“Gran Bahia Principe Ambar” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #12 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Missouri
“Gran Bahia Principe Ambar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We chose Ambar ( one of 5 connected resorts, all Gran Bahia ) because it was adults only. As an Ambar guest, you can go to the other 4 resorts ( Punta Cana, Bavaro, Esmerelda, and Premier ), but they can't come into Ambar. The Ambar lobby is a bit smaller than the other lobbies, but very nicely-appointed with free wi-fi. The grounds throughout the resorts are immaculate and attractive. You have your choice of any restaurant in any of the resorts, but make reservations about 10 days early online, or you will be eating at 9pm - unless you want to go to one of the many buffets that you can always get into. They have a Japanese hibachi "cook at your table" restaurant that was great. The Bella Italia restaurant and the Santa Fe tex-mex restaurants were also great. We did the BBQ buffet one night, and it was just so-so. We wished we would have made another reservation. The beaches are fantastic, and well-kept by staff. We could always find a 4-chair umbrella area to sit, even at mid-day. It may not have been right on the beach, but it was a very short walk, and you could still see the water from our chairs. If you want to reserve a place at the pool or the beach, most people trot down there early in the day and leave their towels. Never saw security remove them, although maybe they should have. The shows at the Tropicana theater were usually great, with the Michael Jackson tribute show being the best. The guy looked and danced like Jackson. Get their early for a show you really want good seats at. The theater is under cover, but open air. Bar is in the rear, and waitresses come around regularly to the side and back tables but not the general seating area. We reserved a car through VIP travel services to take us to/from the Punta Cana airport. Good move, because others we talked to were on buses that stopped at other resorts, or took quite a while to get to the resort. Our room was a mini-suite at Ambar. Very nice. We got a 3rd floor room because we had heard they were the quitest and safest from bugs and or thefts. No issue with any thefts, and the room was plenty quiet to sleep late if we wanted to. The staff was great and very friendly, especially if you at least tried to speak some Spanish to them. Hey, you're in their country ! We learned the words for towel, bottled water, and other things we knew we'd need, and it paid off. ( You'll need the bottled water if travelling from the States, because that's what you use to drink and brush teeth with. ) Bottom line, getting to roam the 5 resorts and the many restaurants, pools and pool bars / buffets, mini-golf, water sports, etc. was fantastic. They have a tram that runs regularly around too, if you don't want to walk everywhere. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Try for an upper ( 3rd floor ) in a corner room. The corner rooms at Ambar have a larger balcony an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for emphasizing our immaculate and attractive grounds, fantastic beach, great Michael Jackson´s show, nice rooms, and friendly staff. We really appreciate this detailed review which help us continue striving towards excellence, and elevate our services and standards.

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

4,842 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,178)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Returned home from this resort on December 6 after 7 day stay. Everything the hotel does/did was EXCELLENT. It was very busy but this did not reduce the service level.

Beautiful well maintained grounds.

Room lovely, large, clean, comfortable, plenty of clean towels every day -- did I say clean ... I mean CLEAN.

Restaurants and food - excellent. Canapes at the buffets at each restaurant were great. Cocktails at the door a nice touch. Hand sanitizer at the entrance to each restaurant, what a great idea. Food and service everywhere was great. Clean, clean, clean. Saw the odd fly (could count them on one hand).

Staff and service, excellent.

Beach was beautiful. How civilized to be able to sit there and have someone bring you a drink, even if it was a glass of water that you wanted. The water was very rough so we didn't do any water sports. Not sure if this is the norm or if it was extra windy. Only negative comment was that the "tourists" couldn't resist putting a towel on a chair in the wee hours of the morning which meant that if you didn't do the same it was very difficult to get a chair. Why do people think that it is okay to reserve a chair for the day and occupy it for just a few minutes? Its one thing if they reserve a chair then go for a walk on the beach or a swim but you don't see them all day. Are they going on tours outside of the property? People PLEASE try to be considerate of the other travellers who also paid money to be there. If you plan on leaving the property for part of the day let someone else enjoy the beach and have a chair to sit on.

We absolutely recommend this property for a relaxing, pampered type of vacation.

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from the entire team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy, as well as the excellent service from our employees. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience.

We would like to thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most excellent vacations!

