“Nice hotel but not "Grand" enough” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Canada
“Nice hotel but not "Grand" enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

When I book at a property that advertises itself as the best, and most luxurious property in the area, I expect to get what they advertise, especially for what they charge. I realize that this is the Caribbean and not the Ritz or the Fairmont. My comments and comparisons are all based on previous stays at another Iberostar Grand Hotel. Therefore, Iberostar themselves set the bar that this hotel is not meeting.

I am currently staying at the Grand Bavaro the Dominican Republic. I travel often and have been a guest at many other Iberostar properties. Iberostar is our preferred hotel chain while travelling to the south. We have stayed at mid-range (in Mexico and Cuba) and high range properties, including the Grand Paraiso in the Mayan Riviera. The Grand Bavaro is advertised and sold as being of the same class as the Grand Paraiso in Mexico. I can tell you that the property is beautiful and the grounds are well taken care of, however the food quality and the level of service is well below what is advertised or what can be expected for an Iberostar "Grand" branded property. These, and the issues I will be describing below certainly do not justify the cost.

Restaurants:
There are many issues with the
food quality: The beef/veal is usually very tough to the point it is not edible. This was seen in both the Surf and Turf à-la-carte and in the buffet. In the Italian à-la-carte I was severed an obviously very burnt appetizer.
After these and other issues, we decided to try the buffet. My partner decided to keep it simple and picked a hamburger for dinner. The partially cooked patties were on display in a non-refrigerated display for people to select. Upon selecting the burger the staff member took the patty and finished preparing the burger. However, when my partner took a bite of his burger, the patty was still very raw (blue rare) and cold rather then being well done as requested. Neither the burger nor the bacon on it was cooked. Not wanting to get sick by eating an undercooked and non-refrigerated burger he decided to try something else. The freshly grilled chicken breast he was served was also completely raw on the inside. One night I became ill immediately after eating dinner. Having a medical background and as I do not drink alcohol I am sure this was a result of the food.
While overall the property can use help with the food overall, I would like to say that they got it right on the “The Oriental night” in the buffet. The food on that night was very good served steaming hot and was delicious.

Service:
The service is also very poor by “Grand” or any other standards. When asking for the wine list in the à-la-carte restaurants the staff seem to be very put out. Often they come back and tell you that the wine that you asked for is not available. However, it often appeared elsewhere for other guest. It quickly became clear that if you didn't give large tips you didn't get good service or any service in some case. This does not apply to all staff, as some were very good. We found that the female staff members were much better, friendlier, and better trained on how to properly serve guests. For example, we had some staff reach in front of us to serve the person beside us rather then walk around to the side of that person or remove plates from people who where obviously still eating.

On the beach the serving staff would walk by but never ask if we wanted anything and we watched them do the same to other people. If people did flag them down and place an order they were very lucky to get it. We found many people talking about this issue. Also, beach staff would actually stop and stare at female guest on the beach to the point that it was uncomfortable. They would go out of their way to serve them while ignoring other male or older guest.

Rooms:
The rooms are much smaller than the Grand Paraiso but still very nice. I do have to say that this is the first room that I have been to in a tropical country where the air conditioning really works well. The hot tub in the room was in a great need of cleaning and servicing. A large amount of black residue/chunks came out of the jets upon filling it with water and engaging the pump. A second attempt to use the tub resulted in the same results making the tub disgustingly dirty.
We have had ongoing issues with items such as room and beach towels, thermal mugs, a TV remote and assorted glasses/cups that were taken from the room and not returned by the cleaning staff. It has gotten to the point that every time we returned to the room we would play the “guess what is missing today” game. The running joke with us is that by the end of our stay, the bed to be missing and/or the entire room would be cleared out of furniture! The hotel states clearly (in the room information binder and in room cost list brochure) that guests will be charged for missing items if they decide to “take them home”. So far, nothing has come home with us (remember, we are still here), yet many things have disappeared. We also had to track down the staff to request that mini bar be restocked even though it is supposed to be restocked daily.

