“Can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Maywood, New Jersey
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having traveled the Caribbean for decades my standards are pretty high. The Iberostar Grand well excceeded my expectations. When my friends & I stay at all-inclusives there are always pros & cons but in general, all-inclusives are usually mediocre. This hotel is exceptional- from the grounds, to the rooms, to the food, to the beach & pool and especially the staff. The pictures of the hotel, food, pool & beach speak for themselves. Aside from everything being top notch, the staff is what really makes this hotel expectional. They go out of their way to cater to you, and even with the (sometimes) language barrier they couldn't be friendlier! And they're quite funny too.
Victor mans the lobby bar, Julio & Lely (amongst others) are at the pool bar. Bienvenido, Elias, Boom Boom, Leticia & Maria handle the activities. Erick, Samuel, Raphael, Rosy & Marjory never leave you thirsty. Rigoberto is your man if you're interested in buying a condo or villa (they're expanding!) and Augusto mans the beach. Not to be forgotten are the "butlers" as they're called. Alexander, Jason, Andruly, Juan Carlos & Nelson will handle any & everything for you from reservations to boarding passes to straightening out a mix up on a snorkeling tour that I booked. Truly a five star staff.
My Friends and I loved it so much we can't wait to go back. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, Hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays and for taking time to post a review about your experience.
We thank you for highlighting out the friendliness and excellent personalized service provided by our staff and our exquisite international cuisine. In Iberostar both are part of our guiding principles and the key of our success worldwide. We have congratulated Julio, Lely, Augusto, Erick, Samuel, Raphael, Rosy, Marjory, Bienvenido, Elias, Boom Boom, Leticia, Maria, Alexander, Jason, Andruly, Juan Carlos and Nelson for making you feel as a “Star”.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for any assistance prior your next visit.
Best regards,

3,838 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,014)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Checotah, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We recently returned for our second visit to Dominca. As usual, the visual candy of DR is beyond compare. The clean sandy beaches. The friendly people. The beautiful weather. Staying at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro is, without a doubt, a first class experience. From the moment we arrived until the time came to leave, we were treated like royalty. We travelled with another couple and just had the best time. Our butler was Luis, who tended to our every need. We had an Oceanside room which was so luxurious and conveniently located. As with all all-inclusives, there was a buffet for breakfast and lunch. However, I don't prefer buffets, but this was nothing like I have ever seen. Lobster and ribeyes grilled to order for lunch? You must be joking but, ah, it is the truth. Actually, every restaurant had outstanding food and service. Really can't say enough about the food. The spa was so nice and accommodating as well. We all had such a great time on the beach and on the resort. Actually, we did not ever leave the resort except to go back to airport after 7 days!! Going to rebook ASAP for next year. Trying to think of one complaint... Only one would be that the vanity area in the bathroom was a little small for my husband and I, so if that's the only complaint, I think that's remarkable!! Heaven on earth! Kudos to Lisette, Eudaisey, Luis, Victor, Rafael,Miguelito and many many more who made our stay memorable!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your second visit to Punta Cana and for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community.
In the name of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, hotel Manager, we would like to express you our satisfaction to acknowledge that from the first moment you came into our hotel you felt as a “Star” or as you stated in the review “like royalty”. That is our goal in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. We have congratulated Luis, Lisette, Eudaisey, Victor, Rafael and Miguelito whose service made a difference during your stay.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Best regards,
Lombard, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel was amazing! From the time you get there until the time you leave, the staff is at your service. They are extremely attentive and are very friendly. The hotel is peaceful and the beach/pool areas are very clean. There is always food/drink available. To top it all off, there is a butler available whenever you need to help take care of any extra luxuries you may desire. This hotel blew away both of our expectations, and they were high. :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear guests,
In the name of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, hotel Manager, we would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon. Congratulations for this step in your lives and we wish you well.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that this such as especial occasion was memorable due to the friendliness of our staff and their excellent service. In Iberostar we want our beloved guests to “enjoy being a Star” as you felt from the first moment you came into our grounds.
We are looking forward to welcome you again and celebrate your first wedding anniversary. We remain at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit.
With the best regards,
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Not sure what to say that hasn’t been mentioned a thousand times over already. This place is awesome in large part because of the staff. I wanted to mention them by name, but feared I would leave someone out. So, to all the Star Friends, food preparers and service staff- thanks for making our vacation the best we have ever experienced!

