“Wasn't Worth My Visit & Time Expended” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Areana Gorda-Macao, Seccion Baigua, Higuey-Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #39 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Wasn't Worth My Visit & Time Expended”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Grand Bahia Principe in the Dominican Republic did not live up to the expectatons built by the travel agency that recommended the Resort! First, you had to make reservations to any of the restaurants..not a problem if the restaurants were available. I was down for a 4 day trip and from the first day, all the restaurants were already booked for the entire week when I arrived. The hotel failed to inform me that I had to make reservations at all...I found this out on tripadvisor.
Also..you had to pay extra for the safe that was in your room....cheap! Also...no free internet; if you wanted access in your room, it cost extra. If you do go, call the resort direct, you'll get better prices than provided by a travel agent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Bill,

We feel so sorry to hear that our service has not reached your expectations. We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor which we will take in the highest consideration.

We hope to have another opportunity and honor us with your visit in order to change any negative perception about our services.

Yours sincerely,

3,189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Polish first
Wellington, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The property is exquisite and beautifully manicured. The resort is very spread out and a tram is provided, but the walkways are wide, with lovely landscaping and you'll find walking is idyllic. Mosquitoes are an issue, so bring repellent. The resort did fumigate the area, but the pesky pests invaded anyway. Many pools to choose from and warm ocean waters will entice the swimmer in you! Not many staff speak English or only a very limited version of English, so if Spanish isn't your language of choice, brush up on some basics to make your stay go more smoothly.Leidy and Luis in reception were top notch and MOST HELPFUL!!! They will rise in management quickly as they have all the qualities of leadership and resort-kindness.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to post your experience.

It will be a pleasure for all of us to host you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Kindest regards,

michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana over Easter break, March 31 - April 7, 2013. Overall we had an enjoyable stay, however on our departure day things went south. My review is categorized by sections. I hope you enjoy it and I welcome any comments or questions you have!

Departure from home:
We flew American Airlines from Detroit to PUJ with one stop. It was a pleasant and uneventful flight. Upon arrival in PUJ we quickly retrieved our bags, and were through immigration and to resort within one hour. There are porters all over the airport & they will grab you bags off the carousel without asking you. My husband wasn’t please about this in the beginning, but we decided to let them do their “thing” & we’re glad we did. From the time they grabbed our bags to the time we were on the bus for our resort it only took 10 minutes. The porter cut in line for our security bag check cutting in front of the people not using porters.

Check In:
Our check in was seamless including a welcome drink waiting for us at the hotel. We were upgraded to building 14, room number 14305. The room was located on the third floor over looking the pool. We were greeted by flowers, towel art and two bottles of whiskey...a very nice touch. The location was ideal due it being in the middle of the resort, a short walk to the lobby, beach, beach pool and two of the specialty restaurants.

Hotel:
This resort is huge. It also has a lot activities catering to just about everyone, however if you don't want to do a lot of walking there is a "mini" bus that runs almost 24/7. The grounds are constantly being trimmed, plucked and mowed. All buildings were three story with access to the rooms by multiple flights of stairs. The lobby is gigantic with many areas sectioned off for various entertainment, the hotel desk is also located there.

Rooms:
Our room was large and tastefully decorated in a tropical theme. There was our requested king bed as well as a pull out couch, dresser, nightstands and a well-appointed bathroom. One interesting thing to note in the bathroom is there is no full enclosure in the shower, it is a half enclosure. When taking a shower the floor got soaked, which was challenging to get out of because there is a large step to get out of the shower. We liked the ample closet space and safe. In other reviews people said you had to pay to use the safe, we did not experience that. We used it everyday day and did not get charged at check out.

Service:
Service was a mixed bag. Some staff treated you like royalty while others seemed like your question/request was a nuisance, especially at the beach bar. Servers at the lobby bar where friendly and warm, so much so that we tipped them. Our maid service was good, but due to the number of rooms they cleaned, ours was uncleaned at 5:00 in the afternoon a few days, so we just hung the do not disturb sign out. Initially I was annoyed about that, but when I needed extra towels or had another request they were very prompt. The service in the restaurants was efficient but nothing to write home about. One thing I did before I left was make reservations for the restaurants, be sure you have your confirmed reservations request printed and in hand each time you have a restaurant reservation, if you don't they have a hard time finding your reservation.

Food:
We ate at the buffets, beach bar, steak and Japanese restaurants. The buffets were surprisingly very good with a tremendous selection. There was always made to order pasta, pizza, carved meat etc. Each night was a different theme but there was always something “yummy” to eat. The beach bar buffet was my least favorite place to eat, especially at breakfast. The steak restaurant was very good, but structured a little different. Once you have made your steak selection, you go to a buffet to get any appetizers or dessert. I have not experienced that before and didn’t like it. I think if you are in a specialty restaurant you should have a higher level of service. The Japanese restaurant was absolutely terrible. The teppanyaki steak was mystery meat at best, it was so tough and flavorless I couldn’t eat it. I left there and headed to the buffet next door and had a wonderful pasta dish.

