“Great First All-Inclusive Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #15 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brooklyn, New York
“Great First All-Inclusive Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our visit at Ambar and we were thoroughly impressed with the Ambar resort. After reading all of the forums about Punta Cana and this resort specifically, we felt really ready to get the most out of our experience. Though we heard it was a large resort, we really didn't understand the magnitude until we started moving around. Thank goodness for the trolleys :) We took them to our restaurants and to visit all of the shops around the resort, it really felt like its own city. On the food front, I definitely recommend booking all of your reservations up front, when we arrived we were handed our envelope with reservations - easy breezy. We did make one change because one of the restaurants was wrong but that was easy too. Our best meals, based on great food and great service was Garden Grill and Bella Italia, so much so we tried to go twice. We went to Don Pablo and was disappointed in both the food and slow service. El Olivo was okay but nothing to get excited about. We enjoyed the Palmyra (the open seating dining) for breakfast and for the seafood Thursday night, definitely nice selection. We always found something to eat when we went to breakfast, lunch or dinner and would overall give the food and service very good marks. We are NY'ers so we are used to great restaurants/service, but we were pretty happy with everything. On the beverage front, the drinks were flowing, we definitely hit the mark there, definitely have the mamajuana!!! In the evenings, we would have drinks, listen to the band and use the free wifi to surf the net and skype. On the pool/beach front, the beach was so nice and private, we jumped waves for a few hours and then relaxed on the beach loungers. There is really no beverage service at the beach so one you have your fill of sand, move to the pool. They have the swim up bar and waiters that come around with fruit skewers. Every day we were up by about 8 am to grab a shady spot by the pool, anything later and you didn't have much choice about being in the sun. On the atmosphere front, the resort was BEAUTIFULLY lanscaped, it was a pleasure to just stroll around like everyone has said. Our room, Villa 60 3rd Floor, was in a great location to the pool and the beach. The room was nice and the bed was very comfy. The bathroom was large with separate shower, bathroom and jetted tub (definitely use). This really is an adults resort and I would say that only a few couples (3 out of ten) were early 30's like us, the resort I think had more couples in their last 40's/50's on average. It is mainly quiet with a little bit of fun. If you are looking for relaxation, you will find it here. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 60 which was right by the pool and the beach. We stayed n the 3rd floor and had a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Client,

We feel happy to learn that in your first all-inclusive experience you enjoyed a great time and to read that you were impressed with the services in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. Also, it is gratifying to know that you loved the great food and service in the Garden Grill and Bella Italia restaurant, and, of course, to hear that you liked our typical Dominican drink mamajuana.

Looking forward to seeing you and your husband soon!

Always at your disposal,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,640)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Monroe, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I did a lot of research prior to picking this resort, so I didn't have many surprises. This was our 4th All Inclusive, but first trip to the Dominican, so I did have something to compare it to.

THE AIRPORT: The bag guys are pretty aggressive in trying to carry your bags, but be assertive and tell them you have it unless you don't mind the small tip. We took a taxi from the airport and with another couple splitting the $38 charge, it was pretty inexpensive. Taxi took us directly to the resort (the Bavaro section). We were quickly transported to the Ambar section where we were told that our rooms wouldn't be ready until 3:00pm (the local time was approximately 2:45). We were told to grab a bite in the buffet and that our rooms would be ready when we finished, which they were.

THE RESORT: Overall, HUGE. The cleanest resort I've ever been too. Someone was constantly cleaning, painting, scrubbing, etc. I read one reviewer say you could eat off the sidewalk, it was just that clean. The lobby area was very nice, but it did close too early each night for an Adults Only resort.

THE ROOM: Prior to our arrival I requested a 2nd Floor, Bldg 64 room (based on the reviews I read here). We were assigned to Bldg 65 and to the 3rd floor which wasn't a problem for us, but definitely could be a problem for anyone having problems walking stairs (there are no elevators). Rooms are just what you see here, very nice, good size, with nice, well appointed bathrooms. The beds were a little hard, but overall, the rooms were nice.