Most of the Star Friends knew my name by the second day, and those who didn’t know our names still recognized our faces and always had a friendly word. The same can be said about the staff working the buffet and the servers on the beach. I am not sure of her official title, but even the head chef / food operations supervisor took time out to say hello and ask us how everything was almost every day.

The food and drinks were much better than we expected. The variety and quality of items available was excellent. We enjoyed everything including our meals at the Italian, Japanese and Surf and Turf ala carte restaurants. We emailed ahead for reservations, and they were confirmed when we arrived. We were even able to change one of our reservations to dine with another couple we met while we were there.

Our room was very nice. It was on the second floor looking across the resort towards the ship and the restaurants. The only negative was the people above us. Someone up there was non-stop motion and they walked with the heaviest feet. My wife and I laughed because we couldn’t figure out where they were walking as the rooms are not that large. Fortunately, they didn’t keep us up at night and by the time they were up and moving, we were ready to get up ourselves. The bed and room temperature were extremely comfortable and the room was always clean.

I would say the front desk could use a little improvement. It wasn’t that the staff was unfriendly; they just seemed to not be as welcoming as others at the resort. Maybe it is because they deal with the majority of complaints. Ours was that our room was not ready when we checked-in at 5:00 PM. After travelling all day, you really don’t want to have to wait for your room to be ready, especially when you are checking-in at the appropriate time. We ended up having to wait about 15-20 minutes; not terrible, but again, not expected based on our arrival time. We were also hoping they would’ve done something to acknowledge our wedding anniversary and birthdays, all of which were being celebrated while we were there. I had alerted them to this via email prior to our arrival, but nothing was offered.

When we return to Punta Cana, we would love to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays and for writing a review about your experience with us.
It is motivating to acknowledge that you enjoyed a memorable holiday due to the friendliness of our staff and our varied gastronomy despite the delay upon your check in. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star” with the excellent service of our friendly staff.
On the other hand, we apologies for the breakdown in the service as related to the anniversary and birthday celebration. Though we are not sure which e-mail address you sent the request to, we will endeavor to ensure that incidents like these do not re-occur.
We hope to welcome you back again, please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
Yours sincerely,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband & I recently returned from a week at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro. I cannot say enough about how fantastic our stay was. We have been traveling the Caribbean for the last 15 years and have been to over 10 islands staying at both all-inclusive and not all inclusive resorts. The service was amazing. The staff extremely out-going and friendly. They are genuinely concerned about you, as their guests, having a great time. Upon arrival we were greeted with cool towels to refresh ourselves and escorted to the front desk to check in. Maria was fabulous with our check-in and Raphael was great with showing us to a changing room since we arrived earlier than our room was available and taking our luggage. We went to the pool area and were immediately welcomed by Rosy our cocktail waitress, she was very friendly and wanted to make sure we had exactly what we wanted. When our room was ready Miguel, our butler, showed us around and offered his assistance with anything we needed or requested. He took care of all of our dinner reservations right away and we requested champagne and beers in our room daily at 5:00p.m. Miguel was fantastic. The entertainment staff is remarkable, always friendly and smiling taking time to chat with the guests and invite them to play games, see shows, etc...Boom Boom and Margarita are spectacular. The bartenders and wait staff at the pool are amazing. Julio Cesar, Rosy, Dionis, and Maria are the best!!! Dionis was always smiling all day long walking the beach and pool area delivering drinks with a smile. Julio Cesar makes great shots and Maria was spectacular with drinks and her kindness....they made our stay memorable. The waiters and waitresses at lunch and dinner were awesome, Kennedy, Ortiz, and Lissette were phenomenal....always helpful and willing to get us whatever we needed, they really went out of their way to make sure we were happy with what we were drinking and eating. The chefs Altagracia, Tito, and Ian were marvelous. Altagracia was always smiling and was very sweet serving fruit kebobs on the beach. Tito makes the best shrimp pizza and Ian did an amazing job with the grilled lobster, steaks, and prime rib. I cannot say enough about the quality of seafood. I am from Boston so I am accustomed to great seafood. The seafood here was good quality and fresh, I cannot say this about most all-inclusive resorts. We had an abundance of seafood everyday for lunch and dinner, lobster, crab, mussels, crab legs, shrimp, salmon, etc... We ate at the buffet most nights and were happy. We had dinner at the Japanese restaurant twice and loved it, they do a great job as well. The drink selection is great, most bottled beers are available (Stella Artois, Budweiser, Corona, Presidente, Brahma) along with top shelf alcohol as well. The grounds are meticulously well kept, the rooms are very clean, and the service is amazing. The beach is beautiful, we spent most of our days on the beach and packed it up late afternoon to the pool area and pool bar. We had a great time and plan to return in September. I would and have recommended this resort to many already. I am sure there are names of staff that took care of us and I apologize for not remembering all the names but all of the staff is incredible!!! We cannot wait to come back.

