“AMAZING....THE BEST...EXTRAORDINARY..DEFINITELY RECOMMEND IT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #15 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
youngarmywife21
“AMAZING....THE BEST...EXTRAORDINARY..DEFINITELY RECOMMEND IT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

I'm a 22 year old hispanic female married to a 21 year old hispanic soldier of the US army, and we must say that this hotel is absolutely amazing. This resort is an Adults only which is perfect, you don't see little kids running around or screaming while you're trying to relax anywhere in the hotel. On the other side is for families and children and that's where all the live stuff is at, the club which iksn't that great and my parents are dominican and I can tell you the music was ok but they barely played spanish. The shows and theatre are also over on that side. Anyways, the perfect quiet, and romantic place to be is at the Ambar. My husband and I met amazing people, from Spain and Canada. Oh and the STAFF words can't explain how great they were. The people work for their guest. We were there for 1 week and never did we see anyone with a frown or mad just because you asked them for something else. They become your friends and are absolutely amazing. Adalgisa (one of the bartenders at the swim up bar) is a sweetheart and is very funny, she even cried when I left. Carlos, Reymond, and Jose were very great at bar tending. Ezequiel the waiter at the buffet was awesome and gave great service. Also we cant forget Jose Miguel ( Que nos salia hasta en la sopa) lOl. He's the supervisor of all he bars and he's always there when you need him. Nicanor and Yohanny the bag boys are also great. Ezequiel and Reimond even took my husband and I to a club outside the resort after their 12 hour shift ended, how great is that? These people are amazing. So please treat them nice when you go remember their working for us, for the guests to make our stay unforgettable. Hope this review has worked for you.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,640)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Windsor Locks, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

The Ambar came highly recommended for our honeymoon from a couple who go twice a year.
Grounds: beautiful (glad we were in the adults only since there is a lot of kids at the other sections of the resort).
Ocean, beach and pool: beautiful (well maintained).
Drinks: fantastic! A lot of choices be aware most drinks are sweet and frozen. It is very hot so drinks melt fast. The only beer Presidente.
Guest services: Friendly, I did have to work with the manager to get issues resolved

Disappointments.
Guest Services: Was at guest services with an issue almost everyday.
Communication: If you speak Spanish you will not have an issue. We did not, so trying to get help was difficult, problem with the safe, maintenance did not speak English after 15 min had to get translator on the phone. Messages being left on our phone again, had to find someone to translate. Waitstaff speak a little English and they want to talk but only speak fluent in Spanish.
Room: Nice, but musty smelling, it took days before the smell diminished. The mini bar was not restocked everyday. Some days the room was cleaned better than others.
Food: very disappointing. The buffet food was cold and over cooked. We complained but did not notice a difference. (the outside buffet lunch was good). The restaurants were not good, over salty, cold, and the lobster was awful. We like to think we are not picky eaters but spending this kind of money I would like to eat better than I cook.
Nightlife: None at the Ambar, we went to the shows and did not stay since not in English, went to disco which did not start till 12 am and packed with kids. We then decided to stay in the lobby of the Ambar and would meet different couples. (In talking with them they all had the same disappointments)
Tipping: We brought money to tip, found no difference when tipping the bartenders or waiters. Maid service big difference. The room would be spotless.
Spa Services: NOT GOOD, if you know a good massage you will be truly disappointed.

Overall, if the quality of food matched the beauty of the grounds we would have considered going back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

Just got back September 19.I will try to save and go back again next summer.I agree with every thing said about how beautiful this place is.It truly is "The paradise on earth".Beautiful beach,a very nice pool and a very relaxing atmosphere.It is great for couples but as a single guy i also enjoyed it very much. I want to join the other peoples comments and say that is very important to tip the staff. It is important because these hardworking people make it possible to have one of the best vacation of your life.These people work 12 hour shifts a day for 12 consecutive days before they get a couple of days off. They really appreciate your kindness.Very friendly and polite people.As for the food it is average but you will find something that you like.Night life needs some improvement but i met people that went outside the resort for the better discos and clubs.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

