“Great Place to unwind” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

and 1 more site!
You added Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda-Macao, Punta Cana 9999, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #40 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
wiz3260
“Great Place to unwind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We recetly stayed at this resort for 10 days. There is a lot to comment so here I go.

This is a huge resort and the poeple, as are most Dominicans, are wonderfull and very attentive. This is the resorts greatest assest and I hopr thier management knows that !

This is a huge resortt, which depending on your preferrance could be a negative or a positive.

I was told that there were nearly 3000 rooms and since we went at the peak of the season, at times it felt a bit crowded. Compare it to a giant cruise ship on land in regards to the layout. Huge lobby, pools strategicly spread out across the entire complex as well as resturants galore and several large buffet areas, starting with the lobby and one ending up right by the beach !

Now to the specifics:

Room was adequate resort style room. We didn't get one with an ocean view but we were rarely in the room anyway and preferred to be at the pool near the pool bar.

Food was average or a little better on most occasions with pleanty of variety, but this does not mean that all of the food, all of the time was great. But you didn't go hungry, that for sure !

Staff was exceptional, as I stated before. Candid conversations with them highlighted the fact that thier management stressed this attitude to them OFTEN. There were of course a few(very few) lapses but that was due more to the high number of people and the fact the the staff was sometimes a little streched.

Value: We got an excellent deal for our group(consisting of 42 individuals). We paid, all inclusive, about $75 a day. This included all meals, snacks and all drinks(with or without alchohol). I got my money's worth on drinks alone.

Entertainment: Live entertainment was generaly pretty good with a variety of shows starting at around 7 PM and going in until 2 AM with again, food and drinks a plenty in every venue.

Active entertainment was not as good with Kyaking , some snorkeling equipment and a tank scuba diving lesson in the pool(the kids liked this the best !).

There was free WI-Fi on the property but we purposely didn't bring any of the ushual devices so we could focus on family and fun interactive time ! Look at my reviews for thos activities on this in Punta Cana as well. It was liberating to be disconected for 10 days.. I strongly suggest that you try it !

Room Tip: Since this resort is so big, it has TWO shuttle trains that run on either side of the resort. Take t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your vacation in Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana which we will take into great consideration. Also, we are proud to hear that you highlight our staff that works very hard to provide excellent service. Your comments will be a motivation for them.

Kind greetings,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Myself, 27 years old, and my sister, mom, and dad (ages 21-57) stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana from August 8th until the 15th, of this year. This was my tenth time to the Dominican Republic (third time to Punta Cana), but my first experience at this hotel.

The hotel is located about half an hour from the Punta Cana airport and as usual, we were shuttled to the hotel by a bus that also did drop-offs at other Grand Bahia sections. We were the closest drop-off from the airport.

We checked in at around noon: the process was about 15 minutes overall - longer than I am used to, but understandable because it is a bigger resort. We were told that our rooms would not be available until 3pm (that's standard anywhere), so we went and made our a la carte reservations and ate at the buffet, then hung around in the lobby. We had no problems getting reservations at the a la cartes, however, I would advise to make those reservations as soon as you arrive.

This particular hotel is part of a bigger complex that is broken down in to parts. We stayed at the Punta Cana, not the Esmerelda, nor the Bavaro. We had no special upgrades or anything like that, no Premier membership, so if you are just getting a basic package, this should be it. We stayed in building 10, which was in the middle of the lobby/buffet and the ocean, at least as much as it could be. There is a marshy-rainforest thing going on between the one set of buildings and the other, so we were on the ocean side. I find myself rambling with words when it's such a big place, but that's about as best as I can describe it. It was a great location nonetheless and if you can get anywhere in the middle, you're golden.

My sister and I were located on the 1st floor and we backed out on to the rainforest-looking place! It was a really nice surprise, seeing as we usually face another building, or a pool, or a field (only once have I faced the ocean!). The room was very pretty, clean, and comfortable. We had no complaints whatsoever. The fridge was fully stocked with water, beer, and pop, and we also received 2 additional 2L water bottles every day. The AC never went out, but we did need to use one of our room keys to keep it going. It made you save electricity, that's for sure. The beds were good - a little lumpy for myself with a bad back, but I got used to it. The sheets were very clean - no questionable stains! The room came with a free safe, which is always nicer than paying the $24 dollars a week charge. The bathroom had a working hair dryer, all the basic toiletries, and was a little more upgraded than the room itself (the room was older, but beautiful). The shower was always warm and the pressure was great. We never ran in to the housekeepers, but they did a great job. We always had enough towels, water, and toilet paper. We also had our beds turned down a couple of times at night, with chocolates on the pillows! I've never had that before, but it was appreciated. We tipped every day and also left a couple of dollarstore items (bobby pins, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.). Our parents were above on the second floor and had an initial different experience. Their balcony door and safe did not work when they first arrived, and they couldn't get in their room the next time they came back to it. The first night they were awoken by the housekeeper asking if they wanted towels, as well as security guards who had asked my parents if they could use their room to get to the room nextdoor, via the balcony. My parents obliged (this was well after midnight), and the workers quickly went in and out. But at around 5am, partying people woke them up (that's not the hotel's fault as much, but they did not have a great first night). So my dad went and complained to the front desk and after that, 6 nights of great sleep and everything in the room was fixed. The fridge of my parents was stocked with tons of beer, and the staff had made sure to put extra security at our building at night.

