You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #15 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“H&S”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Second time at GBP Ambar. Little piece of heaven. Great room and location. Close to pool and buffet. Food very good; most ala cartes very good too. Staff at Amber superb. Thanks to Yeyson for your attentiveness; thanks to Maurice for the scented pillows. Excellente!! All servers in lobby and pool area very eager to please. Nice to have the option of larger resort. Overall, wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: main floor, corner suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Hugo,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for specially mentioning our superb staff. Yeyson and Maurice will appreciate your excellent comments.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again in this little piece of heaven and provide you a wonderful vacation.

Regards from Dominica Republic!

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,348)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Well worth the price, had a big corner room facing the trees. Everything is kept so clean, from the beautiful beach area, the grounds, the rooms, restaurants, etc. Great service and the reception desk staff are always eager to please. It's a huge resort but the Ambar section is the nicest & quiet!

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to know that you consider that our Luxury Bahia Principe Amabar well worth the price for you and to read that you enjoyed a wonderful stay. Thank you for acknowledging our staff, who are always eager to please.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Best regards,

Kingsville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I'm not sure where to start because everything was perfect! Our plane didn't get in until late afternoon, but we had a very quick check-in and were at the pool before dinner for a quick swim and drink. Our room was gorgeous, clean and close to the pool (64000 building). Every night there was a theme night, our first night was "beach party night". There was music, dancing and frozen cocktails served in pineapples on the beach! The week continued with a different activity each night. I believe it was Yanette and Wandy who were in charge of entertainment and they did a super job! The food was fantastic. It was very fresh and abundant and there were several places you could eat at for breakfast and lunch, and even more for dinner with the a la cartes. We did eat at 4 a la cartes (my favourite was Takara at Esmeralda). However, the main lobby buffet was outstanding and had a different flavour flare each night. I should also mention that my husband emailed prior to our arrival to make a room request and to make a la carte reservations and when we arrived Leonardo had taken care of it all! The beach was gorgeous and impeccable and there were people raking it every few hours...Bahia had the cleanest beach of all the resorts! As important as all of this was in making our trip an unbelievably memorable one, I think the icing on the cake was the staff. They were the most genuine, generous and appreciative people I have ever met! Our favourite bar tender was Yunior. His contagious smile and sense of humour was amazing. He was very attentive and never let your cup empty. Desiree did a great job of serving the pool area...we would have never had to get out of our chairs to get a drink if it wasn't for the beautiful, hot sun forcing us into the pool! Dante was the supervisor/bartender of the lobby and pool bar and he did a terrific job along with Jogeny at the lobby bar. Wander and Ricardo were fantastic at El Olivio and I wish I knew the names of all the staff at the buffet, especially the girl that greeted us at the door with the beautiful smile:) My husband and I took many $1 bills, which they appreciated greatly, however no one stood around waiting to be tipped...EVER! I would go back in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: 60000 buildings are closet to pool and beach, however furthest from lobby and main buffet. You can h...
Dear Lindsay,

It is a pleasure to read that we have provided you a perfect trip, especially because of our genuine, generous, and appreciative staff. Leonardo, Yunior, Desiree, Dante, Jogeny, Wander, and Ricardo will be motivated to know that they have contributed in creating you an unbelievably memorable experience.

Looking forward to seeing you soon in a heartbeat!

Always at your disposal,

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Attentive staff and immaculate resort!
Loved having the adults only section with everything you need with the option and variety of the bigger resort.
We walked everywhere, it really is faster.
Highlight of trip with Desiree at the Ambar pool!
She brought us drinks without us even asking! She joked around and made it memorable! She was happy, cheerful and was even singing and dancing!
We will come back, next to me with the kids to enjoy the full resort!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Carrie,

Thank you for acknowledging Desiree, who will be very happy to learn that he was able to contribute in creating a memorable experience for you. Please be assured that it will be a pleasure to cater you once again, this time with your kids, and be able to enjoy the full Resort.

Looking forward to seeing you soon in this little piece of paradise!

