“Great resort for a winter getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #11 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
London, Ontario, Canada
“Great resort for a winter getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at the Ambar during the last week of Nov. with my husband and my parents. I had e-mailed the hotel 2 weeks before we went letting them know we had recently celebrated our 10th anniversary and we were requesting king size beds for both rooms and the rooms to be close together. All our requests were met, along with a gift on the bed of 2 shirts and a bottle of rum, with a note saying Happy Anniversary...it was a nice touch. The rooms are beautiful and very spacious. The bathroom had a nice jacuzzi tub with a separate shower. There was a sitting area along with the 4 poster King bed. We were in building 62 which was very central to the pool and the lobby. I don't know what the al a carte restaurants were like because we only ate at the buffet for dinner each night. There is a large selection of food and something for anyones taste. I would give the hotel itself a 5 star and the food a 4 star. The place is spotless and we walked around the whole resort. Every staff member we came in contact with was very attentive and happy. Whenever my husband asked for ice for the room it was brought to us within 10 minutes. He also requested more chips in our mini fridge one day, then we ended up getting double each day after that. We played mini golf one day and it only took about a 15 min walk to get to. You can use the trolly system which is pretty straight forward, it just depends if you prefer to walk or not. I enjoyed the pool at the Ambar, but the only change I would make is to have music playing all day. The louder pool is at the Esmerelda, but you also get the crowd and screaming kids, so we opted to stay at the Ambar pool. Overall I would say this is an excellent hotel with great staff who are always working hard. It is a huge resort though, so it depends whether you like the bigger or smaller resorts.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Client,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that we could fulfill your expectations during your 10th Anniversary.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays especially because our beautiful rooms, good food and attentiveness from our employees. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and have the opportunity to continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sterling Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I just spent 10 days in this beautiful resort for our honeymoon! It was absolutely amazing and I'd stay here again! The Ambar is a smaller resort on a larger resort campus. This one was truely adults only while the rest of the complex had kids. It was peaceful and relaxing! The Ambar is also closest to the beach so no need to take a bus to get there like those that stayed in some of the other properties at Bahia Principe. Being at the Ambar had its privelages! We could go to any of the restaurants on the entire property as well as our own-others resorts could not do the same and come to the Ambar. My husband emailed the property a month a head of time to get one of the preferred rooms closer to the pool and ocean but they didn't have any available at the time of check in. They did, however, upgrade us to a corner room ( a bit larger) in building 66 (66201). My recommendation is to stay on the 2nd or 3rd floor because the first floor gets a bit noisy with people pulling luggage and walking through (lots of echoes).

We were up every morning by about 7:30 at the pool to read and stake our claim on in one of the lounge chairs so that we could have some coverage from the sun. A note-do not leave your items unattended prior to 8am because the "pool chair police" will remove your items because you can't reserve or lay your stuff down until after the pool opens at 8am.

Breakfast was traditional buffett and was good-I recommend putting in a waffle station! Don Pablo and the japanese steakhouse were our favorites. We didn't like El Pescador or the BBQ restaurant and wound up going to the buffett that night after a few bites. I recommend emailing your reservations at least a week a head of time because you will have difficulty booking them when you get there! The poolside restaurant was great for lunch-it was buffett style and had a variety to offer-I loved the pialla!

The bed was a bit firmer than I'd like and the pillows were not the greatest. The room was always well taken care of and we were suprised to flowers, champaigne, and a bubble bath in our room one night and then another night of rose petals and a beautiful heart on our bed another night. We tipped our housekeeper daily and he kept our room stocked with the pepsi-light and water! I always wondered though what the ice bucket was for because we never found the ice machine! The rooms were somewhat warm but we had them come take a look at it and then no issues. We recommend making sure that the patio door is secured shut-if not it will turn the AC off. Also, to keep the room cooler-open the closet door (there's a vent in there that seemed to help keep ours cooler). We left one key in the power slot by the door and the housekeepers didn't mess with it or remove it to conserve energy so our room was nice and cool every time we came back to the room.

