“Hello KELVIN....we miss you” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #10 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Brampton, Canada
“Hello KELVIN....we miss you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ambar from June 15th- June 29th. We had a fantastic time. We were very pleased with all aspects of this hotel. From the the moment we arrived we were greeted with fantastic staff. Teresa in the lobby was the first person to see us and offer us a drink, we found her so pleasant and happy after having just arrived. Our room was great, we were in building 66, which was very close to the lobby. My husband is very active and found the gym and daily volleyball to be right up his alley. We were pleasantly surprised by the variety of food that was available at the buffet daily We went on a day trip to Saona Beach with a catamaran and had a fantastic day. We did not actually go into the pool but spent everyday at the beach. All of the staff at the beach were fantastic, but....we have to give special mention to Kelvin as he made our whole trip. We needed to relax, and that's exactly what we did. we went to the bavaro a couple of times and enjoyed their buffett...as we met new friends and enjoyed their company there. Having never been to the Domican before, my husband and I are now planning next years trip to visit the Ambar again to enjoy ALL that it has to offer... HAD A FANTASTIC TIME...we tell everyone we meet to go to the AMBAR!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Client,

Rest assured that your wonderful comments will be forward to Kelvin. He will be excited to hear the he made your whole trip. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and we are glad to learn that you had a fantastic time with us.

We would be absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Best regards,

4,625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,114)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We returned from our trip four days ago. Thought I would grade the resort as I grade my students!
Check-In/Room assignment grade: "B"
I gave this section a grade of "B" because although check-in was smooth, we were only at the Ambar desk for about 5 minutes and were met with a cool cloth and tropical drink- the corner room we were assigned was a disaster. We are not that picky, We looked past the broken drawer on the dresser and even looked past the broken balcony door, but when there was no hot water, we called the front desk and asked to be moved. They quickly sent someone up to move our luggage which was great. When we got to the second room, the bellboy could not open the door with the key provided. He sent for someone else....He fiddled with the lock for another 10 minutes and then sent for someone else....he couldn't get the door open and ended up entering through another guest's room and all I can imagine is that he climbed from their balcony to open the door. Then they had to send someone up to change the entire lock.
After traveling for over 12 hours,,,,the last thing we wanted to do was wait another half hour for the lock to be changed. I guess if anyone, other than the bellhop would have apologized, it would have been okay. But no one acted as if this was any type of inconvenience.
Room grade: "B"
The rooms are large. I think they are starting to show their age a bit. Nothing is nasty, but just a little worn. The TV is the smallest I have seen in a hotel room. Our remote didn't work, but we didn't even call to complain. We were on the second floor of Bldg. 64.which was a nice location. The room was always cleaned at the time we requested (you fill out a card requesting a convenient time for cleaning) The air conditioning was great....nice and cool every day. The mini fridge didn't really keep things cold, but it was serviceable.
Beach grade: "A+"
Absolutely beautiful beach. Miles of sand and clear water. There are palm trees lining the beach so you don't see the usual resorts. The Ambar beach is kept beautiful. They constantly rake the seaweed. There are plenty of palapas, but the towel game is crazy if you want a front row. One morning we we up early (5:30 am) and decided to watch the sunrise on the beach. There were already people reserving front row chairs. So we ran back and got our towels and reserved one. Honestly we preferred a location in a few rows back though because of the strong breeze. There was good service on the beach if you wanted a drink, but someone else suggested that you bring a large cup with you and I would reinforce that suggestion. The cups are 10 oz and they really don't hold much! It is also easy to walk to the beach bar and get your own drink. The pool was a little loud for us, but there were a lot of people who seemed to be having a great time. They had Zumba and games. Not our thing,,,,really hate organized activities, but some people like them and I think they try to keep things going.
Service grade: "B"
The people you encounter daily such as wait staff, bartenders, maintenance and cleaning staff are absolutely amazing. They are always smiling and happy. Always greet you with "hola" and make sure that you are doing great. We always tipped the staff from housekeeping to waitstaff, but I think that everyone was treated the same, whether you tipped or not. I think you should tip the staff. They work very hard and definitely deserve it. We always asked for extra water and received it each night.
The only reason that I didn't give a better grade was that the front desk people are completely detached and seem to be annoyed by any problems (such as a room change request)
Also, upon check in we were not given bracelets and went an entire day without one. We didn't know that you needed them because this was our first all-inclusive. The front desk seemed really put out by this. It was their fault, but there was no apology even though we had to wait in line to resolve the problem. I really think that the waiters, waitresses, housekeeping and bellhops should train the front desk staff on customer relations!!!
Food grade: "B"
As I said, this was our first all-inclusive, so we can only compare it to food on previous trips. I thought the buffet was good. It isn't great and we never walked away saying something was "awesome" but we never walked away hungry either. The presentation is quite nice and the buffet is kept spotless and stocked. We tried three ala carte restaurants. The first was Don Pablo's and I know others have liked it, but we didn't think it was too good. I had a filet and my husband had bass. Not great, but maybe this is what all-inclusives are like...I don't know.
We also ate at El Olivo and this was my favorite. Not stupendous, but we both liked the food the best of the three. Garden Grill was nothing special. Lunch at the beach buffet was very nice and casual. Great guacamole at the beach bar buffet!
We still have not decided if an all-inclusive is our type of vacation, but I think that the Ambar does a good job of making sure that everything is as nice as possible for their guests. Train the front desk staff a little more and this would truly be a great place.
Overall Ambar grade: "B+"

Room Tip: Bring your own cup for drinks! Bldg. 64 for centrally located!
Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered.