FOOD: One of my favorite eating spots on a prior vacation was the beachfront grill and the snack bar didn't quite take the place of this. They didn't let you take plates from the snack bars to the beach area, etc. No place to get a late night snack other than room service (late night snacks was one of our favorite parts of a prior AI vacation). We made it too 3 ala cartes and the Steakhouse was by far our favorite. I was surprised that the ribeye was so good. I found the BBQ restaurant to be just okay. Buffets were good and staff very attentive. Constantly cleaning tables, almost removing plates too fast and kept our glasses full. After the first two days, the waitress knew our drink order, group size and desired table location. We laughed the day we went and she turned and said, "somebody is sitting at your table. You really couldn't go wrong if you just ate at the buffets each night, but I like to relax and be waited on every once in awhile.

POOL/BEACH: Fantastic, beautiful. You will have to get up early if you want a prime spot, but other than that, both are fantastic. As has been repeated here often ,the pool closed too early, but we typically stayed in as long as we wanted and was only once reminded that the pool was closed at 6. I'm not a drinker, but I was led to believe the swim up drinks may have been too strong. The day I watched the group leave the pool and scare the mess out of me thinking that one of them was going to fall into the previously drained in-pool lounging area, convinced me that perhaps the reports of strong drinks was no understatement (the guy didn't fall, but his accidental reenactment of the Matrix had me shook).

OVERALL: I'd highly recommend this resort. Very professional staff. The consensus amongst my group was, we prefer the friendly approach of the resorts we visited in Jamaica to the professional approach that we encountered here. I'd take the 4 star warmth over the 5 star luxury, but that's just my preference. One last thing, the language barrier causes a little work with special orders or anything out of the ordinary, but nothing my high school Spanish couldn't fix.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 60 and 67 are closer to both the beach and the pool area. All rooms are within 2...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar for your first trip to the Dominican Republic.

It is wonderful to know that you mention the good aspects, such as clean resort, nice room, fantastic pool, beautiful beach, and professional staff. It is pleasing to read that your favorite restaurant was the Steakhouse and that you were surprised with the good rib eye.

We thank you for recommending us and we hope to welcome you once again!

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I just came back from our week long trip at the Ambar hotel. We had a fantastic time, and it was just what we were looking for. For reference, we're ages 27 and 30 respectively.

Room: We had room 62-101 which is a corner suite. EXTREMELY spacious and equidistant from the pool and the main lobby where the buffet is located (about 2-3 min walk to each)

Beach: I've been to many different beach locations - and this was by far one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen. The water is CRYSTAL clear. When we were there, it had the perfect amount of choppiness to make it a fun beach day.

Pool: We strictly stayed at the Ambar pool, however, I've heard from other guests that the other pools have a lot more going on. We didn't want to deal with splashing kids, so we stayed at the adults only section.

Drinks: The lobby bar has a special drink of the day which you must always try. They also have the strongest drinks on the entire resort (pool bar drinks are super weak, unless Yunior hooks you up! )

Food: This is where my rating drops one star. We were definitely able to find something to eat everyday at the buffet - but the a la cartes were extremely disappointing. I talked to various other guests, and I think your opinion of the food depends on what you are used to eating at home. We're from NY and are big time foodies. We went to Don Pablo and the Mediterranean restaurant (both were huge disappointments). Although I did hear that the steak was very good at Don Pablo - but the service was extremely slow. Again - I don't want this to deter future visitors, because there is SO much variety / quality food at the buffet that you will surely find something to eat! And a huge plus, Thursday is seafood night. Lobsters galore!!

All in all, it was a great trip. We met some amazing people on our vacation and truly had a relaxing vacation. Will definitely return to Punta Cana at a later time!

Room Tip: Corner suites are huge
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read that you were delighted with the crystal water or our beach, and the variety and quality of food at the Palmyra buffet. We are glad to hear that you had a fantastic and great trip in our premises.

Thank you for sharing your observations on TripAdvisor which we will take in the highest consideration. For all of us it will be a pleasure to cater you once again in Punta Cana!

Warm greetings,

Vernon, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is my 2nd time at Bahia Principe Ambar. The hotel, staff, beach and all amenities are exceptional. Two staff members that really stood out to me were Maurice who was my butler and did an exceptional job taking care of me. And Yessenia who was the supervisor of the waiters. These individuals really made an impact on my vacation and took great care of my husband and I. They both ensured we were having a fabulous time and whenever we needed anything they made sure we got it right away. Thanks to both of them and the great service they provided I will be coming back to Ambar for a 3rd time.