Pool/Beach:
The beach is beautiful with lots of places to relax. However, the hotel allows quests to have multiple towels, which is very nice, but results in people reserving multiple poolside and beachfront loungers. This makes it almost impossible to get a cabana around the pool if you need shade or want the more comfortable bed type seat. On one occasion we seen 5 of these “reserved” cabanas never touched the entire day and could have been used by other people. At times it is impossible to get a seat around the pool at all. At the Paraiso Grand, the staff would pick up towels that were left unattended for a period of time (yes, they actually kept track of the guests and interacted with them on a regular basis) and made these spots available for other guests who were actually using them.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view away from the disco (ship).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on “Trip Advisor” and for your loyalty towards Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection as your holiday’s destination.
We regret to read that our hotel premises, services and quality could not meet your expectations as an Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection regular visitor although the title of your review gives us some credit. We will forward the aforementioned comments to all relevant department heads as to ensure that service is up to Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection standards. I would like to extend apologies for any and all inconveniences that you experienced during your vacation here at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our Hotel. For the breakdown of services we will certainly take an objective approach to ascertain how best we can rectify these. Once this is done, we will do our best not to have a reoccurrence of the situations mentioned, for example the room cleaning service. Likewise, we apologize for the impression you might have gotten regarding tipping. We remind you though that tipping is always optional and completely your choice. We will be addressing this situation to ensure that our guests at no time feel pressured to tip. We would like to reassure you however that this is not a true depiction of our standards of operation here at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro.
Our team in Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso will be pleased to welcome you back. We remain at your entire disposition in case you decide to visit our hotel in the future.
Best regards,

3,666 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (969)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is our first stay with the Iberostar Resort chain and I was plesantly suprised. After a long day of travels the check-in process was easy. Our room was ready and our butler greeted us just after we had setteled in the room. Gomez was knowledgable, friendly and made all of our weeks dinner reservations for us. He quickly explained features of the room and what light switch controlled which item. The wifi in the room was nice and worked well. The mini bar has a good selection and was always stocked. Room service wait was quick. Maid service always created new towel art each day and room cleanliness was great.
This resort had the best food selection and quailty I have experienced. The dinner reservations are a hassel, but it seems to help get your food quicker. There was only 5-6 couples eating in each specialty restraunt each night. Lunch selection and waiter service was the best. I enjoyed all of the bartenders equally. The bar staff was top shelf and almost seemed to anticipate my needs.
There was a couple small touches that I noticed that seemed to stand out. The young lady that served drinks and pushed a cigar cart in the evenings was a nice touch. A dedicated cigar bar with a decent selection of smokes also impressed me.
We visited the gym a couple times in the morning and I was surprised with the quality and selection of equipment that was availible. The view from the gym was awesome. We also booked a trip to the spa. The spa lacked some ambiance and wasn't great. We had a couples hot stone message and express facial performed. The message felt nice, but the employees kept whispering to each other during the treatment. I felt like they were tallking about us the whole time. I had a pretty nasty sunburn on my forehead and after the facial it was almost gone! The quailty of the treatments impressed me, but the ambiance sucked.
Now the beach, which is why we went in the first place. The beach was soft, clean, and had comfortable chairs. The ocean was nice for swimming. The beach waiter service was the best I have ever had. I really liked this beach.

Overall I would recommend and also travel back to the Grand Bavaro in a heartbeat!
I am a beliver that this is the top resort in Punta cana.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro as the destination for your vacations also for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us.
We are much honored to read that our hotel premises, services and quality ensured you a pleasant stay and you consider us to be “the paradise” according to the title of your review. Thank you for highlighting out the excellent service that provides our staff in all areas of our hotel and the variety of our gastronomy in the nightly themed buffet, 24 hours room service and four a la carte restaurants. Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection is committed to provide the best personalized service to all our beloved guests. We will Gómez, your butler, for his remarkable work.
We extend our apologies for the spa ambiance. We have delivered your concern to the appropriated Manager to prevent this kind of uncomfortable situation in the future.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please contact us before your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Westlake, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I went to the Iberostar Grand Bavaro for our honeymoon the week of 10/27. We did quite a bit of research prior to booking at the Iberostar Grand. Since the trip was more expensive than some of the other options, I had pretty high expectations going into it. However, I must say that the extra $$$ was well worth it and I would have paid even more knowing what i know now. There is very little that I can say that hasn't already been mentioned in past reviews, but I'll give a quick summary.

The rooms are great. They are modern looking, comfortable and have everything you need. Remember, if you are doing it right, you are not going to spend too much time in your room anyhow. The butler service was great though we didn't utilize our butler (Mendy) for much of anything. He was always there when we needed him though, I thought he was awesome.

The food was great, particularly considering the fact it's an all-inclusive resort. This was my 4th all inclusive and I can't even start to explain how much better the food was at the Iberostar compared to the other resorts. The buffet was great, we actually skipped our restaurant reservations one night in favor of the buffet. As for the restaurants, we really liked the surf and turf and the Japanese. We didn't care for the Italian based on our preferences. We skipped the French restaurant based on feedback and our affinity for the buffet.

