“A wondeful stay at a gorgeous 5 star resort!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #17 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Bryants Cove, NL
“A wondeful stay at a gorgeous 5 star resort!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Ambar during March 3-10. This was our fourth time to the Dominican Republic but our first time to Punta Cana. We had some reservations about this resort after reading some of the negative reviews but in the first few hours of arrival, I knew I was not going to be disappointed. This resort complex is huge and the Ambar is gorgeous…the nicest of the resorts I have been to (including the resort where I was married in Puerto Plata).

For those who have not visited this part of DR-Punta Cana is beautiful! comparing with Puerto Plata it is cleaner and more industrialized with new building/condo/housing. The airport is quite modern with duty free shopping etc. (i.e. Lacoste and even Wendy’s restaurant!).

Customs was a breeze!! very efficient both entering/leaving the country (again in comparison with Puerto Plata) and a bus destined for the Ambar Adults Only section of Bahia Principe was waiting to take us to our resort. Once on the bus, we were given an information package, which included room keys. We did not have to check-in, went straight to our rooms, and awaited the arrival of our luggage, which took no time at all!

Our room was on the 3rd floor in building #60 (beachfront) with a pool view…amazing! (we requested this upon booking). We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and so a fruit basket, a bottle of rum, and 2 t-shirts were in our room (very nice touch). The room was gorgeous with a very comfortable bed and a beautiful marble bathroom.

The food was out of this world!!...we mostly dined at the a la carte restaurants including the Mexican, Don Pablo Gourmet, Garden Grill (we heard the Italian was not very good). We had several servers…very professional….the main buffet was also very nice with choices to satisfy everyone. If you have IBS or stomach/digestive problems take Pepto-Bismol and other drugs with you (these cost a fortune on the resort!).

The Ambar section of the complex is quiet and basically shut down at 11:00 pm. We took the tram to the other resorts (Bahia Principe Punta Cana and Bahia Principe Bravaro) on the complex for a more lively time. The Pueblo Village is also great for entertainment, shopping, casino etc.

This part of the island is somewhat windy which was great to water/wind sports…the parasailing was great fun...the beach was clean and amazing….there wasn’t any organized activities on the Ambar side but if you went to the other sections of the beach and resort-seek and you shall find!..oh and a word of caution...for some reason I think this part of the island is hotter or the sun is more powerful...my husband had sun stroke...wear sunblock!! (take sun block and sun burn creams with you-very expensive on the resort).

The pool was a little too quiet and maybe in the future the staff will act on the many recommendations and play some music….reserving a chair pool side is difficult. We managed to get chairs early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

We believe in tipping…remember you are in a third world country and it’s a nice gesture. We tipped the house cleaner 5 dollars a day, left a separate tip in the mini bar, and tipped our servers at the a la carte restaurants. We did not want for much as everything was always well stocked. I also brought along school supplies, toiletries and as it was close to Easter, some chocolate bunnies for the children.

This is a beautiful resort! I have no regrets or disappointments and look forward to visiting Punta Cana again next winter!

• Liked — The rooms, food and location
  • Disliked — Trying to reserved chairs at the pool and beach
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Newfoundland, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

Just returned from one week at the Ambar. We were two couples who have travelled quite a bit throughout the Caribean. This resort is truly one of the lovliest I've seen The grounds are spectacular as are the rooms and the decor.
The beach is great although you have to get up pretty early to get a palapa for a little shade when needed.
The ADULT only concept here is a bit deceiving. It is more a seniors resort. They literally turn out the lights at 11 and take away your seat cushion and put your drink in a plastic cup and close the lobby bar. This was shocking to all of us. You can get a tram to the Bravaro side of the resort but this should not be necessary in my opinion. There is no music by the beach or pool and no activities to entertain all day long, Quite disappointing.
Having visited other Adult only resorts this was in that respect truly disappointing.

• Liked — facitity,grounds
  • Disliked — not catering to adults as advertised
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Bahia Principe from April 12 - April 19 and fell absolutely in love with this resort!!!

Check - in:
We arrived at the Bahia Principe Bavaro at around 10:30 pm. We were served by Domingo who was able to really help us out with finding a very good room. Originally we were booked for a suite in Villa 37 which was facing the construction, on the ground floor, and very far from the beach. Three things that we really did not want. When we asked if there were any other rooms closer to the beach, he quickly located a new room in the Ambar section (adults only). We were very happy to be placed here as we originally wanted to book the Ambar but were not successful. He placed us in Villa 67 Room 301.

