“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

You added Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda, Punta Cana 9999, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #45 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Frankford, Canada
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Everything was great, the beaches were beautiful, the pools were well kept and beautiful. The staff there work very hard everyday to keep the place spotless. The Hibyscus Pool bar was my favorite... Wilson is the best bartender! There was more food then you could imagine and such a variety that you could never go hungry. The show were good but my husband thought a bit cheezy. The Karaoke was also our favorite although could be a hit or miss I'm sure. Rooms were clean although the maid only came in a few times.? (we left good tips)not sure why? The staff were very friendly and helpful too. We would definitely go back. The only concern is that people would reserve the palapas at the beach and pool and not use them till the afternoon, for the activities. The rules say no reserving. The snack bar is open all night and the trolleys run till 3am if needed. I felt comfortable and safe here!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (976)
  • Polish first
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Gran Bahia principe is a great resort to spend a week just to get out of the city, but i'd recomend you to just GO FOR A WEEK ONLY, even though its one of the largest resorts in dominican its not worth going for spending more than a week. The last few days it felt like repeating the same day over and over again.

When we first got in the resort they took us to a wrong check in. We waited for almost 40 mins and they told us we were at the wrong check in which a employee told us to go to.
We got the dimond club package so we were expecting a faster check in.

THE PEOPLE AT THE RESORT ARE NOT FRIENDLY AT ALL. We left tips all the time just to be nice.

The food wasn't the best but the main buffet had lots of varriations which was good.
they're lots of restaurents to choose from but most of the good ones you have to reserve before. My faveorite was the japaneese.

The resort had lots of good enterainment at night.

The hotel room was a horrible experience for us because the roof was leaking and i'm hearing most rooms had the same expeirence as us.
We called the reception and they called someone to come fix the problem but right after the fixed the leaking it started again after 30 mins. We got the dimond club package so we were expecting alot more.

There is lots of fun activitites to do by the pool/beach. Theres volley-ball, darts, bingo etc..

Not a place for shopping.

Overall it was a good trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana from Jan 7 - 14, 2011.
Where do I begin? This trip was by far one of our favourites! The hotel was beautiful and clean. Some people would say its biggest down fall is its large size. However we loved the fact that it was so big! We have been to other resorts where it was smaller and we always saw the same people. (if they irritated you - you just have to deal with it) It's nice to get to meet different people everyday. The only thing that we didn't like was the fact that the beach and the large pool by the beach were ALWAYS packed. If you wanted seats by the pool or the beach you would have to get up very early in the morning to "reserve" your seats by putting a towel on them. Food was very good. The buffet provided you with a lot of selection. We went to the Mexican a la carte which was horrible! We spoke to a couple people who were at the resort before we went - they told us it was horrible as well but we thought we would give the Mexican the benifit of the doubt...they were right! Disgusting! All the others were great though. The staff in the a la carte's were extremly rude which was a huge disappointment seeing as all other staff members were beyond friendly!!
We did the Dolphin Island excursion which we purchased through the Dolphin Island employee's at the resort. Marcelo helped us out a great deal by explaining everything about the excursion to the T so we knew exactly what to expect and we was right about everything!!!
I would definately go back to this resort again - IN A HEART BEAT!! LOVED IT!!

Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

My friend and I (both 23 year old females) stayed at this resort for a friends wedding last mid-April. We bought the diamond package because that's what the whole wedding party purchased (our travel agent told us it was a bit more luxurious then the standard package - in all honesty I don't remember what it included).

The only major downside to this resort was their wedding service. So, I will describe it first.

WEDDING - Terrible, terrible, terrible. The bride & groom were given 2 options for the wedding ceremony location - either the beautiful stone (marble ?) gazebo or the beach. They opted for the beach. A SMALL section of the beach was roped off for the service. The beach (well entire resort) is very busy, so we had a large audience watching from outside the roped area and they were NOT watching from a distance, they were right up close. There were also lounge chairs pushed up right against the rope. People walked behind the bride and groom the entire time (so there are random people in the background of their wedding pictures), despite the resort staff's efforts to stop them from walking behind the couple. The ceremony was not private or quiet at all. We saw another wedding at the gazebo, it was the same story...large audience gathered around to gawk at the ceremony like it was a movie. The reception was held at a private open-air hall beside the beach. Great view of the ocean and sunset.. The food was really good. There was no DJ, the bride & groom brought a few CDs to play at the dance. I would NOT recommend this resort for a wedding, unless you do not mind being gawked at by at least 100 random strangers.