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We just returned from a week-long trip celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary trip to BP Ambar. I did lots of reading of reviews and can honestly say this place lived up to all the positive reviews I read. It’s a great day in paradise when the major decision each day was where we were going to be, the pool or the beach. We found very little to grumble about and had a very positive experience and can’t wait for a return trip to the Ambar!

The Good….
The rooms are very well appointed and large
They were very clean and housekeeping was fantastic
The pool experience is first class; great pool side service
The beach was clean, lots of beach seating and very close to the hotel and pool area
The adult only setting is very relaxing... its your vacation!
The service throughout the property was fantastic, the staff was very friendly
Check in and out was smooth and efficient
Food was plentiful; the ala-cart restaurants were all B+ (we didn’t go hungry!!!)
The ala-cart restaurants reservations were all what we requested in advance of our arrival
The wine with dinner or any meal is very good
The main lobby is the central gathering point and social hub for the Ambar
FREE unlimited wi-fi in the lobby is a nice perk
Older couples or younger couple on honeymoon makes up the guest at this resort

The Nit-picky…
The food is different – not bad, just different, not lots of spice and many items are served luke warm
Service in all restaurants is European style – meaning you never know who will be waiting on you
No elevators, if you’re on the 3rd floor keep this in mind
The AC doesn’t get as cool as I would have like
Don’t waste your money on any of the Chef’s Specials.. not worth it
Wish there was more pool side music
Getting a seat at the pool can be problem if you don’t “towel a seat early”

Tips for the BP Ambar…
Request your building in advance of your arrival (we stayed in 65) perfect building; request a corner room and on the 2nd floor
Please tip the staff- take lots of US $1.00 and $5.00 – it will enhance your stay and the staff is extremely appreciative – they need your support!
Don’t take lots of clothes… dress shorts and collared shirts are perfect for all except the gourmet restaurant
Do take lots of sunscreen – very expensive on property
Share shuttle service to/from the Airport is easy and inexpensive – arrange in advance of our arrival

BTW - We booked our trip through Delta Vacations and had a very good experience with that process.

Room Tip: Request your building in advance of your arrival (we stayed in 65) perfect building, middle of the c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

Your opinion is very important to us. It represents a challenge, an opportunity to improve our services, and maintain the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination this paradise called Dominican Republic.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ambar for 5 days in early December. We booked through Apple Vacations which included transfers to/from the resort, and had an Apple representative on-site for any of our needs. We e-mailed Ambar about 7 days prior to arriving to make restaurant reservations and room requests.

CHECK IN/OUT I don't know why check-in hasn't been addressed by the resort as I read numerous complaints. We were dropped off at the Bavaro, told the staff we needed to check in at Ambar and waited an easy 15-20 minutes before getting a shuttle to the Ambar. Once we were there, we were greeted rudely by guest services who said "where are your papers? You don't have papers?" and then sighed, rolled his eyes etc etc. Someone else stepped in when she overheard us say "Apple Vacations" and helped us check in. She then led us to our room, pointed out where restaurants were, and the direction to get to the pool/beach. When I asked about being moved to a higher floor (as was requested in my e-mail) she quickly became defensive saying I would have to ask guest services. I got the same response when I asked about the dinner reservations. She said they should have been in the check-in envelope but didn't know why they weren't and we needed to ask guest services. I believe she was our "butler" but that was our only interaction with her for the trip. Went to guest services who did have our reservations. We could have changed rooms but not until the following day. After a long day of travel we let it go and stayed on the first floor. I wish they would have included some sort of welcome drink and/or cool towel as we saw other resorts doing. Check out was smooth, friendly and easy; I don't know why check-in couldn't have been the same!

GROUNDS/POOL/BEACH As others have said (and said and said) this resort is absolutely beautiful, clean and well-maintained. The beach is stunning (I don't know what "seaweed" anyone is talking about), and the pool is immaculately clean. We never had a problem getting loungers on the beach, but did put our towels out around the pool before breakfast. Service by the pool was friendly and quicker than on the beach, but the servers on the beach obviously had a lot more people to attend to. This was the highlight of the trip for sure!