Room:
When we got to our room we quickly realized that Domingo had been VERY nice to us ( I think he thought we were on our honeymoon). We had a corner suite with an ocean and pool view. It was the most amazing room. The corner suites are double the size of the regular suites in the Ambar section. We had a King four poster bed, a dining area, a couch, a desk area, and another sitting area, plus a huge balcony with a table and chairs! As well the room was equipped with bathrobes and slippers, a stocked mini fridge, and a flat screen TV. The bathroom was huge with a jacuzzi tub and a separate shower with a rain shower head as well as a regular movable shower head. Our TV didn't work very well and when we called the concierge they sent someone up right away and within 10 minutes the TV was working again. We also had a minor issue with the bathroom, and again, within 10 minutes it was fixed. Every night there was turn down service with chocolates and inspirational quotes and they always managed to tidy our room again even after they had cleaned the room during the day.

Pool:
The pool was perfect. It was never too full and we never had an issue finding seats. We usually ended up at the pool around 2pm and always found chairs (although they were hardly ever in the shade). The water was always at a perfect temperature and it also had two sections with seats and jets which was very relaxing. The pool was never really full of people and it was definitely quieter than the main pool.
We walked over to the main pool once to check it out and hated it. It was very busy with tons of kids, very loud because of all the people and music that the entertainment staff never seemed to stop playing. Not a very condusive environment for relaxing. If you wanted to lounge on a chair you were practically on top of the people next to you.

Beach:
The beach was absolutely stunning. Always very clean, but difficult to find a chair in the shade unless you got there at 5:30am. We generally ended up at the beach around 9:30am. If you enjoy being close to the water and are a sun baby, there was no issue finding a chair. Again, this was the beach right in front of the Ambar side. If you walked down a little to the main beach area, you'd be lucky to find an empty chair, and it was extremely busy. There were rows and rows of chairs full of people. You literally ended up lying down right next to a complete stranger. And it was very noisy there too.

Food and Beverages:
We loved, loved the food in the Palmyra Buffet as well as the breakfast buffet in Portofino. These were our favourite spots to eat in the morning and the evening. For lunch we ate at Las Brisas buffet a couple of times, but you had to wait a while to get a table. We found that going to the main snack bar Las Olas was better because it was much bigger. We tried 2 of the a la carte restaurants, Portofino (Italian) and El Olivo (Mediterranean). Our reservations were for later in the evening because we waited until the last minute to book the restaurants. I would recommend booking these as soon you arrive at the resort as they fill up fast (4500 guests!!). We had a 9:30 dinner reservations at Portofino which we weren't particularly happy with. Once we were seated we went to the buffet for our appetizers. After waiting for 15 minutes with no one coming to take our main course order I got up and went looking for a waiter. We spoke to the couple next to us that had been waiting for 45 minutes! I'm not sure why the long wait because at that time there were hardly any patrons at the restaurant. The food was good, but we were unhappy with the long wait. The next evening we went to El Olivo which had very similar food to Portofino. At El Olivo the service was much better. The food was great at both restaurants but we were dissapointed with the service at Portofino.
We preferred to go to the buffet as there was more choice and the service was exceptional.
As for the drinks, we loved the Banana Mamas. We did try the Mamajuana after reading about it on Trip Advisor, but a word of caution...it is the strongest drink that I have ever tasted. I couldn't finish it. It's a mixture of a whole bunch of hard liquors. I don't know why anybody would want to drink it.
The service was great at the Ambar bar. We especially liked Manuel. He was very friendly and we always got great service from him.

Entertainment:
We went to the night club a few nights and only stayed late once. They mainly play latin music but if you wait long enough, they play English dance music. We enjoyed hanging out in the Pueblo Principe. It felt like we were in a town square with all the shops and tables. We went to the casino a few nights.
We didn't really take in any of the shows, so I can't really comment on them. They have a house band that plays the same music every night in the main square, so I guess I'd recommend going to the Tropicana theatre to watch the shows as they are different every night.

Resort:
We loved everything about this resort. The grounds are perfectly maintained and everything is always very clean. Every time we looked up there was somebody mopping the floors in the lobbies. The maid service was great. They always left the rooms very clean and there was never anything missing. We never used the room safe, but chose to lock our valuables in our luggages instead.
The resort is very big so we made use of the trams that run on a regular basis. There was also plenty of security throughout the whole resort. They even had security practically standing in the bushes.

Overall we would definitely go back to this resort, but only if it was the Ambar section. If you're not travelling with kids it's worth the extra money to upgrade to this section.
We were a little concerned by all the bad reviews before we left, but other than waiting at one of the restaurants we don't have any complaints. I guess if you were staying in the Bavaro or Punta Cana side you may have complaints about the pool and beach being busy, but other than that we don't see why so many people have such bad things to say about the resort. I'm not sure if they're very picky or don't know how to deal with the staff. It's common sense to be friendly with the staff and you have to have patience with the staff if their English is not perfect. You're in a foreign country, embrace the culture and learn some Spanish!
We loved the resort and can't describe how happy we were with the staff, service, and the resort in general!!!

