“Definitely won't be returning” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #11 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago, IL
“Definitely won't be returning”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

The appearance of the hotel and the location were great. However, the constant flow of trains and carts throughout the area were bothersome. The cleanliness of the pool area was good, however, they kept it so cold you could barely stand it if you got in.

The food was absolutely horrific! We literally couldn't eat any meal except for breakfast because everything tasted so awful. For a 5 star hotel this was a great disappointment. The so called restaurants on site basically served the same food that the buffet served.

The service was terrible. None of the staff spoke decent English. The airline lost my luggage on the way to Punta Cana. The staff was of no help in providing information on the delivery of my bag to the hotel. We literally had to walk around to each reception area and find the bag ourselves because no one would take the time to find out if it was there.

This hotel needs to really work on the quality of their service and food before I would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

4,613 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,112)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

Date: January 9th, 2009

We just got back from the Ambar, and we totally loved it. It was our first time to an adult only all inclusive and it certainly was the way to go. The room was great and spacious. The mini bar was always stocked and the room service was wonderful.

The buffet was great too. I enjoyed the food we had everyday. We ate at 3 of the restaurants (Maiko, Don Pablo, Portifino) and they were all very good as well. The only thing was the portions left my husband a little hungry, but it was most likely a healthy portion so we didn't complain. We ate enough food everywhere else all day long.

The grounds are beautiful. The beach area is as well. We really appreciated the fact that there were no children in our beach area and what a huge difference it made. My husband kept thanking me for making the reservation for the Ambar. The main part of the beach was very loud with families. Everyday it was very busy. After the 1st two days we went down in the early morning to reserve our beach chairs or there were just none to be had.

We went on 2 excursions with Bavaro Runners, the zip line and the safari tour. Both were great. We had great guides for both and really enjoyed ourselves.

It was a great time and can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The adult only beach.
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I just want to start off by saying that if anyone has anything bad to say about this resort, then they have literally gone cuckoo for cocoa puffs!

My husband and I went to the Grand Bahia Principe “Amber” resort from March 31, 2008 to April 7, 2008. We went to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and to top it off we met my parents down there. They were celebrating their 32nd wedding anniversary. They were there from March 29th to April 12, 2008. I realize it’s been a long time since our vacation but so many things have happened and I couldn’t find it within myself to write this review until now...

We got in at the resort at about 9:45pm on the 31st and there waiting for us was mom & dad…Drive to resort from airport wasn’t bad at all…Took about 40mins. Held my breath a few times as the roads are quite narrow and traffic was little congested at times. Upon arriving at the resort we were greeted with a nice hot wash cloth and a cold beverage…Very nice…Check in was a breeze…They came threw with our request, ocean view 3 floor corner unit…Building 63 room 313…

The bell boys carried our luggage to our room no problem. The room was beyond breathtaking…We had a king size 4 poster bed, flat screen TV, a dinning table and a pull out couch…all of that for 2 people!, unbelievable. The bathroom was done in marble and the Jacuzzi was amazing…A care package was left on our bed which consisted of a bottle of rum and 2 hotel T-shirt…

As we got in late and missed supper we did order room service…wait was long but that didn’t bother us, we were finally on vacation…

We ate at 5 of the a-la-carts…Japaneese, Brazil, French, Gourmet, & Mexican…all were beyond good…have to say my favorite was the Japanese…having the chef cook in front of us was pretty cool…

The grounds throughout the resort are immaculate…The staff take pride in their jobs and are always trimming, sweeping, and picking up the tiniest of leaves on the grounds…Everyone is always greeting you with a warm happy smile.

The pool at the adults’ only is huge…I have to say the best part of the pool is the swim up bar…it was always nice to go and have a dip in the cool water then head over to the bar for another drink…The waiters and waitress were coming around at least once every 45 mins to see if you wanted or better yet needed another drink…

Now as for the beach you could walk forever… the sand was white and soft…from the resort to the market which is about a 45 min walk to your right if you were looking at the ocean was really good…tons of things going on…on our walk we saw a body building competition going on…for those of you that are a little reserved, be prepared…everything goes on the beach!!

As far as the disco, didn’t get to see it…I can honestly say that we were in bed sleeping by 10:30…that’s what happens when your up at 6:00am and drink all day…lol…

We did 2 excursions…1. Parasailing – it was good not as intense as I thought it would be. 2. Banana boat ride –that was a thrill in itself…the hardest part of that was trying to get back on the banana after been thrown off…would def. do it again hands down!

For those of you curious about hair braiding I did get it done…on the beach 20 feet from the resort… You can also get it done down at the market…my hair was shoulder length and I got extensions put in it so that made my hair go to my lower back and it cost me $125.00…make sure you barter with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They did want 200.00…

You always hear about not being able to find a lounge chair, well take it from me you can! Just don’t sleep in till 10:00am and you won’t have a problem…Remember you can sleep all you want back at home, but you may only see paradise one week out of the year, if you’re lucky!

