“Perfect stay despite a few days of rain!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

CheapCaribbean BookIt.com
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Areana Gorda-Macao, Seccion Baigua, Higuey-Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #40 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay despite a few days of rain!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed here the first two weeks of November and it was pretty much perfect apart from a few seasonal downpours in our first couple of days! The hotel grounds were beautifully kept and the gardeners always said hello to us! Super friendly staff in the bars too, always keen to make you what you want if its not on the cocktail list.

Room - We were upgraded to the Club Royal Golden which was in a perfect location to get around the resort - there was a shuttle bus (for the lazy people!) but the place isnt really that big so you can still walk around everywhere. The maids were friendly and if you tip you will get extra beer for the minibar everyday!!

Food - Buffet always had something for everyone, breakfast was probably the best meal of the day. The pool by the beach did Paella one day which was delicious and they even had a band which was fun! We were disappointed by the Mexican restaurant despite the delicious nachos and guacamole. To be honest the food in the other a-la-carte restaurants wasn't great, they could do with being a bit more traditional to the specific cuisine. The Meditteranean was probably the best meal, followed by the italian.

Excursions - As I have read on a few reviews, I wouldnt book via the reps at the hotel. They walk around the pool alot and offer you trips but if you just say a polite no they will leave you alone and not nag at all. We booked via First Choice and booked ours before we left the UK. I can HIGHLY recommend the MARINARIUM trip - great staff, unlimited drinks and a great snorkelling experience especially if you're not that experienced. We got out of the boat and had drinks in the Caribbean sea (waist deep water) which was amazing, so so warm and a great atmosphere. Definitely book this if you can but make sure you eat before as you only get a small sandwich - we didnt expect anything as it is only a half day excursion.

All in all a fabulous holiday - Thanks everyone!!

Room Tip: Royal Golden Rooms are right in the middle of the resort so perfect walking distance to both the mai...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay with us. We are glad you find worth to remark our hotel grounds, friendly staff, and delicious food.
Thank you for your praise and nice comments.

We would be absolutely delighted to cater you back again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in the Dominican Republic.

Vianca Graciano
Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

2,878 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

the best time of our lives. Great food selection. Shuttles buses throughout resort. Very well kept resort. Varity of activities to do for children to adults.
Ask for German the bartender say "Happy. Happy. Happy Amigo!" he will take care of the drinks for you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Denis,

It is a pleasure to read that you had a great honeymoon stay and to hear that you were satisfied with the service and happiness of German.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Your honeymoon in Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts!

Kindest regards,

Vianca Graciano
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

When first looking at the mixed reviews on this resort, I must admit I didn't know what to expect. After spending the weekend at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, I could not have asked for a better experience for me and my friend. When we arrived at the hotel, approx. 2pm, we were directed to the main restaurant to enjoy the buffet for lunch as we waited for our room to be ready at 3. I am a VERY picky eater and was quite pleased at the selection that was offered at the buffet. While enjoying our meal, we chatted with a member of the restaurant staff, Octavio, who suggested that we make dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants once we had our room assignment. By 3:15, we had our room keys, and with the assistance of the wonderful guest services and Apple vacations representatives Jiancarlos and Tomas Newton, we had restaurant reservations for the two nights we were staying, two t-shirts and bottles of local rum, as well as all the information we needed to navigate our way around the resort and plan a weeks worth of fun in the two days that we stayed.

The room was very nice and clean and located in one of the buildings near the main lobby, bar, and one of the pools. The grounds of the resort are nice and if you don't mind the walk, which we didn't, you don't have to take the complementary buses/golf carts to get around on the grounds. We walked to the beach rather than take the trolleys, it was a 5-7 minute walk depending on how many stops we took for our "photo ops" to document our wonderful mini-vaca. Everyone on the staff was very friendly and accommodating and it helped make my job MUCH easier as I was trying to make sure that my very hardworking friend was able to kickback and enjoy her birthday weekend getaway.

Thanks to Jiancarlos and Octavio, we were able to eat at both the Garden Grill (steakhouse) and Meiko (Japanese). Both had excellent service and food. My favorite was Garden Grill, Octavio made sure that my friend and I were taken care of and even had the staff come sing happy birthday at our table and presented us with a cake that was delicious! My friend is watching what she eats, as I was as well...and I watched every bit of all the food that I ate this weekend go off of my plate and directly into my mouth! I'm not a huge fan of Japanese cuisine, however, the food at Meiko was very good as well and I was a little mad at myself for eating beforehand and not being able to finish all of the food that was prepared before us by our chef.

It was wonderful having someone to come to for any questions or concerns that we may have had and getting helped right away. Tomas helped us get in contact with the shuttle service that we paid for to get to and from the airport so that we would know what time they would be getting us for our flight on our day of checkout. Anytime they saw us, Jiancarlos and Tomas would stop and check with us to make sure our stay was comfortable and there was nothing more they could do to make our vacation any more pleasant than it already was.

