“Amazing hotel, only a few trouble” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Curitiba
“Amazing hotel, only a few trouble”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We have been received with humid hand towels and amazing drinks. Check in was fast, in about five minutes we´ve got our keys and bracelets. We received a very complete explanation about the whole complex. The butler followed us to our room and show us everything we needed to know and said he would be available for everything. We asked him to make our a la carte dinner reservations. Make a note that this reservations have to be booked at least 24 hours in advance. Here is a tip, as soon as you get the hotel, make all restaurants reservations. The stuff responsible for these reservations are very intransigents, in one restaurant the butler made a wrong number of people, it was for 4, and he ordered for 3, at the moment I knew I called the responsible to explain the butler´s mistake and she was so rude with me. She told me that it was gonna be impossible to add one more person, since the restaurant was full. I had to go to the lobby, very nervous, then they fixed the problem.
The room is excellent, quite spacious, clean and quiet. The bathroom very good also, with a pool and sea view jacuzzi. The only problem was the wireless, in my room (7393) wi fi wasn´t working, and the pool area and restaurants areas don´t have wi fi. I´ve seen many people complaining about that.
The a la cart restaurants are very good, the best is the Italian (eat the lobster lasagna), Japonese, Gourmet and the "less good" is the Surf and Turf. Buffet is regular, always serving the same food.
A very big inconvenient about the hotel are the pool chairs, as soon as you want to seat they are all busy (they told me that guest give some tips to the waiters to save the spaces, so I tried for two times to hold some chairs in the morning (it was early, like 9am) but they are all busy with towels inside them. The same thing happen in the beach chairs and umbrellas.
The team is very friendly, and they are expecting tips, so, if you give good tips you will be treated as a king.
Hotel always seems to be empty, and there´s no children running and screaming around the place, so is a very good place to relax.
Drinks are very good, but sometimes you order a drink and they say it finished. Always order a drink for the name, ex: Grey Goose instead of vodca.
There´s a nightclub and a casino in the complex, near Iberostar Dominicana. The nightclub is funny, good to dance some American and Caribbean musics. The casino is terrible, old, dirty, very small, and the croupiers are very impolite, rude, treating you as someone with is doing a favor for you. The worst casino I went in my whole life. Don´t correspond to the brand of the hotel.
Despite of some bad things I described here, I spent an amazing week in Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, and I strongly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro as your holiday’s destination and also for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us.
In the name of Hotel Manager and the entire team, we would like to express how thankful we are to read that our varied gastronomy, our beautiful premises and the excellent service provided by our staff in the different area ensured you “an amazing week” as you wrote at the end of your publication. In Iberostar we do our outmost best to ensure memorable stays to our “stars” on vacation. Likewise, we thank your feedback. Our departmental heads have taken good notes from your suggestions and we extend our apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced whiles your stay among us.
We are already waiting for your next visit, please contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Best regards,

3,722 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (982)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Staten Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Though I had returned on 11/15 from a 5-day vacation at the IB Grand Bavaro, the memories are still fresh in mind. I had previously been to this resort last year also at the same time (the week before Thanksgiving). Again, no long lines at either Newark or Punta Cana. I had emailed the resort 2 weeks prior to going requesting a room closest to the beach on either the 2nd, 3rd or 4th floor. They gave me room 7118 (2nd floor) which was perfect! I had also requested reservations for three of the ala carte restaurants for times between 7 and 9 and got them all at 8 p.m. Upon check-in I was delivered a nice refreshing towel and a nice refreshing glass of champagne (might as well start off the vacation the right way!). Unfortunately, my flight from Newark had been delayed 2-1/2 hours and I arrived hungry, tired and a little bit frazzled. No problem, I was whisked away to my room to freshen up and then go to the buffet that night. My room had a large bed (which I requested), a nice floral display with a note welcoming me back, and a bottle of champagne on ice. What a welcome! I was welcomed at the buffet by my server from last year, Kennedy, who remembered me and said he would be at the Japanese restaurant for the next few nights, but in the buffet in the morning. When I arrived for breakfast the next morning he remembered where I liked to sit (outside) and how I liked to have coffee and juice (fresh). It was like coming home. The food in the buffet for either breakfast or dinner is still good. There are no complaints in that department. I ate at the Japanese, Surf & Turf and the Gourmet and had great dinners and service at all three. Being from New York, these restaurants are as good as any I have eaten at. The evenings after dinner are quiet but you can go into the lobby bar area and listen to some music. There is also billiards, a sports bar with TV’s and a cigar bar. I did not go to the theatre at night, because I was so wiped out from lying on the beach all day (LOL). The beach was just as lovely as last year. There might have been more seaweed than usual due to a storm off-shore, but who cares. I did not have any problems getting a chaise with a cabana at the pool or under a palapa at the beach even after 9 a.m. The only small complaint is the towel card (paper). They should go back to the way it was. The weather overall was perfect, although it did rain a little at night. For returning guests there was a cocktail party on the boat which was lovely. They do this every 15 days so it might not be available when you are there. Call ahead and check. For being a returning guest I received two shirts which were really nice. A big thank you to the manager. The Star Friends as always are amazing with so much energy. A big Hola to Boom Boom who went on his 3 day leave the next day after the cocktail party. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the beach and pool facing the ship are the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear guests,
We thank you for your loyalty towards Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to post a review about your experiences among us.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, we would like to express you how satisfied we are to acknowledge that you had enjoyed another excellent stay from the moment you arrived once again to our premises. In Iberostar, as you are getting used to, our guiding principles are to provide a friendly and personal service, an outstanding and an exquisite gastronomy, and to provide the best care to our surrounding and beach. We will congratulate Kennedy and Ayendi (Boom Boom) for making especial your both stays.
We will be pleased to welcome you back, please contact us as soon as you book your next visit.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My parents needed a vacation and I searched every review board for all-inclusives in the Caribbean area with the best reviews, which lead me to the Iberostar Grand. My expectations were considerably let down.

