“The perfect honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Richmond, Virginia
“The perfect honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

My new husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro for our honeymoon. I was excited because of the fantastic reviews, but we have high standards so I was also a little nervous. I can say without question that we made the right choice. The staff is so nice. Everyone says hola and asks how your stay is. If there is something wrong, the buck isn't passed but it is taken care of quickly and efficiently. One of our reservations was lost one night and they were able to seat us at another restaurant and then make reservations for another night. No problem! The drinks tasted a little watered down at times, but that didn't bug us. Our butlers were very helpful in making reservations and setting up our jacuzzi. They were always approaching us at the pool or catching up with us in the corridor to see how our stay was. We also splurged for an ocean front room which was worth it, but next time we come I think we will just go for a standard room. Our room was always clean for us but some maids were better than I others. We tipped regularly but I never felt that anyone had their hand out. In fact some people didn't even notice you had money in your hand for them and you had to chase them down to tip! Our favorite staff members were Henry and Jason our butlers and Winston our star friend. We really enjoyed getting to know Winston and he is just a genuinely great guy who loves his job, his country, and his family. We especially loved playing Magic Carpet!! The hotel itself was impeccably clean. They were constantly painting to keep things looking fresh and the gardens are beautiful. Food was pretty good. Impressive for all inclusive. Japanese was our favorite restaurant (we LOVE Jose!!) and then Italian. We didn't like the buffet for dinner and lunch was always pretty good. Breakfast was best at the buffet. Room service breakfast arrived late and didn't seem fresh. Some changes we would request: better internet connection. Wasn't a big deal since we wanted to be mostly unplugged, but it was so incredibly spotty it was annoying. We also had problems with our jacuzzi not turning on. And I think it would be nice if they had some clocks at the pool area. Star friends will tell you about activities at certain times but it's hard to keep track of the time. And we had some excursions we were afraid we would be late to. All in all, our honeymoon was spectacular. We will definitely return again. We felt very safe and valued. Thanks for a great vacation!!

• Stayed September 2013
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guests,
On behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, hotel Manager, we thank you for having taken time to post a review about your experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for choosing our hotel as your honeymoon destination. We wish you well in this especial step in your lives.
We are very pleased to read that despite some issues with your room and our breakfast room service for which we extend our apologies, you enjoyed from a “perfect honeymoon” while staying our hotel premises as the title of your publication states. We appreciate your motivating lines where you highlighted the excellent service of our staff among them Henry and Jason, your butler. In Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection we are committed to provide the best personalized service to our “Stars” on vacation.
We are looking forward to see you again and celebrate your first wedding anniversary, and remain at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit.
Kindest regards,

3,648 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We just returned from our honeymoon at the iberostar grand bavaro hotel. Before booking our trip I researched many all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. I read almost every review I could find and that's what sold me on this resort and they were totally right! My husband ( who is just about the pickiest person I've ever met) and I could not find one thing to complain about at the end of our trip. The food was AMAZING, the staff, butlers, managers were so accommodating. The beaches were beautiful. We went during a slower time of the year and it was great because we could go down to the pool or beach at any time and find a cabana or lounge chairs. They served top shelf liquor, many times without us even asking for it. If you are still thinking about whether to book this resort or not, don't waste anymore time just book it! If you want a great deal, we booked with Amy at beach bum vacations who was great and also booked all our dinner reservations in advance. We don't even know where to go next because we can't find a resort to top this!

