“One Word. AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ottawa, Canada
“One Word. AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Traveled July 23-30 with a group of friends. We had the junior suite with the Royal Golden Package. The Package definitely was worth the extra money and I would recommend any person considering this resort to get the package!

HOTEL: This resort is shared with 4 other resorts (bavaro, esmerelda, luxury ambar, and turqesa). The grounds are amazing and very well maintained. The only downside in my opinion was the walking as the resort itself is HUGE!. It's so huge they offer "transportation" in the form of traincarts to get to one end of the resort to the other. Other than that, amazing

ROOM: we were in villa 6 which is right next to the beach, but far away from the reception/party square. Room was cleaned daily (make sure to tip!), safe was working (THIS IS A MUST!), bathroom was clean, and most importantly, AC was amazing.. It was so amazing that some nights we had to turn it down and/or the use ceiling fan lol.

EXCURSION; We did the dune buggying (awesome), something called the bavaro splash which is basically speedboating, snorkling, and snuba diving (not to be confused with suba diving).

FOOD: the buffet was amazing,and so was room service. In terms of the restaurants, the BBQ one was the best.. The Italian and Mediterranean were ok. In terms of those late-night munchers, I would recommend going to the snack bar (which is also a great after-party spot for those looking to party till the sun comes up) which services a handful of items such as nachos, burgers, and hotdogs, and of course, BEER!!

PARTYING: NOW THIS WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY TRIP.. Because the resort is so huge, it was hard to find out where the parties were during the day. However, we found that the best place to party during the day was the swimming pool next to the snack bar. Great crowd, atmosphere, and lots of drinking games! Night time was the best for partying as everyone went to the "Square" aka the Pueblo Principe... You didn't have to worry about about where people would be partying at night since The Square offered the best place to party at night! This place is basically main party area shared by all 5 resorts as it features a karaoke/sports bar and the main club...Music was mostly spanish stuff such as salsa, with the occasional "mainstream radio hits" and EDM (whenever they played EDM the crowned went nuts). Overall, the Square was so good that me friends and I never had to worry about going outside the resort to club, so in the end we saved a lot of money!

COCO BONGO: NOW people, If i could recommend any club to go to outside the resort, It would have to be the Coco Bongo. I have been to many clubs/bars in my life and this is BY FAR THE BEST THE PLACE. $70 got you transportation there and back, and open bar, and it is worth every cent!. VERDICT; GO TO THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
  • Polish first
doncaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

stayed last two weeks in July with another couple of friends. Hotel lovely and clean most of the staff very good. Our 1st week was absolute mayhem there was some sort of baseball tournament on and consequently there were dozens of kids teams staying at the hotel. We had to queue to get in the restaurant for our meals kids running round like crazy red hot waiters run off their feet not a pleasant experience at all we ended up eating in the beach bar staff were very good and it was much more pleasant although we had little choice paid on an evening we booked the so called alacarte. My opinion staff were excellent in the Mexican friendly and did try to speak English as we did Spanish. The greeter in the fish restaurant should take lessons on welcoming people but it could be she was one of the staff who did not prefer English people another example my husband and his friend were in the restaurant waiting for meat to be cooked they were the front of the queue but the chef gave a group of women behind them the food! Another reason we eat in the snack bar. Had to ring maintenance as patio door wouldn't lock and toilet wouldn't flush and to be fair they came quickly as they did at 4 o'clock in the morning when we had water coming through the ceiling due to the air conditioning unit our friends air con did the same. We tried going to the adult only part of the beach but people were there with kids and nothing was said about it being adult only. Beach and sea very disappointing with seaweed although this was not the hotels fault they did go out every day they were on a loosing battle our last two days it was really bad unable to go in the sea. We did try on three occasions to book a boat but fully booked every time. The lobby on an evening was packed to the seams lucky to get a seat some evenings the cars transporting you around the resort are excellent never had to wait long for them. If you want a quiet relaxing holiday don't go here all the pools beach cafes had music blaring would have been nice to have a quiet area. Our room overlooked one of the pools although it was closed there were groups in with young children at 9 am some evenings and no one seemed to say anything so couldn't sit quietly on your
balcony. Rooms dated but very clean would I go again no compared to other carribien hotels / locations poor.

Room Tip: Privelage club but it will cost so it would pay to find another 5 star
Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was my first time in the Dominican Republic, and I had been told by my family that it was 'paradise'. I had read reviews on Trip Advisor from previous visitors and was a bit confused by the polarisation of experiences. Having been there for 14 days however I now understand. Your stay will depend on you as a person and what you hope to get from a holiday (party, relaxation etc), but also a fair amount of luck on the room you get and the staff you encounter.

