“Great all inclusive place to stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #45 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Conway, South Carolina
“Great all inclusive place to stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

The hotel is approximately 20 mins. from the airport. We used Olympius? as our shuttle service.

Check in was a little longer that I am used to, but was given a lot of important information. Immediately after you check in, book your ala carte restaurants, which is located inside the lobby. If you have kids that love water parks, Turquesa is the resort for you and the furthest away from beach. There are 5 resorts close by including Ambar, Esmeralda, Punta Cana, and Bavarro. Ambar and Esmeralda are closest to the beaches and are more expensive. It took less than 10 minutes to walk to the beach or you can take trams which are running all of the time!

The rooms were very clean and spacious with a balcony. We were close to the pool and beach bar, such a convenient location!

The bartenders in the Punta Cana lobby daiquir bar were awesome including German and Santos. The banana drink was amazing!

The beaches were clean. If you want a good spot, go to beach early and put a towel and personal item to save a seat. If mosquitos love you, bring bug spray! I got bit 13 times and didn't even see them or feel them...starting at 5 p.m.

We went ziplining with Canopy Tours. It was so much fun! You take a jeep to the location about 40 minutes away. Even though this is a third world country, I felt much safer here than when I stayed in Cancun and Riviera Maya.

The food was good, but it did get old. We stayed there 5 nights. We tried the Mexican restaurant and it was not that great. I ate chicken wings and nachos. The Japanese restaurant was alright, but not enough food. I was given 5 shrimp. We heard the steak restaurant was excellent! When you book the ala carte restaurants, make sure you get confirmation. The only disappointment of the week, the guy told us we had reservations for one of the restaurants and come to find out we did not.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Polish first
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I want to start by saying how awesome this place was. Our family of 9 chose to stay at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana and let me tell you it was the best choice we could have made. Everything was spectacular, from the resort itself to the food and people. We stayed for 7 days and we loved every minute of it. The resort was beautiful, clean, organized, pretty much a paradise. Since it is so big they have shuttles all the time to take you everywhere in the resort and to the beach. The pools with the bar are great, there is one pool near the beach which is the party pool and the other pools are pretty calm so you can pick what type of atmosphere you are looking for. The food was great, I especially loved the omelets guy in the morning, he made awesome omelets. Every night there was a theme to the buffet and different types of food. They also had different restaurants where you could make reservations and go there (included). They also had nightly shows, which to our surprise were very good. Extremely talented people and although they weren't long they kept you entertained the whole time. If you want to do other excursions they have a place where you can get deals and they will set everything up for you, make sure you haggle, you can always get it cheaper. And the best part of the trip was the people. We couldn't believe how friendly, helpful and happy the people were. From the cleaning staff, to the shuttle drivers, to the cooks, to the waiters, and to the activities people, they were all great. Honestly, they made our stay that much better, made us feel at home, they made sure we were having a good time and that everything was okay. Try and have conversations with them and you will realize how special they are. I could talk a long time about how much fun and how great the resort was so I definitely recommend it and will go again if I get the chance to go to Punta Cana.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The first thing I noticed upon arriving at the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar is that it is very clean, there is always someone shining something up or cleaning the grounds. The room was very clean as well. The staff is very nice and make a lot of effort to be helpful and pleasant. My friend an I asked to change rooms because there was 1 king size bed instead of 2 double (or Queen) beds. They accommodated us with our request. The room was on a higher floor than the previous but that was ok, instead of being closer to the pool and beach we were now closer to the lobby. We were in the 70 block. It is also closer to the gym. I found the lobby to be so beautiful, with colonial architecture and very high ceilings, a fountain, plenty of chairs to relax in and have a drink. I felt like I was on a movie set for a period piece. I love that lobby! Every night there is an entertainer playing varied types of music. I got up the first evening I was there and started dancing on my own, still dressed in the clothes I arrived in, I couldn't help it, I love Latin music! One of the waitresses gave me a nod of encouragement (not that I need much.). So no need to be shy!

Plenty of chairs on the beach but it looks like people reserve spots early in the morning by way of a shoe, a book, a towel or anything else you can think of left on a chair. Better to sit closer to the ocean if you don't want to hear the music from the pool activities.
I always hesitate to go to D.R. because I always get sick, but my friend assured me that this was a 5 star hotel with high standards. Other people who have been there all told me that they did not get sick. For the most part I was ok, but I do have a sensitive stomach, so for 1 day I had issues, but with some meds that I brought I was fine by the end of the day. The food is rather good, a lot of nice presentations in the restaurants. But I'm not a foodie, so, not my area of expertise. I can be happy just eating bread and cheese with a glass of wine. I can say there is a lot of variety at the buffet, and every morning they offer Mimosas to go with your breakfast. Nice touch!