On our last morning, my friend asked Jiancarlos for an additional t-shirt that she could take home as a souvenir for her daughter, when we returned to our room from our last trip to the beach, there were two bags waiting on us, one for "JOJO" and one for "COCO". :-) Attached to each bag of goodies was a note from Tomas thanking us for being a guest and wishing us a safe flight. WOW was all we could say!! After checking out, we went to eat one last time at the buffet, thanked both Jiancarlos and Tomas for ensuring we had such a wonderful stay, and were on our way to the airport on schedule.

This was TRULY an unforgettable weekend for us!! The hospitality that was extended to us by the staff at this resort was simply wonderful. Thank you Octavio for you attention and assistance, we didn't get a chance to say our goodbye's to you, but we'll be back! :-)
Jiancarlos was great! Tomas was great! Thank you both for making this a vacation for me too...I was really expecting to do SO MUCH MORE WORK to make sure my friend had a birthday that she'd never forget...you took that duty from me and I thank you both!!

My friend and I have now found a new place to visit on our quarterly trips....I can't say thank you enough!

Oh, and I'm not a drinker, but my friend was...and she said the drinks were great, not watered down like she thought they'd be....but I'll let her tell you about that. :-)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear JoJo & CoCo ,

We feel proud to read that you had a fantastic holiday in your last visit to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana.

Your praise will be forward to our brilliant staff that created you a memorable celebration. Posts such as your motivate us in continue striving towards excellence.

We will be delighted to cater you once again in 2014 to enjoy our excellent food, as well as the friendliness of our employees.

Thank you for preferring Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in the Dominican Republic.

Port Loring, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Went for a wedding, had a great time. The hotel property is very large there is always a trolley available to take you from the main building to outer buildings and rooms. People are amazingly friendly

Room Tip: We booked trough a tour guide and paid for a king bed but ended up with 2 double beds. We were in bu...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

It will be a pleasure for all of us to host you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Kindest regards,

Montreal, QC, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Our week stay at the Bahia Principe was amazing. Upon arrival we noticed that we had a room close to the Lobby/Buffet so we requested a move to a room that was closer to the ocean. The very friendly person at the reception took care of this with no problem. The food was good, the service at all areas, including the beach bars, was very efficient and very friendly and they all seemed to enjoy interacting and having a good time. We really enjoyed the beach at the ocean and we spent a lot of very relaxing and enjoyable time there. We also spent some time at the pool in the middle of the resort just to get our "pool bar fix".The weather was pretty much perfect. The rooms are spacious and are kept clean. The grounds are kept up very with beautiful palm trees everywhere making you feel like you are in paradise. Even though the resort is large it basically runs "north to south" and is easy to get around. You have the choice to either walk or take one of the very frequent trams. If you enjoy excursions there are plenty of choices. In closing, the only negative thing I have to say about out trip was that we had to leave after 7 days.

Room Tip: They lobby/buffet and the ocean are on opposite ends of the resort so I would suggest you request a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our sincerest thanks to you since your comments are very heartwarming. It is a pleasure to know that you had an awesome time at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. It is really rewarding to read your positive review and that you enjoyed our facilities and the friendliness of our staff.

We would like to thank you for recommending us and rest assured that it will be an honor to welcome you once again in this paradise.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Visiting for a wedding, and booked through Apple Vacations. I have traveled to Punta Cana before, so I do have a frame of reference. This is easily one of the worst resorts I have visited in terms of customer service, food, and basic room amenities. In no way, shape, or form should this be qualified as anything more than a 2 star resort. To summarize:
Rooms: run down, paint peeling off walls, rust and stains on the walls, maids do the bare minimum in cleaning, and our biggest issue while we were there - LIGHTING. There was little to no light in the room, and when asked if someone could bring a lamp or come look at the lights, we were repeatedly told that nothing could be done. This was an issue not only in our room but every room of guests we spoke with. Safe costs $4/day.
Resort: VERY large with irregular shuttle service. Either you walked, sat on the shuttle sometimes for 20 minutes before it would go anywhere, or try to sweet talk the driver to leave as soon as possible. There is constantly work being performed on the grounds. Be prepared to be cat-called and leered at as you walk around and even when you are at the pool. It feels very unsafe unless you are in a group.
Food: abysmal. I can't give them any benefit of the doubt. It is really awful. We ate at the buffet, El Pescador ("Mediterranean"), Santa Fe ("Mexican"), and the Italian restaurant. The food will never, ever be hot. It will never have flavor. And the portions are tiny, unless you serve yourself at the buffet. You will live on nachos and pizza from the "snack bar," which will barely get you through your trip. Breakfast buffet is easily the best food at the resort -- I highly recommend going and filling up bc you will be starving the rest of the day. As most all-inclusives, drinks are watered down.
Concierge service/Golden Club: Lillia and Leidy are nice. But nice is simply not enough when you don't do anything. To be fair, Lillia was off Wed-Saturday so we only saw her on Tuesday. Edward made reservations for us for dinner and when we got there, were given the run around bc we didn't bring a "ticket" which we were never given. Golden Club couldn't help us with the lighting, although they promised to. Couldn't help us with excursion booking. You waste half your vacation making reservations and going from one end of the resort to the other for ANYtHiNG. Almost no one speaks English. Do not upgrade to golden club bc I'm still not sure what we got out of it except a supreme waste of our time. Any time you call from your room for anything, you are guaranteed to be transferred at least 4 times.
Book excursions before you go. Sleazy excursion reps will try to grab you any time you come to the lobby. It is shocking that this is a resort, and still in business.