The entire staff at Ambar is welcoming and always smiling. They all provided exceptional customer service and and took great care of us. The hotel was very clean and all landscaping was taken care of very well. Food and the buffet at the restaurants was delicious. Always fresh and a great variety. The maids that took care of my room did a great job by laying fresh flowers and delicious chocolate on my bed. I also ordered a scented pillow every night before bed which was brought up by my wonderful butler, Maurice. Ambar is a wonderful vacation destination and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Mariola,

Maurice and Yessenia will be astonished with your wonderful acknowledgments and to learn that their great service encourages you to come back to our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar.

We appreciate that you have recommended us as a wonderful vacation destination and choosing us as your preferred hotel.

In the name of our General Manager and all staff members we would like to thank you again for vacationing with us and we hope to cater you once again in Punta Cana.

Warm greetings,

Wirral, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

stayed at Ambar from 4-18 May 2013, and thoroughly enjoyed stay. Everyone has different views and opinions on holiday, so I will keep as factual as possible with a couple of "opinions"

1, Arrival & check-in- prettty quick, with welcome drink & then porter took our bags to room 60205- great location -pool & ocean view (I had emailed ahead asking for a sea view).
2. Room in my opionion great, however, just as we arrived the pool zunba started & my partner wanted a quieter room in case he wanted an afternoon nap ( it was important to him !). We went to reception & spoke to a lovely lady, Digna, who was suprised at our request but said come back tomorrow & she would see what she could do. True to her word she offered us a room further away from pool, but on checking, it was a corner room which was huge but I preferred the first room, as this had no sea view. We thanked her for trying, she said we could move the following Tuesday to room 60301, which was a corner room in the same villa as our original room, but away from the pool with sea view- perfect !- excellent service

Our maid was Marguerita, who spoke little english, but was always smiling and did a great Job, and we did manage little chats- try & chat with all they staff, in general they are always friendly.

Mini bar in room, generally well stocked, we received turndown service most nights, with chocolates, distinct lack of towel art on beds- in fact non existent, We stayed in the GBP in Mexico last year & towel art was every day, It does not spoil holiday but is a nice touch if you get it.
Bathroom/shower fine. We did not use bath so cannot comment, Clean towels every day,

Restaurants- We never had any issues in the main buffets or pool side buffets, some odd choices of food, especially at breakfast , but the hotel has to cater for all tastes- you cant please all the people all of the time.

Main Lobby- very relaxing, clean and elegant.

Evening entertainment in Ambar lobby; low key, occasion singer but in general a place to chat/relax. Louder entertainment over at Bavaro/ Punta Cana Lobby areas (free & quick trolley ride to get there)

Drinks- plenty & good quality

Grounds- Immaculate- look out for the Banana trees in the grounds.

Beach- clean white sand- turquoise waters

Pool- warm water, no issues with beds, could do with more shaded areas, as it gets hot !!

Getting around- trolleys frequent & site plans all over the site- you wont get lost, just enjoy the detour !

A la Carte restaurants- we booked day after arrival & got majority of what we asked for, service in these varied from excellent to poor (my opinion) By far the worst was the Bella Italia- staff looked dis-interested and left us waitng for 10 mins before they brought us a menu and then the food was lacking in presentation, All other a la cartes we booked were head & shoulders above this one. Every restaurant has wonderful decor.

Every business needs well trained and dedicated staff and Ambar has those in abundance.

This operation runs so well, and you need to stop a while and look around, what make the place "tick"...... the gardeners, the security patrols. the trolley drivers, the cleaners in the dining room, constantly & unobtrusively keeping the food areas free from spillages, the maids cleaning the public areas, your room maid, The guys cleaning the beaches, the drinks waiters (men & women). The waiters in all the restaurants. The reception staff, the managers, who are always on the "shop floor". The chefs, the maintainece men , the life guards in the beach. the porters, entertainment staff........ and I am sure many more, who go unnoticed.

All in all a great holiday !!!!

Lastly a couple of my experiences........

