You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #15 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sudbury, Canada
“service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Just got back from a fantastic trip to Punta Cana. The resort was clean and the service was great. I would love to thank Deseree our loby waitress, she was always smiling and the service was fantastic. The people who also keep the beach clean and our chairs brushed off went above and beyond anything I could have imagined.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Lisa,

We thank you for this amazing and fantastic comment. We really appreciate your words. Desiree, your waitresses, will be delighted with your wonderful acknowledgment.

Looking forward to seeing you soon for a longer time! Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,636)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Thunder Bay Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was my third time at this particular Bahia Principe and as always, you can't go wrong! This is a huge property with a bunch of resorts inside. We stay at the Ambar as it is adults only and closest to the beach. Friends stayed at the Esmeralda, also on the property, close to the beach but allows children.
For the first time there was a mix up with our room; we go two doubles instead of a King. We had to put up with this overnight as we arrived at midnight but it was corrected the next morning.
The rooms are clean, mini fridges stocked daily and the cleaning lady was amazing. Very polite and did a fabulous job..she even incorporated my stuffed dog that travels with me into her nightly pull down service with the bed!
Food at the buffet is remarkable, very well presented, tasty and lots of it. It isn't always very hot.
The beach is amazing, clean and since our last visit 5 years ago they have added an abundance of sun beds so you always get one, even if you don't get to the beach until noon!
Didn't catch a show this time, but I remember them being great. We did go to the managers beach party and loved the drinks in a hollowed out pineapple or coconut!
The a la carte restaurants are OK. Not as amazing as I remember them but nothing to complain about either. I think I should have picked different ones and we would have been happier. There is a lot to choose from.
Our friends room at Esmeralda was great! Very clean and because we travelled for our anniversary, balloons decorated the door and a bottle of run awaited! We didn't get this at Ambar and when we enquired we got rose petals in the tub and bubbles….
Went on a new excursion, on a catamaran with a paddle boat ride and a stop at an island to snorkel and lunch. AWFUL!!! The sea was rough and you had to jump into the little motor boat to get to the island and a huge wave hit, the men let go of the boat and I am sporting a huge leg wound, that should have been stitched and required medication and a visit to a dermatologist once we returned home. There should have been a disclaimer with this trip; older ladies were being lifted back into the little boats to return to the catamaran after lunch as the waves were so bad they couldn't step into the boat. Not safe at all. The lunch was OK (I am allergic to seafood and was told after that they would have prepared a separate meal, but I watched them serve chicken and lobster with the same tongs so didn't trust for cross contamination) then after lunch someone came out of the cooking shack and proceeded to pee behind the building! YUCK!
I have zip lined, whale watched, shopped, and done many more tours and never had this type of experience anywhere in Punta Cana or the Dominican for that matter!
Back to the hotel….they have a little square of shops on the property, all sell pretty much the same stuff, run, t shirts, carvings, hats etc. There are also 2 jewellery shops which in previous trips offered great deals, not so lucky this time!
All in all this property is amazing! The grounds are amazing, clean, beautiful and you can see it all in the little bus that runs all over the property. The spa was awesome and much appreciated as my neck was sore and giving me headaches.
I would recommend this chain of hotels anytime, anywhere. Always a pleasure!!

Room Tip: Ambar and Esmeralda are closest to the beach. Corner rooms are larger. Higher rooms have better vie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen for third time our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar as your holiday destination, and for recommending our chain anywhere at any time for couples and families. Thank you for highlighting our remarkable food, clean rooms, and amazing beach.

I hope you feel much better with knee pain and sorry that this happened during the excursion.

Looking forward to seeing you soon at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

West Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Resort Overall:
This resort is set up the "long way". From front to back with the beach and Ambar section at the back. The Ambar part is best because it is quiet (no kids) and there are not as many people on beach- still a lot of people, but not as many as other parts. The rest of the resort shares their beachfront. We are in our mid-late 30's and were pretty young in this section. The resort is completely walkable. We never used the shuttles. We could make it from Ambar to anywhere in the resort in no more than 10 minutes. The grounds, lobbies, restaurants, etc are beautiful and spotless.

Entertainment:
Lots of stuff going on at night, just follow the music. Every lobby had some sort of music, live or DJ. The theater area, Tropicana, always had a show at 8:25 (Michael Jackson was good, as was Circus, but our favorite was Tuesday night when they did "Mr. Principe" - hilarious!). The Bavaro lobby had a Boogie Nights one evening which was fun to watch.

Room:
All the rooms in Ambar are close to the lobby, pool, and beach. I read a lot of reviews about good buildings and bad buildings, but they are all great. The rooms are very spacious, corner or not. I was worried about the bed, because I have back problems and I felt amazing every morning! Beware: you can hear everything in the hallway, because of the tiles. Cleaning staff woke us every morning around 7 am, because they were talking loudly to each other. One evening a man was drunk and shouting in the hallway. Cleaning crew was great and came in twice (!) every day.