There are trolleys that run consistently from the lobby to the beach, and I believe that there were at least 3 different routes for the trolleys to take. We walked about half the time (depending on if the trolley was there or not, it was usually not full of people), but keep in mind, it is a pretty far walk. To go from the beach to the lobby/buffet, it was about 15 minutes. That's why we loved having our room in the centre. They have designated stops, but if you are coming out of your room and see the trolley going by, you can wave and they'll stop for you - really nice of them.

The main buffet for our section was really nice. Although it is a big resort, it never felt crowded when we went to eat. I don't know if it's because we ate earlier than others, it seemed (at around 7), or what, but we never had to wait longer than a minute to sit down. The servers were all very friendly, but we found that we hardly ever had the same server twice. It would be nice to see the same face and to establish that relationship, but it never happened. I don't know if it's because the hotel scatters everyone for equal opportunity or something (tips), but it was a little different for us. We tipped at every meal but didn't see anyone else really doing that. I know that it says "tips included" when you buy the package, but really, the trip was soooo cheap in the first place, and if you spend like $25 each in tips while you're there, you're not going to break the bank, but you could be making someone else's day a little bit better.

Overall, the food was fantastic. We also ate at the ocean buffet at lunch and, what a variety! I don't understand why people were hating on the food here, but they must be used to five-star dining back at home or something. We ate very well and there was tons of variety. They even had a vegetarian section, which was fantastic for my sister and I. If we could find enough food to eat, being picky vegetarians, then I don't understand why others could not. There were always lovely surprises each night and we all had our favourites. There were even chocolate fountains for dessert, yum. There was everything you'd have at a usual all-inclusive resort, but the food was of high quality, for sure.

We went to the Mexican a la carte and loved it! The meal starts off with a buffet-style first course, where we went up and got to choose from many Mexican fixtures, including these amazing cheese empanadas. We all tried different main dishes and were very happy with the results. We also went to the French restaurant and again, a great meal for all of us. My mom and dad said that the steak was exceptional, and my sister and I both enjoyed our vegetarian ratatouille. These are more formal places to dine, so you must wear something other than a tank top and shorts. The servers were so friendly and kind, and their english was great, even though I try to speak Spanish as much as possible.

I do not drink alcohol, but my family said the drinks were great. They serve the usual (but delicious) Presidente beer, as well as the Brugal rum and all that. They did have drinks with some of the alcohol you would see served in North America as well (Smirnoff, etc) and they were free of charge. My family loved to order Tom Collins drinks, and said that they were very refreshing. We loved all of the ladies who served in the lobby and frequented that place every night. The servers were kind and lovely. I loved the banana juice in the morning, as well as the choco-banana frozen drink at the beach - never had seen that one before. They also had Nestea machines at the beach. We tipped almost every drink we ordered and they would always hook us up with extra because of it. Please consider bringing a reusable mug - there's just so much waste there already and as an added bonus, you get more in your cup than the typical plastic that they provide!

We didn't really get involved in the activities but they seemed to be most active at the beach in the morning, and at the main pool in the afternoon. The main pool, or party pool as we called it, was packed! We never went in, but watched a couple of the games from the beach. The animation team did well with the shows at night but we only watched one, Legends, and it was great. Those teams work so hard to entertain. We went to the karaoke bar one night and it was lots of fun when people were singing, but if nobody decided to ask for a song, it didn't happen apparently! There was a huge kids waterpark as well, but we only saw it on our ways in and out of the hotel.

There were 3 pools in our section of the hotel, and we were not sure if we could use any of the others on the outskirts. We only went to one of the quiet pools for a couple of hours, and it was very nice. It wasn't crowded and the bar service was fast.