The pool area is very nice, there is one part that has chairs bolted down inside the pool, bliss! Sit there with a drinky-poo and you're in heaven! There is also a jacuzzi area. They've thought of everything to give people a relaxing holiday. And the fact that the Ambar is an adults only hotel makes it even more relaxing. This is the first time I've been to adults only, and it's the way to go! Kids are sweet, but they have to scream and cry at times, this is what they do. In daily life, you don't have a choice to not cross their paths (unless you stay alone in your house all day), but when you have the option of being without, it's an added bonus. Not to say adults can't be loud,especially drinking ones, there were a few like that in the pool area during the activities times, but it doesn't last long and it's all in good fun.

I wish I could remember people's names, such as one of the waitresses in the lobby and some of our waiters, and the musicians, sadly I don't, but they are all sweet.

Not saying this to make people feel any guilt or obligations, but I would just like to encourage people to leave a little tip now and then (beside your tip for the chambermaid). My friend and I did so after our meals, and we believe that the tip is shared among the wait staff at the end of the week. We usually left a dollar each at the buffet, and at the Don Pablo restaurant, we left two dollars each. These people work very long hours, so it is appreciated when you do leave a tip. A little tip here and there to the waitresses in the lobby and the bartender is a good idea as well.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Well where to start I really don't know . We'd heard many stories about the Dominican , food bugs , bad service , poor accommodation etc etc........and if they were true we must have been really lucky. If there was a grumble it was with thomas Cook who opened just two booking in desks for 600 people and gave too much attention to their maiden flight to New York our queue was horrendous. On arrival in the Dominican the arrivals process can be lengthy as they are in the process of building a new arrivals terminal you must remember to pay your entrance tax $ 10.00 each before you get to passport control. You will need $20.00 each to when leaving the Dominican .
Gran Bahia Punta Cana is a big resort split into six separate resorts or accommodation types . We stayed on the don Pablo esmeralda complex which was very good , the rooms were very comfortable and the room service was second to none. There are several a la carte restaurants to choose from and our tip is to book them as soon as you arrive before your welcome meeting as the have limited spaces the only one that we were not overwhelmed by was the Mexican Santa Fe which was just not our cup of tea. The rest were excellent . If going as a couple and staying in the esmeralda you can eat and drink in any of the other five centres our choice was the couples only Amber which wasn't full and very relaxed on an evening . If you like the beach and would like sit by the sea I'm afraid that you will have to get up early to reserve your lounger all the staff work long hours on the beach or snack bars during the day and then work the restaurants on the evening but we're always very polite and appreciated any tips that were left. ... . and believe me they do get up early . It was noticed however that around the pools there were some early bed blockers towels that were being removed by the management

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Took my son on our first all inclusive. We eere not disappointed. Gorgeous weather every day we were there. The resort is clean, beautiful and well maintained. We stayed in the royal golden area and well worth the extra $50pp. We were very close to both the beach and the pool. There was always something to do. I was worried about noise at night but we were very lucky our villa was quiet and we were at the opposite end of the resort from the lobby and bar area. We saw the Michael Jackson and cirque de soleil shows and loved both. We were not "harassed" or bothered once on the resort to buy anything. Nor did we see any topless women unless we were on the beach. The resort has a no topless rule but they don't own and cannot enforce what's happening on the beach. I am very picky and was concerned about everything from bugs in the rooms - there were none, to night noise- none, to being sick from the food- we took dukoral to mitigate this and newsflash- you are travelling to a different country- expect that your tummy may be unsettled and be prepared to deal with it instead of blaming the hotel. There was a ton of food, ton of selection and you could always find something you could eat. Try the local food (the paella was amazing). Yes, by the fourth day we had some unsettled stomach issues but we don't blame the resort. We anticipated it. We are not used to the food, the oils etc. we still had a great drone. A few nights there was a chocolate fountain at dinner. My son loved it. They also put a huge slide out in the pool for the kids every few days. Another hit with my son. The staff were kind, and genuine. In fact we loved the Dominican people. We did the snorkelling excursion at Cape Cana. Loved it. The guys that ran the excursion spent the entire day making sure we were ok and had what we needed. A gorgeous boat ride. Saw a ton of fish. And came back tired and hungry!!! Our room was huge (far bigger than I envisioned). I loved seeing the birds in the morning. We had no issues w the AC once we found out (the night we arrived and thought it was broken) that the air won't turn on unless the balcony door is closed. Makes sense. Worked totally fine after that. The water pressure was good as well. Be careful, the floors can get very slippery. I would advise to tip your maid a few bucks everyday. We did and she always left our room well stocked with washcloths (hard to come by there- my parents had none) and she kept the bar fridge full.
We also asked for Carlos to serve us in the lobby. He's amazing with kids and very friendly. We mainly stayed around the pool by the beach and the service from the guys at the bar there- Hugo, Jose and Enrque we miss you all very much! These three were so much fun, always smiling and so great with my little ordering. Ordering more than his share of chocolate monkeys! We never waited for a drink. The pool was clean and the beach was too. I can't believe people complaining about the seaweed. Yes, there is some. And there is also some people working their butts off in the hot sun to clean it so people like you don't complain! It's nature. The water and beach are beautiful. We were just so happy to see such beauty we don't have in January in Canada!!!
One word of advice-email the resort to book your a la carries in advance. They are popular (our favorited were the steakhouse and the Japanese) and they fill up fast. You won't have much flexibility with date and time of you don't look into it ahead of time (even if your agent tells you that you can't book in advance)you can and I did. And was happier for it!
We will without question return. We had an incredible experience there.

