“Very good on the whole...but unfortunately some very disappointing aspects” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #12 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very good on the whole...but unfortunately some very disappointing aspects”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel from 10 September 2013 for 11 nights.

THE GOOD:

THE FOOD
The food on the whole was very good. We absolutely adored the Don Pablo restaurant! Very impressed with the professionalism and friendliness of the staff and the food was simply out of this world.

We also loved the beach buffet situated next to the Portofino restaurant (shout out to Francisco who was truly amazing) and the Lobby buffet. The Portofino and Maiko restaurant were.....ok. Room service was also delightful!

THE STAFF
Overall the staff were very friendly. I want to say a massive thank you to Bianca who served me drinks all day at the pool ("Coco Loco por favor!") . She is a credit to this hotel. Also thank you to Francisco, Marcos and Meldy who went above and beyond for us. Nathan our tour operator was also excellent and should be commended for his excellent customer service.

THE SURROUNDINGS
The beach and the gardens are truly out of this world. Loved them. Paradise. Also enjoyed the party on the beach.

THE BAD:

THE ROOM
The room was nice and spacious but very dark (almost like a cave) with very poor lighting and a very strange musty smell. To look at it was nice but I could never properly settle in there. The worst was the smell from the drain in the shower. It was sickening. We had to ask for the drain and shower to be cleaned. When the shower was cleaned, it didn’t make a huge difference to the smell. The mini bar was very poorly stocked and we had to ring up about 5 or 6 times to get the mini bar stocked again. Sometimes it could take up to two hours for them to bring drinks. This was very frustrating.

THE LOBBY
The entertainment here was pretty rubbish and the air conditioning really left much to be desired. We are in our late 20s but past the 'party in Ibiza' stage and the entertainment and humidity of the lobby had pretty much the same effect as a sedative! Fortunately we met some great people and had a laugh.

THE SHOPS
The prices are astronomical and we were harassed constantly when visiting the shops at the Bavaro section. It was very intimidating. Is there really any need? This put us off and meant we purchased nothing there. Fortunately we arranged a shopping trip with out tour operator and picked up some goodies.

HASSLE AT THE POOL
There were people around the pool asking if sun bathers wanted photos with a monkey on a lead or with some parrots. The photos could then be purchased later on. I found this absolutely disgraceful and quite disturbing. Ambar – please stop this. I felt very uncomfortable and sorry for these animals.

THEFT AT THE LOBBY
This was the WORST part of our trip.

Whilst we were waiting at the Ambar lobby for our transfer to the Bavaro so that the coach could pick us up to take us to the airport, my boyfriend accidentally left his new Ray Ban sunglasses on the table. I have a photo of him sitting at the table with the sunglasses on there. He realised he had left them on the table after 20 minutes. When we returned to the table they were gone.

The staff at the lobby were frankly a disgrace. Not helpful in any way whatsoever and very shifty. As it was around lunch time, and all but a few of the hotel guests were in the lobby (most being by the pool / beach), I have fair reason to believe that a member of staff took them. After our friendliness, patience and tips, truly shame on you to the person who did this. Yes it was our fault for leaving them but please trip advisor visitors – beware. When a member of staff gets the opportunity, they won't hold back at this place. We plan to take further action.

OVERALL (Attempting to leave behind my anger at the disgraceful theft) – A beautiful hotel with food on the whole being very good and staff on the whole going out of their way to help. HOWEVER work will need to be done on rooms and the training of some staff to ensure this hotel does not go dramatically down hill. I very much enjoyed the hotel but I won’t be returning.

Room Tip: Some spanish phrases come in very handy...the staff really appreciate the effort. :-)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination.
Please be assured that your comments have been share with the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned

We would like to let you know that we take our guests´ observations into great consideration with the aim to reinforce the quality of our services. We cannot tell you how deeply sorry we are for this unfortunate experience that you have made here with us. We are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction, since their opinion is very important to us. Our main goal strives in having a great ambiance to satisfy our guests' requirements; we regret very much that we were not able to fulfill your expectations this time.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.

Claudia Adames,
Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Having been to Bahia Principe Akumel in Mexico last year and having loved it beyond anyplace we have been to we decided to take our honeymoon at another Bahia Principe hotel and picked the Ambar in Dominican Republic.