With the choicest ,wide ,soft, pristeen beaches that Bavaro Beach boasts, this Ambar offers what most hotels do not deliver, Excellence. This Adult childless retreat gathers people Internationally and spoils them with smiling faces and warm greetings everywhere you go.
We travelled Air Canada Vacations and from Toronto direct to Dominican the flight was efficient and timely.The Bus Shuttle in was Air conditioned and well planned to arrive at night. The greeting was quick and off to our rooms we went. Our daughters had the best suite overlooking the pool with a glorious view of the Ocean.We were right across the Hall in Building 60 Third floor and the rooms were spotless and spacious. The Airco when you place your Room Card in the Control Panel inside the front door quickly eliminated the musty smell and for the rest of the week gave great comfort to the 90 degree afternoons.The Mini-bar was not fast at cooling but with time it managed to cool the drinks. The Flat screen TV offered a good variety of choice in English and full for Spanish. The Washrooms were perfectly thought out with lots of room, a separate Shower, a the Jet tub we didn't use but it was there to relieve the worst of burns.
The Food from the Reviews we read was not what we found. The Buffet, yes was excellent in its variety and quality. The service was first class with Capuccinos flowing.
It was the A'la Cartes that surprized us. The Chateaubriande at Don Pablos was superb. El Oliva tenderloin and filets when ordered Medium came with th perfect colour of pink. The Open Air Dining in the Mexican and seafood restaurants near the beach when booked for 7 was still too warm to fully enjoy a meal. The Lobster Night offered at the Main Hotel give credence to why we booked Adult. Half eaten deserts put back at the Buffet and parents attempting behavioural demands left us and their Kids unfulfilled. Their Lobster was grilled and not of any flavour I would order again. A big TO DO when you get there is to book the A la Cartes as soon as you see the Concierge,Customer Service person alone at her desk.And this is difficult to do.
To counter that though the one night we were without a Reservation the Ambar Main Buffet offered Sushi, Duck a 'L'orange and Lobsters with a sweet table to top it off.
The Pool when you were covered by the thatched umbrellas was breezy and the water was luke perfect. The Jet Pools were slightly cooler but the trip to the Pool Bar was quite refreshing. Drinks are drinks and the beer was cold and the Servers were responsive to everyones requests. The House wines were RED(sweet) and White(fruity) Chileans. You can order wines at $20 and up for a 750 litre bottle.
The Spa the girls used and it was clean and friendly. Apparently with Air Canada Vacations you get a 10 % discount and Air Transat you get 30%.
We booked a tour of the island at the Hotels Scubaquatic hut on the beach from the salespeople that wonder up and down the beach and around the pool but since we were the only 4 who booked (off season)they had to refund our money. That was ten days ago. Still waiting for that but will follow up with Rosa the concierge if it does not arrive soon.
This hotel rivals any Mexican Hotel we have stayed in at Playa del Carmen and the Dominican beaches are simply the best. We did not Shop other than in the Hotel which has minimal shopping available. We did not mind because we really went for R & R. Playa offers more in that respect. We were inspired by the beaches and awed by the kindness of the staff. As their Room Service would say , seconds after the order was delivered, the "Did you receive" call would ring at your room and state "It was a Pleasure" and that it was.

For fine a'la carte dining while enjoying all the spoils that this 5 star oasis includes.
Great Holiday (our daughters are 20 and 27)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

I want to preface this by saying my wife and I had an enjoyable four-night stay at the Ambar and would go back, especially for the beach and pool. However, there were a couple of things that annoyed me and prompted me to write. We arrived around 2pm and check-in was at 3. They had our packet (room keys, map, restaurant reservations, etc.) all set, put on our bracelets indicating we were staying there, gave us a welcome drink, but said our room wasn't ready and that we should eat lunch in the buffet. We had a relaxing meal and got back to the desk at 2:45. They said the room wouldn't be ready for another 25 minutes. Fine. So my wife went to check out the pool and I checked out our villa. Having seen our room number, I went to investigate and, sure enough, they were still cleaning the room at 3. I went back to the desk at 3:10 and they said it'd be ANOTHER 20 minutes. Mind you, I was in long pants and it was 90 degrees out, and all I wanted to do was change into my bathing suit, get a poolside cocktail, etc. We FINALLY got into our room at 3:45, which I found ridiculous. (To my relief, the room was huge and the bathroom great, although the handle on our shower door was chipped and the hotel logo decal was peeling off.) The other chief annoyance was discovering that the breakfast buffet wait staff looks at you like you have two heads if you ask for water. I have no idea why this was the case, as they come around at lunch and dinner with water, but two straight mornings we had to ask twice for water and they still didn't bring it; once we simply walked out and once I walked up to their station and did it myself. Given how hot it was and that my wife is pregnant, you can understand our annoyance. That said, we still had a great time, were pleasantly surprised by the food and would certainly go back. Just be prepared to wait if you get there before 3 and wait for water in the morning!