Kind regards,

Cape Breton Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this resort twice and will no doubt return at some time in the future. We travel a lot and visit an all inclusive at least once a year and this is the most beautiful resort we have ever stayed in. Everything is spectacular, and we enjoyed being close to the beach and that the resort is all adult. A number of the a la cartes are good and the Don Ambar one is fantastic. The only complaint we have had is that we would like to see more entertainment early in the evening, both at the Ambar lobby bar and the lobby bars at the main resort lobby.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Scott,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the all-inclusive adults only program. It is a pleasure to our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar family to know that we have provided you a spectacular experience, and will no doubt to return in the future.

Your observations regarding entertainment in the evening have been share with the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing you soon at Punta Cana, Dominican Republic!

Warm Greetings,

Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We just got back last night from 6 days at The Gran Bahia Principe Ambar. First off, I spend from the day after Christmas until the morning of my trip reading the review posted of the hotel I have booked for my vacations and I luv to do this> I booked the Ambar based on all the wonderful reviews and info posted on forums.
My experience echos alot of the pros and cons posted in reviews as of late.
First off the most important things to me when I travel is BEACH, POOL and ROOM. The Ambar far exceeded my expectations on all 3.
The beach is gorgeous and clean!! It is private, no children running around. If you go the the area right behind the pool, it is more crowded and becasue it is the widest part of the beach, you could be far from the waters edge. My advice is to follow the wooded path and go to THE LEFT, past the scubba shack. Quiet and plenty of chairs. I never had to fight for a place on the beach as there always seemed to be plenty of chairs and palpayas in this area. And the beach waiters still come over here too. Its a very quiet beach so dont look for any entertainment, unless you make your own.
The pool is crystal clear, clean, beautiful and inviting. It is the centerpiece of the complex. Just beautiful. However, everyone is CORRECT in that the towel game is in full swing. This is a practice that will never change so if you cant beat em join em. however, one morning my hubby went out to get a seat and do some reading and saw security removing towels and items from chairs when placed before 8am.
The rooms are well appointed and clean upon arrival and check in. The bed is one of the more comfortable that I have had the pleasure of sleeping in. The bathroom was large. The shower stall itself left me a little claustophobic but the tub was nice. I emailed the hotel prior to my arrival and requested building 67, 3rd floor, facing pool and I got it. I did sent a second email after reading about all the "overbookings posted on tripadvisor" and essecially told them this would not be acceptable to me. But there were alot of people that did get placed somewhere else.
In the 5 full days we were there, the room only got cleaned 3 times. The 2 times they came to clean and it didnt get done was because it was 5pm and we were showering and getting ready for the evening. I had to go hunt down towels and ask for the mini fridge to get retocked several ties during the stay. I didnt mind the room not getting cleaned becasue it was my own mess but I guess I expected more in reading the previously posted reviews.
Also I heard alot about butler service. I never saw a butler nor did alot of other people. I dont know if this is a service that comes with the type of package you buy or what the deal was but we never saw anyone at all. So dont get your hopes up.
The grounds are incredible. I can not put into words how beautiful and well maintained this property is. I was just heavenly. The complex itself is HUGE!! Several properties into one. Reminds me of Disney World in the way it is set up. Very large but beautiful
Now to the average
average food....I agree that alot of items are repetative and remade into some casserol or dressed in gravy. The food was ok but like anywhere if you eat at the same place all week it gets boring. the ala cartes are another joke. I emailed them to set up reservations which they did only to find out they only booked just one of us and when we went to clarify it, they couldnt accomodate. So we ended up just once at Don Pablo and it was good.
I waited all week for the exceptional service I had read about for weeks but it was hit or miss. One time we got "forgotten" altogether. But I am willing to get up and get my own coffee and refill my wine glass but I also got the dirty look when I did it too. The squeaking wheels seemed to get the service and I am just not a squeaky wheel. So service is hit or miss at all the mealtimes and the same at the bars.
The liquor is also subpar. They do have a sweetheart of a girl go around after dinner with top shelf cordials and this was a nice touch but Im afraid they were watered down too.
The lobby was nice to sit and have "drink" and listen to music.
They also have 3 computers for guests to use free of charge and free wi fi in the lobby.
So I fear my review has gotten long winded...
To sum up, would I stay here again???? Sure...if the price was right. But I would check with the Magestic to compare prices first and not automatically book with the Gran Bahia.
Oh one more thing....The time share guys are BRUTAL!!! They told me that they work with Apple Vacations and Apple has a free girft for me to come and get in the morning. It was only becasue I read it on here that I needed to be aware of what was going on, otherwise I may have gone to the appointment. BEWARE of men in white polos nd glod and black lettering bearing gifts!!