We returned yesterday and we had an amazing time, staff, food, hotel everything was amazing (only thing I would say is the A La Carte restaurants (bar the French one) we found very much underpar with the Mexican resort which was outstanding). Other than that the buffet and snack food was amazing and variety of drinks we couldn't fault.

As we wanted to see more of the complex we did go to the Bravo area for entertainment and drinks in the evening. the staff were always helpful and especially Yajaira in the lobby bar in Bravo should get a special recommendation she was always very attentive to me and my husband and always bought us anything we wished for. Also Angel (I think that is right) in the bravo bar was a good friend to my husband.

We did notice that the American clientele were better treated but we summarised this as being that they tip a lot and are very loud so being british maybe we need to be a bit more vocal !

Beaches were glorious, pools were good and clean couldn't actually fault it.

Highly recommended would go to a Bahia Principe anywhere

Dear Sally,

We have shared your nice comments with the entire staff at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection. They will be happy to know that their efforts in making sure that our guests have a good vacation are appreciated. It is a great compliment to read that you encountered an excellent service during Your honeymoon in Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Kind regards,

Oxfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Having just returned today from 14 days at this hotel, we are a little disappointed.
We chose this hotel as it was for adults only & was listed as 5 star, I could only rate this hotel as 3.5 to 4 star at best, we decided to go all out & book the First Choice Premium Seat upgrade & taxi transfer, which was a little better than the normal economy seating & the bus, we had priority check in at Gatwick, extra luggage allowance, on board welcome drinks, a good (for airplane food) 4 course meal & complimentary drinks on the flight, which was on time & a good flight.
On arrival at Punta Cana the taxi was summoned & we were taken direct to our hotel, (as we thought), the taxi dropped us off at the main hotel on this complex the Bavaro, which we were not informed about, as no tour rep was around, after some confusion & best part of an hour wasted we were told "Oh you are not at this hotel" but at the AMBAR, so an internal transfer was arranged, (apparently every body is dropped off at the Bavaro & transferred internally, but no one bothers to tell you this), any way we got to the AMBAR & we were checked in with a low floor room, but the rooms are a bit dated & could do with a face lift & updating, but were extremely clean & spotless, (I did send the hotel an e mail prior to arriving with some of these concerns as reported on trip advisor in the past but the hotel did not reply or acknowledge my email).
The entire hotel was spotless & you could shave in the reflection from the floor, the food was & can only be described as excellent, with a choice to suit any taste,
There was no information in the room about the hotel, as to where the restaurants are or the times of meals etc. & at the welcome meeting the next day we were not given any information either, & the rep just told us about the excursions.
We did comment to the rep about the lack of information & his reply was "yeah it has been said before" but nothing has been done to rectify this
We mostly dined in the buffet, we did book the Asian al a carte, but again no body explained this restaurant is at a sister hotel the Esmeralda & you need an internal transfer to & from unless you fancy a fairly long walk, which my wife could not manage.
We also dined at the Mediterranean & the Don Pablo but for us by far the best was the Mediterranean (but every one to their own taste)
The pool was fine & the pool bar was OK if you were prepared to tip for every drink you wanted, by far the best service we had was from Bianca, on of the servers around the pool, (hotel management please pass on our gratitude to Bianca, & yes we did tip her because she did not expect it & hover over you at every drink she delivered to us), As for the guest services where you need to book for any al a carte meals, be prepared to tip or you will be told all al a carte's are full & no spaces were left, we were told this & directly we left the guest service desk & couple requested a reservation & after a few green backs were slid over the desk, hey presto they got a booking for the very next night.
The other criticism we had was the mini bar was supposed to be restocked daily & on 4 days we had to contact "express service" to get it restocked, & although an ice bucket is provided in the rooms, you have to ring up & request some ice to be delivered, perhaps a few ice machines dotted about may help, as the mini bar fridge struggles to cool drinks enough.
You need to get out early & leave your pool towels on sun beds that have shade or else they are all taken, the hotel does leave a note on every sun bed "do not reserve sun beds with towels & not occupy them or the towels will be removed", but as the hotel does not enforce this request, if you can't beet em join em"
Would I go there again, no not for 2 weeks certainly (10 at a push), would I recommend it yes if you want this sort of break.
Hope this may help

Room Tip: Depends on whether you want to be near the pool or the main lobby, blocks 60, 61 are near the pool...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Customer,

We sincerely appreciate your comments as they are very important to us and show us the aspects to which we must pay attention in order to further improve our services.