Do the Jungle Safari- fantastic day & if you travel with first choice see if you can get on "George & Cesars bus- you wont be disappointed. $95 dollars each- worth every cent

Manatee Park- Give it a miss not worth $35 dollars each.

Tv in room- few english speaking chanels- mostly American TV/news
Internet- free in reception- a bit slow
charged for in room- maybe should be included these days & do away with the Tvs in room ( just an observation).

Enjoy the experience we did !

Room Tip: Villa 60 great location close to pool & beach, short stroll to Ambar lobby
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

It is an honor to know that our staff had provided our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Erie, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

A group of 10 of us visited the Ambar resort from May 7th through May 16th. We had such a relaxing and fun time! We did have a few ups and downs, but for the most part, the trip was outstanding!

I had the trip booked for about 7 months. I did extensive research of the Ambar resort before choosing it. The last trip I booked was last September to Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. I knew everything about the resort before arriving, because of the resort's phenomenal E-Concierge. I consider the E-Concierge a good friend to this day and I am so grateful for her assistance. In fact, when I found out that Ambar did not have an E-Concierge, I enlisted her help in finding a contact person at the resort. She was able to give me an email address, but it wasn't very helpful. I received an email back simply stating that I should contact them two weeks in advance of our trip. Needless to say, for a person who likes to know everything about where I am going before I arrive, this was disappointing.

Two weeks before our arrival, I emailed the resort as they requested. From my research, I knew exactly what rooms I wanted for our group. In addition, I had very detailed ala carte dinner reservations for every member of our group. A week later, I still had no confirmation from the resort that they received my request. My travel agent had a different contact at the resort, so he emailed him, and I emailed the resort again. My agent received an email stating that everything was taken care of and we should have no worries. A few days before we left, I received a confirmation directly from the resort that everything was taken care of.

Two members of our group actually arrived on May 4th, a few days before the rest of us. Upon their arrival, they were informed that their room was not ready. They decided to go for lunch, and they were perfectly fine with waiting a bit. However, they were placed into building 69. We had requested corner units in either building 64 or 67 (closest to the pool and beach). They did not receive a corner unit. Also, the resort had none of our dinner reservations, nor did they have the specific birthday requests (they place a banner on the door). This was extremely disappointing. As I had not yet arrived, I was scrambling to email everyone I could think of to make sure things were taken care of. That is when my friends who arrived early found Jorge Abreau. Let's just say that Jorge made our entire trip a memorable, joyous one! Once we found out what happened, we took our entire group under his wing and made sure we were all happy! All of our dinner reservations were made, when we arrived, he personally met us at the lobby and personally checked us in, and brought us to our rooms. We were all placed in building 64, which in my opinion, was the best location to be. Also, a few of us received corner units, which were amazing! I was happy to see a birthday banner on my door, also!

We went to the buffet a few nights for dinner, but most of the time, we had ala carte reservations. Our favorites were Bella Italia and the Garden Grill. Our most disappointing dinner was Don Pablo. The service was awful. We were only asked if we wanted drinks about 15 minutes after being seated, and didn't receive our main course until we had been sitting there (with empty drinks) for about 20 minutes. There were a few in our group ready to just walk out. The food was very good, but the portion sizes were extremely small. I would recommend skipping Don Pablo (this is the only restaurant where men are required to wear long pants).

The beach is AMAZING. The resort grounds were also AMAZING! Staff there were working around the clock keeping everything spotless. The beach was very silky to the touch and the water was extremely clear. This was probably the best beach I have ever laid eyes on! We went to the pool occasionally - however.... the guy that runs the pool bar (Marcos) has the worst attitude I have ever seen. Our entire group agreed. He always closed up the bar early and never had a smile on his face. Most of the time, we had force his attention for service. He should not be serving anyone.

We absolutely LOVED Victor! Once Victor was working at the lobby bar, but most of the time he would be at the beach bar. He always had a smile on his face and was so pleasant!

The rooms are outstanding! Very large! One thing we had a time with was finding outlets in the room. However - here is a trick! Pull out the dresser - you will find a power strip with plenty of room to plug in!

