For the record - I'm not a picky guy, by a long shot, but what could have been a great vacation, turned out sour. I'm sure this was not your average experience, but it was an experience nonetheless that I was embarrassed of, with my significant other on our honeymoon. To start the vacation, I had to beg a passenger to let my wife and I sit together on our honeymoon flight-out because the airline didn't have two seats together. Understandingly, not the resort's fault - so I put no blame on them for this.
--- Onto the resort ---
- Requested honeymoon package... which we didn't get
- Changed our room 4 Times! Details:
- Bright red/orange stains in the room jacuzzi. Called room service, who sent somebody to clean the stains. After 15 min, we were told they couldn't remove the stains and decided to change our room.
- 2 single beds, instead of the requested single king size for our honeymoon - changed rooms right away.
- checked everything out first, no issues on first glance. Tipped the porter and started unpacking. Filled up the jacuzzi, tried to turn it on ... and it didn't work. Called room service again and they sent someone promptly. After half an hour of troubleshooting the motor through an AC vent, the serviceman said he needed a part and would be back. Came back, and replaced a part (what looked like a large silver fuse) ... jacuzzi now worked but sounded like a tractor trailer (REALLY LOUD grinding). Still decided to give it a go, went in the jacuzzi, only to notice some 'human stains' on the jacuzzi walls ... really put us off, and we got out. This was about 1am, we gave up, and just went to sleep.
- went to the lobby and explained the whole situation to a kind and understanding lady, who sent a porter to show us another room. Checked it out, all looked good, just one minor issue that it was a connecting room - took the room anyway. That night we were awoken by loud shouting and banging on our connecting room door. Tried to ignore it, and just went back to sleep. They left the next morning and the remaining 5 days were peaceful :)
- Rooms had AC, with your own coffee maker, mini fridge with drinks, and 24/7 room service.
- Really nice and courteous people - from the waiters, to the porters, to the maids, to the people working on the front desks. Felt they genuinely wanted to help and ensure we had a good time.
- Buffet food was very very good. Lots of variety's of salads, vegetables, soups, meats, breads, pizzas, deserts, drinks. A la carte restaurants were respectable and the waiters put out a good effort. I've been to Cuba, and the food there didn't hold a candle to this resort.
- Lots of activities, and lots of friendly people to play with. I had a blast playing beach volleyball, and doing the on the beach / in the pool workouts!
- Great beach! Something euphoric about strolling down the beach on a clear night in your bare feet with your significant other, while overlooking a brilliantly reflecting full moon!
- Good nightly shows / entertainment.
- A variety of pools to choose from
- Huge resort, with prompt and convenient internal transportation
Through a hotel tour representative (Manuel, really cool guy!) we booked a variety of excursions (adventure boogies, helicopter ride, parasailing, scuba diving, snorkeling, speed boating) - all were great and we had fun+++
Yes, the salespeople bug you to buy from them. But if you tell them politely, they respect you and back-off.
If it wasn't for the bad start, I would have rated this vacation 5/5.
I don't discourage people from coming to this resort, I hope you won't be as unlucky as us ... and if you do come, try to get in the Esmeralda suites - they may be a bit pricier, but they are newer/nicer.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.
We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel.
In relation to your opinion about our rooms, let us state that they are subject to strict supervision. Significantly, the health and welfare of our guests are our priority and we follow a strict program of cleaning, and constant monitoring of all quality standards in our hotel.
We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel.
We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention, especially the service provided by our staff, our gastronomy, and our entertainment program.
We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the proper attention.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.
Social Media Coordinator
Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.