In a nutshell - STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! I stayed at the Majestic a few years ago, and that far outshined this "resort," and was much cheaper. I'm sure someone from Bahia will respond and give me some canned answer about taking my comments seriously, etc. but unless you are refunding some of my money, I don't believe a word. I will be sure to tell every person I know NOT to stay here. Really really horrible.

Room Tip: Don't book here, period.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for expressing your opinion. We appreciate the time you dedicated to share it with us.

We are very sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations in some facilities. However, we would like to inform you that the areas of opportunity which were described have been reviewed by our management team so that they take stronger measures to improve where is necessary.

We would like to welcome you back; we assure you we will exceed your highest expectations.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

ok im gonna start by saying that me and my family had a lovely holiday although we had a LOT of ups and downs so here goes...

to start with we booked with thomsons (never again) you pay to have seats together and they completely screw up and then they refuse to help change it when your there waste of money paying to have seats together because it doesn't work. I must say though they have done well with the new Dreamliner lovely flight shame the crew could only manage 1 bar service the whole 9 hour flight!

The Hotel-
The hotel itself is gorgeous, the gardens are stunning and they are always working on keeping the place clean and beautiful, it is massive though and even though this isn't normally a problem for us and I have stayed at the grand Bahia before this hotel made no sense and its easy to get lost it took us 3 days to work out there are 2 lobby areas back to back! very confusing!
the rooms are lovely complete with massive bed and Jacuzzi bath however all the cleaners know is how to make the bed! our room and bathroom wasn't actually cleaned for the whole 2 weeks! I left with the same dead mosquito on the bathroom side that I had killed the night we got there!
The beach is disappointing not your normal carribean beach but it is the atlantic side, its also got a real sand flea problem and after coming back with bites and blisters all over my feet the first day I refused to go again!
You don't get many brits at the hotel but a lot of Russians who are quite possibly the rudest people ive ever met. we did meet some amazing Canadians, germans and French people though who were just great!
the hotel allows the locals in at the weekend which is a shame as they take over and can be extremely intimidating.
The staff are a complete mix some work really hard but others couldn't be more lazy, the female staff have a real problem with female guests and make that very clear especially in the casino they are very rude, the male members of staff come on very strong to all girls and me and my sister found this too much as all we heard constantly was "you want a Dominican boyfriend? you come home with me?"
the restaraunts are lovely and I can honestly say this was some of the best food ive ever had on any carribean/European holiday- there was so much to choose from that I don't understand how people can say they couldn't find anything to eat- they had everything!!!!
I have to say a huge thank you to the Thomson Rep Amos who is brilliant at his job and also juan carlos at customer services- hes hilarious!
DO NOT buy lilos from the shop in the grand bahis principe village (where the club, bar and casino is) we bought 3 and every single lilo went down by the end of the first day and they wouldn't exchange them they just told us to get out!!

Excursions- PLEASE READ
This is really important whatever you do DO NOT book and go on the DOLPHIN EXPLORER CRUISER. we booked this to swim with sharks and sting rays however we did not see a single shark or sting ray let alone swim with them- we were told we would have 45 minutes with them we were given 15 minutes to search for them then told to "get out or the boat leaves without you" when we got on the "Catamaran" (its not a catamaran just a normal boat) we were not allowed upstairs (where the sun was) because the captain had invited a whole load of his friends and family for a free day out! even though we paid extra for this trip because "its exclusive to thomsons" his friends and family would push us paying customers out the way and were so rude, as were the staff working on the boat we were told several times that we were not allowed to do this and were not allowed to do that however his friends and family were allowed to do whatever they wanted! this trip is a joke and so is the captain who was drinking all day!!!

The best trip is the sao ona island its gorgeous and such an amazing trip! this is a must do! the staff were great especially chocolatey!

personally I wouldn't go back to the Dominican republic- I would go and stay at another grand Bahia though! and for all those who have booked to go soon all I should say is prepare yourself for the airport at punta cana!! good luck!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments in regards to your experience during your last stay with us.

It is important to remark that the casino is managed by an external company. Please be assured that your observations have been taken in the highest consideration and shared with the Manager of the casino to analyze the points you mentioned.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We regret not having been able to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction.

Kind regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!