“Coco Loco withdrawal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Ghent, Belgium
“Coco Loco withdrawal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

It has been three weeks since we returned from a trip at the Iberostar Grand in Punta Cana. I have to admit that it was extremely hard to get back to reality after spending a week in Paradise. No more delicious breakfast buffets, no longer the exquisite service, no more lobster, no more sun (seriously, what's wrong with Europe's weather!). And both my husband and me we suffering from serious Coco Loco & Pina Colada withdrawal :-)

We are definitely coming back to this wonderful place.

Some tips:
* Request the location of your room on beforehand.
* Make your restaurant reservations on beforehand (2 weeks before arrival date). Restaurants are fully booked by the time you arrive (although they are never full) and they are just too good to miss.
* L.O.V.E.D. the Surf&Turf restaurant.
* Take enough money for tips. The staff works extremely hard (we were always amazed to see the same people returning (at breakfast, lunch, dinner and at night in the club). They must be working 14 hour shifts and they remain so friendly. For tips: we gave pesos, but our friends payed with dollars. Both work fine. We gave 50 or 100 pesos for drinks, 100 each day for room keeping, 500 for massage,...
* Taste the Coco Loco
* Go golfing. The course is wonderful.

Room Tip: You can request the room location on beforehand to the Rooms Division Manager. It's definitely s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays and for having taken time to post a review about your experience.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that our friendly staff, our exquisite gastronomy and the beauty of our premises ensured you an unforgettable holiday. In Iberostar we aim to ensure our guests a memorable holiday.
We are looking forward to see you again, we stay at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit,
Kindest regards,

3,666 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (969)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from 5 nights at the Iberostar Grand and I don't have a single complaint. We quickly arrived at the hotel after a 25 minute air conditioned bus ride and were greeted with a cool towel and a beverage and our room was to be ready in 15 minutes. We walked to the beach and our room was ready when we got back.

The room was beautiful and our butler Henry was helpful as he explained how everything in the room worked. Unlike other reviewers I did see Henry several times throughout the week. He even overheard us mention it was our anniversary on the 18th and on that day came to say happy anniversary. We also had a bouqet of roses and daisies as well as champagne delivered to us that day which must have been his doing.

The food was the best I ahve ever had and I have been to tons of resorts in Mayan Riviera, Cuba, Cozumel, Dominican, Caymen Islands and Jamaica. Everything was soooo good I definintley put on some weight while I was there.

Oh yes another thing..when Henry was showing us the room he explained that he has received my email request for your 3 a'la carte reservations and not only did he have them booked all for exactly the time I had asked (7:00 p.m.) he had even booked us in the fourth restaurant as well. The food was great at all the a la cartes but if we had to have skipped one night and gone to the buffet I would not be unhappy. The food everywhere is Delish. The Japanese was my favorite but they are all good! The only complaint about the food is that I love lobster and although it seems like they do have an abundance eof lobster on every menu and at the buffet everyday...it isn't quite the lobster I am used to. The lobster in Punta Cana do not have claws and are much smaller..I think they said they were called langosta or something like that. So I was a bit disappointed because it wasn't as tasty and was something I was really looking forward to but I got over it. For brekfest we had omlettes, bacon, hasbrowns, fruits, cheese, etc. and for lunch we loved the guacamole and fresh salsa with torilla, cheesburgers, (never got to try the steak but looked good), salad, pizza, chicken fingers, onion rings and more.

The pools do not come with floaters in it but I think if you asked you could get some. My boyfriend and I bought some from target before we came and the staff at the towel bar blow hem up with a machine for you so that might be something to consider.

The service is the absolute best thing about this place. I don't think no is in their vocabulary. Anything you want you can have. My boyfriend and I ordered pizza and corona from room service in the middle of the night and the pizza came in on silver platters with the round lids! The room is cleaned multiple times a day and candles lit to keep your room smelling amazing. The maids work so hard to make sure your rooms are perfect and fold every little item you leave out. We were sure to leave a few american dollers on the bed for her each day.

One night at dinenr we realized we didnt have money to tip so I ran to the room and saw a maid and henry the butler standing outside my door. My boyfriend had left the safe open and the maid was worried why is was open so henry and she had me check and make sure everything was there. Afterwards henry said "Im sorry can I use your key and just show the maid it's you're room. I know it's you but she wants to be sure". It shows great security and you can really trust your being taken care of.