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

My wife and I just returned. We were there from September 6 through 12, 2009. We opted for the Ambar thanks to a friend's recommendation and loved it. We found the reviews on tirpadvisor helpful, so I want to add our experience to help others out.
We booked through BPUSA Travel. Korelia is wonderful. She made all of our reservations for the a la carte dinners ahead of time and our dinner reservation tickets were waiting for us on arrival.
Airline- If you travel from South Florida go with LAN Chile, they put American Airlines to shame. The ground crew and air crew are friendly and customer oriented. They serve food and drinks for free in economy. American charges you for a soft drink and they give you attitude. LAN airplanes are clean and comfortable. They are cheaper than American, which I can't understand.
Arrival- We were met at the airport by a driver carrying a placard with our names. He drove us to the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro, where they immediately placed us on a trolley for a quick ride to the Ambar. The Ambar, being super exclusive, does not allow taxis, buses on their grounds.
Check in- We were asked to fill out a form. A waitress brought us cocktails and a cold towel to freshen up. Our room was not ready, as we arrived at 1:00 pm and check in is at 3:00. We went to the buffet and later had a porter escort us to our room.
The room- Third floor, corner unit was huge with a big balcony. Beautiful bathroom with jacuzzi tub, separate shower and separate water closet.
We reported the air was not cooling and within 10 minutes we had a repairman onsite. Later we were contacted by their customer service rep to inquire whether we were happy. I mentioned that the air was better, but not great. An A/C supervisor came and took care of the problem. To my surprise, customer service called me again the next morning to ensure we were happy. Erica Quispe of customer service is a true star.
Service- Everyone is committed to making the customer happy. The grounds crews, maids, bartenders and management staff always smile and ask if you are having a good time. Many speak limited English but they really try.
Beach- We have travelled throughout the Caribbean, Central America, Europe, North America and Africa, and found this beach to be the best we have experienced. The water is crystal clear, the sand is white and feels like talcum powder. They have staff raking any little bit of seaweed from the sand every morning. This is paradise.
Food- The buffets are excellent. The a la carte restaurants are good, but not gourmet.
Drinks are plentiful, but stick to the scotch as the mixed drinks tend to be too sweet.
Entertainment- The Ambar exists to help you relax. Beach and pool aerobics with music. For dancing and loud music you take a short trolley ride to the Bavaro side of the complex and you can go to the disco or watch a show; then you leave all that behind and return to your paradise at the Ambar.
Lobby bar at the Ambar- Jose the bartender is excellent. After our fist visit, he learned our favorite drinks and from then on had them ready as we approached the bar.
The guests were mainly Europeans and Canadians, although there were some Americans. 30% of the women go topless at the beach and this was ok by us. It is very natural for the Europeans, without sexual conotations. We saw no singles, only couples. Kids are not allowed at the Ambar.
Dominicans are warm, friendly and welcoming. We had been to Punta Cana two years ago, but stayed at the Sol Melia Caribe Tropical. We prefer the Ambar hands down.

Crete
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

My husband and I chose the DR as our honeymoon destination and the choice didn’t prove to be a wise one. Don’t get me wrong; the DR is a lovely island with great beaches and great weather most of the time. The hotels, however, in Punta Cana tend to be in the middle of nowhere and unless you are willing to spend at least 70USD on a taxi ride to the nearest town (Higuey), there isn’t much to see in the surrounding area, in fact only deserted roads and jungle-like vegetation. Unless you are the type who enjoys staying in the same place for two weeks doing nothing but sleeping, sunbathing, eating, this is not a good place to stay.
We were looking forward to getting some rest after our wedding, but after three days of doing nothing but lying at the beach and eating delicious Dominican food we were bored, and felt trapped in the hotel.
Don’t bother with the posh restaurants- we found that the buffet was where the best food was. The restaurants pretend to be posh by offering a small portion of food on a huge plate: well bad news for you guys, that’s not what gourmet food is. The food there is the same in quality if not poorer than the buffet with limited choice. Most of the nights that we dinned at the restaurants we ended up visiting the buffet afterwards or ordering room service.
The beach is amazing! White sand and beautiful palm trees, just like the sort you would have as wallpaper on your PC. We never had trouble finding a sunbed ( but it wasn’t exactly peak season either). It’s also great to jog along next to the sea and take a look at the other hotels in the area- The Ambar clearly stands out!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!