“saved my marriage, and vacation. thanks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Atlanta, Georgia
“saved my marriage, and vacation. thanks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have no complaints, we stayed 3 nights after starting at a far inferior resort and were able to move here. The occidental punta cana is where we started and were ready to cut our losses until our local delta vacation rep Pedro worked his magic and had us transfered. Cost a little more but who cares when the end result was paradise.

From the landscapers to the head of entertainment everybody was polite ready to help and extrememly attentive, or non-intrusive depending on your wants.

Food was top notch, seems strange but the best food we had was a chicken club thru room service.

It did not matter to us but the night life is non existant. But you can taxi to the clubs if you need to. The shows left alot to desire, but it is a vacation resort and not the fox theater.

We are 31 married 10 years and have 2 kids. We will definately go back.

Room Tip: Anything in this resort should be perfect
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear guest ZachT,
We thank you for posting a review about your stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bávaro.
We want to express how satisfied we are to know that you enjoyed an unforgettable experience during your three days visit to our premises. We are much honored to read that our facilities, our varied gastronomy and the service provided by our staff left a remarkable impression to you and your wife. In Iberostar we are committed to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please contact us before your arrival.

3,655 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I just returned from 6 nights at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel in Punta Cana.  This was our first vacation in 3 years so we had high expectations.  I am very picky about food quality and room cleanliness, so I chose this hotel carefully after much research on this website. There were some misses, but overall, the Grand hit the mark.  We are in our mid-40's and were looking primarily for rest and relaxation, as well as some low key activities.  We booked the hotel through Expedia and used frequent flyer miles for air travel.

At first we were afraid we had made a big mistake, as the hotel was very quiet (practically deserted) when we arrived and they seemed to be doing a lot of maintenance, which is probably typical in the off season.  Check in wasn't great (slow despite how quiet it was, also poor English and minimal info about the hotel was given).  Also, our first meal was the lunch buffet, which had been sitting for several hours and was marginal at best.  However, the food improved substantially after that and the hotel filled up quickly the next day (a lot of Sunday arrivals).  They do greet you with a cold towel and drink, which was very nice and the property is beautiful and large.

ROOMS- We decided to splurge on an "ocean front" room and were very happy with this decision as we had a very nice balcony with chaise lounges.   The other rooms have balconies with table and chairs (which we had too), but there is no room for lounge chairs.  This also places you very close to the pool, which was very convenient.  If this is not in your budget then you will still do just fine if you request a pool view or at the very least a room facing the interior of the property.  You don't want a room facing the exterior as the view is of one of the sister properties, which is much less attractive.  There were a few problems with our room upon arrival (small pieces of broken glass on shelf by mini fridge and lipstick stain in closet), but they were quickly remedied when we told our butler.  Otherwise, the room was clean, very  nicely decorated and a comfortable size.   There were a few annoying things, such as poor lighting in bathroom and closet doors that are inconvenient, but certainly nothing to cause you not to want to stay here.  If you do splurge on an "ocean front", ask for one on the corner facing the pool as well.  Also be aware that you are not right on the ocean, as the hotel is set pretty far back.  Also, the lower level floors, even though ocean front, give very little ocean view.  We were lucky to be on the 3rd floor.  We did have frequent problems with the Internet in our room and had to get a new router.  This helped but did not completely cure the problem.  The Internet room near the lobby did work great though, for my husband who had to work at times.  Room amenities were great - dental kit, sewing kit, vanity kit and more.  Mini bar was convenient and all included.

FOOD & DRINK - The food was a bit hit or miss at times, but due to the all inclusive nature and the expansive variety of the buffets, overall we found the food to be very good..  The dining staff is very accommodating if you have a special request or if you don't like what you order.  Be aware that you should try to make reservations at the a la carte restaurants before you arrive.  This was our biggest pet peeve.  And even in the off season, the restaurants book up very quickly.  The buffet is fabulous though, with some great shellfish and endless cheeses and desserts.  In fact, on our last night we opted to go there again instead of the French restaurant.  We would rate the Surf & Turf as the best of the a la carte restaurants.  Do realize that there is not much choice on the included wines, but you can upgrade if you choose ( we didn't and were fine with the all inclusives).  The frozen concoctions at the bars were delicious and the bar staff was very accommodating. My only complaint is that the didn't have Chambord for French Martinis!