The drinks were great. Top shelf liquor was available in the lobby bar and also the bar on the ship. The pool bar had some good liquor but not all the same that is available in the lobby. Overall, no complaints whatsoever. Also, for beer drinkers, you can get bottled Budweiser and Corona from the lobby and ship bars, i thought this was pretty awesome.

Last, the service was INCREDIBLE. I was so impressed with the staff. They are beyond friendly and never seem bothered aside from the grump that works in the towel shed. We particularly loved Edwin, Boom Boom, Manuel and the lady who works the omelette station (such a happy face to see in the morning). We tipped pretty regularly and quite honestly I felt like we should have tipped even more. Yes, it's all inclusive and not mandatory to tip, but it's a 3rd world country and our tips go a long way for these guys who works 12 day rotations with only 2 days off in between. Thank you to everyone at the Iberostar for making our trip so memorable, we are already planning on going back next year.

Room Tip: Get a room facing inwards towards the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
First at all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro, and for having chosen our hotel for your honeymoon. In the name of the Hotel Manager, we would like to congratulate you for your wedding and to wish you the best for this new step in your lives.
It is a pleasure for the whole team to acknowledge that you had such as memorable experience in this special celebration due to their excellent service and the variety of our gastronomy. In Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro we aim to be the best place for honeymooners in Punta Cana. According to your review, we are doing nice steps in the right direction. We will congratulate Edwin, Ayendi, Manuel and Mendy for making your stay especial.
We will be glad to celebrate your first anniversary in our hotel; please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.
Kindest regards,
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Just returned from a week at this resort.

Pros: Excellent, friendly, helpful staff. Everywhere. Spotless. Food is just fine; not extraordinary, but fresh, ample, and a good variety. Very comfortable room and everything worked, including all plumbing, air/con, WiFi, etc., etc. Twice-daily maid service. Lovely spa and their services are excellent and reasonably priced. Grand reception area. Particularly, the chandeliers are very interesting, and the public areas are beautiful.

Cons: Somehow, too formal. The room decor could have been anywhere in the world, not (to my mind) a Caribbean ambience. Landscaping is lacking in riotous bougainvillea and hibiscus (more of the occasional formal placement of orchids) and there are almost no birds within this resort (it's sprayed regularly and I doubt that they have anything to eat). Long beach to walk on but it's crowded, full of people from adjacent Iberostar and Riu resorts. Ocean is lovely to look at but not great to swim in if the day is rough, and it tends to be windy in this part of Punta Cana. We listened to the same tape of Norah Jones and Carly Simon for 10 hours daily, seven days in a row, and this grew a bit tedious.

This resort is very well-maintained; the staff is excellent; I think they care greatly that the guests enjoy themselves. Safety, food quality, and cleanliness are well above-average. I would not use the words "intimate" or "charming" to describe this resort, despite its obviously high standards.

If you like all-inclusives, you will probably be very happy here. If you have never tried an all-inclusive, you will likely be delighted with this one as your first choice.

Dear guest,
Thank you for your loyalty towards Iberostar as your destination for your holidays, and for having taken time to post a review about your experience at our grounds.
Thank you for highlighting out the personal service and friendliness of our staff as well our outstanding cuisine and varied gastronomy. Those are very important aspects in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts, and it is the key to the success of our services and facilities.
In Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection we aim to ensure an ambiance of exclusivity and luxury to ensure relaxing stays to our “adult only” guests; we regret to read that our premises could not meet your expectations regarding a real Caribbean atmosphere.
We would feel honored welcoming you again in our establishment in case you decide to visit us again.
Kind regards,
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here 11/24 - 11/28. The staff was absolutely the highlight of the trip. In particualr Rosy, Jhoemmy & Erick made sure we were so well taken care of at the pool and beach! The only down side was the last day my boyfriend got very sick from something he ate at lunch which was the only meal I didn't eat with him. Other than that beautfulllll resort and amazing service.