Room Tip: dont do private pool. its not really private. definitely get an ocean view patio. its worth it.
Dear Guests,
On behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, Hotel Manager, we thank you for having taken time to post a review about your honeymoon experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for choosing our hotel for such as especial and romantic occasion. We wish you a successful marriage.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that our hotel premises, exquisite gastronomy and excellent service met your expectations based on the reviews posted by other “Stars” and ensured you an unforgettable experience during such as especial time. In Iberostar every single member of our staff is committed to provide an excellent service so we can ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests.
We will be glad to welcome you once again and celebrate your first anniversary and remain at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit.
With best regards,
Norwalk, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The weather was beautiful, and the hotel grounds, lobby and common areas were all very nice. Our room was also very nice and clean. Our butler was a no show after greeting us shortly after our arrival. We had a very detailed conversation about our wishes for dining at the different restaurants. We wrongly assumed the butler had taken of everything as he said he would. The next night we realized he had not made any reservations for us. We called the desk and they made us couple reservation were and when they could. We arrived for dinner the next night only to find out we didn't have a reservation. Again we went to the desk and after a half hour we were told everything was full the rest of the week. We had two average dinner experiences. The rest of the nights we had room service. It was delivered in a timely manner and the food was decent in fact I preferred it to the dinner buffet. The wait staff in the main dinning area was ok. They failed to deliver food items to our table and a few rude comments that were muttered in spanish didn't go unnoticed. The pool and bar area were nice. Some bartenders were better than others and the drinks were weak but that was little concern for us. The fitness area was pretty decent and we managed to have decent training sessions. We had a great time, but it didn't live up to the high rating.

Dear guest,
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to write some comments about your experience at our hotel.
On the one hand, we would like to express how much we appreciate your positive comments about the beauty and cleanness of our grounds, our Room Service option and our gastronomy offered during lunch and breakfast. Those are part of our guiding principles in Iberostar to ensure memorable stays to our beloved guest. Likewise, we have communicated our Executive Chef your remarks concerning our a la carte restaurants and our nightly themed buffet.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for the breakdown in the service of your butler and some staff members from our Bar and Restaurant team. Your feedback has been shared with the corresponding departmental heads in order to take the appropriated measures to deliver the level of service expected by our staff.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance. We will be happy to welcome you back.
Yours sincerely,
windsor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

After reading all the hype, we booked thinking it was a guarantee. We were very disappointed. I know people on the islands have a different way of life, and don't earn a lot, but we were asked several times by different staff to give them money for new shoes or money to feed their kids! One girl approached my wife and asked her how much her diamond ring cost. She said for that amount She could buy a village and then proceeded to blatantly ask us for $200 because her mother had some disease and needed some medicine. As a physician, I questioned her and nothing she was saying was even close to the truth or symptoms of her ailment so I knew she was lying. Not to be arrogant, this is unacceptable. I have been to many 5 star hotels and this was the first time I was actually harassed. I guess word goes around fast amongst the staff when they have a good tipper in the house! Found it a real turn off. Found the staff of the morning buffet a bit rude, especially when you ask to sit in a specific area! Had a small issue one day in our room. So when we were in the lobby we decided to go to the desk. upon approaching the front desk staff about it, found we were dismissed rudely, and it seemed like we were interrupting their telephone call. Was promised issue would be rectified, however it wasn't. We tipped our maid, and she took care of it.
Rooms were nice, can see things getting a little tired. Overall the food was good, wine selection was fine and the alcohol and beverage choices were great.
Pools were great and able to go for great walks along the beach.
Met up with a few people that had been to this hotel several times before, and they also mentioned things were getting a little worst then in previous years. Wonder how long they will stay number one in things persist.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear guest,
We have sent you a private message via TripAdvisor to get some additional information about your stay to share with our Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro Management as we are not sure you were lodged at our premises.
With regards,
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The best hotel my wife and I ever stayed. I'm an Expedia elite member, I travel quiet a lot. I have been and see many different all inclusive resorts, many hotel venues with different style of services provided. I tell you, this hotel is just pure amazing! Thank you Iberostar Grand. Thank you Expedia for relocating me and sending me to this hotel per my wishes. I was checked in to a completely different hotel, within few hours we literally ran away from it. Thank god for Iberostar Grand. I don't need to name the hotel where we were relocated from because the negativity by end isn't important. What matters is that words simply cant describe how amazing this hotel is. The staff, the service, the grounds, the management, everything about this hotel is absolutely the best. I recommend this hotel to anyone who plans on going to punta cana. There is nothing else like it! I run a Global entertainment music/DJ company, and deal alot with destination weddings, and mostly young wedding couples. I have a huge following, and I can assure personally, that all my clientele, friends, family, colleges, will be notified of my experience. This is an ideal spot for a destination wedding, or a great romantic getaway with that special someone. You will be treated like royalty! Thank you Edward (Supervisor/Manager at Iberostar Grand). I have spoken to you on the phone, and gotten my wish. The entire team at IBEROSTAR Grand deserves nothing but high praises. Your main focus on customer satisfaction, especially with that personal exclusive touch can be felt the minute we stepped in the lobby. If anyone wants a resort, that will treat you on a personal exclusive level, this is it. I have stayed and worked in over 30 all inclusive resorts in the last couple of years, I know the difference, and I know whats expected. Simply put, anyone who sees this post, don't believe me, just go and experience it for yourself. I say this to everyone, this is the only way you will ever know the true difference, and what real excellence is all about!