The beach! That is where we spent the majority of our trip, besides eating and sleeping, of course. As always, the water was beautiful and clear in Punta Cana. You could walk for kilometres each way and have no problems. There were various vendors, selling cigars, bracelets, statues, and day excursions, etc., but they never bothered us once. They just go by, holding their things, and say, "Hola." Really nice people, and I never felt annoyed or anything. There was the towel-saving game if you wanted shade, however. My mom and sister would take turns going down at 7:30am each morning, to get our usual spot, which was about 5 rows up from the beach. If you wanted a beach-front view, you'd have to wake up at 5:30am, I imagine. We could see just the top of the water from our spot, but we picked it because there was lots of room around us. We would have been able to be 3 spots from the water at that time, but we would have been on top of the people in front of us! I think the problem with the seat-saving was because everyone had access to 2 towels each. At first you think that this is great, but then you realize how many seats each person is reserving - one at the beach, one at the pool. They could definitely take that away for the future. The water was very crowded during the peak hours, but the ocean is huge, so of course you'll find room to swim. The waves were big at this part of the beach, and the shore was very clean, thanks to those guys in green who clean it every day.

Overall, the resort is really great if you're planning to travel with family or a big group with kids. We picked this hotel because of that, as my sister and I didn't want to go on a family vacation with our mom and dad to a couples resort! At no fault to the hotel, we'd rather stay at a smaller hotel next time, but for families with yonger kids, it's fantastic. It never felt overcrowded or understaffed, so to me, that makes for a great hotel. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is an honor to know that our personnel had provided our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. We would like to thank you for sharing your photos and impressions of your recent stay in Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana.

We hope to cater you back again!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your summer holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Receive a cordial greeting,

Blackwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

stayed at this hotel from july 30 to agaust 6. the resort itself was very pretty and very well maintained, i have no complaints in that area. the resort, however, was waaay to big. everything is spread so far apart that you have to take buses to everything. personally, i didnt like that. too many people to accomodate as well in a huge resort like this, which would not surprisingly affect the service you recieve. didnt seem as though there was enough staff to accomodate the number of people. alot of times things were empty at the buffet and didnt get replenished quick enough. the cleaning staff was not very good, none of them spoke english and couldnt understand any of our requests. our tub was clogged the entire week until they fixed it the last day. the lights in the room are way to dim, that annoyed me, i couldnt barely see my face in the mirror to put makeup on and apparantly, washcloths are not provided unless requested and i still couldnt get any. what hotel doesnt normally provide washcloths? The pool area was very nice/clean and the beach area was beautiful. I didnt care for the food very much. I stayed at the iberostar bavaro last year and i think that resort is much better for food, service, resort layout, and entertainment crew. I must say that the kids waterpark at gran bahia is fantastic! but again, it was sooooo far from the beach/pool/hotel room. going there was like taking a day trip, pack up, because we wont be back to the room for hours kind of thing

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Lisa,

We appreciate the time you have taken to send us your comments which are very important for us. We are sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations.

It is our sincere hope that you consider coming back to this Caribbean paradise in the Dominican Republic and enjoy all our facilities and services.

Receive a cordial greeting,

boston ma.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

we stayed aug 15 to 19...we had 5 rms in villa 10 they all smelled like they were built on top of a trash plant!! but we didnt complain, our AC was leaking on to the tile floor we just laid a towel down they didnt fix it we didnt complain..the celling was leaking over the toilet so when you sat on it.. drip, drip, drip, on your back..the cable from the tv to the wall was broken they did fix that..they ran out of towels at the pool..the beach was crowed we just paid one of the guys wearing a orange tee shirt 5$ a chair and he got them no problem..the food at the buffets were no where close to being delicious...being from boston i can name 10 sandwich shops off the top of my head that would blow that food off the map never mind boston reataurants..the beach was nice but i think it was a little bit to much seaweed...pools were nice..grounds were nice..for me the place was just to big at times confusing..one night totally sober mind you i couldnt tell if the beach was north south east or west of me its that big...but with all that being said we had a group of 13 and really just enjoyed being in each others company on a vacation..we did the speed boats and surfing and had a blast and a lot of laughs..i read my tripadvisor reviews and knew what to expect so all the negative i wrote above did not shock me in the least..overall had a great time...just to see my kids taking it all in was priceless...i would not stay here again it just wasnt for me...hope this helps enjoy....paulie wallnuts

Dear Paulie,

We sincerely regret any unfortunate situation encountered during your stay. Our customer´s comments are very important for us and we deeply apologize not being able to cover your expectations.