• Liked — Everything!!!
  • Disliked — Service at Portofino Restaurant
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gatineau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

My husband and I where at the Ambar the week of April 11 and we where at the Gran Bahia Principe - Diamond in March with our children 16 and 20, both resort are very nice, clean and very friendly cleaning staff now for the bar staff that’s another thing especially the beach bar and the pool bar at the Ambar very very unfriendly people, they don’t smile, they hardly look at you they look very sad, they really don’t like their job. I find that very frustrating because when you go on a holiday you want to see smiling and friendly faces. I would go back to the Gran Bahia Principe again, the staff is very different from the Ambar staff except the evening barmaid in the main lobby wow talk about a unfriendly face she is the winner I dont know her name but if you go to the bar lobby you will recognize her right away. Now for the food it’s very good if you don’t have a reservation for a la carte restaurant don’t worry the buffet is very good. If you are looking for a very quiet (I thought it was very boring for my taste) you will like the Ambar. If you are looking for a more lively and friendly people go to the Gran Bahia Principe you will not regret it especially if you have young children, teens they will have a ball. Lots of Ientertainment for them. Its a 5 star for us but 0 for the bar staff.

• Liked — The resort its self
  • Disliked — Bar staff - wine
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

We stayed at the Ambar from April 7th to April 14. Had a wonderful vacation.
We were picked up a the airport and taken to the Bravaro side of the resort. After a little confusion we hopped on a tram to the Ambar side. Most of the rooms were not ready as we arrived at 11:00 am so we had lunch and a few drinks till the room was ready.
We had stayed on the golden side last year so knew what to expect.
Room
Had a few issues with the shower door, & toilet which were quickly taken care of. Maid service was better than last year. We had a 3rd floor room with a king bed in building 66. The air conditioning went the the night on one occasion but was fixed the next day.

Buffet
Had lots to choose from and I had no problem finding stuff to eat.

Lobby Bar
Service was hit or miss. I found there were too many different staff taking orders then passing them off to someone else. If the wait staff had their own section to look after instead of running all over the lobby trying to do their job, there would have been less confusion. Drinks were good and you did receive better service if you tipped. The music in the lobby was just plain bad. The good thing about the lobby is it is smoke free.

A La Carts
We went to a few. We were traveling with another couple and our reservations were for different times. This was quickly taken care of by Victor at guest services right after we arrived. Some thought they were good. I personally thought the service was good at most but the food was crap. I would rather go to the buffet where there was more to chose from,but thats just me. Everyone had different tastes

Beach
Love the beach. This is why we returned this year. They do need more huts and chairs. Hate playing the chair game, had to be at the beach by 5:30 am to get anywhere close to the water. Not my idea of a vacation.

Pool
Lovely but didn't spend much time there.

Other sides of the resort.
Went to the other lobbys once. The music was louder than last year and more busy. Too much smoke and too many kids. Also forgot how bad the sewer smell is on that side of the resort. Stayed on the Ambar side much more relaxing and no smell.

NIghtlife
Didn't got to the disco or other entertainment. When you are up at 5:30 in the morning your lucky to make it to 11:00pm.

Cons
Just watch anything that you might leave somewhere by mistake. Stuff is taken very quickly. Had friends lose their camera this way. A bottle of rum was taken from the room and when it was reported if suddenly showed up the next day in the front of a suitcase that had been searched numerous times. A lighter was left on a table in the lobby on the Baravro side on the night we left and was taken in less than the minute we were gone.

I would return to this resort. I like the quiet, adult only quality of the resort.
There are problems to iron out but it is a newer resort. Guest services was excellent, even getting us a late check out on the day we left. Bell staff was very interesting to talk to and the cigar shop owner knows his stuff. Most staff was friendly and helpful.

• Liked — The beach and the rooms
  • Disliked — The chair saving at the beach
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2008