Room Tip: Ask for villa closer to the beach. You'll also be close to the pool.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear guest,

It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

We would like to thank you for praising our lovely Dominican people.

We really hope to cater you once again in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, and continue demonstrating you our commitment to excellence.

Kindest regards,

Vianca Graciano
Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Bahia Principe is a place of Paradise, people are so nice, respectful, caring and most of all the receptionist named LIDIA is a wonderful human being, she guide us all thru the week we stayed, and she is so BEAUTIFUL ( in my eye of beauty) so I can say ....I left my heart in PUNTA CANA...with LIDIA.... I'll be back

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Burlington, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our family (2 adults and 2 children ages 13 and 10) stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana Royal Garden section May 16-23. Here are my thoughts on it:

The Property – It is a huge resort, it took us a day or so to figure our way around. The trams run often so you don’t have to walk much. It’s beautiful, exceptionally clean and well kept. There is a nature preserve in the middle of it. My husband and daughter hated the smell and commented on it every time the tram went across it; however, it wasn’t really an issue for us since it wasn’t close to our room.

The Room – We stayed in building 21 which was close to the beach and the pool. Our view was of a storage shed but we didn’t care. Overall the room was very clean and a nice size. There was a bit of mold around the edges of the tub. The tub had jets, which we didn’t use. One morning there was a cockroach in the bathroom. The blow dryer kept cutting out so most days I went to dinner with wet hair. I wish I’d brought my own. The towels were not good and there were no facecloths. They provide a shampoo/conditioner combo; bring conditioner if you have long hair. Our room was cleaned very late every day. Usually when we wanted to get ready for dinner. Then on the last day we asked for a late check out and had to pay $12/hour. Generally I don’t mind paying for a late checkout but we wanted until 3pm and we’d never once had our room cleaned before then. They do have a free mini bar and the more you tip they more you’ll get in it.

The Beach/Pool – The beach has beautiful white sand and we didn’t even wear water shoes but there is a ton of seaweed. It’s shocking when you first see it but it is plant-like and the texture isn’t slimy so we got used to it quickly. The water was great, not at all rough. It is a bit of a loud beach. The music is always going. There are vendors but if you say ‘no thank you’ they leave you alone no problem. My daughter had her hair braided (half head for $20) and both kids posed for photos with the monkeys and birds (you can buy them later for $10/photo). The pool area is very clean and we were always able to get a lounger. Be very careful with sunblock here. We’ve travelled a lot with our fair-complexioned children and this was the first time my daughter ever got burnt despite wearing 60 SPF.

The Food – You won’t go hungry but if you are a ‘foodie’ this is not the resort for you. We were pretty done with the food by the time we left. The restaurants down at the beach aren’t great during the day. In the morning at the buffet my husband and I really enjoyed the mimosas and the kids loved the stuffed donuts. The mangos and passionfruit are great. The omelets were okay (no spinach!). For lunch at the main buffet the pasta station is good. We ate a lot of guacamole. It would be nice if the kids could get ice cream or something in the afternoon at the pool/beach but no such luck. Dinner at the buffet is good. We had four a la carte meals: The Beach BBQ, ugh!! awful; Japanese, fun and good; Italian, good service, great food; Tex-Mex, okay food, great service. They have room service (very basic menu) but we never ordered it.

Drinks –The beer is good and the drinks are good. If you want top shelf you have to pay extra. For example Bailey’s is extra but they have Irish Cream (good enough for me). The wine is pretty bad.

The Shows – We went to the Michael Jackson show on the Monday night and the Circus show on Thursday night. The Michael Jackson show was okay. Other people seemed to like it more than we did. The Circus show is amazing!!! We’ve seen Cirque du Soliel many times and so we were prepared to be disappointed but instead we were very impressed. Don’t miss it!

The Sports Centre –BRUTAL!!!! We went to try archery – they told us to come back at a different time the next day. We did. They denied saying that we could do it at that time (we all heard them….) and told us to come back later. We played basketball a couple of times and mini-golfed once but I think they’ve kind of given up on this entire section.

Royal Garden – We paid extra to be in this section. It wasn’t much more money and it got us the extra a la carte, free use of the safe and it was supposed to include a free bottle of rum. We never got the bottle of rum even though we asked about it.

Excursion – We only did the zip-lining tour and we all really enjoyed it.

Overall we had a good week. The service and the food would make this more of a 4 star than a 4.5/5 star resort. We booked last minute and I’m really happy with the vacation for what we paid.

Room Tip: Royal Golden is worth a bit more
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!