ACTIVITIES- We were pleasantly surprised by the variety of activities and especially the Star Friends staff who encourage you to participate but in no way pressure you.  These guys really made our stay memorable - lots of laughs too!  When you check in be sure to get a list of the daily activities - we sort of stumbled upon it and it would have been nice to have at the start.  If you don't get it, go to the info center near the shops and ask for one.  We enjoyed friendly competitions of archery, air gun and bingo, as well as dance lessons, a Spanish lesson, ping pong, pool games and free 10 minute massages at the yoga palapa.  They also have billiards, a cigar bar, darts, and more.

GOLF- My husband played a round of golf with rented clubs ($65) and really enjoyed it.  Cart, green fees, beverages on the course were all included.  He had no problem getting a tee time, though off season.  He says it was a pretty course with some challenging holes and was well maintained.

EXCURSIONS- Excursions for purchase were available, but we did not partake.  They included zip line, snorkel, horseback riding on beach and many other.  Just be sure to ask how long the ride is to get there and how much physical exertion is involved (heard there was a steep climb to the zip line) .   There are also snorkel and scuba trips available through Dressel Divers on the beach right in front of the hotel.

NIGHT - At night we enjoyed the lobby bar, with piano and other music, dancing, as well as karaoke one night at the ship bar.  We went to one of the shows which had singing and dancing and it was very enjoyable.  The talent, especially the singing, was much better than we expected.  Mostly, we enjoyed relaxing and chatting with new friends that we met at the pool during the day.

GYM- The gym was very important to us and we weren't sure what to expect based on minimal info from the hotel website.  It actually was pretty decent with 3 treadmills, 2-3 ellipticals, 3 bikes, weight machines and free weights.  It isn't huge, and doesn't have an attendant and headphones, but it has towels, a water dispenser and is enough to get a full body workout and feel justified about all the food and drinks!  I would have liked a Swiss ball or bosu ball, but made do without.

POOL- this is one of the reasons I picked this place and it did not disappoint - great pools and swim up bar.  Whirlpools and activities pool too.  Pool amenities included free suntan lotion, towels, floats and a small collection of books.

CABANAS- there are a lot of these and there is no extra charge, but you do need to get up early to claim yours with a towel.  I would suggest 7am for a decent one.  Just set your alarm and then go back to bed!  The cabanas were very comfortable and even if you leave your stuff there for a few hours to eat, walk the beach, do activities, etc., nobody bothered your stuff.  I felt extremely safe throughout the property and had no concerns about theft.  But, do use your safe for valuables, of course.

BEACH- I am more of a pool person, but the beach was very nice.  Plenty of chairs and palapas, soft, clean, white sand and turquoise waters.  Surf not too rough.  Beach is private too, so nice to keep rif raf out.

OTHER- There is a convenience/ gift shop on the premises which had a good selection of items at reasonable prices, including over the counter medicines.  There is also a doctor at the sister property if necessary.

We took a taxi to the hotel when we arrived ( $38 plus tip).  We booked a shuttle bus back for our departure for only $13 per person, so that saved a few bucks.

I suggest bringing a lot of US single $'s for tips.  Although not required, we felt good about tipping the folks who made a difference.  Also, FYI, you really don't need any Dominican currency if you stay at the hotel the whole time.  The airport accepts all US $'s as does the taxi and hotel gift shop.

I must express our appreciation to the following workers who went out of their way to make our vacation fantastic:  Boom Boom (so funny and talented!), Sander (also very funny and nice), and Maria (very friendly and good massage) with Star Friends.  Rosa & Mayelin at the pool bar - both so friendly.  Leandro ( very friendly) and Altagracia (very accommodating) at the buffets.  Diana & Marianela (great massages) at the spa.  Many, many others also were very friendly and much appreciated.

We hope to return one day!