We are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction, and please allow us to inform you that your opinion is one of our top priorities because they assist us with elevating our service standards.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Warmest regards,

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was my 5th time at Bahia Principe, and my third at Ambar.

I have always had a great time here. Great service, great food, great beach, and very safe.

The first night I was there, I felt the air conditioner wasn't working the best. I called Customer Service and they sent someone within half an hour, and then called again later that day to see how everything was. It worked perfectly after. Very quick response.

You may read reviews from people saying "The Ambar pool is boring, and doesn't have enough music"...This is a big resort, and if you want music, you move over to the other pool about a 4 minute walk away. The pool here was perfect, as I wanted somewhere a bit more quiet to relax and read.

So yes, Food is great, Employees are great, and weather was great.

Recommendations:
-Sometimes they ran out of beach towels, so we had to come back within half an hour. Not a big deal, but just something to be aware of.

For those coming from Toronto: Avoid SkyPark airport parking...We usually had a smoother time with Park-n-Fly, and the customer service is much better.

Will hopefully come back in the fall.

Met the Ambar manager (can't remember his name)..Give him my regards!

Sako from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sako,

We would like to thank you for your loyalty and for preferring Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

It is an honor to read that you had an amazing time once again in our premises. Feedback such as yours motivates us to continue striving towards excellence.

Please don´t hesitate to contact us prior arrival to organize all the details for your 4th visit to our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection.

Always at your disposal,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Ambar for a week and everything was so clean! From scrubbing the floor to wiping the moldings, the hotel was spotless! There was a wide variety of "a la carte" restaurants which you have to reserve in advance. I tried the Don Pablo restaurant but I did not think it was THAT amazing. The portion was small and the taste was just ok. The staff inside the restaurants, the maids and the reception were authentically friendly. However, the staff in the lobby were a little annoying. Everyday I've got someone who comes over to tell me "hey, I saw you yesterday and I told you to come back this morning for a free spa or a free tour"! They obviously work by commission! Overall, the stay was very pleasant and I would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad you find worth to highlight our authentically friendly staff, amazing cleanliness, and great food.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Kind greetings,

maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

My review is very late but I am sure this place is still just as awesome as it was last summer. The rooms were great, pool and beaches were great, food was average. My husband and I were there celebrating our anniversary and everything about this hotel was perfect, no complaints. I will mention (as others have) the resort is huge and can be a little tricky to navigate.

• Stayed August 2012
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read that everything in Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection was perfect for a memorable anniversary and just enough to create and awesome vacation.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Best regards,

Crestwood, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Beautiful upscale resort compared to the principe and Bavaro. adults only so quiet and relaxing. food was wonderful, beach was spectacular- soft and powdery. I am ready to go back. If I took my kids I would recommend staying at the Esmeralda which was very nice as well. You can go to all of the resorts but we didn't see the need after we strolled around the first day. My only complaint was the chair game with having to get up early to stake claim on a chair with your towel.... We have stayed at Gran Bahia several times in Cancun so the service in Punta Cana may not be as catering, but the beach and water made up for it!!

Room Tip: Any room would be recommended but recommend 3rd floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate you have taken the time to post a review. All your observations have been treated with great consideration.

Rest assured that we are already looking forward to have you with us again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Kind regards,

toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Very nice relaxing hotel, services was good, very friendly always smiling servers.Cleaners did a great job with cleaning our room in block 68, good location to the beach and pool, didn't get a corner room like we requested, but thats ok because the room was still good.We did get all our reservations, so that was nice. Food was good but found a lot of the meat was dry and rubbery, i did not like the lobster, but you will always find something to eat, the desert was good as well, to each their own i guess. Ended up with some sort of virus... which i'm still suffering with, even though i was careful, never used the water even brushed my teeth with bottled water. I did suffer stomach pain during the trip but since i brought alka seltzer, immodium pepto bismol, it was manageable. lots of mosquitos at night, which are hard to see, i got bit a lot the first night because i didn't use spray and mosquitos seem to love me. I brought deep woods off and used it from then on and didn't have a problem after that. Nightly shows were good and we did the outback safari excursion which was definitely a must, bought some coconut oil and cocoa which is cheaper than the hotel. if you walk to the venders down the beach where you will find souvenirs cheaper than the hotel prices but is kind of a far walk. All in all the hotel was a good choice for some much needed r and r, probably won't return because we like going to different places.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your last stay in Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection. It is great to learn that you could enjoy a relaxing stay together with us.

It will be a pleasure to cater you once again in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Warm greetings,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar? Share your experiences!