Beach/Pool:
We spent most of our time at the beach. I was up at 7:00 and had secured two primo spots by 7:30 every morning. By 10:00 there were virtually no lounge chairs. What I was fuming about almost everyday was the rudeness of the people on the beach. There were several times when people would get a lounge chair and move it directly in front of me, blocking my view of the ocean, and getting so close to my chair I could touch it, UNBELIEVEABLE!!! If I am out early enough to get a great spot on the beach then I should have a great spot. One day I had finally had enough and moved around this couple, they just looked at me. For the rest of our stay, if someone moved in front of me I would move in front of them. It became this ridiculously funny game but it worked! My husband told some guy to “back off” and give him some space, this guy moved his chair so that it was touching my husbands. The resort was mainly Europeans with about ten percent being from the U.S. The ocean water was very warm and the staff were constantly cleaning the seaweed. The beach is absolutely stunning with crystal clear water, very picturesque. We went to the beach/pool one day and found it to be too full of noisy kids even in the adult section. My husband needed a higher SPF sunscreen so he purchased a bottle of 45 Banana Boat poolside at a whopping $27.00…what a rip off. Before you leave home go to your local drug store, the same sunscreen at home was $8.99. The pool near building 14 in the middle of the resort was awesome. It was very quiet and peaceful in the morning until the music started at 11:00, hope you like Pitbull and Rihana.

Departure from Punta Cana:
My husband went to the hotel rep that arranged transfers to the airport two days before we departed to secure an earlier transfer. The rep assured him we had ample time to get to the airport and check bags and there was no need to go earlier. Our check out was seamless and the transfer bus picked us up according to schedule. Upon arriving at the PUJ airport we discovered a very, very long line (over 200 people) to print our boarding passes at a kiosk. There were four kiosks and ran incredibly slow. When we were almost up the kiosk the power went out and stayed out for approx. 20 minutes. Finally, 40 minutes later we had our boarding passes and were escorted to an even longer line to check bags. Once again the power went out, this time for 40 minutes. After an hour we had checked our bags and saw the 300 + people trying to get through security, but the power went out AGAIN! I could go on and on, but needless to say we were sprinting to get to our plane. When we arrived in Philly for our connection we sat on the tarmac because there were over 1,000 people waiting to go through U.S. customs. We sprinted again to get to our next flight, thankfully they waited for us and a handful of other people. We had not eaten since we left the resort at 10:00 a.m. so we were starving on top of all the other aggravation. I think had we left earlier as my husband had requested a lot of this aggravation could have been avoided. My husband and I have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and never experienced this type of irritation, for that reason I won’t be back to Punta Cana for a very long time. For the same money, I would go back to the Riu in Cabo San Lucas where they happily accommodated our request for an early transfer.

All in all I enjoyed the amazing weather, 90+ and sunny everyday and the relaxation I felt laying on the beach all day. As I mentioned, due to the horrific circumstances we encountered at the hotel and airport we will be heading back to Cabo for our next vacation!

Room Tip: Request building 14, it is in the middle of the resort
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your last stay with us.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Best regards,

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I wrote a review but have not seen it posted so I am writing another one:)
It was our first time in Punta Cana and we stayed at the club golden.....
It is a well kept place, Beautiful! The staff at the club golden were amazing , Lily was a real doll and made us feel so comfortable , Dear Rosa was amazing:) Also thanks to Valentine and Est2ban! I want to go back so bad! The Shows to the beach and the lobbys! Keep up the great work Club Golden!!!!!! :)
Susie Shalak!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Susie,

We are delighted to know that you had an awesome time with us during your last visit to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in the Dominican Republic.

Warm greetings,

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent 2 weeks at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana, from June 5th to the 19th. There were 7 of us, all cousins. Some of us have been at this resort many times and as usual the service was outstanding, the rooms extremely clean, excellent food at all the restaurants, marvelous staff, great beach with gardens and grounds well maintained. 2 of my cousins and my daughter had never been to the DR and after this great experience we will do it again next year to the same resort. I want to thanks Mr. Ignacio Subias, General Director of the entire complex, Roberto Iglesias, Mgr. of the BH Punta Cana, Ivan Tejeiro, Mgr. of BH Bavaro, Peco Jimenez, Executive Assitant of the BH Ambar, as well as Omaira Garcia of Gold Plan, Juan Carlos and Isaias of "activities" for the hard work they are doing on this outstanding resort. In fact my husband and I are already booked for a week in Oct. and started to plan our next family reunion for next year.
Ketty N.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ketty,

Your outstanding experience is a true statement of the dedication of our staff to guarantee that you have all the necessary components for a memorable stay. We don´t know how to thank you for such wonderful compliments.

Rest assured that we are already looking forward to have you with us again.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Punta Cana.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

As a family of 4 we have been to this hotel 4 times in the last five years, the hotel is immaculate, the attention to detail is faultless, ghe food is always fresh, and there is a chioce for everyone, the pools are still spacious when the hotel is full, so we have just re booked to go on 27th August 2013, this will be our 5th time to G B P, we just love it so much that WE would not book to go ANY where else in D R, it's just like heaven ( if I knew what heaven looked like ) just can't wait, chill time.
We will be booked under BUDD

• Stayed September 2012
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Client,

We would like to thank you for your loyalty. As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. It is thanks to guests like you, that Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts has reached the success and gained prestige through the last years.

Please don´t hesitate to contact us prior arrival to organize all the details for another memorable vacation.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Always at your disposal,

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just returned after a fabulous 2 weeks spent at Grand Bahia Principe - Punta Cana. From the moment we arrived at the resort, we were taken care of, from checking in to being assisted to our room. The gardens and grounds are outstanding and well maintained. There are numerous pools to choose from as well as the lovely beach. We had no complaints about the food and eat at a number of restaurants, which all provided good service and standards. The staff are very helpful and polite and will do anything to oblige and the chambermaid we had was very good. The overall cleanliness of all areas of the resort were very good. We only watched the Michael Jackson tribute evening but we enjoyed this show. All in all, we would return to this resort as all round, value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Claire,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your last stay in Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. It is great to learn that you could enjoy a nice time together with us.

It will be a pleasure to cater you in the near future!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Warm greetings,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!