The beach was always well maintained and for those that mentioned seaweed-well it's an ocean and waves do bring it up occasionally but we didn't have anything major prevent us from enjoying our time in the water. Every morning it was raked up and we barely had any floating around us in the afternoon.

Getting around the property was fairly easy-they gave us a map and we used it occasionally to get to the other side for dinner but for the most part we had no problems. We took the "bus" up front to do some shopping and look around as well.

I wanted to say thank you to the staff at this resort for making our honeymoon amazing!

Room Tip: Corner suites in building 64 are prime. Stay on the 2nd or 3rd floor too!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Customers,

Receive warm greetings from all the team working at the Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We truly appreciate all feedback so we thank you for taking some of your valuable time to post a review about your honeymoon at our Luxury BP Ámbar.

We are more than satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay at our hotel and, that you enjoyed our facilities as well as the professionalism and friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that your wonderful comments will be forwarded to our Luxury BP Ámbar staff.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again at our Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort.

Kindest regards from Bávaro!!

Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We went on our Honeymoon the dates of Oct. 21- Oct. 27 2012. We LOVED this hotel and resort complex. We stayed at Ambar because we wanted an adults only experience.

Only down fall was the rain. It rained 3 out of 5 days. This also happened to be the time hurricane Sandy was traveling through the tropics. We didn't directly get affected just rain and overcast.

The main pool area for Ambar was never busy and always had availabe seats and a large pool bar. It was really beautiful at night with the lights around the pool. The beach was even nicer. Of course the section right in front of our hotel was adults only. There were a few topless women and lots of European men in really small swim undies.

The food was ok. We always had good service. The wait staff was great and always helpful. More staff to help make dinner reservations would be helpful.

The sports bar at the main Bavaro resort was nice they had Karokee every night but Monday. They also have a small casino and a disco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Customers,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at our Luxury BP Ámbar. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations during your Honeymoon.

We will be more than happy to welcome you once again at the Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro to experience the hospitality of our people and the quality of our services and facilities.

Best Regards from Bávaro!

Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Beautiful adults only section of hotel within the very large GBP complex in Punta Cana. Lovely larger jr suite rooms. Close to the beach. Lots of space between beach palapas. Spotlessly clean at all times. Very pleasant staff. Great Tai Chi and yoga classes right on the beach. Excellent Zumba dance class every day by the adult pool. delicious food but varied service. Gorgeous grounds! The gardeners do an amazing job! Congrats to all. Only difficulty was finding a trolley for a ride. This property would not be suitable for physically challenged travellers. Especially at night. Lots of long walks to things, especially the theatre productions. Ensure to take a fan and a flashlight! A little unnerving for solo female travellers. The ocean and beach were amazing!
I would go back, but definitely never during high season. It would be crazy busy! It was still quite busy in November. All the other sections were very busy. Quite a surprise.

Room Tip: Request a room close to pool and beach. Building 65 was great! Very convenient to everything within...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Customer,

Receive cordial greetings from the entire staff working at the Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay at our Luxury BP Ámbar and be assured that it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our premises.

Looking forward to seeing you soon...

Best regards from Bávaro!!

Pawtucket, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just got back from a week of fun in the sun at the Ambar. Thanks to Brooklin and the other Trip Advisor experts for helping me choose a great resort! I was extremely happy with the choice and would go back in an instant.

Arrival -

Booked a private transfer using Caribbean Dream, they were on time and waiting as promised, I highly recommend. Got to the resort in about 25 minutes. Within seconds of arriving at the Bavaro we were loaded onto one of their trams and driven to the Ambar. Check In was seamless and room was ready at 4pm.

Went to guest services and my reservations were already made (emailed them ahead of time) with my requested selections. They handed me my slips and I was off to the room.

Room -

Requested a building by the pool, but ended up in 64. This was perfect since it was close to the pool and lobby. All buildings are close to everything. Note, there are no elevators and the first floor hallway can get loud. Second floor worked out well for me. Room was clean, well stocked mini fridge. Wasn't the coldest fridge but things got cold overnight. They provide a couple of cans of Presidente, some pepsi products, water, nips, etc. They were happy to fill it with whatever you request (we did tip well). Beds were pillow top and comfortable. Pillows were fine. This is an all inclusive in the Dominican, the negative reviewers must have crazy high expectations. (I am Marriott Gold and my back was much happier at the Ambar!)

