“Overall good experience, with some non-premium issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Areana Gorda-Macao, Seccion Baigua, Higuey-Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #40 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Porto
“Overall good experience, with some non-premium issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We travelled to BP Punta Cana in the start of August13.

Positive aspects:
1.The facilities are awesome, with a real waterpark for the kids, minigolf course, tennis, football... everything you can imagine and the gardens are stunning: Beautiful and very well maintained.
2. The pool areas are very good. The 2 pools in the middle of the complex are very quiet but the pool next to the beach is very noisy with some US style animation... But the pools are huge, very well decorated, perfect for the children and always very clean.
3. Beach is really nice, very clean, with lifeguards included and always secure. No problem with non-authorized sales or circulation of strange people. We felt always very secure. The beach animation is very amusing.
4. The transport system along the complex is efficient, with short waiting times. Very funny also... The complex is very big, but you can walk easily inside from your room to the beach.
5. The waterpark is really nice for children. My kid could live there for the entire week, i guess...
6. The rooms are big and confortable, but some of them seemed a bit older. Our first room had a water flood in the first night we arrived. The maintainance staff came quick and solved the problem, but there was water all over the floor. I demanded a new room and the hotel supervisor came to our room, asked for eventual damages, gave us another room and a upgrade to a silver bracelet, wich was very valuable in all the stay (we could have lunch and breakfast in a much more quiet Mexican restaurant near by the beach). He was very nice and efficient.
7. The night shows are very good and the entertainment lasts for more than 2 hours.

Negative aspects:
1. The hotel was fully booked. This means you will get lines for almost everything, but the worst scenario is the dinner time. Long-time waiting lines guaranteed. As we had silver bracelets, we could lunch and take the breakfast in Mexican Restaurant near the beach. This restaurant is much more quiet.
2. The a-la-carte restaurants we tried were worst than the normal buffet. Don't worth the time lost on booking them and the service is very slow.
3. The food quality and variety is not bad, but the desserts are really low-cost type. The fruit is bad and the ice cream was probably the worst i tasted in my entire life...
4. The "towel booking" tradition is really annoying. If you don't get on the beach at 7.am you won't get a shade and a sunbed. And believe me, there are plenty of them...
4. The reception staff (except the supervisor we met) is the opposite they should be. No simpathy, no smile... nothing! Robot-type staff. When i check-out, not even a thank you was given from the guy... I'm not even asking for the basic "have a nice flight home and we hope to see you soon in the future" normal behaviour. A complete desaster and a mass-turism effect. This is probably the worst issue on the entire experience. You just fell like one more sheep in the process and that´s not pleasant...

So, in resume if you can avoid the high-season overbooked dates, you will get a wonderful experience. The weather is fantastic, the beach is stunning and the hotel is very beautiful and with excellent entertainment areas for all the ages.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are more mosquito-proof at the end of the day.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that all your family was delighted by the activities and services provided in Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort. We sincerely appreciate all feedback which allow us to evaluate our daily performance.

It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again!

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Receive cordial greetings,

3,361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This was my second experience at Bahia principe hotels. The first one was in Mexico (Akumal) but this one over perform the former in almost every aspects, with the exception of the beach, as Beach at Punta Cana are not very kids-friendly (due to waves and some wind). But even the beach is quite good but above all very beautiful. The facilities are good and animation is permanent either at the swimming pull either at the beach. The rooms are quite good but if you want a better service do leave a tip every morning. I noticed that this hotel is the choice of many American tourists. Some bachelor parties become the evenings not very pleasant for kids at the swimming pool. Restaurants are good as the variety of the food served. The sun chair reservation (not allowed) is a common practice that you should keep if you want to have a place to rest after a swim, so wake up early in the morning. Have fun

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort and to learn that we were able to succeed your expectations.

Thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to welcome you back again.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in Punta Cana.