FOOD/DRINKS The food is terrible save for Miguel making made-to-order eggs every morning and seafood gala night at the buffet. I am not a picky eater by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like my food to have flavor. Bella Italia was just cream, butter and noodles. Garden Grill was better, and Don Pablo was also palatable. Sadly, the nachos at the snack bar by the pool were the one thing we looked forward to eating! Less quantity, more quality would go a long way here. The drinks, on the other hand, were delicious! We had no problem getting the type of liquor we requested, drink service in the lobby (and by the pool) was always fast and friendly.

ENTERTAINMENT We went to 2 shows. They were cute and entertaining, similar to what you may get on a cruise line or in an amateur theater. We definitely enjoyed them, and thought that they did a nice job for what it was.

OVERALL We loved our trip once we were settled in. Doing nothing but sitting by the pool and beach was exactly what we needed. We would definitely return to Punta Cana, but we might try out a smaller resort before coming back to Ambar. As long as you know what you are getting into, you will have an enjoyable stay.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel.

We regret your observations about our food concepts, but please allow us to inform you that our menus are done by selected products, and taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations. In the same way, we will look for new alternatives to improve our services.

pittsburgh, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This review is only regarding my experience booking rooms and making reservations because I have not yet gone on my trip. My experience with Clara has been so good that I decided to write this review even BEFORE I go on my trip. This is really a rare experience for me. After must research regarding the best hotels in Punta Cana, I decided to go with the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar.

I am traveling with my husband and it is going to be our HONEYMOON. The Ambar hotel was an easy choice because it is Adults only. I got the best hotel rate from directly booking my trip on the Gran Bahia website. I compared other competitor websites (orbitz, expedia, etc) and the best rate is provided directly on the Gran Bahia website. The website itself is very informative.

For some reason, the website was not taking my credit card. I called the 800 number and I reached Clara, who was so amazingly helpful. She took care of all of my needs and answered all of my questions.

Luckily, when I booked my trip, they were having a special so I was able to also book airport transfers directly with Clara.

Lastly, today I emailed Clara with my a la care restaurant choices for my upcoming hotel stay and she quickly forwarded my email to personnel so that they can book my reservations. I have not yet received a confirmation to my restaurant choices but I am sure they will be coming shortly.

I am so excited for my upcoming trip. Best of all, my parents have decided to come too and they are celebrating their 30th anniversary!! I will provide another review after I come back from my trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our Resort as your holiday destination. It is an honor for us to assist you.

It will be a pleasure to welcoming you and make your stay an unforgettable experience. We have contacted you in private asking for you to please provide us your contact information in order for our address you directly.

Thank you in advance for taking your valuable time to contacting us.

Severn, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful resort. We stayed at the Ambar section. There were always workers cleaning, landscaping, sweeping etc. at night you received turned down sheets and chocolates which was nice. The one worker at the resort that was amazing was Jorge! He was great! If you go to this resort make friends with Jorge at the Ambar. He is terrific. Other than Jorge I think the staff we met was just average. At times some of the staff were not helpful but Jorge always made up for it.

The food was okay. I am not a fan of buffets and that is all you get for breakfast and lunch. When you arrive at the resort make sure you make reservations for the entire week at the a la carte restaurants or you will not receive one. Luckily we made reservations for the entire week, thanks to Jorge, the first night we got there. They restaurants were okay nothing extraordinary. The a la cart restaurants still had buffets as appetizers and desserts.

There are lots of pools you have access to. All the pools are beautiful and the beach is nice as well. The resort is beautiful. Maybe they should add a lazy river around the property to add some activity.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar.

Please be assured that it is an honor and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff. They will be very happy and delight to learn your comments. We appreciate guest comments and suggestions, now that is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience.

Thank you for acknowledging Jorge, who will be very happy to learn that he was able to contribute in creating a memorable experience for you.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Kind regards,

Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We started out at the Grande Bahia Principe Punta Cana and upgraded to the Ambar. The Ambar is a true 5 star resort. The grounds were beautiful (as is the whole complex), the food was great, the rooms beautiful and the beach fantastic. Staff were fantastic! Service was fantastic! I would highly recommend staying at the Ambar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for highlighting the good aspects, such as staff hospitality, great food, beautiful grounds and nice rooms. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar and continue providing the most fantastic vacations.

Kind regards,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar? Share your experiences!