The Pool Scene -

Headed right to the pool bar and met some of the friendliest, chill people I have encountered in a while. In fact, within 10 minutes, we had friends for the week! There were a lot of Europeans (primarily Russian and German) along with tons of Canadians. The big joke was calling it Punta CanaDA!

Good selections of Rum (Brugal, Barcelo, etc) Presidente on tap. Mamajuana shots for all. Frozen drink machines, etc. Not as top shelf as resorts I have stayed at in Mexico but I am a realist and feel that I got decent drinks at an unbelievable value. Pool bar was always hopping, there was music every day at the pool, zumba, bingo, skits, etc. I am shocked that people thought this was boring. We had so much fun at the pool! In fact, with our Ambar bracelet we had access to the other resorts and took a self-made "tour" of the pools and bars at the Esmeralda, Bavaro and Punta Cana and thought the Adults-Only Ambar had the best vibe. The Esmeralda pool seemed a bit nicer - Think South Beach, but there were kids...

Pool closes at 6pm, but on several nights we stayed in until 6:30pm or so and it was dark by then.

Beach

Beach was very nice. Lots of chairs, never had an issue. Waves were a little rough (yellow flag). Had a few good sessions bouncing around in a tube. Nice little bar with drinks is available.

Food -

Buffets were good. In fact the rotisserie chicken at Las Brisas by the pool was amazing. There were plenty of salads, veggies, pasta (sauce is a bit "chef boyardee"), nachos, soup, burgers, hot dogs, etc. At the main lobby (Palmyra) buffet, there was more of a selection (steaks, lobster, crab legs, etc). They also have a made to order pasta section with four sauces. Breakfast was great. Traditional American style with eggs, sausage, bacon, ham, toast, muffins, fruit, and much more. Went to lunch at Palmyra for the first few days, but then decided to eat by the pool and was just as content.

I thought that the a la cartes were hit or miss. Started with Bella Italia and it took over 2 hours. Kind of a long time when you've been sitting in the sun with drinks all day. Food wasn't anything special. In fact I thought the selections were a bit too far from my expectations for Italian food. (Fried gorgonzola, fried artichokes, etc. My dinner ended up being a deep fried chicken cutlet, stuffed with cheese and spinach). But hey, I am from the Northeast so I know good Italian food! I ended up cancelling Portofino and El Olivio based on my experience at Bella Italia. Garden Grille and Santa Fe (Tex-Mex) were more to my taste and I enjoyed the appetizers and steaks very much. I recommended to friends and they agreed. Don Pablo was very nice, the filet mignon was perfect. Order the bananas foster and they will cook them with flames at your table.

If your primary activity for the evening is dinner, they you can have a nice leisurely meal at the a la cartes. For me, I preferred to spend less time eating and more time at the lobby bar. Either way, the food was good at both. For more choices, choose the buffet.

Didn't try room service.

Nightlife

Lobby bar is open until 11:30pm and is nice and busy. There is music at night, and some dancing. Drink selection is better than the pool. If you want to stay later, just order a few extra drinks at last call. It is true that the theater and pueblo principe are a bit far, it was no more than a 10min walk. Anytime we wanted, there was a shuttle waiting at the lobby to take us. Never tried the bus stops.

The Pueblo Principe has an outdoor show at 11pm. There is tons of shopping. There is a small casino, Karaoke/Sports Bar and a disco. The Karaoke/Sports bar closes at 1. It was fun, but they do sell some beers for an upcharge and may try to tell you there is no Presidente (there is!). Disco opens at midnight and was a blast.

Theater is currently doing one 9:45pm show. Stopped by Michael Jackson and it was good but very crowded. Get there early and you will be fine.

Staff

Staff was awesome! Desiree, Elvis and Domingo at the pool bar were incredible and made the trip! Enerolisa at the lobby bar was great too. Front desk and guest services were also very nice and courteous. Have fun and they will love you and treat you like kings and queens. My guess is that they just don't bend over backwards for complainers.