Room Tip: Our room was very nice with a balcony but no view.
Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Management and the whole team, we thank you for taking time to post some comments about you stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for choosing our premises for your holidays.
We would like to express you how pleased that “the staff was absolutely the highlight of the trip” as you wrote in the publication. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a star” during holidays that is why every member of our team is engaged to provide the best service. We will congratulate Rossy, Joemi and Erick for being part of your happy stay.
We will be glad to welcome you back again, feel free to contact us to help you in your next visit.
With regards,
Glenn Dale, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

WOW! Some of the most friendly staff I have ever encountered. No bugs. Fantastic food. Atmosphere is very relaxing as there is no one under 18. All inclusive. Service was so great that I just had to tip a few at the end as these people work hard to please you. Common areas are not air conditioned, but the dining areas are. When breeze blows, it is very comfortable even with out the air conditioning. Drinks are flavorful, but I requested an extra shot every now and then. Best to stay on the resort or go out as a group and stay together as a group. There is alot of negotiating when shopping in the shacks a short walk down the beach. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Blow out the oil infuser and cover the oil with the drinking glass cover. I was not particularly fo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear guest TheodoreV,
Thank you for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro. In the name of the Hotel Manager, and the whole staff, we thank you also for choosing our hotel for your vacation.
We are very pleased to hear that you had experienced a wonderful holiday due the excellent service provided by our friendly staff in all areas of our grounds. The friendliness of staff is one of our main strengths in Iberostar Hotel and Resorts and we work with illusion to remain so.
We will be glad to welcome you back. We remain at your disposition for further assistance.
Best regards,
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay and overall were satisfied. We liked the setup of the hotel and rooms; it was overall very quiet, which we loved. There is an entry way into the room with a second door so you don't hear other people in the hallway or slamming their doors at night. A room facing the interior of the resort is a definite recommendation. In terms of location, don't be too disappointed if you're closer to the lobby since it's only a 2 minute walk from the "beach end" to the "lobby end" and elevators were always fast and easy to take.

The food (aside from breakfast) was our biggest disappointment. I admit we are used to very good food at home but I am comparing it to other Caribbean AI's, and here it was just okay. As well, my husband became severely sick after our second-last night, the first and only time we ate at the buffet for dinner. We always used hand sanitizer before eating and he barely drinks any alcohol so we are certain that it was something he ate, difficult to say what since he had so many different items. The two staff members we informed simply shrugged it off and didn't have anything to say. I wish the resort had more hand sanitizer available to guests as they do at other resorts. There was only one at the side of the main buffet entrance and I never saw anyone use it. I also wish they had more fly traps around the outdoor buffet to prevent them from landing all over the food. (They do cover the seafood with plastic lids). We tried each of the a la carte restos and they were all fine.

The drinks at the resort were fantastic. Real bananas and juice used in mixed drinks, top shelf liquor available. The included wine list was important to me, and I always had to refuse their house and insist on seeing the included list, of which not all options were available. This seemed to get better towards the end of the trip, so perhaps they had received a new shipment? Drink service around the pool and beach was excellent.

Towels were readily available and easy to exchange for new ones, and the sunscreen at the towel hut was great - all levels of hawaiian tropic available. The towel game was in full-effect and you had to be up by 6:30 to get a bed in the shade or front row at the beach. Otherwise, there were always places available in full sun or towards the back of the beach.

Service was always good, star friends (shout out to Maria) were full of energy and made you smile and our butler always seemed available. The activities were abundant and we enjoyed the well-kept clay tennis courts and 3 available pool tables (need some new cues as many were warped!) Housekeeping was good - only once were they very late cleaning our room.

Despite the food issues, we enjoyed the layout, service and ambiance of the resort so much that we would still return.

Room Tip: Interior facing, top floor rooms will all have some sort of view.
Dear guest,
On the behalf of Hotel Manager, we thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
On the one hand, we appreciate your positive valuation about the beauty and cleanness of our premises, our well stock bars, our varied gastronomy in the a la carte restaurants and breakfast buffet, and the service provided by our staff, especially by Maria at the Star Friends.
On the other hand, we want to apologize for the inconveniences that you might have encountered regarding the stomach issues. In Iberostar Hotels and Resort we take Hygiene and Cuisine seriously. We assure you that our department of Hygiene and Quality constantly check and control our sanitary measures, the instruments our cook use to prepare food and control food temperatures from all restaurants, buffets and snack bars. We also follow strict sanitary procedures and recommendations based on the Dominican Republic´s Regulations and by Saniconsult, our external Hygiene consulter. We work hard to prevent incidences related with food and HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points) procedures in order to reduce and or eliminate potential risks. We regret to hear that you left our premises with an opposite idea in mind. We are thankful for your suggestions in this matter and will be increasing our efforts to prevent potential risk. We reassure you though that during your visit, we had no other cases of this nature.
We are available for any further assistance that you may need, please feel free to contact us,
Sincerely yours,

Been to Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel? Share your experiences!