Kindest regards,

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

It was my first vacation to an all inclusive and it would set my expectations on what a vacation would be like. Check-in was 9pm and was completed on the bus onroute to the resort, our representative greeted us with big smiles and had our "packages" with key cards, maps and schedule of shows as. Upon arrival Bags were promptly taken straight to our rooms. Overall the resort seemed very clean, we stayed in building 11 on the 3rd floor, no inspects,bugs and I was happy with the room overall and was in the middle of the action. I wish my minibar was refrigerated but was told by the front desk they didnt work, so that was useless. We went Aug 3rd to 10th. Very chill, not too many people, never had a problem finding a spot at the beach or by the pool. The staff was not overly friendly, nor did they seem to go "above beyond" ever, yet I still tipped every time I was served. The staff just do "what needs to be done" but not above it. At times I had to wait 10-15 minutes just for a coke at the buffet, so better off drinking water. The food was decent and edible but I wouldn't say it was "excellent" or mind blowing, i didnt mind it and it wasnt a deal breaker. We had 3 a la cartes however none of our first choices were available so we settled for the less popular ones. It was annoying to find out people who checked in after us and went to guest services even days after got their preferred reservations (luck of the draw?). The animation team, and people like William were great and helped keep things lively and fun, but the rest of the staff didnt seem to be happy. In general I enjoyed my vacation and would return to this resort because it was clean and well kept but I would set my expectations lower on the staff. The only rude encounter I had was with Emile Lansky who worked the helicopter desk. I was trying to decide what time and he seemed to be annoyed and even said "can you decide?". I just said forget it and didnt bother. Hopefully next time I get to try some of the popular a la carte's and explore outside the resort.

Room Tip: Building 10-11 is in the middle of the resort (half way to the beach, and main buffet) but besides t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Angelo,

For all our team it is great to hear that you were pleased during your first trip to the Dominican Republic. Thank you for sharing your experience which has been taken in the highest consideration.

We hope to welcome you in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

The hotel and the people were so nice and dedicated to their work and crafts. If you can speak some Spanish you will have no problem here. Most employees speak some English. The food was excellent but is cooked differently than we are used to in the U.S. the Buffets run most of the day and night so being fed is not a problem.
You only get three dinners per family per stay any dinner after that will be extra charge. Make sure you make dinner reservations the day you arrive. The lines are sometimes long to make reservations but worth the wait. Take a lot of one dollar bills. Tipping is a must if you want some extras or some help but always tip first and not after. I never exchanged any currency. Most places you go to take u.s. dollars. The rooms were nice although we were not in them much but the floors are all marble so watch your step. You have to make reservations for any activity the day before you want to do it. There are many free water activities but if you have not done them before there are lessons to do for an extra charge. Don't get caught in any promotions or sales there, they don't take no for an answer and want you to spend thousands of dollars.
Try to treat yourself to the Bahia spa, it is a wonderful experience. Take lots of sunscreen. It is 24.00 u.s. for one bottle. We booked two excursions through the hotel. We had a great experience for sure. The snuba, speed boat tour is just wonderful. The dolphin tour is also. We heard the zip line is also very nice. The pools are very nice. The beach is fantastic. Lounge chairs are abundant at both places but try to get out early and put a towel on your chair to keep it or just be patient and one or two will become free. No rooms sit on the ocean and some are a hike to the beach, but trolleys run day and night. We never had a problem getting a trolley.
Night life is abundant and there is also a kids room that you can leave them in and feel safe with them being there.
Overall the Bahia Principe is a great place to stay for the cost. It is well ran, well kept, you feel safe there and full of things to do for all ages.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Client,

We are pleased to hear that we were able to achieve your expectations and it is nice to know that you had great memories from paradise.

Thank you for sharing your impressions concerning your experience and we hope to see you in the near future in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Warm regards,

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I must start off by saying I never write reviews, but I felt it was my duty to do so because of the horrible experience I had at the Grand Bahia! My cousin and I arrived August 8 to a complete and utter debacle. Let me start off by saying the only saving grace was the supervisor Adrian who went above and beyond to make our stay better. We knew we would be arriving early, and let the hotel know that we would need an early check in which they said wouldn't be a problem. Lies! We were told 15 minutes, and lets just say that turned into 2 hours! OK, so we get to the room, and guess what the air conditioner and refrigerator are broken, and their is hair all over the floor. The balcony door was broken. It was a disaster, so we go back to the desk and complain, and are told that if we would like to upgrade we would have to pay $35/night each which is up surd. Finally the supervisor Adrian stepped in and changed our room, but we didn't get to this room until 5:30. Pretty much the whole day was wasted!