Room Tip: Building 67 is closest to the beach and pool. 3rd floor is very quiet
Dear Elaine and Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. It is wonderful to know that we far exceed your expectations with the most important things for you when you travel: beach, pool and room. All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

We would like to cater you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Kindest regards,

Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I went to Gran Bahia Principe Ambar February 20-24 and it was not nearly long enough! We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary, so we had emailed the resort ahead of time to let them know this and also to make our dinner reservations for the time that we were there. They honored all of our reservations and they were in place upon arrival, eliminating any standing in line. When we arrived at our room, there was a "Happy Anniversary" banner across the door and when we walked inside, there were balloons, a fruit basket and a welcome package including rum and t-shirts. There were fresh hibiscus flowers adorning the bathroom and the king size bed. We did request a corner unit which they were not able to accommodate but it was not a big deal at all--the room was huge and had a beautiful balcony. I don't think there is a bad room in this whole section of the resort. We were within a few feet of the pool and just a stroll away from the most gorgeous, breathtaking beach I've ever seen. The staff worked so very hard and were always friendly and willing to help. The language barrier (they speak Spanish) could have been tricky for some people, so it helps that I also speak Spanish and we were able to communicate pretty well. The housekeepers did an impeccabel job every day and usually returned a second time to turn down the bed and place little chocolates on the pillows when we were away at dinner. We did tip them and left trinkets as others on this site had recommended. It is evident that they take great pride in their jobs--they even scrub the sidewalks! Everything is clean, clean, clean. The food was awesome with plenty of variety. Don Pablo was our favorite with Bella Italia our least favorite. The Japanese tepanyaki dinner was a fun experience and one I would recommend. Don't let negative reviewers worry you about the food--we are not picky eaters at all, so might be a little easier to please, but we were surprised at the quality and variety of food at buffet, room service, snack bar and a la cartes. Just wonderful. Drinks were great also. Merengues were my drink of choice and caused me to get a severe sunburn at the pool one day because I was too busy talking and making friends and overlooked going to re-apply sunscreen. Speaking of sunscreen, bring your own! The sunblock at the lobby shops cost .... wait for it .... $40!!! For the same kind you can buy at Target for $9.99. The all-inclusive was the way to go--you never had to bring any money with you anywhere and you could get everything and anything you wanted at any time of the day or night in terms of food and drink. The entertainment was limited at the Ambar ... karaoke contest and DJ was all we saw. There is a stage at Pueblo Principe and we did watch part of a circus show, but lost interest quickly and went on our way to do some shopping. It is geared more for families (other part of the resort, away from adults only). The vendors in this area are extremely pushy and overbearing. We walked through and looked at some of what they were selling and it was the same stuff you can find in the shops. Save yourself the headache and stay away from them! Beach was our favorite. Starting at about 8:00 am you begin to hear your neighbors' doors opening and closing as people head to the beach or pool to reserve chairs. You must turn in used towels to get fresh ones daily. This is done at the pool. Never did we have a problem with not being able to get new/fresh towels. If you don't reserve your chairs, by about 10:00 am, they are pretty much full. We got prime location right in front every day, but only because we were up early to get down and find our spots. It gets HOT on the beach, so finding a palapa or palm tree that casts some shade is a must! There is a bar right on the Ambar section of the beach and once again, there are hard working gals who trudge through the sand to take orders and deliver delicious drinks, always with a smile. They expect nothing, but even a dollar or two goes a long way. There are vendors who walk around the beach as well as excursion/tour operators looking to sell their services, but as long as you don't make eye contact they won't bother you. There was one gentleman that walked around and cut open a coconut for you to drink fresh coconut water from if you wanted. He did expect a tip. Just something fun to try. We spent all of our time at the beach and only went to the pool once or twice a day for a few minutes for a change of scenery. You could go to a pool anytime. When can you lay on a beautiful beach, listening to the waves, watching unique and interesting people from all over the world stroll along without a care in the world? It was a wonderful trip at an impeccable resort. I would highly recommend to friends, family and strangers. We hope to be able to return again someday and will stay much longer next time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar as your 10th anniversary destination. We are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program, which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon for a longer time to provide you a wonderful trip with the most gorgeous and breathtaking beach.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!