Pool/Beach:
Great setting. It gets very hot at the pool somedays and they play loud music. It was fun to sit there every now and then, but the beach is beautiful and always had a great breeze close to the water. The ocean was refreshing, but warm. You can take great walks in each direction. I was a little concerned about the cleanliness of the pool, because you could see a sheen of something on the top of the water and I didn't smell any chlorine. In addition to all the sunscreen, I saw many people spill drinks in there. Bianca is a great pool waitress!

Staff:
The resort staff was fantastic! Very happy and helpful. They all smile and say "hola" and all the bar tenders were quick to serve. Beware of the sellers with carts in the Bahia Principe area. They are REALLY pushy! It got to the point where we just shook our heads and walked away. It definitely made my blood pressure rise. Same with the people selling excursions around the pool and the Privilege Club in the lobby - they offer you a free helicopter ride if you sit through their sales pitch, but my warning bells were ringing. Book excursions through the resort in the tour operator area.

Packing Tips:
Women- all you need are a few bathing suits, a couple coverups, lots of sunscreen, sandals, and a couple dresses to wear at night. It is hot during the day and humid/warm at night. I am always cold and was fine in a dress with a half or 3/4 sleeve cardigan/shirt. I packed very light and didn't wear most of what I brought. I brought Woolite and washed my bathing suits and hung them under the fan. Bring your own toiletries, as the shampoo and body gel are like water.

Food/Buffets:
I know that a lot of people complain about food at all-inclusives, but we liked the food at the last one we went to. There seems to be an issue of proper cooling/heating at this one. Everything in the buffets was room temp (even the milk!). Food that should be crunchy was mushy and a lot of food was overcooked or covered in sauce. I craved a good salad by the end of the week. Please put in a salad bar with green lettuce!

This is what we learned: Breakfast at the pool buffet was best (you have to ask the bar tender for bananas if you want one), lunch at the beach snack place was best (closest to Ambar - turns into the BBQ at night), and try to get as many dinner reservations as you can, and reserve early! Palmyra, the main buffet off the lobby was the worst! The mangos, papayas, and bananas were delicious!

Drinks:
Great! The Banana Mama is so delicious. When you go to the restaurants, always try the drink they offer when you walk in, as they are all great (the Saki Sangria is amazing at Takari). The bartenders have great recommendations, also.

Food/Ala Cartes:
All restaurants, except Don Pablo, have buffets for appetizers and desserts. The food on these buffets was all the same, except the Asian restaurant had sushi.
-Portofino (Italian): I ordered the pork and it was not good. The Tiramisu was excellent
-El Olivio (Mediteranean): I ordered a steak medium well and it was terrible. It was about a half inch thick, tough, dry, and covered in a bad sauce. I ate the same chocolate dessert that night as I had two nights before, but this time it was dried out almost as if it was sitting out for two days
-BBQ Buffet (Beach): decent food, good selection. Not great, but good atmosphere
-Takari (Asian): I ordered the duck and it was dried out, covered in bad sauce. The sushi at this buffet was great. My husband ordered the sweet and sour pork and that was good.
-Don Pablo: No buffet here, which was a nice change. The staff was very attentive and really went the extra mile to please. We both had the filet minion, which was good, but not great.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be close to everything. We loved our building (61). All rooms have a balcony, bu...
Dear Customer,

We are pleased to read that you spent a quiet and spotless days in Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar, enjoying our well-kept grounds, lobbies and restaurants.

Concerning the concept of the food, please allow us to inform you that we respect the opinion of our guests, and we also feel that it depends on the taste of each person. We regret with this part we were not able to meet your expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review of what other customer need to know about us.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Punta Cana.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

This resort was amazing ! The grounds were gorgeous and well kept . Everyone went out of there way for you !!! Staff was excellent . And food was great !! Loved it and will stay longer next year . Thank you for a great week!!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that this trip was fabulous and you spent an amazing vacation. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

Thank you for this nice comment!!

Winnipeg, MB Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar the first week of February. This was a couple firsts for us - our first time to Punta Cana and our first time at an "adults only". We enjoyed both very much and will definitely try both again.

After a 30 minute ride from the airport, the shuttle bus dropped us off at the Bavaro lobby where an Ambar employee welcomed us and whisked us off in a smaller shuttle to the Ambar lobby (great first impression!). Check-in was a breeze and a bellboy escorted us to our room. We stayed in Bldg 62 (second building from the lobbly, third building from the pool area/beach) in a second floor corner suite. Previous reviews provided tips on which buildings and suites to shoot for but you know what? They are all good. Yes, buildings 60, 64 and 67 are closest to the pool area/beach but very few of these suites offer good views of the pool and/or beach. It's not a big place as you can walk from the lobby down to pool/beach in 5-10 minutes. Our room had very nice furniture, good air conditioning, a great bathroom with jacuzzi tub and separate rain shower, a well stocked mini bar and a flat screen TV with a good choice of channels. We never saw our room steward once but the service was great - room made daily by lunch hour, mini bar filled daily and turn down service in the evening. We left several tips for the good service and received flowers and towel art in return.