We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again in any of our hotels.

Kind regards,

Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Yes it is a big resort...and yes, there are a lot of people staying there and did get very busy...........BUT the resort is beautiful, the grounds are immaculate, the pools big and clean, the beach is a little crowded but great, the sea a beautiful turquoise and deliciously warm. Getting around the resort is easy as the trams run all over the place...so you may have to wait or bit or (shock horror) actually walk!! Man, there are a lot of lazy people on trip advisor :-) The rooms are adequate, comfortable enough, without being spectacular, but I didn't come here to sit in the room...the service, as someone said is hit and miss..... our room was cleaned well and the additional tips helped. The service in the a la carte restaurants was great and in the main buffet place it was decent. Some Spanish is a must and it helps greatly. Some of the employees seem a little unmotivated but as there are over 1,000 employees here, it is understandable a simple reality of life!!
Whoever complians about the food is just extremely fussy.......it was good and the Garden Grill and Pescador were very good......Mexican and the Japanese were good too and the buffet has everything. How anyone can complain about the food is beyond me.......the beach snack bars were great too for a quick lunch time snack. The trips we had outside of the hotel were both good, especially the half day trip to swim with the sharks and stingrays.......Kids club entertained the kids and the water park, although for smaller kids, was cool!! Overall a great trip, I would recommend the resort.........wouldn't return simply becos I like to go to new places (maybe Ssamana or la Romana next)! Great deal, great time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Client,

For all our team working is rewarding to read that we were able to meet your expectations and to know that enjoyed a great rip.

We are looking forward to welcome you in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Warmest regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time staying at a Bahia Principe resort and we had a great time from Aug. 9-16, 2013! Since it was our second time we were upgraded to VIP but I dont think it made any difference...just given more access to different parts of the resort but since no one checked wrist bands it seemed as if anyone could go anywhere. We stayed at a Bahia in Jamaica, but this Bahia in Punta Cana was overwhelmingly big. It was a huge resort with many different sections. It took a few days to really know where things were but luckily there were trams all over the resort to get you around. They ran very frequently. My son loved the kids waterpark and liked being in the kids program. ... Although we probably liked the kids program more than he did. We did a great excursion called the Caribbean festival. We loved it and there was a promotion on that allowed our six year old to go for free. Overall a great trip for families as there are many activities and so many different pools to swim in....
Some downfalls..
-way too big
-hated the food...but my son and husband seemed ok with it
-no real consistent kids activities in the mini scouts kids program...perhaps a schedule of daily activities that is displayed somewhere would have been good so that parents know what the kids would be doing each day
-great service was hit or miss...sometimes rooms were cleaned early, sometimes you would get great waiters and waitresses
-there were many people that worked there that spoke little to no English....some may be annoyed by this but I loved it....it reminded me everyday that I was on vacation and I was forced to learn some Spanish. ...many spoke French as well so my husband was able to use his French.

Overall we had a great time!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you had an excellent family trip in Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. On behalf our General Manager and all staff members we would like to thank you for vacationing with us and for sharing your experience which is very important to value our daily development.

We do hope you consider visiting us in the near future.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Yours sincerely,

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I would like to start off by saying this was a destination wedding with about 60 people. So this trip was not the most relaxing vacation. I have never been to a resort this large and I don't think I'd ever want to again. Everything was way to spread out. Any restaurant you wanted to go to was either a 15-20min walk or a shuttle ride away. The resort was located pretty much in the middle of nowhere so outside of the resort activities, there wasn't really much to do. They've built a little community of shops and what not at the front so people will have things to do without leaving the resort, but that's it (this is also good because it's away from all the rooms to bother anyone who is sleeping at night).
The people were very friendly and I noticed it was a mix of younger and older people (though leaning a little to the younger crowd).
The food was fine...nothing extravagant, nothing to complain about. If you do the a la carte...DEFINITELY book the French restaurant, it was VERY good!
I will say that almost everyone on our trip at some point or another had stomach problems...and by that I mean diarrhea.
The most upsetting thing was that the day we were leaving, we left a camera in the room (with the memory card in it with many wedding photos on it) and after trying to contact the resort many times after we returned home...no one had seen it or heard anything about it.
The camera was not a big deal...it was more about the photographs that were lost.
All in all...the wedding and experience with friends were great, but I personally have no desire to return.

Room Tip: Pick a room closer to the beach. The resort is SO large that if you are on the beach and forget some...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We sincerely regret that our overall image may have been tarnished with this unfortunate situation.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and be able to change any negative perception and experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Warmest regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!