The other issue is the resort is huge. It is 4 hotels pretty much on a huge compound, and in order to get anywhere you have to take a trolly or walk and everything is so far away from each other. Its exhausting!!! The beach is a good 15 minute walk from the lobby where the buffet is. Way too much work for a vacation!!!!

The people at the front desk are completely incompetent, and there is a definite lack of communication. My mom called 4 times with the room # and was hung up on, or sent to the wrong room finally she gave up!

Last but not least the food! The food at the buffet is comparable to JAIL HOUSE SLOP!!!!!! It was the worst food I have ever encountered at an all-inclusive. It was disgusting and my cousin and I were sick throughout the whole trip because of the terrible food. I felt like I was being poisoned!!! YES IT WAS THAT BAD!!!! This really put a damper on our trip since we were sick the whole time. I literally got nauseous from just looking at the food. We just ate bread and pineapple for the rest of the trip. We also ate at two of the restaurants; the steak house and Japanese place. They were ok, way better than the buffet but nothing great.

All in all the hotel is extremely disorganized, there is a definite lack of communication, and it is way too big for any quality to exist. Punta Cana is a beautiful place, but if I ever go back I will definitely stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Giselle,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Hotel.

Regarding your comments about your experience, allows us inform you that on those days and taking into account the high occupancy, we cannot conclude that our hotel is the causative of your illness. Our hotel follows a very strict hygiene, quality and security program monitored by the international company Cristal.

We apologize for any inconvenience and we sincerely regret not being able to fulfill your expectations.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Still here at the bahia punta cana our 11th day. We stayed here 2 years ago with our 2 kids which are now 8 and 10. Great time 2 years ago, not so much now.
1st room was a single bed for 4 of us and the a/c and outlets didn't work. After 7 days of trying to get a roll a way bed and going to the front desk they have us room #2. Full of mold and sewer was backed up with a very bad smell. 3 days later and room number 3 the room has black mold all around the a/c unit and light switchs are all broke. Not sure what to do know but just try to make the best of the rest of our vacation.
Rooms need updated BAD!!! Showing horrible wear in 2 years. The front desk and staff are nice and helpful, but are very limited on what they can do by upper management from what I've been told.
We are now staying in the number 20 villa and hopefully management will read this and help us fix whats left of our vacation. Our ext is 20111.

• Stayed August 2013
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Erick,

We truly appreciate your feedback. Our guests´ opinions are very important for us. Please rest assured that we are taking your observations into great consideration and have been transmitted to the Management.

Denville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family of 7 stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana 7/13 for 7 days. We used Dominican Quest for our hotel transfer. $90.00 round trip for 7! They were waiting for us and the trip to the hotel was uneventful. We were able to get 3 rooms all on the first floor in the 1800 building which is close to the lobby, theater and buffet. All rooms had king beds which left it inconvenient for the children, sister in law and mother in law but there was a sofa bed. Rooms were acceptable but could be updated (flat screen TV). Safe didn't work for 2 days. The beach is a 10 minute walk but there are frequent trolleys. Beach is clean and pretty. Need to get out at 8am to put your towel on chairs if you want shade. Pools have activities and are clean.

Buffet and a la carte restaurants are acceptable. No complaints except for the wire my daughter found in her fried ice cream in the Japanese restaurant. They sent us a fruit basket but who needs that at an all inclusive! We ate a the Japanese, Tex-Mex and French and enjoyed all 3. You absolutely need to email the resort 2 weeks ahead of time to reserve the restaurants. They will send for an email confirmation. When you check in the meal tickets will be waiting for you. If you do not do this, don't expect to eat at the a la carte restaurants.

Most of the staff speak Spanish only but I did not see a problem with this. We did take the snorkeling trip using the glass bottom boat right from our beach. Fun but not great snorkeling for $50.00. The shows were also acceptable and they had 2 performances each night. This is the only time you need the bug spray. Casino is small and dingy but I did win $80.00 playing the penny slot machine. There is also a comedy how by the casino but it is in Spanish.

Overall, for less than $1200.00 per person it was a great trip .

Room Tip: Book the restaurants via email 2 weeks before.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Janine,

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. We are happy to learn that you had a great family vacation.

It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Always at your disposal,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!