• Got off at the Bavaro, and then took us to the Ambar by Tram arrive at Bavaro at 12, Quick check in, but got the keys at 2:30 pm
• 24 hour free room service, full bath with hydro massage tub, hair dryer, and plasma sat TV, room safe, mini bar, balcony or terrace. extra amenities (pillow menu, bathrobes in room, Butler service)
• Room: Fridge was stocked daily with whatever liquor, beer, pop, water you wanted, and Pringles!!! Great for a beach snack. Left a note for our maid daily with a thank you and any requests we had.
• Bars/Nightlife: Chocolate Monkey, Banana Mama and Coco Loco. Tried most of drink coctails and “drink of the day" and Specialty coffees. Karaoke was fun and they have a house band in the outdoor theatre. Piano guy in the Bavaro lobby boring. And band in Ambar lobby sounded weird.
• Internet: 15 minutes free daily at the Lobby (sometimes long wait)
• Never found any schedule for entertainment activities
• insulated mug for the beach put it in the fridge overnight
• Spent most days on the beach enjoying the ocean breeze and going for walks along the water. You had to be up pretty early to get palapa for shade at the pool and had a little more time to find one on the beach. By about 8:00 most covered chairs at the Ambar pool were taken but there was always a spot on the beach.
• Stupid policy to hold chairs at pool but cannot take any chairs until 8 am when the guard allows
• Ambar guests receive unlimited a la cart dining and we had reservations to a different restaurant every night
• Restaurants/Food Favorites were the Cafe de Paris, Garden Grill and el Pescador (great friendly service and wonderful appetizer buffet). Service was excellent. Food was fabulous. Recommend the land and sea at the Cafe de Paris.
• Breakfasts were good and the food was plentiful at Palmyra. Ate lunch each day at one of the beach snack bars and twice at Palmyra.
• 4 restaurants on ambar Portofino (Italian), Palmira (international buffet, themed nights fresh food cooking stations; one for pasta and one for fresh seafood and meat), El Olivo (Mediterranean), Don Pablo (Gourmet International)
• lounge bar stops serving at 11pm but walk to the Pueblo and you can get drinks snack bar serving burgers, nuggets, fries and sandwiches till 7am
• Monday Michael Jackson show
• Pueblo Principe square with souvenir shops, a small casino, adult stage show, La Bachata disco, outdoor stage with a live band from 10 - midnight (with bar service), a karaoke bar

• Liked — adult only, beautiful beach setting, tropical feel, modern accomodations, gran bavaro
  • Disliked — inconsistent lobby bar service, boring bands/singers, rude noisy travelers
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thunder Bay, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar, Adults Only section from March 22 - March 29, 2008. Overall we had relaxing time, we met a lot of great people, had our fair share of beverages and absorbed a ton of sun :)

CHECK IN

After a 30 minute drive, we arrived at the Punta Cana section and were quickly shuttled to the Ambar section. Key cards, bracelets and restaurant reservations were provided to us and we were off to our room within 5 minutes. The bell person took our luggage willingly and walked us to our villa. We were in 61117, two villas from the beach and next door to the outdoor pools. It was a short 2 minute walk to the beach and bar.

THE GROUNDS

The atmosphere was breathtaking. It was very clean, organized and filled with flowers, bananas, and palm trees.

THE SPA

My wife enjoyed an aromatheraphy 50 minute massage in the adults only section for about 2700p = $89 US. The staff was friendly and welcomed you into the spa. Their services were displayed in a book in 4 different languages. We found the spa prices to be more expensive than the Grand Palladium Bavaro Spa. She also had 1/2 hair braided for $30 US on the beach.

BEACH AND BAR

The beach was clean and fantasic. The staff work very hard to keep the beach and walking areas clean everyday. As the sun came over the horizon, there were staff with rakes and garbage bags, picking up the seaweed that washed up overnight. We did play the palapas (huts) game in the morning. It was quite amusing to see the weary eyed husbands wander out bright and early to place their towels on the beach chairs. On my way back to our room, we would stop and chat with the folks staking their claim at the pool palapas. They had to wait until security let them unload the chairs and place their towels. Usually around 8:00am, then the mad rush for breakfast.

RESTAURANTS

The a la carte restaurants were quite good. We tried the Grill (BBQ), Portofino, El Olivo and Don Pablo. We thought the Don Pablo was our best meal and the presentation/service were excellent. The aroma of sweet bananas and cinnamon filled the entrance. We didn't really like the BBQ restaurant, it was very plain, a little undercooked and the meats were not the best cuts. Overall the food was excellent, the buffets had plenty of choice and we were always satisfied. We did have some problems with getting our morning coffee and our evening wine. All we had to do was ask, and we received.

PICTURES

If you wanted your picture taken by your camera, all you had to do was ask one of the servers and they were more than happy to do so.

EXCURSION - TROPICAL STORM SUNSET CRUISE WITH LOBSTER DINNER

Wednesday afternoon we decided to experience the Tropical Storm Sunset Cruise. It was the best excursion! The staff were courteous and had a great sense of humor. The drinks were flowing, the music was loud and the people we met were amazing. Lucky for us, our group was made of mainly Canadians. One thing to remember, watch out for that special drink they offer, "mamajuana"...definitely strong, it looked like swamp water mixed with wood pieces but it was 90 proof and tasted like Disaronno.

ROOM

The room was breathtaking, king size poster bed, well cleaned and the turn down service was appreciated. We left pre-packaged gifts on the pillow each morning with our room number and signature. The fridge was stocked daily.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE

Overall, we had a great time and would return to this resort. The grounds were well kept and the people always friendly.

If you like to drink, ask for the Pedro Special at the swim up bar. Tip the staff generously as they work very hard to make this place like paradise!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!