Room Tip: Request a view facing the interior of the property and close to the pool. I heard that the swim out...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear guest,
In the name of the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro team, we would like to thank you for posting a review about your experience with us and for having chosen our hotel as your holidays’ destination.
We are very satisfied to read your positive comments about the service of our staff members, the wide variety of dishes offered in our four specialty restaurants, our nightly themed buffet and our 24 hour Room Service, our well stock bar, our wide range of activities offered daily and nightly by our Star Friends. Those are part of our guiding principles in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. Rosa and Mayerlin, at bars, Leandro and Altagracia, at the buffet, Diana and Marianela, at spa, and our star Friends Maria, Ayendi and Sanders have been congratulated for doing a remarkable work.
On the other hand, we apologize for the room cleaning upon your arrival and our wi-fi service. We are working hard to prevent the reoccurrence of the situation mentioned.
We are already waiting for you mail with the booking details, so we can help you to enjoy your next visit.
With the best regards,
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Our family of eight went to celebrate my parents anniversary. Although the trip was delayed one day by mechanical failure of our aircraft, the hotel easily accommodated our revised travel schedule. While I could write many pages of good things about the hotel, the best part was the people who worked there. We enjoyed their constant care to every detail of our stay. We heard the same from other people who were staying at the hotel. I'm afraid I won't be very patient at an American restaurant as I wait for my glass of water to be refilled, I can't recall a time when my glass was empty more than a few seconds, just incredible attention to our needs and wants. Oh, and the hotel is quite beautiful also. And the food was just outstanding. Every day was a feast! For our next trip to Dominican Republic we will be staying at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear guests,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro to celebrate your parents’ anniversary and for publishing a review in Tripadvisor about your experience.
In the name of the Hotel Manager and the whole team, we would like to express you how honored we are to hear that your excellent valuation about the service provided by our friendly staff in all areas of our grounds. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”. We are sure that your whole family felt so.
We are waiting for your next visit, please contact us by e mail to ensure you another memorable holiday.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Spent 9 days at the Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana. Great staff. Friendly, always want to please the travelers. They work very hard to do so. Food is good but I hesitate to call it gourmet. Before we left, I had read one travelers review about the food. She stated that a yellow sauce decoration on her plate of seafood was nothing more than yellow mustard. Well, she wasn't lying. I had the same experience. However, the food was good and there was plenty of it and you can get it no matter the time of day. I think it is important to remember that they are trying to feed a large number of people 24 hours a day. My wife and I also asked for certain off the menu items and the wait staff and chefs happily obliged. I do mean happily. anything we wanted they made. The resort does lack night time entertainment. They have a theater in the resort that presents a nightly show starting at 10. The performers put on a different show each night but unfortunately it is awful. One night they performed the musical 'Chicago". It was lip-synced, poorly. None of the performers had been able to memorize the lyrics or lines and well, it was bad, very very bad. I know they work hard but they need to send them to the Iberostar family resort to perform and turn the theater into a dance club. There is nothing to do after dinner but sit somewhere and drink. After 5 days of doing just that, you yearn for something different. The pool area is great. You can seclude yourself or sit around the pool bar amidst the buzz of the crowd. The staff makes sure you are comfortable and asks you if you would like to get involved in some activities like volleyball, archery, shooting with an air riffle, bingo etc. But they won't pressure you. Tell them no thank you and you are left alone. The beach is long and clean with plenty of shady places to sit if you choose. We spent most of our trip under a pool side gazebo that shelters a bed. Awesome way to relax. Heck, we saw people having food delivered to them pool-side. Room was comfortable, had the butler prepare a bath for us one night after dinner. It was nice. Rose petals in the shape of a heart floated on top of the bath water and tea lights lined the tub. Champagne was set next to the tub and a fruit tray was offered but we declined since we had just eaten. A path of rose petals guided us from our front door to the tub and towel animals were placed along the edge of the rose petal path. Very romantic. The resort offers a full service spa, small gym, and even spinning classes. We had a couples massage and my wife had an additional hot stone massage and facial. Both were great. The spa services are not included so expect to pay spa prices for those services. Received 2 rounds of golf in the package we bought. If you are a golfer, take advantage of it and bring your sticks. The rental clubs are poor, and balls are a buck a piece. I hadn't planned on playing golf during the trip but my lovely wife told me to go enjoy a round. It cost me 60 bucks to play due to the need to rent clubs, buy balls and a hat. I forwent purchasing a glove but they have them if you need them. Nice course. It's a P.B. Dye design and I'm sure I would have scored better had I not been playing with a worn out set of Nike Sasquatch clubs. Overall it was a great trip. We were able to do next to nothing for 9 days and left very relaxed. We can't say enough good things about the staff and were sad to say goodbye to them.

Room Tip: don't get garden view or swim up rooms. garden view means you will stare at the buildings of the...
Dear guests,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your anniversary celebration and for taking the time to write a review about your romantic experience.
We want to express our satisfaction to hear that your holidays were relaxing and very romantic, according to your review. We appreciate your lines about the friendliness and excellent service provided by our staff members in the different areas of our premises, it is one of our guiding principles in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts so our guests can “enjoy being a star”.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again, please contact us before arrival to help you to enjoy your next vacations with us,
Kindest regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I were married in the Caribbean (Sandals Antigua) so decided to go back to the Caribbean for our 10th anniversary. We had an excellent time spending 5 wonderful days and nights at the Grand Bavaro...we expected a lot from a 5-star resort and it lived up to the expectations.