P.S I hope this review, reaches out to all the staff members at the hotel. They all deserve a pat on the back. They should all be proud of the hard work, effort, heart, and dedication they put in their job.

From #7259 September 16 - 21, 2013 :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to write some comments about your experience at our hotel.
We would like to express how happy we are to acknowledge your motivating review in which you highlighted out the excellent service provided by our friendly staff even before arriving to our lobby. In Iberostar our teams are committed to make feel our guests as “Stars” on vacation as Edward did.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon. Please feel free to contact us before your next visit.
With regards,
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed 5 days at the Grand and it was amazing. The staff were very helpful and the nicest anyone could ask for. There was not a moment when we needed a drink or something to eat that we couldn't be accommodated with. The food was pretty good for the lunch period. The best food was in the evenings. The surf & Turf was exceptional as was the Japanese restaurant. The grounds, the hotel, our room and even the beach is groomed to an immaculate condition. The sand on this beach is white and the softest we've ever experienced. We could not find our Latte or iced coffee drinks as we were accustomed to here at home but we managed just fine. I would recommend this resort highly to anyone looking for a place to relax and enjoy the best ocean, palm trees and service one could imagine.

Room Tip: our room was on the first floor overlooking the garden, it was perfect. I wouldn't spend the mo...
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for posting a review about your experience among us.
On behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, hotel Manager, we would like to express you our satisfaction to acknowledge that the friendliness and excellent service of our staff and our exquisite cuisine made you enjoy from a relaxing holiday. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to provide the best service to our valuable costumers.
We will be glad to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for any assistance prior your return.
Best regards,
Indian Trail, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

After months of research and reading other reviews on TripAdvisor, I felt fairly confident in choosing the Iberostar Grand Bavaro for our first grown-ups only trip with my sister in law and her husband. We'd spent hours reading other traveler reviews and watching slideshows of pictures from other reviewers...we managed to get so excited we were worried that we would set our expectations too high and be disappointed. We should not have worried! The resort is everything it appears to be in pictures, and even better than the reviews prepared us to expect- from the moment we stepped off the shuttle van to the moment we had to leave, we were in paradise.

The property: the design of the property is imposing and regal, and the decor impressive. Low, comfortable couches scattered between tall columns; beautifully landscaped gardens with winding paths; gorgeous hallways with mirrors, artwork, sculpture and private conversation spaces....somehow, the resort manages to feel huge and intimate at the same time. The layout, with the rooms, restaurants and shops framing the central garden and pool area, makes the space feel cozy and private; yet at no time did we feel cramped or crowded. And it is all so very, very clean. Every morning the staff of the Iberostar is out mopping, sweeping, dusting - it felt immaculately clean and well-maintained. The bathrooms are all so beautifully appointed (each area has different themed bathrooms - it's worth it to try to see them all!) and clean....The pool area was large and laid out in such a way that all of the chairs and cabanas felt close to the water. The beach was pristine and the water as blue as the pictures make it appear. The beach staff keep the area clean and the palapas were spaced well apart for privacy. Everything about the look and feel of the resort was perfect....