Would I go back? Definitely! But not this year…too many memories…I lost my dad the day after he and my mom got home, so this march I’m taking my mom to Mexico…

Enjoy and go with an open mind, trust me you won’t be disappointed…

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Otterville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

The Ambar was exellent. My wife and I are 36 and 38 and just wanted a relaxing getaway,and the Ambar was better then what we expected.The staff was great the food was great the rooms are very spacious and clean and very modern.The resort (Bahia Principe) is very big, but not so mutch that you feel lost. I would recommend this resort to everyone.

• Liked — Clean and Modern
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edmonton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

Hello all. I am disappointed to have to write this. Do not book any scuba diving through this resort. My girlfriend and I booked a dive trip to Catalina through the resort's dive shop. She became ill 2 days before we were scheduled to go. We spoke to the dive operator and explained the situation and they agreed to refund her half of the amount. As of today i am still out all of the money. When i attempted to collect the money all they would give me was a peice of paper saying refund. The shop refused to swipe my credit card and said that the paper was a record and they would refund the money later that day manually through their machine. I queried the operator several times as to why he would not swipe my card and he would not budge. I am now dealing directly with my credit card company and it is a real hassel. I did go on the trip and IT WAS NOT WORTH IT. ALL THE CORAL IS DEAD....THERE ARE LITTLE OR NO FISH....THE BOAT WAS OVERLOADED AND CRAMPED...OPEN BAR INCLUDED 1 BOTTLE OF RUM FOR MAYBE 30 PEOPLE...AND THE EQUIPTMENT IS IN HORRIFIC CONDITION. LUNCH ON THE BOAT WAS A COUPLE OF BAGS OF POTATO CHIPS PASSED AROUND. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SAVE YOUR MONEY OR BOOK THROUGH SOMEONE ELSE. EITHER WAY THERE IS LITTLE OR NOTHING TO SEE. WHILE ATTEMPTING TO RETRIEVE MY MONEY SEVERAL OTHERS APPROACHED THE SHOP AND THERE WERE SEVERAL HEATED EXCHANGES. VERY VERY POOR BUSINESS PRACTICE. I HAVE DIVED ALL OVER THE WORLD AND HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A POORLY RUN OUTFIT!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

The grounds and beach are really beautiful-Much effort made into maintainance--The beach location is the best of many hotels in area-The beach water is warmer then the pool
Couple of pointers here--
Bring a large mug for drinks
Make reservations for the specialty restaurants immediately upon arrival--They fill up fast--Try the Japanese, Steakhouse, Garden Grill and BBQ(some are on the other properties such as punta cana or bavaro)--They seemed the best as the buffet and others were dissappointing-(same things every day)-Seems like they cater to the canadian and European tastes abit more so Americans will be dissappointed other then the mentioned restaurants above(if you dont have reservations, show up at 630pm and ask --They said they will hold other reservations for 15 minutes, then give away as many dont show ontime or at all
Service is tough because there is a communication gap with many employees
So if your here for drinks and surroundings with no special service needed, you will love this resort
If looking for above AND average to above average food, you may want to explore some other resorts

• Liked — Nice big rooms, beatiful maintained grounds, stunning beach
  • Disliked — service mistakes(check in, check out, requests), average food, same food at buffett, wine low grade
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

4 out of 5

Fist of all, let me say that our stay at the Grand Bahibe Ambar was very pleasant.

We went two couples for the New Year week and had a great time.

The site is beautiful, the many ( many ) gardens are immaculately taken care of.

The cleanliness of the site is perfect in every way.

The beach is paradise like with a lot of huts for those who are shy of the sun.

The pool is beautiful with a nice swim up bar.

The rooms are quite large with a very comfortable bed.

The quality of the food is very varied and very good

Now for the reasons of my 4

When in a five star resort I expect a few thing.

The in room mini bar was not adequate. Four beers and one two oz scotch is not a mini bar when you consider that the lobby bar closes at 11:30 pm.

Speaking of the lobby bar, all premium drinks are not included ( ex: cognac, brandy, whisky, quality scotch, champagne, ect. ). ( Can you say all inclusive?)

The rooms are nice but don’t cut it to be a five star.

The HOUSE WHINE, you don’t want to have to drink that for to long, but the only alternative is to pay for premium. ( Can you say all inclusive?)

The waiters have a problem in the buffet restaurant; they are more in to talking with each other than taking your plate away. We waited up to fifteen minutes before getting our plates removes, and then we started removing them ourself.

The beach bar closes at 5:30 pm and does not deliver to your seat.

The pool bar closes at 6:00 pm.

Speaking of delivery, they do deliver at the lobby bar, one problem though; the waitresses do not speak English or French. You will have a hard time ordering your drink in any other language that Spanish.

All in all I feel that this should be quotes as a very good four star resort.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — all the bars
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar? Share your experiences!