One other thing I would recommend - purchase wifi time for your room. Their is free wifi in the Ambar lobby, but I was never able to log in. I was told once it was because I have a Mac. I'm not sure if this is the case, but it was very frustrating. There are different options for wifi if you purchase it. I went with the 60 minutes for $8. This means that you are using actual minutes - it's not if you purchase it at 10:30 it runs out at 11:30. You could also purchase 5 days for $49 or 24 hours for $12. However, that expires exactly 24 hours after purchase - not actual minutes.

We did a few excursions while we were there - I think our favorite was Saona Island. Highly recommended!!! The only downside is that it took us almost 2 hours to get there. But, an awesome hour and a half trip on a catamaran, with rum and cokes and dancing! On the island, there is an island bbq, volleyball, swimming, or whatever you want to do! Then, a trip to a shallow pool to swim with starfish! Then, 45 minutes back on a speed boat. Amazing!

All in all, our trip was unbelievable. Certainly a trip of a lifetime!! But, honestly, I don't think this trip would have been as memorable without Jorge's help. He really is amazing and very good at his job. He should be commended!!

As I like to know everything about a resort before going, please feel free to send your questions to me. I will help if I can!!

Room Tip: Building 64 or 67, in a corner unit!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. We are sorry for the situation you experienced in relation to your requests.

We would like to thank you for commending Jorge, who made your entire trip memorable and outstanding. Compliments such as yours are appreciated by our employees and motivate them to create unforgettable experiences towards our guest.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Newburgh, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband, daughter and I enjoyed my 50th birthday at the Ambar May 12-17,2013. We enjoyed every minute we were there. The resort is massive. We were dropped off at the Bavaro lobby and asked to be taken to the Ambar. We were there within minutes. We checked in about 2 p.m. Our room wasn't ready so we had lunch and returned and waited just a bit longer. We had two rooms in building 68 on the third floor. Both rooms had birthday banners on the doors, free shirts, bottle of rum, fruit plate, and balloons in the rooms. The room was very nice and the maid did a great job cleaning. In fact she came twice a day and left chocolates in the room at night. We found if you leave the cabinet door open to the refrigerator, then your drinks would get cold. Everyone at the resort was very friendly and was smiling. Workers were dancing and singing most of the time. I never saw anyone not having a good time.

Pool and Beach: The pool was beautiful and clean. I don't even have the words to explain the beach. It was breath taking. Workers kept the Ambar section of the beach extremely clean and would even brush the sand off your lounger chair. We had great drink serve at the pool and beach. We never had an issue getting a chair at either area. We didn't even go to pool or beach until usually 10 a.m. and always found chairs with shade. We did buy some things from the beach vendors. They were all very sweet and nice people.

Food: We ate at the Bella Italia and Don Pablo, which were both exceptional. The lobby buffet was also very good. We usually ate lunch at the snack bar, which was also good. We tried room service twice. It came in about 15 minutes. Breakfast is definitely the best.

Bars: Lobby bar was especially the best. Victor and William were awesome bar tenders. Santa and Nataly were very personable and fun servers. We enjoyed the live entertainment in the lobby. We also saw the Michael Jackson show in the theater, which was a lot of fun. The bars at the different sections were definitely not as good as the Ambar's. The lobby, itself, at the Ambar was very beautiful. I forget to check in with guest services the day of arrival and went the next day and was still able to get the dinner reservations I requested a week prior.

Shopping: We went to the Pueblo Principe for shopping. We bought two hats, pendant and some souveniors. I thought prices were not too bad.

Overall: Loved everything about this place. We tipped the maid, bar tenders, servers, etc. They were always appreciative, but I don't think it really mattered one way or another. We just enjoy tipping as our service was exceptional. We knew some key spanish phrases but everyone spoke fairly good English. Also shout out to Felix at the lobby. He was so very sweet! Everything is so clean, well landscaped, and beautiful. We are going back in September.

We were never bothered by the "timeshare people" at all. They sent a note to the room asking if we wanted a free gift. We never checked on this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Client,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor. We are glad to learn that you had an exceptional dinner at our Bella Italia and Don Pablo restaurants. Victor, William, Santa, Nataly, and Felix will be motivated to know that their hard work and wonderful service is appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing you in September!

Always at your disposal,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!