Staff throughout the resort were fantastic. Lots of smiles and hellos. Few speak a lot of English but you can't fault them for that. I can't speak Spanish! All of the waiting staff know enough English to bring the food and drinks you want - what more can you ask for? Would especially like to thank Maria in the buffet and Don Pablo restaurant for her warm greetings and Marlene and Bianca around the pool. Whenever they saw our glasses near empty, they had another one at the ready!

Speaking of food, I suggest trying all the a la carte restautants you can. We emailed our choices to Customer Service the week before arrival and confirmation was in our room package upon arrival. We thoroughly enjoyed Don Pablo (our favourite), Portofino, Maiko and El Meson restaurants. The Garden Grill was OK. Only had the buffet dinner our first night - selection was good and the food was good. We just prefer to be served. Surprisingly, the house white and red wines were quite good. Had all of our lunches close the pool/beach at Las Brisas snack bar. Another buffet but again, the selection and food was good. Check out what they have on the BBQ each day - quite a variety including chicken, fish, beef, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.

We spent a lot of our time around the pool which is a change for us. Why? It was quiet as there were no kids (sorry kids) and we met a lot of nice couples. Don't get me wrong - the beach is fantastic but just found the chairs a little too close together. Also, it was a little windy which made for some pretty good waves which my wife isn't comfortable with. If you enjoy walking the beach, you have two options. If you head for the water and turn left, you'll find the Hard Rock Casino about 20-30 minutes away. If you turn right and go about 20-30 minutes, you'll come upon a grouping of vendors selling all the usual tourist stuff (beware the knockoff cigars). Take some money and bargain hard!

Overall, it was an amazing vacation. We travel a lot but have never gone back to the same resort because we want to explore options. However, we will gladly make an exception in the case of Bahia Principe Ambar.

Room Tip: I wouldn't worry too much about location. There are 11 buildings in total in 3 rows (max. of 4 b...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Greg,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed an amazing stay thanks to our good a la carte restaurants, nice location of rooms, fantastic staff, and the good pool. Maria, Marlene and Bianca, will appreciate your acknowledgments.

You are welcome to contact us for your next visit in order to prepare all the details to provide you another wonderful stay at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection.

We are grateful to know that you are going to make an exception coming again to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

DGREAT1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This year was our 4th times and all we can say is .... it is hard to beleive but they gotten better. !!! wow what a trip again the food was fantastic, the employees.... sorry our brothers and sisters treated us just like familly. The place was super clean and everyhting was perfect. the made, the beach, i dont understand how people would writte anything i mean anything negative about this resort.

The only unpleasant moments we experienced were from other travelers that basicaly forget the basic rules of politeness and respect in their country of origine. they smoke were they are not suppose to, but in line at the buffet. it seems that the only way they can have fun is by abusing alchool and sceaming their head off and be rude.

We would like to thank Idelin, Yaniri and Christian just to name a few for welcoming us in their beautifull country again and making us forget our cold miserable winter for a while and treating us like fammily. We appreciate everybody for their commitment to an impecable customer service and are counting the 51 weeks left before we go back.

See you next year again my brothers and Sisters.....

Dear repeat customer,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your loyalty and fidelity. As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. It is thanks to guests like you, that our Company has reached the success and gained prestige through the last years.

Idelin, Yaniri and Christian will be happy to learn that you recognized your top notch service.

We will love to have you once again next year and provide you another fantastic trip.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

This was an amazing place, we went there for 4 nights and it wasn't enough. Things to consider: this is an all adults resort, very relaxed and quiet, if you're looking
to party reserve their Bavaro branch, same complex, younger crowd, I'm in my 20s but I seek the quiet. I like reading in the beach and had no problems getting chairs at any time, there was always a spot, but if you want good ones get there early. The buffet was delicious every day, we had reservations to some a la carte but we didn't even go one time. If you know your drinks, you wouldn't complain about it, my companion had mixed drinks like coco loco and piña colada, I mostly had neat drinks, porto, frangelico, single malt, they had it all! Ok, the language 'issue' I had no problems since I speak the language, but they speak spanish there, not English, don't be so cruel if someone couldn't understand you, my friend was so happy to try to speak Spanish, she even learned a few phrases! Also, most people are from Russia, then Germany, France and canada. Other than that, everything is fantastic, the people are so nice, I had great conversations with some guys that worked there, the beach is flawless and pool is pretty awesome and full of happy people, and you should take one of the tours!.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Posts such as yours motivate us to continue striving towards excellence. For all our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar team is wonderful to read that we were able to fulfill your expectations. Thank you for highlighting the good aspects you mentioned such as flawless beach, delicious buffet, and the amazing place this is.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts!!

Greetings from Punta Cana,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!