Dear guest,
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we thank you for posting a review about your experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We are much honored and motivated to acknowledge that the excellent service provided by our friendly staff not only ensured you a memorable holiday but also surpassed your expectations after travelling to many destinations worldwide. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star” as María, Rafael, Rosy, Dionis, María, Julio César, Kennedy, Ortiz, Lissette, Miguel, your butler, Boom Boom, Margarita, Altagracia, Tito and Ian, made you feel during your visit.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please feel free to contact us prior your next visit.
With kindest regards,
Munger, MI, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I just came back from this resort and we can't wait to go back again. This was his first time visiting a tropical location and my second. The entire staff was friendly and wanting to help you out in any way possible. The food was absolutely fantastic and the drinks were endless! We never had an issue finding a place to sit by the pool, but if you want a canopy you better get to the pool area early. We preferred being in the sun, so that wasn't a problem for us and when we wanted some shade we just went to the beach. Plenty of little cabanas at the beach for finding shade. The beach itself is gorgeous and well maintained. The resort is clean and well kept. I have never been to a hotel where I could say that the bed was comfortable, but these were. We didn't stay in the expensive rooms as we didn't plan on being in the room for much other than sleeping, but even the junior suites are nice rooms with a balcony which is great for evening sitting. The first night we were there we came back after dinner and our butler had prepared a bath for us, which included rose petals and a bottle of champagne. My husband told him we were there for our 10 year wedding anniversary and so that was what he did for us. It was fantastic! The best part of our trip were the people we met, especially some of the employees. I have to say that the Star Friends group was amazing at making us feel welcome and having fun. Especially Romel, Maria, and Elias! These three people made our trip truly special. Then there is my husbands favorite bartender Adalberto (sorry if the spelling is wrong) He kept our drinks full the whole time and had fun doing it. Like I said before, we can't wait until we can come back!

Dear guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bávaro as your holiday’s destination. In the name of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, Hotel Manager, we also thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
We are very satisfied to read that our international exquisite cuisine, the beauty and cleanness of our grounds, and the excellent service provided by our friendly staff members ensured you a memorable holiday. In Iberostar Grand Collection we are committed to provide the best personalized service to our beloved guests as Adalberto, Rommel, Maria and Elias did during your stay and for which we have congratulated them.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us before your arrival,
Yours sincerely,
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I wish I could say everything was perfect, because this hotel is really exceptional. Trying to find right words to describe, but can’t…interesting design, fabulous landscaping, great location…no…not even close. You have to see it to understand why so many people are excited about this place.

Beauty here is everywhere, in EVERY small detail, nothing left out. First day I couldn’t even take my eyes off this amazing castle. Especially at night when illumination is on and everything looks magic. I walked around again and again and just enjoyed, because at that moment I had everything I wanted, needed, dreamed (for my vacation) and even beyond. Can’t say this place is too fancy, rather simple…but you see it and clearly understand this is how elegance, refinement, style, taste, class, luxury looks like.