The rooms: we were on the 4th floor in the center section, so we had incredible views of the garden, pool and ocean. We'd get up early each morning to sit on our balcony and feel the breeze roll in from the water and marvel at how beautiful everything looked! The bed was comfortable and large, the air conditioning was AMAZING, the bathroom was spacious and we had all of the amenities we needed. We didn't spend much time in the room, but we were very comfortable in it!

The food: better than most all-inclusives. The breakfast and lunch buffets were not exciting, but the food always appeared to be very fresh. The restaurants were VERY fun and very good. We ate at the hibachi on our first night and had a wonderful, silly time with our chef and tablemates. The food is standard for the chain Japanese steakhouses we have at home, tasty and in large quantities. We also ate at the Italian restaurant, which gets some less-than-stellar reviews here, but which we enjoyed immensely. The food was presented beautifully and was very good, in portions that were entirely more than we could eat. We really loved the surf and turf, which had an excellent variety of dishes and all cooked very well. We were a little disappointed that crab legs seemed to be still frozen instead of served hot, but as they were only an appetizer, we just skipped over them. The wine served with the meals is pretty middle of the road, but absolutely drinkable. The non-wine lovers in our party had cocktails instead. The bars serve snacks as well as drinks, and all of the drinks are poured pretty strong!! Room service was a little disappointing as all of the food was cold by the time it reached our rooms - if you choose to order room service, consider ordering already-cold items, like the fruit trays.

The people, the people, the people: The very best part about this resort is its staff, every single one of whom work hard to make our vacations wonderful. I never walked past anyone in Iberostar uniform who didn't make it a point to greet me and ask me how my trip was going. The lovely women who were cleaning (they are ALWAYS cleaning and keeping things beautiful) would pause to say hello, the gentlemen cleaning the flamingo pond would smile and wave- everyone at the resort makes it a point to be welcoming and friendly. We met some incredible people here. Lely, who was our favorite beach & pool bar server, had an amazing sense of humor; Leticia found us every single day to check in and make sure we were having as much fun as possible; Boom-Boom was an ever-present entertainment - his entire job seemed to be walking around checking in to see that you were doing something enjoyable....Maria helped us play silly games on her birthday...our wonderful butler, Kelvin, seemed to materialize every time we had questions or needed anything. Abdul, who worked in the bell service area, kept us entertained as he drove us around the adjoining resorts. Everyone in the resort worked HARD to keep us happy yet it never felt like an effort. It's hard to imagine people being that naturally happy all the time, but they really seemed to be happy to help. We were grateful for their presence.

We visited the neighboring Iberostar properties and a few of the others on the island, and I can tell you that the biggest difference was the people. It's amazing how much the atmosphere of a resort changes when the staff is happy. We saw a lot of unhappy travelers at the other resorts, and a lot of unhappy staff in them....we were SO eager to return to our haven at the Iberostar Grand!! We laughed so much on this trip, and smiled so much, because of the people around us. The staff is truly, truly the best part of the resort.

A word of advice: join in on the games and activities. Yes, they will make you look silly. And yes, chances are you'll be really bad at them. But you will have SO much fun! We took dancing lessons, "rode" the magic carpet and played the egg game and had a wonderful time doing it all.

Have an AMAZING trip! You will be so very glad you chose this resort!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guests,
On behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays and for publishing a review about your experience.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that you high expectations regarding our hotel premises, exquisite gastronomy and excellent service based on the reviews posted by other “Stars” were not only met but also ensured you a memorable experience. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star” with the excellent service of our staff like Abdul, Kelvin, Lely and the Star Friends you mentioned in your publication. We extend our apologies for the breakdown in the Room Service food temperature. Your feedback has been sent to our Executive Chef.
We will be honored to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance prior your next visit.
With best regards,

Been to Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel? Share your experiences!