Yes, the property is lovely, from the layout to the pools. And yes, the staff is all very friendly. That being said, we got rooms that overlooked the neighboring property so there was no view except a service road. The hotel echos like you would not believe.. I wouldn't count on sleeping in any day because you can hear every sound from above you, around you, and possibly below you. I couldn't sleep most nights which was a Huge problem because of noise from above me and then housekeeping shouting their conversations down the hall at each other.

For the activities, think of a glorified summer camp. They bug you all day at the pool trying to "sell" you into signing up and push after you say no. Once you sign up, it's just like they're camp counselors organizing kids games. I was excited that this resort listed archery as an option among other things but it turns out it's nothing more than a game.. they have ONE bow and you get only 3 arrows to try to compete against other guests. Plus they do it at the same time as the next door resort so if you're enjoying your "adults only" time, watch that disappear when you have bleacher seats (yes, bleachers! ugh) full of the other resorts kids yelling and booing. Definitely not for anyone with a genuine interest in the sport and gave me a very sour taste for their offered "activities."

Do not under-estimate all these reviews telling you what a pain in the behind it is to get reservations to eat. They will block you every way they can and try to tell you that your only option is the buffet, which was NOT good unless you watched them make your piece right in front of you.. otherwise it was all stale, cold, and gross. I tried calling weeks before we ever arrived to make reservations because of everything I read and could not reach anyone (aside from one lady who just yelled in Spanish and then when completely silent while I talked until I finally hung up from lack of response) and tried to do it on the website but that whole 'configure your stay' thing doesn't work at all. So we only managed to get to the surf & turf (good) and the Japanese (good).. the other option was restaurants next door where they drive you by golf cart, we tried the Mediterranean which was Terrible. Don't do it.

The beach was ok. It was nice and netted off but there was a lot of seaweed that you just could not escape. It was rather odd considering we walked down the beach across to the other resort lands and they completely clear, sand and water. Guess the Grand just got the bad spot on the coast.