The shows were all really enjoyable! Our favorite was the rock show! I've seen a lot of cheesey entertainment nights at some resorts but this was incredible.

The only excursion we did was the 2 hour horse back riding on the beach for 75 dolelrs. I was a little dissapointed in it just because my boyfriend was in so much pain the whole time on his saddle and was literally bleeding on his butt! When we were done, as soon as I got off my horse the man said Tip? I felt like we hadn't even gotten ourselves together. The other guy who video tapped the whole time (and was really annoying) then tried persistently to get us to buy the 40 doller video. We did but for 25 dollers and mostly because we felt bad he had spent the last two hours doing it.

The beach is absolutely beautiful and we had the best weather. Not once did it get cloudy or rain and it was so nice and hot without being unbearable. We both got awesome tans but I would recommend wearing at least 60 sunscreen everyday and apply every hour or so because we did get pretty burned the first day and I even felt a little sick form it.

It would be nice if they had more english channels on the TVs with good movies. Just for at night when you are tired and want to relax it's nice to have a great movie to enjoy.

The nightlife consists mostly of the boat you have probably seen pictures of. I did't realize that the inside of the boat was where the party was until I got there but when you go in and down the stairs at night there is a fun dance party usually. One night they did karaoke and I sang! It was a fun night. Other nights they got everyone up dancing to songs and having a blast. Since it's down in the boat it isn't loud outside or around the boat...you don't even really know that that's happening unless you went in. There are lots of chairs to sit at too if you don't feel like dancing.

I would love to go back and had a beautiful and relaxing vacation. Please feel free to message me with any questions while the experience is still fresh in my mind.

You won't regret your decision to go here!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. We faced the other iberostar hotel and didn't mind at all. It's sti...
Dear Guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for the time you took to post a review about your vacations and anniversary celebration with us.
In the name of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, Hotel Manager, we would like to express you how satisfied we are to read your positive valuation about the service provided by our friendly staff, our exquisite gastronomical options, the activities for daily and nightly entertainment and the beauty and cleanness of our hotel premises. In Iberostar one of our commitments is to provide the best service. We have congratulated Henry for making your stay especial.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us before your arrival,
Yours sincerely,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was my second time staying in Iberostar Grand In Punta Cana and the experience was a positive one again. The Beach, the service, the food, the grounds, and most importantly the Dominican people are the best. Everyone goes out of their way to make your stay a great one.
We love that hotel so much that my fiance and I will be having our destination wedding there next year...
Have fun and enjoy the beautiful and friendly Dominican Republic... p.s don't forget to tip the workers :)

Dear guest,
On the behalf of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, and his team, we would like to thank you for posting a review about your second experience at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for your preference towards our hotel as your holiday’s destination.
We are very pleased to read that once again the friendly service provided by our staff members as well as our gastronomy ensured you another memorable experience. In Iberostar we are committed to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests.
We will be pleased to welcome you back again and celebrate your wedding. Our wedding coordinator certainly is working to arrange everything to ensure you another unforgettable experience.
Best regards,
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Chose the Grand Bavaro as a destination for my 40th birthday - went with my best friend. It was an ideal choice for us! Beautiful beach and pool area; and, despite comments I'd seen on this site, we never had any challenge finding chairs at any time of day. I found the moderate surf perfect for swimming! It's rare to be able to get to relatively deep water very close to shore. The staff is outstanding -- welcoming, friendly and will go out of their way to make sure you have the perfect vacation experience. Having been to other all-inclusives, I loved that the Grand was very compact...no golf carts to get from point A to B, no leaving 15 minutes before dinner to "find" your restaurant. We were steps away from anything we could want at all times. It's generally quiet (no raucous kids) and if the pool bar, or anywhere else, gets a tad rowdy there's plenty of space to relocate for some peace and relative solitude. The spa was lovely - I particularly recommend the pearl body treatment (which was far better than my massage.) Food is tasty -- but on a par with good quality all-inclusives...e.g. don't expect the equivalent of fine restaurants at home. The restaurant experiences were fine, but we found the buffet to be just as good and with more variety. This is not a great destination if you're all about the nightlife -- the shows were diverting, but not extraordinary. The lobby bar is nice and the "ship" offers some later night revelry...but, for the most part, this is a relaxation destination. Rooms were incredibly spacious and comfortable. Excellent bedding and air conditioning (always the most important features for me!), good water pressure and hot water reliability. It was so nice to have champagne delivered daily to enjoy on our balcony. The ONLY negative feedback I have about the resort is that (I suspect in response to some of the complaints I read here) they utilize aromatherapy to combat natural mustiness that may occur in humid climates. This was fine (and subtle) in our room. But in some of the public areas -- most notably the restaurants and public bathrooms -- the smell was totally overpowering. Cloying and heavy like a potpourri, it was disruptive -- and on more than one occasion made dining unpleasant. It was so overpowering, it competed with the food and wine. Personally, I feel like keeping things natural would be far preferable, but if a aromatherapy is essential - take it easy and use a scent that's far less noxious. Again, this was a very small complaint in the overall experience - and I would gladly recommend the Grand and go back!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the center/interior of the resort have a nice sea view from balconies. We were on a hi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for taking time to write some comments about your experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro. In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we also thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We are very satisfied to read that you and your friend enjoyed an unforgettable stay and birthday celebration in our hotel premises and facilities due to the friendliness of our team, the wide variety of our gastronomy and our “Adult Only” policy. For us in Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection it is fundamental to us to ensure exclusivity and calmness, so our guests can enjoy a relaxing and pleasant stay. We are pleased to hear that we accomplished our goal whilst you stay.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for any inconveniences related to our aromatherapy at our public toilets and restaurants. We have shared your feedback to the corresponding departments to control the intensity of the perfume.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for further assistance prior your next visit.
Kind regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Chose this hotel based on it being all inclusive as we were looking for a last minute uncomplicated "quiet" girls getaway from New York for a few days
We choose the perfect place. Direct flight from JFK, 20 minute ride from airport (hotel does not provide transportation, $38 air conditioned cab ride) and easy check in.