Rest assured that your comments have been communicated to management.

Forward to welcoming you on a next stay and a chance to change the bad perception that you were able to carry any of our hotels.

Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The staff in this resort truly know how to please, they were extremely attentive and sweet. They made our stay absolutely perfect. Thanks to the Ambar swim up bar bartenders Elvis and Marcos, they were so much fun

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Jac,

We feel very proud to read that we have provided you an amazing experience.

Thank you for mentioning our team working who makes this Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection the most charming for our distinguished customers. Please be assured that your great observations will be forward to Elvis and Marcos

Looking forward to seeing you for your again All-inclusive luxury hotels on Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Always at your disposal,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I just booked my return trip to this amazing resort and will be travelling from October 27 to November 1. This will be my third time staying at the Bahia Principe. First time was in the Punta Cana Royal Golden section and second time was in the Ambar section. We really wanted to try the Esmeralda section this time but couldn't find availability. Can't wait to experience the Bavaro for the first time.

Everyone always comments on the staff, food, pool, bars, beach, and cleanliness and It's true, all of those aspects are superb! But I don't think the Animation staff get enough credit. This resort is always buzzing with excitement and this is do to the high energy and well organized activities that are arranged by the animation staff. From morning right until 2am there is always multiple types of activities happening.

I am an established DJ and Entertainer in Toronto and really appreciate good entertainment when I see it. During my stays I made friends with Dj Pecos and Dj John. These two gentlemen are responsible for the overall music and entertainment on all the sections. After becoming friends with Pecos and John I was givin the opportunity to DJ at the resort Disco as well as the pool party. I played for 4 nights during my last trip and each night was incredible. The resort disco is the perfect size and was always packed with people from all over the world. Those 4 nights were without a doubt some of the greatest nights of my Dj career and would not have been possible with the assistance of the animation staff.

I was the first ever International DJ to play the resort and will be returning to play again in a few weeks. If you happen to be on the resort make sure to come check me out on October 30 & 31 (Halloween) at the resort disco. I would love to meet you!

Next time I hope to stay in Esmeralda but for now I am looking forward to my Bavaro experience. Remember the animation staff when thinking of tips as they really work hard to keep you entertained all day!

I travel and play on at my own expense, that is how much I love this place!

Hope you enjoy your stay!

@DJMikeVibe

• Stayed September 2013
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Mike,

We are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program, especially because of our great animation team, It is a real pleasure to know that in this great Resort you experienced a wonderful trip.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana

Regards from Dominican Republic,

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

It's all as you wish for. Take care you get a room in a pool/beach area when you arrive and tip well.

Make reservations for the á la carte restaurants in the first days, they're inclusive so everyone wants to go. Recommend Don Pablo and the mediteranean.

The buffet food can be even more tasty than the restaurants sometimes.

Overall: would stay there again.

Staff: excellent service, but you need a bit of spanish of you talk to the maid.

Value: best

• Stayed September 2013
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Cristian,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your last stay in Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection. It is great to learn that you could enjoy an excellent service.

It will be a pleasure to cater you once again in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Warm greetings,

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I came here last year and stayed in the Punta Cana resort. This year I stayed in Ambar. I enjoyed Ambar not having children screaming. I will compare and contrast the two.

Room: the rooms seemed fairly similar in size. The bathroom in Ambar was much bigger and nicer. There was a separate shower and the toilet is in a little cove. There was no curtain around the tub and I found that a bit odd. The beds were decent in comfort and I didn't notice a difference there. The "mini bar" was stocked with 3 mini bottles of liquor and that's it. Granted they replenish it everyday but. It a lot of variety. Luckily I'm not a drinker.

I thought we were supposed to have a butler but I never saw him. We only got turn down service once in our 6 day stay.

Buffet: I found that I enjoyed the food served in the buffet at the Punta Cana hotel better. The selection was better and the taste was better. Ambar did feature things like lobster and crab legs on their Gala night but there was still much left to be desired. At one point we went back over to Punta Cana to see what they had and the food looked better and tasted better.