WEATHER - perfect. Never rained. Was partially cloudy one day and sunny the other 7 days. Was between 28-35 Celsius during the day and about 25-ish at night. It never felt "too hot" though. I loved how we could wear shorts and tank tops at night and not be cold.

LANDSCAPING - immaculate. Very pretty, clean and well maintained.

BUILDINGS & ROOMS - well maintained & clean. Our fridge was re-stocked with bottled water and soda every day. Our room was never cleaned until early evening and our housekeeper forgot to provide us towels a few times. We complained to the front desk (since our housekeeper didn't speak English). Nothing was ever done about the towel situation. Luckily we both brought towels from home.

STAFF - Being 2 young single females we received a lot of cat calls from the young male staff. The staff that did this were the cleaning and maintenance staff. We just ignored them and were fine. The staff that had to interact with customers directly as part of their job were respectful and generally happy/fun. Tips aren't required but are appreciated. I didn't find we got worse service when not tipping.

ENTERTAINMENT - nightly shows at the amphitheater. Shows get quite busy. The actors/dancer/singers at the amphitheater aren't great but they put a lot of effort into their shows and they are entertaining. Nightly bands and/or dancers at the outdoor stage. There is a casino which is small. Karaoke bar which was VERY fun. There is a discotheque which was fun - it wasn't as packed as a night club in Canada (which was good - because it probably would have gotten really hot) - they played mostly local dance/house/hip hop music and some Canadian/American dance & hiphop music. There is a snack bar (hot dogs & hamburgers) open late - perfect for eating at after the disco, kind of like McDonalds but not as good lol.

FOOD - each group of complexes (ours was Diamond) had their own private buffet which was nice because they weren't that busy and within walking distance of your complex. There was also a main buffet which had a larger selection. All the food was good and fresh. There was lots of seating and never overly-packed. We only booked 1 a la carte at the Spanish restaurant. It was very good. A la cartes book up FAST - so if you want to get in then reserve the day you check into the resort. There are many snack bars and a huge variety of different foods to choose from - something for everybody.

BEACH - beautiful. Soft white sand and warm turquoise waters. The only downside is it was packed with people and lounge chairs. It was almost impossible to get a lounge chair unless you went before noon. There were a few beach volley ball courts and an area for dance lessons & exercise classes.

POOLS - many, many pools. Each group of complexes has their own private pools. Plus there are a few pools available to ALL vacationers. We had 2 private pools that I knew of. Both had swim up bars. The bartenders at both were awesome. One had dance lessons & fun competitions put on by the staff. The main pool (available to everybody) was huge and packed with children and families. Not our cup of tea.

TOURS & ACTIVITIES - we booked a bus tour through our travel company which had a desk located at the resort (Transat). I beleive it was $80. It was a full day long and provided lunch and unlimited booze. We visited the mountains, forests, small towns, farms and got to swim at a local beach which was just as beautiful (although not as clean or groomed) as the resort beach. Well worth the $80. We also bartered with a parasailing company at the resort beach. They wanted $90 each for a 15 minute parasailing adventure. We ended up paying $40 each and only parasailed for 5 minutes. The people who paid $90 only got 5 minutes as well. And we were taxied from boat to boat to boat before finally arriving at the parasailing boat - we spent almost 2 hours on boats and only 5 minutes parasailing. The view from up in the air was amazing though. There were many other activites and tours to choose from - but there was so much to do at the resort we didn't feel we had time for any other excursions.

OTHER GUESTS - mostly Europeans. Many didn't speak English. A lot of friendly Canadians that were always up for a good conversation. A few Americans.

