusted. So I asked the cleaning ladies that I saw outside if all rooms were like that (it's handy to speak Spanish). They showed us a vacant room next door and the bathroom was better (still far from what you would expect). They even called the reception and we moved into that room. The room was clean. The TV worked fine, it's just took us a while to figure out where the English channels were since they didn't match the numbers on the channel listing. It was very quiet with the exception of peacocks screaming early in the morning a couple of times.
FOOD: Food was OK, I'd say you won't go hungry. We found the buffet restaurant in the Deluxe part of the resort to have more variety, like some reviewers had mentioned earlier. We didn't go to the restaurants where you had to make reservations because my husband didn't bring long pants and shorts weren't allowed, which wasn't a big deal.
ENTERTAIN.:The entertainment was very poor. There was hardly anybody watching it. It would be so nice if they had locals singing, dancing wearing traditional costumes. I would love that. But instead they had some boring lip singing and harem dancing. The beach was very nice! This is one thing I liked the most. It is very long and very wide with plenty of palm trees that provided plenty of shade. The entertainment on the beach was better. Aerobic dances were pretty good.
SHOPPING: There were a lot of expensive shops in the Deluxe part of the resort. Nothing we don't have in the US. There was one gift shop in the adult section. They don't take cash at the gift shops. A lot of African souvenirs, considering the history. There is a local beach right next to the adult resort with a lots of little shops and anybody can go there. Prices there were better than at the resort for some common souvenirs. But not everything.
POOL: nice but hard to find a chaise in a shady spot. We spent only one day at the pool.
TRIPS: We went on a wonderful trip Mega Truck Safari with Olympus Tours. Visited local school (only two students were there "on duty" I guess). I am a teacher so that was very interesting to me. We drove quite a bit here and there in the province of La Altagracia, visiting local villages and the town of Higuey. There is a 500 year old church there and a big Cathedral. We saw sugar cane plantation and went to somebody's house higher in the mountains, probably stage, but interesting nevertheless. We visited a little cigar stand and the girl who rolled the cigars offered us some, which we couldn't resist, though neither one of us smokes. It was fun. We went horseback riding for about 20-25 min - it was very hot. Than we had Dominican lunch - simple, but tasty. We last stop was at the Macao Beach, the only public beach of the area - beautiful! We were back at the resort at about 5 PM. There was a bartender on our truck serving beer, coca-cola, sprite, water, rum drinks all the time. That was all included in the price which was about $90 per person. We loved this trip!
Overall we loved our stay, but probably wouldn't go back because there are so many other places to explore!

Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The resort itself was huge, clean, beautiful, and had excellent beaches. The food was disgusting, and making dinner reservations was a painful process. The restaurants were always "booked," but they were more than half empty when we did get a reservation. Reservations were usually very late -- after 9pm, and be mindful that men must wear short sleeves and long pants! Otherwise, the service was excellent and people did not hound for tips. The drinks were so-so -- often cheap with the alcohol. Plenty of things to do without needing to leave the resort. Pack your own food because the selection, even in the restaurants, was rather disgusting and made us sick. The Beach side (Adults Only) had much nicer beaches and was more serene; however, it does not have the balcony jacuzzis (Junior Suites only). Overall, very accommodating staff and a good vacation, but I gave it 4 stars because the whole food situation was a major turn-off.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed from the 13 - 20th and wanted to write this review as everything is fresh in our minds. We checked in and were given a room with 2 double beds in the 3rd building on the 3rd floor, which is not what I had requested. We wanted a king bed, so went back to reception and the guy was rude. Probably the only person we found rude. He said we couldn't get a king bed and put our name down for one that would come up in 2 days - pretty awful. He just was lazy and couldn't be bothered to look. So the 2nd days we went back to reception and complained loudly, we insisted on a King bed and they finally gave us one, again after insisting they give us one - it's almost like they are too lazy to go the extra mile for you (if we were Spanish, I don't think it would have been a problem - they do cater to their own kind). Unfortunatley, it was like pulling teeth, and the room was in the 2nd building, but on the 2nd floor. So you can hear the people above you pulling chairs around. They need to put pads on the bottom of their chairs. Because the floors are tiled, as people move the chairs, they are so loud and we were constantly woken up by them. The room itself was nice, nothing fancy, small balcony, but decent. Beds are very comfortable, A/C works perfect, food is just o.k., nothing spectular. By far the best part was the beach which is what we came for. The beach is beautiful, so many chairs, lots of shade, all by palm trees. You never need to worry you won't get a chair in the shade. It was great. We love the Adults only part of it, and if we wanted, we'd venture over to the Beach Palace where all the little kids were, but we didn't stay long (they had better drinks over there). It was beautiful though, but we enjoyed the quietness of the adults only section. We saw a lot of the Palace people (younger people), constantly on our side - probably to get away from the noisy kids The shows are not very good- especially in the Palace - so loud - you would think people were deaf. But all in all, it's o.k. I don't think we'll be back again until they do something about the food - we seem to always to get sick on something and my husband and I both got something, and most people we spoke to also got sick, so it's a common occurence I think. The hotel is pretty good value for money and we had the nicest stretch of beach on the part of the Bavaro beach so we got our money's worth. We went on a excursion, which I would tell people to stay away from - the Saona island one - it's not worth the $100.00 - the beach there was horrible and we were so disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a room (if you can), on the 3rd floor so you don't have to hear the noise from people ups...
Central New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I went for a week 7/11-7/18 and I had, by far, the most relaxing vacation of my life (and I've been on many). I went with my boyfriend & another couple. We stayed on the Adults Only side, and it was GREAT! There were NO KIDS! I love kids, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it's good to be away from the drunk teens who are being carried out of the pool by their friends (which we did see when we walked over to the palace deluxe side. There were security cameras all over, and security guards posted at every corner, so it was super safe. The only thing is the food. It wasn't horrible, but we were able to make decent reservations for the week. The staff is super humble & hard working, loved them! We also had to opportunity to go zip lining, which we booked with out Apple Vacations rep. We had to leave the resort for that, about 45 mins from our resort. It was one of the best experiences EVER!

I would definitely go back to this resort, i loved it!

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Every year, my girlfriends and I go on a summer trip. This particular year was to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I had read the reviews for Barcelo Bavaro Beach, and saw that they were split down the middle. So I didn't really know what to believe. When we got to the hotel, the front desk was EXTREMELY rude. He told us that drinks were not included in the all-inclusive deal and tried to sell us wrist bands for an additional $17. We initially agreed, then he told us that it was $17 a day! We declined the offer and after waiting an hour, were sent to our room. The room was pretty beat up. The doors were worn through so thin that I could see into the room from outside. My friends and I looked at each other and laughed. We had come with a very positive mentality, so none of us wanted to be the "Debbie Downer", but we decided, WE NEED TO SPEAK UP! We went and spoke with hotel management, and by some unforeseen higher universal power and probably the fact that I wore my lucky shirt, the hotel manager turned out to be a friend of the friend of MY friend. She had talked to her friend and he had called the manager and told him to look out for us. When the manager realized who we were he helped us out. I do have to say, he had a very nice demeanor with us prior to finding this out. When we arrived to our new room, we all let out a sigh of relief. THIS was what we expected. It was a nice room steps from the beach. Room service is a bit slow, and you pretty much have to sell your first born for a towel, but we enjoyed the villas. The hotel "Club" was pretty boring, but I suggest going to the Cave club at night. Definitely a good time, and you get to experience partying in a cave. This resort was geared more for families than for 20 year old on vacation. I probably would stay at a resort with more to do, as this one had limited options. I recommend doing the excursions that are sold on the beach. The memories we have from those excursions are the best part of the trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Caracas, Venezuela
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The hotel itself was really relaxing and wide open to feel the amazing ocean breeze. it wasn't full of people everywhere. we had our own space to settle down and have fun. The best part was having the option to travel and enjoy the palace side and its atmosphere. that one was more crowded and the center of the activities. Still, we loved going away to our beach side where kids are not allowed and we could enjoy the amenities by the beach.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Beach? Share your experiences!