We stayed in Royal Golden in a block fairly close to the beach. This was ideal as we could walk to the beach in the morning for the obligatory and necessary bagging of sunbeds, and use the trolley to get to the buffet, lobby and evening entertainment. The trolley service is very regular and the ones running the Esmeralda line were always electric so not noisy if your room was close to the road. Our room was very spacious and well equipped with a nice bathroom and brilliant shower. The bed was super comfortable. Our maid Rosa was lovely and always took good care to clean things well and often arranged towel sculptures with flowers. She did have several days off during our stay and the service then was pretty poor. On one of those days we had all our towels taken away in the morning and by 5pm still no fresh ones. Other days we would be given no bath mat or hand towels, and the bath towels we had were torn. Also water, coffee whitener etc were not replenished, and you do need the water as the tap water is not safe to drink. The mini bar was rarely checked and so we often had no beer and the odd soft drink we had was not replaced but I think this was not Rosa's role. Other guests had mentioned a 'fridge man' but we never saw him.

Despite the nice room we had problems with the mini bar and air conditioning throughout the stay. The mini bar stopped working on day 2 so we reported it and a technician arrived and said it was a loose wire and he had fixed it. We tipped him and were happy. Two days later the mini bar stopped working again and we again had to report the fault and await a technician's arrival (again loose wire!). The air con was an even sorrier story as it was unable to make the room any cooler than 26 degrees C (78F). We reported this several times over the stay and had various technicians visit but it was never fixed. Often we would wait a day or two and have no one call in and have to prompt again for service. We had little escape from the heat and when drying hair after a shower you were soon dripping with perspiration again.

Beach - Lovely soft white sand and plenty of sunbeds but you do have to get there early for ones with a shade. The staff are good at cleaning up and you see them sweeping sand from walkways and spare beds, and rubbish-collecting all day. They also made a big effort to clear the seaweed and this was not too bad by the end of our stay. The down side to the beach is the very loud music played from the bar and also you can hear other loud music from the two adjacent pools. Also amplified instructions from Bingo or whatever was going on at the busy beach pool which was, as someone else reviewed, a bit like a Butlins holiday camp in atmosphere. For me this interfered with my relaxation.

Activities and entertainment. The nightly shows were mainly good - especially the circus - but quite short. The disco is a small very hot room with black walls and not worth a second visit. Music in the lobbies was recorded and too loud to make conversation possible. No live acts unless you braved the open air Pueblo Principe and the very pushy market sellers there. Daytime I was bored, bored, bored. I had hoped to do yoga, 'stretching' or pilates but these seemed to be only in the exclusive Ambar areas which we did not have entry to. There was pool aerobics in the pool nearest to the beach some afternoons but the pool water was filthy by lunchtime so I decided best to stick to the beach. The only classes we saw on the beach were very energetic exercise classes lasting nearly an hour in full sun at noon. Not great for my pale white English skin, but the leaders were very good and it was nice to watch. There was a small selection of lobby shops but very expensive and one visit was enough. We like to play cards but the lobbies are open at each end to the elements and no air conditioning meant they were usually stiflingly hot and humid. That coupled with the loud music and dim lighting meant we often gave up after a few hands. There is a small gym, small casino, sports bar, mini golf so I guess this would all be enough for most people but I was just too hot all the time and longed for some peace, cool and tranquillity. Oh there is a nice spa for that but very expensive.

Buffets and restaurants. As with so much else here, again a mix of good and bad. The ladies on the doors were always smiling and efficient, giving everyone antibac gel on their hands and leading you to a suitable table for your party's size. The buffets are extensive with a good choice and some really tasty foods such as fresh cooked fish, lovely breads, carvery meats, fresh mango and other fruits... The bad was that often the buffets seemed unable to cope with numbers of diners. Popular foods often ran out or food could be lukewarm or meat very tough. Plates were left uncleared and you often had to try and stack dirty plates to make room for your next course. The waiters are supposed to replenish water and offer drinks regularly but again this could be done well or else very very badly. We asked three times for water at one sitting and still had none by the time we had nearly finished eating. The two eighteen year olds in our party said that they were regularly deliberately snubbed by waiters who had seen them asking for service and then smilingly walked away. We were always polite and appreciative to staff so there was no element of our being unreasonable or difficult guests. We tried reservations at some of the theme restaurants mainly for a change and these were variable. The Mexican was fun but the food just so so. The Japanese I would highly recommend (unless you are vegetarian). They put on a fun 'show' and the food was good. The Mediterranean ('Pescador'?) had had really good reviews but was a nightmare for us. We were treated incredibly poorly and had to wait nearly 45 minutes for our main courses even though other tables which arrived later got their food really quickly. No drinks or explanation were offered so it was pretty dull just sitting, waiting. When we tried to ask about the delay we were fobbed off and told it was on its way. We did formally complain in the end but felt our concerns meant nothing at all to the manager who just suggested we try them again the next night. The food when It arrived at 10pm was good so what a shame to let themselves down in this way.