Restaurants: the best one by far is Don Pablo the French restaurant. The Japanese restaurant Maiko is so so. The Asian restaurant Takara left a lot to be desired though the appetizer buffet was the best part.

Drinks: if you are looking for "American beers" they are not included in the inclusive price. You can find then in the bars over in Pueblo Principe. Be careful there because the drinks have extra charges if not in the inclusive package. I am not a drinker but the non alcoholic drinks offered are not bad. The piña colada is the best of all of them. The milkshakes are not what we are used to here in the states and not enough flavor or sugar.

Beach: there is a section marked adults only for Ambar guests and there are people constantly cleaning the lounges as well as a waiter walking around getting drink orders. It is much quieter there but even close by on the non-exclusive side it was quiet up to a point. There are many topless women so if you are American prepare yourself. You will see all shapes and sizes in bikinis so don't feel bad about how you look.

Spa: we did a spa treatment last year and this year. Both were equally enjoyable. I do have a (pardon the pun) huge complaint. Not everyone is a size small medium or large. Why do you not have robes to cater to women of a larger size? This is incredibly frustrating and in a sense disrespectful. We deserve the same amount of accommodation and respect as a smaller woman. With as many large women I saw on the beach it baffled my mind. A tip for the plus sized gal in this situation, get a towel and place it across your front then put the robe on. The panties and brad they give may be a struggle. If you take the wrapper of the bra you can get an extra inch or two and it won't fly off.

Shopping: they want you to shop on the grounds but if you go just 10 minutes outside of the resort there is a market that you can get the same stuff for half the price. The reason for the mark up is the hefty fees vendors must pay to set up there. A bottle of sunscreen was between $12-58.

Entertainment: the entertainment in the evenings is in the Teatro Tropical between the Bavaro and Punta Cana hotels. It can leave a lot to be desired but I am an avid theatre goer so my expectations vary. I applaud the dancers for keeping their energy up in the heat. I would not have been able to do that.

LADIES BEWARE: Dominican men are attractive. They are also smooth talkers. One of the security guards took a liking to me and handed me a note that had his contact info and a "script" that he thought I was very beautiful and he wanted to get to know me. He probably had several of these written out. I tried to avoid him but he found me the next day. This time he tells me that he wanted to take me somewhere where we can talk and get to know each other. He then tells me that he wants to marry me and have a family with me. It made me chuckle. Some women may fall for that but I don't. I translated this as "I want you to get me into America and I will marry you just to make it happen." It's not that easy buddy. Anyways ladies beware.

TIMESHARE WARNING: if you see a person in a white shirt that says "privilege club" RUN! It is a push for purchasing a time share. They don't come out and tell you that but it is. They enticed us last year by offering a free gift. We went for the gift like most folks. They call that "moochers". Their goal is to take you and not let you leave until you agree to buy. Apparently they have upped the anty and are offering helicopter flights. I will give you a brief glance at what you are looking at.

They will approach you and say when did you arrive to get you engaged in conversation. They will arrange for you to be picked up in a golf cart and taken to the Exclusive resort. You will go down into the sales cellar (that's what I call it). A nice person will come over and ask questions about you to gather info before the pitch. They pitch you on being able to use any of the hotels whenever you want. If you say no they come back with questions and pressure. It's never ending. They remind me of a mlm sales pitch. If you are lucky enough for them to take no for an answer they tell you they have to have quality control come over to see if they did their job. Then QC proceeds to start another sales pitch and discounts. If you appear to not be moved you will be rudely dismissed and taken to the front.

It chews up about 2-3 hours and the gift is not worth it. Tell them you are leaving the next day or that you already went. Watch the first 30 minutes of the documentary Queen of Versailles

Conclusion: I do love the resort and amenities. There are improvements that are needed. They need to back off on the sales pitch. I will probably be back next year and probably stay in Ambar. I expect someone from the resort will give me a canned response and not pay any attention to the recommendations.

Jennifer

Room Tip: Corner balconies are bigger and king sized beds sleep better. Try to learn a few Spanish phrases. L...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We truly appreciate your feedback. Our guests´ opinions are very important for us. Please rest assured that we are taking your observations into great consideration and have been transmitted to the Management.

As you are one of our repeater guests your opinion is very important to us and whenever our special clients feel they are not receiving the treatment they are entitled to, we try to make our best effort to change that perception and regain their trust.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!