Hotel guests mostly couples on honeymoon, returning for anniversary or just returning for a third a fourth time. No children. Only one or two guys with sleveless (wife-beater) t-sirts at lunch buffet restaurant (comon guys, find a sleeved shirt for the restaurant) and people really dress up for dinner. Not jacket and tie, but women in great dresses and men in nice shirts with (non-athletic) shorts or nice slacks.

Several restaurants to choose between, but don't let them steer you to their sister property next door for dinner if you want a quiet dinner. This is where the families with children are staying. I don't mind children, have four myself, but just thought I would mention it to those looking for complete serenity. Food is not as good next door either, but staff is just as great. Guests from property next door cannot dine at the Grand property.

Staff is really well trained and seem genuinely happy to be working at the resort.

Small well equipped gym with ocean view next to the spa. We were able to get same day appointments at the spa. Spa staff gentle and efficient. Golf and tennis available at extra cost.

Beach has soft sand, clear water, gentle waves, nice palm umbrellas for shade and staff walking around taking drink orders.

One of the reviews I read suggested to bring dollars in small denominations for tipping. That was a good tip. It might be an "all inclusive" property but whenever appropriate, tipping was very much appreciated by the staff. Not for every drink ordered, but perhaps if the same server brings you drinks all day at the beach or if they go out of their way especially for you.

Good quality resort that is overall well kept. Upgraded bathrooms with rain shower and bath tub, great matresses, sheets and pillow, nice heavy doors for privacy, room darkening shades, easy Internet (in the room and lobby) tv, balcony overlooking courtyard with waterfall (soothing sound).

Air-conditioning and lights turn off automatically when you leave the room and turn back on when you return. Nice "green" feature. Don't leave the balcony doors open when you leave the room or you will return to everything covered in a slight mist and sheets and clothing slightly damp. It all dries out again when you turn the a/c back on.

I would come back but bring my husband the next time. Have to mention that we felt very safe in the environment.