RANDOM FUN - being only 23 at the time and on our first tropical all inclusive vacation, my friend and I definitely took advantage of the all inclusive alcohol. I usually don't like rum but the rum in the Dominican is WONDERFUL - it has a sweet taste. Definitely try some mama juana shots as well - very good on the taste buds and is apparently an aphrodisiac. The resort also offered many different kinds of cocktails - they were tasty but I don't beleive they had much alcohol in them. Stick to beer or rum (or mama juana shots) if you're looking to get a buzz. After the disco closed my friend and I (and a group of young people we met) usually went on nightly adventures and wandered around the resort just having fun, taking silly pictures. There were quite a few security guards keeping an eye on everything (we know there was always at least one guard following us at a distance) but they didn't bother us because we were not vandalizing anything or stealing or being a danger to ourselves or others or being too loud. I'm sure if we would have done something "bad" they would have intervened. I appreciated how they followed us at a distance (for the safety of the other guests, the property and ourselves). Not like we would have done anything bad, but other people might have and I was confident in the security the resort provided. Although there seemed to be lacking security on the beach at night, we wandered down there and there was no security in sight. There was a couple having sex on a beach chair and a group of young male staff drinking on the beach and getting rowdy - trying to convince us to drink with them. One night after the disco a group of 7 of us went skinny dipping at our closed pool - a security guard showed up and said we can stay and swim as long as we didn't get rowdy and as long as we weren't there for more than 30 minutes (maybe he just liked the view ? lol). It was fun being able to have some freedom to have some safe after-hours fun. Just don't go to the beach at night if you are a young female. I didn't trust the drunken rowdy male staff.

All in all I would recommend this resort to anybody - from families with children to couples to friends. I would NOT recommend booking this resort for your wedding though. You might not like this resort if you don't like crowds of people or large resorts. If you are young and looking for a "party" resort - this is probably not the place. The disco was awesome and we definitely had a lot of fun but it wasn't a "girls gone wild" type of resort.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
London, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

If this were the first all inclusive resort we had been on to the carribean I would rate it higher. It is beautiful and the trolley service was very good. Comparitivly it lacks in several ways.
It seems they pack in lots of people but do not have the amenties to accomodate all of them. The beach was packed, the pool was packed. We also were unaware that one of the pools was exclusive to the Diamond guests so got kicked out of that pool at 1:00. Try to find a lounge elsewhere, fat chance!! Not enough towels to go around.
Always items at the buffet that were empty and cold (like syrup for french toast, orange juice, sausage and bacon. Staple items that should always be available).
Also, a couple nights we had to stand to watch the nightime theatre show. All the seats were taken.
Only received our turn down service two nights.
Bathroom set up was very poor. Water always got on the floor and therefore used up a couple towels to dry it up. Went to the maids room to get more and when I turned on the light saw two cockroaches scurry away. None in the rooms though.
The robes we received would fit a size 10 lady if you were lucky. They did say large and extra large but they sure didn't fit us.
Rooms were clean but nothing special.
I guess you get what you pay for. It was the least expensive 5 star resort when we booked so beware. If your standards are high you will be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
PETERBOROUGH ONTARIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

We were at this hotel a few years ago and loved it. If anything it has improved. Clearly there was a lot of management overseeing all areas. The room was lovely, clean and well maintained daily. The beach was beautiful and even though it was busy, we never had a problem to find lounge chairs. The Buffet was so good we didn't even bother with the a la carte restaurants. The variety and quality was excellent. The 'people mover bus' was always moving along...easy to catch with no waiting. The front desk staff were great and happy to assist. Can't wait to go back.

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon and liked it very much. The room was quiet, the pool was not crowded, the beach was beautiful and the food was delicious. The service folks do appreciate the random tips here and there, even though it is an all inclusive resort and tipping is "discouraged". Trust me, bring a fistfull of $1 bills and leave them scattered around your room for extra towels and water/soda/beer. The bed was a little hard, but I didnt spend much time in my room with all the beautiful scenery to take in. The layout of the hotel is a little strange, and depending on where your room is, you might have to take the troller to the beach or the dinning hall. But all in all, my husband and I really enjoyed our stay, and look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!