So, our teenagers loved the place and would go back in an instant. I am sure they would give this place 5 stars. For me I really appreciated the good things which they did so well: - the staff that sang as they went about their work or greeted you with a smile, the great waitresses at the pool and beach, the comfortable room (aside from the temperature), the service at the Royal Golden Lounge. The weather of course is fab BUT for me I didn't enjoy it as there was nowhere quiet to relax or to cool down. I would only consider a return to Grand Bahia Punta Cana if they built somewhere there you could relax in the cool and quiet. Also they really need to manage better the busy times and those few poor staff who really let everyone else down. And clean those pools more regularly as I loved the pool but not swimming through a slick of spilled drink and empty plastic cups.

Room Tip: High floors are quieter and less likely to have bugs! Royal Golden is worth the extra.
ONT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My friend and I had a great time because the beach is beautiful and the sea is beautiful and we made fast friends (2 Argentines and one German). Hotel grounds are beautiful, but the resort is huge and it takes time sometimes to find out what is going on where and how to get there. But we mostly stayed at our part of the hotel Ambar 1, which is the best located, right next to the beach pool.
We did have a nightmare experience with our room the first day though. The room was dark and smelled badly of mildew. It was so humid that the toilet paper and the towels were wet! And a brand new book that my friend had just bought had all the pages all wawy because of the humidity. It was unbearable.
We did ask for a room change of course. But after having asked 3 times and being told to come in the morning to the reception, our room number was not on the list of the room change requests! They simply ignored our request. It was crazy, like in a bad movie. They told us to come again later, at which time we were offered a similar room. When we got upset, the manager came and miraculously there was another better room available. We took it and put that bad service behind us and enjoyed the remaining days.
But even our first day check in lasted for ever for no apparent reason, bad service.
And that is not the only place where the service is bad and where you can be ignored. At the beach, we sometimes asked 3 or 4 times for a drink without ever being served! Different servers sometimes just walk around pretending to be working, I guess. Or maybe they pick and choose whom to serve, not sure. We were very kind and polite to everyone, so not sure if rudeness would have worked better.
Plus the beach is overcrowded, not enought sunbeds at all. And it's like a busy highway except early in the morning or late at night.
Our verdict? I will not ever go back to this hotel due to the very poor service. You don't really feel welcome, the hotel personnel are not smiling or friendly and some are even rude.
There are many good hotels in the area and for the same $ or less, you can find a better one for sure.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Loughton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is a big resort with about five hotels sharing facilities.
The hotels included in the resort were

1. Bahia Principie Punta Cana
2. Bahia Principie Bavaro Beach
3. Bahia Principie Turquesa
4. Bahia Principie Esmerelda
5. Bahia Principie Ambar
I think there are about 4000 rooms accommodating more than 8000 guests so you can an idea about the scale of the resort.
Because the resort is so big they run shuttle services to the beach and around the resort. The Turquesa is the furthest from the beach and would take you 20 mins to walk to the beach.
We were based in GBP Punta Cana but it doesn't make any difference if you are staying in the GBP Bavaro as all the facilities are shared. Although these two hotels have separate lobbies there are back to back and are almost a mirror image of each other.
If you look at the Tripadvisor reviews they show separately but really they should be merged because they share all the same facilities.
I cannot comment on the Esmerelda or Ambar but they were premium grade and there were additional benefits including exclusive bar and eating facilities.