Do not want to repeat everything that is good about this hotel, read reviews – everything is very true (great beach, comfortable room, good a la carte restaurants, interesting night shows, etc) .

I just want to mention a few things that were not so good and hope management take care of these to make my next stay (definitely will stay here again) really perfect :

1) Very limited choice of TV channels comparing to the cheaper “next door” Iberostar hotels. Many channels are for additional pay only, at the same time these channels are free at the cheaper hotels. Do not understand why.

2) Housekeeping.
Often very late (close to afternoon). Maids are not too shy and do not mind to check your belongings. They can easily decide for you what you need and what you don’t – few times they threw out food that I left to eat later.

3) Buffet – the weakest spot
a) hygiene concern:
I always ate inside, every time at the same table. Was surprised when discovered that a table linen was not changed after meal. ..it was not changed next day and next…I’m very patient, but when on 5th (!!!) day I saw same table linen at my table I decided to ask a waitress - “how often do you change tablecloth?” She was confused and answered – “every day outside…but inside…I do not know” Huh??? How is it possible???
Few times I ate at Iberostar Bavaro and saw that table linens are changed not even every day, but after every meal!

One day , when I was sitting at my table eating my breakfast I saw that waitress who was serving tables for lunch dropped a few forks on the floor. Do you think she put them off? Nope. She picked them up, dropped again, picked up and put on the table that was ready for lunch. I looked at her with “question mark” in my eyes, but she didn’t get my look at all, she just smiled and continued serving other tables with dirty forks. It means that she doesn’t even know that it’s unacceptable.

b) Limited food choices
As I said I had a few meals at Iberostar Bavaro and was surprised by assortment of food offered here! More different fruits (some were never offered at Grand at all), at least 2 times more desserts, 6 different flavors of ice cream, cheese – the whole display, different kinds…and much more…Still do not understand why it is so…

c) Buffet Staff – unprofessional , poor training
Waitresses have problems with understanding other languages – that’s OK. But absolutely not OK that they do not understand silent language of silverware. Few times I had to leave my table to get something in the kitchen, leaving silverware in the position “meal is not finished”, but every time I found my table cleaned and I had to start making my plate again.
All waitresses must know at least basic table etiquette.

At the lunch time buffet was almost empty – about 3-5 people inside, at the same time 5-7 waitresses were here, but even so – It was not easy to get some water or coffee. It was rarely offered; I had to ask someone to bring it to my table. Waitresses were talking, laughing all together at one place and looked very disappointed when I interrupted them asking to bring me something. And even I got an answer – “yes, right away”, I had to wait for a long time. Few times I didn’t get what I asked at all. To my question - why – received an answer – “sorry, we didn’t hear you asked about that”. Too bad.
Looks like they are a little spoiled by tips and do not want to do much without it. They are not respectful at all (sorry, but I understand some Spanish).
Get less personal, but with better training and attitude.

As an example of good work I can mention my butler Justo. He helped me first and last day – not much, but enough to say – he is really professional, not too sweet, not too cold, just right – respectful and polite.

But even so– I enjoyed every single day here. The beauty this hotel offers covers many deficiencies. But to keep it as 5 stars hotel some changes and improvements must be made. Do not let this amazing place to slip into something ordinary.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays and for posting a feedback about your experience at our hotel on Tripadvisor.
In the name of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, Hotel Manager, and the whole team, we want to express you how satisfied we are to read that your experience was memorable despite the issues you have pointed out in your publication. In Iberostar we want our beloved guest to enjoy “being a Star” during their holiday as the way Just your butler made you feel. We appreciate your motivating lines referring the excellent work made by our maintenance, housekeeping crew and gardeners.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for all and any inconveniences you might have experienced and we have taken good notes to evaluate our performance and deliver the level of service expected by our valuable costumers. Your feedback has been forwarded to the corresponding departmental heads.
We would like to clarify though that food and open beverages left in the room are removed when cleaning for hygienically reason unless our valuable costumers clearly signaled by a written note or verbally with the maid and/or the personal butler.
We look forward to welcoming you once again and please feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,

Been to Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel? Share your experiences!