The Good:
-Gorgeous property, well maintained gardens, tremendous view from our top floor, restaurant side, inward-facing suite.
-Were able to get a dinner reservation at each restaurant right on arrival with perhaps a helpful proactive gratuity. All were very good to excellent, with the French cuisine being the clear 4th place meal. Surf & Turf and Italian were both very, very good. Breakfast and lunch options were plentiful and tasty. Earlier arrival gets you fresher fruit. Also, excellent omelettes-to-order from the ladies at both ends of the breakfast buffet.
-Unlike some hotels or resorts, you are not cheated with lightweight drinks in terms of alcohol.
-Beach is beautiful, and we found the beach service plenty fast enough for our needs. Water was warm and easy to enjoy with a well-manicured gently sloped swim area, not too rough.
- Couple tiki huts on beach and pool cabanas always available and really add to making the experience all around.
-Lots of activities on the property to pick from, not high pressure to join (though not clear the schedule of what and when). SImple but fun prizes awarded (hats, tees, rum, spa vouchers etc)
-Best massage (aromatherapy) I've had in years in the spa, no trouble getting a reservation (extra $$)
-Another shout out to Boom-Boom - very entertaining, energetic, and welcoming. He loves his job (just ask him) and it shows. I would add however that ALL of the staff or exceedingly polite, friendly, and helpful if needed.
-Did the Zip Line excursion with Canopy adventures. Well-run, tremendous views and photo-ops, felt completely safe and in good hands. We felt a little rushed through the course itself compared to other ZIps, however. Wilson/Pinky made the 40-min ride into the mountains and out much fun and interesting.

The Not as Good:
-WiFi in the room spotty, no one really to call for help. Lots of rebooting and turning off and on the device wifi
-TV channels are not much if you are use to range and quality in the states, but not even a minor part of our vaca plan. For lousy weather, that might matter.
-Read a comment on the lobby bar that was accurate - not much regularly going on there. Ditto pool area - there are plenty of similar resorts where you will pull your hair out if you hear one more carribean beat - certainly not so here, and per other reviews, it is not a contemporary soundtrack.
-The show we attended was fun, and the talent sound, but you aren't on Broadway
-If you hablo espanol it will be very beneficial. If you know just a bit, it would be worthwhile brushing up. If you speak no spanish, its not a problem, just realize that some of the everyday staff who are not paid to be interactive are less likely to be as fluent in English.
-Our leaving day coincided with Hurricane Sandy not too far away (Bahamas). Obviously there is nothing any resort or airline can do about the air travel weather delays. But, in less than tropical storm conditions, a 50 ft x 20 foot back wall at the Punta Cana airport blew in while we were waiting in terminal two! It looked like it was a temporary wall built for construction occurring behind it, but between that and how hard it began to rain inside the terminal as downpours took place outside made us wonder how the place might fare in an actual hurricane and about the few close-to-airport hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear guests,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your tenth wedding anniversary and for writing a review about your experience with us.
It is a pleasure for us to read that our hotel premises, quality, facilities and services met your expectations during your holidays among us, according to the title of your review. We are thankful for your kind comments towards the friendliness and the service provided by our staff members, the beauty and cleanness of our premises, towards our varied gastronomy and the daily and nightly activities proposed by our Star Friends. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”. We will congratulate Ayendi for helping us to make you feel as Stars.
On the other hand, we welcome your suggestion about how to improve our musical ambiance. We will take notes from it and try to find a way which matches with our policy of relaxation. Likewise we apologize for the inconsistence in the wifi and TV signal. We are working with our external providers to solve those problems.
We hope to welcome you back again, please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
Yours sincerely,
minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was out first time in The Dominican Republic and it was lovely!
The Grand Bavaro overall is very good.
The Staff work very hard to provide excellent service and are always smling and seem genuinely Happy at work.
Our room was very comfortable, cleaned and fresh towels twice a day- turn down service.too.
The food was good. It was a little challenging to get reservations for every night but we eventually did.- had to go to the Bavaro one night-
The Butler service could definately improve.- we only saw ours when we arrived and when we had trouble with reservations- it took a couple of hours for him to bring pillows when requested.
The beach is great..plenty of loungers and palapas.The pool is warm and lots of beds,loungers,chairs etc.
The entertainment crew are fun..lots of fun activities, during the day.
The evenings were very quiet....the shows were variable. The live band was great one night but the rest of the shows were poor..
Overall a very good stay. Thank you!