The reason I give this 3 instead of 2 is because my parents just wanted to relax and they got to do that, so that was my goal. But quality-wise, I could have done WAY better for them.
If you're cool with getting up at 6-7am to towel-reserve a nice chair and lounge all day, and aren't particular about your food, then this place works. But if you're looking for things to keep your interest then you're going to be really bored/annoyed.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor so you don't listen to stomping around all day and night. And I'm...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We would like to express how sorry we are to hear that our services and facilities as well as our varied gastronomy did not meet you expectation nor ensured you a pleasant stay. In Iberostar we aim to ensure memorable holidays to our beloved “stars” on vacation.
Please, allow me to clarify our booking system: it is based on four restaurant sittings: at 18:30, 19:00, 20:00 and 21:00. If we reserve all the tables in 4 turns, we would have to force our guests to have dinner too fast, therefore not being able to enjoy a nice dinner. Booking every table in the 4 sittings also leads guests to wait for completion of previous guests enjoy their evening, which eventually causes a whole delayed reservation system and affected many guests. It is not our goal to impede the access to our specialty restaurants or to inflict inconveniences to our guests. We also remember our guests that our buffet is nightly themed and our guests have the privilege to reserve restaurants from the Iberostar Bavaro, Iberostar Dominicana and Iberostar Punta Cana.
On the other hand, we thank you for your suggestions and comments concerning the sunbeds reservation from guests, the butler service, the soundproofing of our rooms and the activities proposed by our Star Friend team. We have shared them with the corresponding departments to deliver the level of service expected by our guests.
We will be glad to welcome you back; we remain at your disposition for further assistance.
Kind regards,
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I went to the Iberostar Grand Bavaro for our honeymoon, and it was amazing! I would highly recommend this for any kind of vacation. Perfect for honeymoons, anniversaries or anything. The staff was superb, the food is great, and the hotel/pool at top notch. We had so much fun and I would go back in a heartbeat. I've never written a review of a hotel before, but felt it was necessary after spending a week at this hotel. The hotel is not over-crowded, which makes for a nice quiet day at the pool. The swim up bar is sweet and the fact that is all-inclusive makes it even better. We attended the hotel over veteran's day weekend in November and the weather was outstanding. It rained each day we were there, but it was always a quick shower that passed over and came at a perfect time (i.e. when we were heading in to the room to get ready for dinner, or late at night when we weren't outside anyways). We loved the pool area and spent most of our time there and relaxed in the cabanas they have available. It was never hard to find a location around the pool which was nice that you didn't have to wake up super early to snag a good spot. As far as food goes, I would recommend the restaurants over the buffet. The buffet is still very good, but the restaurant food quality is so much better. We attended the Japanese, Italian and Surf & Turf restaurants and loved them all. The staff in the buffet/restaurants was great. The staff all speaks English, so that was comforting. I know a few phrases and words in Spanish and they appreciate when you give their language a try, but it's no problem if you don't know a single word of Spanish. Room quality was great. We actually had an issue with the air conditioning in our room and they quickly resolved the issue and moved us to the room next door, which ended up being even nicer than the one we had. Overall, I give this hotel a 5 out of 5 and highly recommend it to anyone of my family or friends. You will not be disappointed if you go here, and like I said I've never written a review before but felt obligated to because it was so beautiful!

Dear Guests,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, and the whole staff, we would like to thank you for choosing out hotel premises to enjoy your honeymoon and for writing a comment about your experience on Tripadvisor. Once again congratulation for your wedding and we wish you a successful marriage!
We are very pleased to read acknowledge you and your wife had enjoyed an unforgettable experience in such as especial occasion. One of our goals as an Iberostar Grand Collection Hotel is to ensure exclusivity and calmness in “adult only” premises so our guests can enjoy a relaxed and pleasant stay. We appreciate your motivating words towards our staff members, about our wide gastronomy and about our beautiful grounds.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again and celebrate your first anniversary. Please contact us before your arrival.
Wonder Lake, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visited few resorts in the Caribbeans in last few years - Riu Palaces, Beaches, Paradiso, Omni, Barcello - to name a few. Iberostar Grand Bavaro makes all of them look not so good. Service, cleanliness, restaurants, food, room services, facilities, bathrooms, swimming pools and entertainment is just incredible. Our butler Kelvin would do everything for us and check with us every day if things are excellent because very good was not good enough. Stephani, Boom-Boom, Happy Feet, Nikki, Elias, and many others made every day and night be a pleasure and full enjoyment. The shows of Michel Jackson, Ladies First are a Vegas class shows. Very beautiful. Gardens spectacular. This is the only resourt that does NOT smell mold but beautiful aroma all over. And yes, they do serve Jack Daniels here. And no kids so pools are crystal clean. We go Caribbeans twice a year. In our opinion it is the best place we have visited so far and we are definitely going back here. We do not need to look any further. Once a year we will go here. Price is up there but well worth it. We had a better room and flew business class so it was some more then you could get for less. We just like it that way. Iberostar and all amployees cheers to you. You all rock!

Room Tip: We chose a 4th floor with garden view above the Galeon. Close to everything and view to die for. Num...
Dear guest,
First at all, we thank you for taking time to post some comments about your experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and also for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
In the name of the Hotel staff, we want to express you how honored we are that you had enjoyed an excellent holiday after knowing your large experience travelling all over the Caribbean. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”. Your comments will motivate Kelvin, your butler, Stephanie, Boom-Boom, Happy Feet, Nikki and Elias to keep our high standards and work with illusion to please all request and needs from our beloved guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel. Please feel free to contact us before.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. It was amazing. The customer service was over the top, everyone that worked there was very friendly. The resort itself was something out of a movie - totally surreal and beautiful. The beach was perfect, white sands and the water was a nice temperature. The restaurants were each really great in their own way - I suggest taking advantage of going to a different one each night as we did. If you tip the bartenders and/or your room service persons a few dollars here and there they will take extra care of you. The resort is always clean and spotless. There is even a pillow menu for those of you who are picky sleepers