THE ROOMS
The rooms were spacious with either a huge king size bed or two large double beds. There was a settee, a small table with two chairs, small flat screen TV and balcony with plastic table and chairs.
The decor is a little dated and tired.
I am sure the bathrooms are the original equipment and need replacing after 20 years of use.
Maid service was good with clean towels everyday. We had dressing gowns in our room but are only any good it you are less 14 stone and less than 6 foot tall.
THE POOLS
There were 3 pools by the beach and another two large pools mid way between the receptions and the resort. All were good and clean. Some of the bars have swim up bars.
THE BARS
The lobby bar is good with friendly helpful staff .The range of drinks is extensive with some premium brands available although most were with a charge but not all.
We used the beach bar most days with Santa and Enrique always smiling and ready to serve. The cocktails were mostly produced from premixed ingredients and were of average quality. You could also get drinks from the various snack bars scattered around but the best quality drinks were served in the lobby bar.
The beer was good and cold and consistent wherever you got it from.
THE RESTAURANTS
The Buffet restaurant provided typical all inclusive standard grade food. There was always a good choice whether for breakfast lunch or dinner.
The quality of the food was generally good but most of the beef dishes were tough so I gave them a miss after a few days.
The mangos were great, best i have tasted..
Two negatives. The dinner plates were often not as clean as they should be. It took me about 4 attempts to get a clean one from the plate stack.
Worst of all was the drinks service at the table. It was hit and miss whether you got water and was hard to get a glass of wine served before you finished your meal. When you got your white wine it rarely cold.
Quite often we had breakfast overlooking the sea at the beach side snack bar. Although the selection was limited compared to the buffet restaurant it was a relaxed quiet atmosphere and a better start to the day.
A La carte restaurants.
We visited the Dominican Buffet, the Fish/ Mediterranean, The Italian and the Japanese Restaurant.
The Fish Mediterranean was the best with a good selection of dishes. I paid $30 extra for a grilled fish platter which included a whole lobster, grilled shrimp, salmon, some white fish and mussels.
The Japanese was poor. It was cooked on a teppanyaki grill in front of you by a chef who thought that clashing together his utensils and shouting was entertaining. Go to one of other restaurants.
THE BEACH
Long stretch of white sandy beach which suffers from a lot of seaweed at this time of year. The hotel employs a lot of staff to clear it up everyday and by 8.00am most of it had been bagged up ready to be collected. The hotels either side didn't bother! The sea was warm and quite shallow so great for swimming although there was usually some sea weed about. There didn't appear to be many fish in the sea until one day i went out with some hot dog rolls and started throwing it in to the sea around me. After a short time i was surrounded by fish.
OVERALL IMPRESSIONS
Huge hotel. Nicely kept grounds. Friendly staff. Rooms a bit dated. Food and drinks satisfactory. This is not a 5 star hotel. I have been to better in Punta Cana
but in saying that we all enjoyed our stay and had a great time. I don't think I would comeback because it was just too big and a bit impersonal.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
Viancagraciano, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for highlighting our well maintained complex, large rooms, good variety of food offered. All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Please feel sure that your observations are taking into great consideration.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Best regards,

Adriana Peguero
Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was our 4th trip to this resort and as always enjoy every minute we were there. From the Pueblo to the Beach and in between we enjoyed it. A special commendation to Andy de Leon Tejada in Guest Services hes a true pro at his job. The other staff that were amazing were the beach and pool staff. The animation team was on point with all the activities and related well with the guests. Hugo Belliard and Enrique Polanco were great as usual along with Damian Martinez were helpful and instrumental in our fun week long stay. Their service was a 10 star rating. The only thing that i ask the upper management of the resort is to bring Enrique back to the pool bar along with Hugo. Those two have great attention to all the guests and are well liked by people from all over the world. Thank You BP.

Room Tip: Select the Esmeralda if you want to be closer to the beach....if traveling with young kids try to bo...
  • Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
Viancagraciano, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our good service from our employees. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience.

We are looking forward to seeing you for 5th time and provide you once again an awesome week.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Adriana Peguero
Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Let me first tell you the disappointing things that happened and then I'll provide the very few positives, especially since the bad outweighs the good comments?
1. I had two separate occasions where the person who turned down the bed at night stole my button-down t-shirt(!), and then my sunglasses;
2. We had two rooms and the second room's bathroom was filthy upon arrival - black stuff on the granite counters (ash?), the shower was filthy and lastly there were cockroaches in the bathroom, too;
3. Forget about what they promise re: stocking the refrigerator! They not only did not stock it, but on the ONE night that they did after I complained, the next day they REMOVED the cold items that were in the fridge and didn't replace them;
4. If you don't speak Spanish, don't even bother coming here because they don't understand you and subsequently your requests and complaints (formal complaint with Security re: the stolen, brand new RayBan sunglasses). I had to say, on several occasions when complaining: "Do you understand what I'm saying?" They did not. Don't sell your resort as "International" when they can't communicate on an international level;
5. The lock on our room broke so the occupant in our second room had to stay up from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. while they tried to fix it. Still broke a second time;
6. There were wall outlets that I was hoping to use to charge my phone and tablet, but they were open holes instead of outlets;
7. They failed to tell anyone that the contract with a company on the beach that sell products at a 300% markup from what they are in other shops on the resort (their own shops, nonetheless - it's a scam/racket! Learn to say "no" over and over to everything that they try to sell you on the property, from time shares to walking salesmen on the beach and the gents to who sell the excursions - ALL overpriced and not worth the money that they charge.

I won't go on any further. The theft was enough for me to say that I was never coming back.

Positives: 1. There were a few wait staff members in the Ambar buffet restaurant that were very good at filling our water glasses regularly if we tipped them; 2. There was a wide selection of types of food in the buffet and snack bar restaurants; 3. The shuttle cars run all night and frequently.

Do what you will with this information. Go elsewhere, but beware on everything that you do on the trip in the DR.