Room Tip: Top floor. Facing the pool or ocean. The outside ones face into the bavaro next door.
Dear guests,
We thank you for taking time to write a review in Tripadvisor about your stay at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro. In the name of Hotel Manager, we also thank you for choosing our hotel premises to celebrate your thirtieth wedding anniversary.
We would to express our satisfaction to read that you had a wonderful experience in our hotel premises and facilities in such as especial occasion. We appreciate your nice words about the varied gastronomy, the beauty of our premises and the service provided by our staff members. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service to our beloved guests.
I have shared your suggestions about our Butler service with our Management team so we can work harder to not have a reoccurrence of an inconsistent service.
We look forward to welcome you again, please feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I (both 50) returned yesterday after a 14 night stay. Overall we were very pleased with our selection of hotel. They could improve on a few minor things, but we were very happy with our stay.

Check In went very smoothly. Cool towels and champagne or piña colada offered as soon as we arrived. We were upgraded at no charge to a partial (very partial) ocean view on the restaurant side of the resort.

Room was exactly like the pictures. No surprises here. I would say that the room is smaller compared to other 5 star AIs we've been to but the comfortable bed certainly made up for the size of the room - it was probably the most comfortable we've ever had at an AI. It would have been much more convenient to have a couch in the room rather than the chaise lounge that was provided so we could watch movies on our computer in the evenings. Maid service was generally ok but reloading the room with glasses and face cloths was inconsistent. Bar service was also inconsistent...many days we came back to the room to find no beer in the fridge....husband learned to stop by the lobby bar on our way back to the room at the end of the day to pick up a beer since he knew there would be none in the room. However, I did have a bottle of wine waiting for me every day by 4PM which was a nice touch. We never saw any bugs in our room. Turn down service was top notch and happened every night after we left for dinner. Bubble bath arranged a couple of nights...it was very nice with rose petals, candles and champagne.

Free wifi in the room was not reliable at all...we found it was better our first week but almost non-existent during our second week. With very little to do in the evenings (as mentioned in other reviews), we would have been fine to download movies and relax on the balcony or in our room but this was seldom possible. On our last day we had to ask our concierge to access the Internet via the hotel office (there was no internet available at the computer terminals that are available to guests either) so we could check our flight times - she was very accommodating but we shouldn't have had to do this.

Butler (Arismendy) was only seen 2x during our 14 day stay...most of our communication happened through the concierge desk. We did get dinner reservations ( half were arranged through our butler when we arrived and the next few through the concierge) although you do have to be flexible with meal times....we only got our preferred 8pm reservation on 2 occasions.

Restaurants were overall good. We preferred the Japanese (went twice) and the Gourmet (went twice and had the same thing both times...the veal filet was fantastic). We are not foodies and my husband doesn't like seafood or fish...we found that the Menus could have offered a bit more variety but we were able to find something to eat everywhere and enjoyed the presentation and taste. The wine list was never offered at the a la carte restaurants...we had to ask each time and they would bring it... We never saw any other guests ask for it - I suspect that they didn't know there were included wines available rather then just the wines that cost extra because they have the extra cost wines on display outside the restaurant and the wine list displayed is open only to the 'extra cost' page so this likely deters people. We had no problem getting the wine requested each time.

Pool butler service was outstanding...we loved Rosie, Yenny, Nicole and Mayelin they were top notch. A special shout out to Rosie who who couldn't have worked harder....that woman runs like a mad woman all day in the heat and always with a smile :)

Golf was fabulous...the course was just beautiful. Go for an early tee time though because the course gets so hot.

The Spa was just ok...I've seen nicer at other resorts. I went for a deep tissue massage that was more like a Swedish...she barely touched my lower back at all. The facial was ok.

While my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around the expansive lobby in the evening, it would have been nice to have an area that was enclosed and air-conditioned where you could sit and enjoy some live music and a drink. It was incredibly hot and humid during most of our stay and it was too uncomfortable to sit for long in the open-air lobby bar. There was a cigar bar and a games room where you could escape the heat but no lobby area.

The resort is beautiful and the service was truly fantastic.

Dear guest,
On the behalf of Hotel Manager, and his team, we would like to thank you for posting a review about your experience among us and for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays.
We would like to express you how satisfied we are to hear that our varied gastronomy and the excellent service provided by our friendly staff, among them by Rosie, Yenny, Nicole and Mayelin, ensure you a memorable holiday. In Iberostar we aim to be well known by the excellent service of our staff members.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for the inconsistent service of wi-fi, the minibar and face towel restock and your personal butler. We have shared your comment with the concerning departmental heads so they can take measure to deliver the service expected by our beloved costumers.
With kindest regards,

Been to Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel? Share your experiences!