Room Tip: Only a couple of true ocean view rooms at this very large complex as building is u-shaped around a h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, hotel Manager, we thank you for your review about our hotel on Tripadvisor and for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays.
We would like to express you our satisfaction when reading your publication in which you valued positively the quality of our hotel premises, gastronomy and services. Thank you for highlighting out the outstanding service from our friendly staff. In Iberostar we are all committed to ensure our guests to “enjoy being a Star” during their holidays.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit,
With best regards,
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Bavaro from May 13 to May 20, 2013. This decision was made after careful reviews on multiple sites about this hotel. This place will not dissappoint. This was the most amazing vacation that I have had in my life. Everyone and I mean everyone was wonderful to be around. Arismendy 'Mendy,' our butler, was nothing but amazing this entire trip. Every need, want, or desire that we had was taken care of in a timely, efficient and courteous manner. Everyday, every butler than I ran into asked if there was anything special that they could do for us for the day. Our bath was amazing that he set up, there were flowers delivered to my room, everytting was thoughtful and special. Leidy, server at the pool, was also wonderful to me and my family. We waited for her to deliver our drinks, because of her pleasant attitude and the way she took care of us. Boom-boom, part of the entertainment staff, was so very nice and helpful. The staff went above and beyond in everything they did. Besides the ones listed, there are too many to name that did an excellent job. The servers at the restaurant were attentive at all times. The food was excellent, and there was always plenty. The staff was punctual. The grounds were absolutely breathtaking. I had an oceanview room and I would highly suggest upgrading to this room. You will not be disappointed. I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an oceanview room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we would like to thank you for taking time to write some comments about your experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for choosing our premises for your holidays.
It is satisfying for the whole team to read that you have enjoyed “the most amazing vacation” of your lives, according to your review, due to the personalized service provided by our friendly staff, especially by your butler Mendy who was congratulated for making your holidays especial. Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection aims to provide the most exclusive personalized service so our valuable costumers can “enjoy being a Star” in an upscale level.
We are waiting for your next visit; please do not hesitate to contact us in advance so we can ensure you another memorable holiday.
Kind regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is a return visit for us to the Iberostar Grand Bavaro after only 18 months.

We are seasoned and experienced travelers, having visited luxury, all-inclusive, adults only resorts like Secrets, Excellence, Sandals, Palace, Iberostar, and others over the past 15 years. Many times, a return visit to a particular resort is not as rewarding as the first time. That is definitely not the case here -- this was one of our best vacations!

At the Iberostar Grand Bavaro the guest is king. The staff truly goes out of their way to please and grant your every wish, and not just because they have to – they WANT to. It is evident that they enjoy their work, as we witnessed staff providing service to some rude, demanding guests (you know the type), compounded by a language barrier, with a smile, patience, and politeness. And if they couldn’t help, they would find someone who could. Our treatment was always high level, no matter whom we dealt with.

I’m also happy to report that we saw some improvements since our last visit. For instance, the spa got a makeover, and is beautiful, clean and inviting. If you can, take advantage of it - my massage was amazing!

The food was also noticeably tastier, thanks to a new and talented Executive chef. When asked, the dining room staff will accommodate your food preferences, if at all possible. After just one such request, we never had to repeat ourselves – they got it right the first time! One of the restaurant chefs ran to his HOME to get us a particular ingredient that wasn’t on hand at the restaurant. We were surprised and touched; and he was happy to do it. I don’t think we’ve ever encountered that level of service anywhere!

The pool and beach areas have plenty of lounges, and we never saw guests wandering around trying to get a spot. They are now making guests account for their towel usage, and while annoying, is understandable (and you know why!). I also wish the pool was heated – maybe that’s a suggestion we can bring before our next visit.

There were a few minor room complaints that we encountered, but that could be because prior guests did not notice or report them. Any issue that we brought up was taken care of quickly and we were never inconvenienced when doing so. Kudos to the butlers for that, as they are the first line of defense for any problem.

I do, however, have a complaint that the resort probably has no control of, and that is the reservation requirements for the restaurants. You have to know in advance where you think you’d want to eat on any given night, and you need to know this at the beginning of your stay. If you decide at the last minute that you want to change a selection, it is practically impossible to get the restaurant you want.
We’ve also heard grumblings about Wi-Fi not being available throughout the resort - but to us, that’s a minor inconvenience.

We have occasionally left some resorts with sentimental feelings, and this was one of them. Over time, we have come to realize that the reason some resorts stand out while others do not is the relationships developed with the staff during the stay. This stems from the genuine warmth and helpfulness of staff in striving to make your stay as enjoyable, satisfying, and stress free as possible. The credit for the overall experience has to go to the management team for their support and commitment to superior guest services.

Room Tip: ALL the regular rooms are good becuase they're all the same.
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for posting a review about your recent stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for your loyalty when choosing our hotel as your holiday’s destination.
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we want to express how motivated we pleased we are when reading your positive valuation about the service provided by our staff at the different areas of our premises, the improvement in our gastronomy and the refurbishment of our spa. This certainly motivates our entire team to keep ensuring memorable holidays to our valuable costumers as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We are waiting for your return; please do not forget to contact us before your arrival.
Yours Sincerely,

Been to Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel? Share your experiences!