Room Tip: Rooms with a garden view are cheaper and the way to go because the beach is so beautiful you do not...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest KatieS,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro to enjoy your honeymoon and for taking the time to write a review about your experience. We congratulate you once again for your wedding and we wish you well.
We want to express our satisfaction to hear that your honeymoon and stay was memorable thanks to the friendliness and excellent service provided by our staff members and the beauty, cleanness and maintenance of our hotel premises. In Iberostar we aim to ensure to our beloved guests a relaxing and clam stay, especially to our honeymooners.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and celebrate your first wedding anniversary; please feel free to contact us before your next visit.
Kindest regards,
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Went on a one week holiday over Thanksgiving. First off, the hotel and location are beautiful. The pool and beach are great and the rooms are quite nice. Our's faced the neigboring property (so not looking over the grounds of our resort or directly at the water) which is probably the worst view they have but you can still see the ocean and it's still not bad (you see the service road underneath your balcony if you look but you can also sit back and look at the jungle or ocean). The staff are very nice and very concerned with making sure you have a good stay. They have they typical activity staff who are enthusiastic but no too aggressive. The food is pretty good for an all inclusive. The buffet (we only ate buffet for lunch and breakfast) was pretty diverse and offered a lot of variety. We ate at each of the a la carte restaurants and were not disappointed. The surf and turf was the best. Followed by the French, Italian and Japanese. The Japanese wasn't bad but if you have a hibachi restaurant (think Benihana) in your town you've probably had as good or slightly better. The one criticism we had was that we tried to make reservations before we got there based on others suggestions here. We couldn't get through and were told to go through the website. The website didn't work after repeated attempts. Then, upon check-in we immediately went to the concierge to book for the week and were told that the first night we could only get a 6:30 reservation and that the surf and turf and french were booked. We noticed that the resort was not full at all and our restaurant the first night was 1/4 full. We looked back at the other seating times and none of them were full either. We checked back the next day with another concierge and were told they would have no problem getting us into the two restaurants at the times we wanted. Very strange and somewhat annoying. Also, people here have mentioned the "butler" but we only saw him the first day and never again. We had also asked him for a personal request that was somewhat difficult --we needed a pair of clip on sunglasses and they didn't sell them at the resort so we asked if knew of anywhere in town that someone on staff could pick up a pair and were willing to pay for the trouble. No problem that they couldn't help us but he never came back to us to tell us that or that he'd even tried. Also, as for the "town" don't plan on leaving the resort. There is no safe town anywhere near-- which is why we didn't feel comfortable venturing out on our own. OK, This is getting long let me summarize:

Hotel: Beautiful-- not perfect (think great marble installed by mediocre craftsman)
Rooms were spacious with jacuzzi tubs, balconies, large showers and a desk and lounge chair. Always kept very clean.
Staff: VERY friendly. Really made you feel welcome.
Food: Good. They aren't going to get an Michelin stars but for an all-inclusive it was great. Also, they have a few premium liquors that are included (Glen Fiddich, Beefeater, Grey Goose), which was impressive.
Beach: Good. Lots of shelters (palm covered umbrella tables) but you have to get out before 8:30 to be sure you get one. I'm actually against people "saving" chairs with towels but it seemed to be a very popular practice so forces everyone to do the same. If management could come up with a policy that discouraged this I think it would work out so that there was a decent turn-over in shelters as people, ate, napped, etc.
Pool: Beautiful. Lots of space and lots of chairs. Many cabanas but same issue with them being saved. Nice swim up bar that was mostly shaded.. A few large hot tubs and one activity pool that was only used when staff set up games. Also, being an ADULT ONLY resort, it was very peaceful.

I would highly recommend this place and plan on returning.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking property. Note that your bathroom has a window to your balcony so the down...
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bávaro to enjoy your holidays and for taking time to post a review about your vacations among us.
We would like to express how satisfied we are to heat that our varied gastronomy and well stock bars, the service provided by our staff members and our entertainment ensured you a pleasant stay. In Iberostar we are committed to ensure memorable holidays with the excellent service of our friendly staff.
On the other hand, we thank you for your suggestions and comments concerning our a la carte restaurants reservation system, the sunbeds reservation from guests and the butler service. We have shared them with the corresponding departments to deliver the level of service expected by our guests.
Kind regards,

Been to Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel? Share your experiences!