Spa

Spa was ok. Kind of small. Paid $70 for a 50 min Caribbean Relaxation Massage. No real "spa" to hang out in afterwards. We drove by another huge spa at that Bavaro. You may want to try that spa for more options, not sure.

Overall

I have been to six all inclusives in Mexico (Barcelo, Iberostar) and decided to try something different. I was happily surprised by the Ambar! Grounds were immaculate. Has a smaller "feel" than the big resorts I have stayed at in the past. The staff and other guests were amazing, the food was better overall than what I encountered in Mexico. I gave this 5 stars because it far exceeds what I expect at this price. I read all the reviews and I would say the experience was much better than I thought. Heck, we were with friends that previously stayed at Fountainbleau in Miami that also loved it.

If you want an amazingly beautiful resort with great people for an very reasonable price look no further. If you are a diva that will only drink Patron and want a private cabana, keep looking!

Room Tip: For light sleepers choose a 2nd or 3rd floor. First floor hallway is a main thoroughfare to the bea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Client,

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

Please allow us to affirm with your comments that our staff is providing our guests with the natural, warm, and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Thank you for highlighting our personnel and please be assured that your wonderful observations will be forwarded to them.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we exceed your expectations during your stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar and be assured that it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back again and again.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Ambar section that was adults only. It was a wonderful vacation! Our butler Maurice (Clee-ann) was an angel! She was very attentive to us, checked in with us daily and addressed our every need. It was great to have such a wonderful person to help us. There was definitely a language barrier with many of the people, but Maurice saw to it that we understood everything and created a fantastic trip for us. It was our anniversary and she set up such a romantic scene in our room with a bubble filled jacuzzi and rose petals everywhere. It was candle lit and she treated us to a bottle of champagne! What a terrific butler she was. Everything went so smooth and the resort is clean and food was good. The beaches are beautiful and the water so clear and turquoise. I read some of the reviews before we went and I was a little leary about some things. But, all that disappeared within our first hour there. Yes, there was seaweed that washed up on the beach, but the resort personnel clean it up immediately...it's mother nature and can't be helped. The food was full of variety. Yes, there were things that we didn't care for, but I find that at home too in restaurants. We did not go hungry and there was always something we could find that was delicious. The pool entertainment was awesome too. Marco and Yannette (I think that was her name) were so entertaining and engaged the audience every day. They made it fun to participate in all the games and dancing and zumba! WE HAD A BLAST! The resort is big, and while that seemed to be a complaint in some of the reviews that I read, we did not view that as a problem, but as a plus. There was always something to do if you wanted to participate. If not, there were quiet places as well. The shuttles ran so frequently, we never waited more than 5 minutes for one. However, most times we walked because we enjoyed the scenery and needed to walk off the big meal! lol All in all, this is a 5 star resort and the best of the best with the best people working there. They all were attentive and tried very hard to please the guests. We will go back, I'm sure!

Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your Anniversary.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the attentiveness of our staff members. Please be assured that your wonderful comments will be forwarded to Maurice, Marco and Yannette. They will be very delighted to learn your observations.

We apologize for the impression you could perceive for the language barrier with some of our staff members. We assured you that we continuously work with our Human Resources and Quality departments to reinforce the training of our personnel. We strongly believe that our guest’s satisfaction depends of their daily performance.

Please feel sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

First time in Punta Cana. The people that work in the hotels and restaurants are at the top. The employees work hard to make yours stay one to remember forever. We stayed at the Ambar and Jorge, Emanuel at the front desk are top notch. Our entertainment poolside by Hoses Suero, Markos and the wonderful girls that work as barmaids were the best, also Hoses the Zumba instructor can't be beat, these wonderful people is what makes this a wonderful place to come to and should all be recognized for the work they do, THEY MAKE IT ALL HAPPEN.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel.

Please be assured that it is an honor and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff, who makes this Resort a wonderful place. They will be very happy and delight to learn your comments. We appreciate guest comments and suggestions, now that is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience.

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Kind regards,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!