“Fell in love with Punta Cana” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

You added Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda, Punta Cana 9999, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #45 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Fell in love with Punta Cana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my first trip to an all inclusive resort; my first trip outside of the US and I am so glad we chose Punta Cana. My cousin and I (both single gals) decided to take a girls trip and landed on the Grand Bahia just by researching. At first, I was scared by the reviews. Too big, crowded etc, but after our visit, I would definitly stay here again.

Resort
The resort yes is huge but it gives you a variety of things to do. There are multiple pools, many bars, and really great restaurants. Everyone is super friendly and always willing to help. If you are looking for a relazxing trip, however, this resort may not be your cup of tea. The men that run the activities during the day at the pool are constantly trying to get you involved. At first I was annoyed when I was just trying to read my book, but then I also appreciated the fact that they truly wanted you to get involved and enjoy every moment of your Grand Bahia experience. As a single girl, I was a little creeped out by their approach towards woman. Always winking, or flirting. It was kind of a turn off and I did find myself avoiding them as much as possible. If you like flattery, then you'll love the pool.

Pools/Beach
The pools are beautiful with swim up bars. During the day, I didnt have anyone come serve me drinks which was fine because I saved my money with not tipping as much. I would recommend going down to the pool in the AM and claiming your chairs with your towels. No one will bother them. We actually left our towels down there one day for 6 hours while we went on an excursion and they were still there when we came back. There is a buffet right next to the pools so you dont have to go far to grab lunch. The drinks were so so. Prepare mixes and they threw some rum at the bottom making the frozen beverages real watery. My cousin and I chose their beer, with LIME!! It tasted just like a corona! Bring your own cup too. Makes a world of difference. The beach on the otherhand, while absolutely beautiful, was sooo crowded. We put our towels down one AM and when I came back someone moved them so we didnt have seats. Again, no one served you on the beach but you save on tips. Same beverages served their. Everyone is trying to sell you something but just shake your head No and they will go away.

Entertainment
I absolutely loved the shows. The MIchael Jackson show was great and so was the circus. The theatre is beautiful. This was one of my favorite parts. The lobby always had entertainment and signature drinks served differently each night. The lobby was absolutely gorgeous and we spent most of our nights on the beautifully lit patio lined with palm trees.

Bleh. For me at least. The buffet was always crowded and people push - alot! They have alot of everything. For lunch we often made ourselves a sandwich. It is very very hard to get a reservation for dinner so I would email them ahead of time. We were able to get 2. The japanese restaurant which was the best food I ate the entire trip. Sushi and habachi. Then Mexican. That was so so but they served you margaritas!

Rooms
Who cared about the rooms! We spent our time at the pool or in the ocean! The bathroom tub didnt train really well but I didnt care so much. We tipped the maid $5.00 and she brought us extra water and beer, as well as towels. The beds were so comfy and our balcony overlooked the grounds. I loved them personally.

All in all it was a perfect vacation despite some of the food and the creepy male employees. I would absolutely go back to the Grand Bahia and hope to do so in the near future!

Room Tip: Get the Royal Golden club. We were literally 20 feet from the pool and right next to the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Please be assured that your opinion have been taken in the highest consideration.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and continue providing the best vacations.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (976)
  • Polish first
Bradford, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I am sitting in the lobby of the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana, Dominican Republic starting to write my review.

First the down sides. We stayed in the 16000 building, our roof leaked above our toilet so every time you sat down you got drips on your head. After contacting the maid someone was there to fix it. It dripped for two more days then stopped. Secondly, we were very disappointed that we could not extend our room. We had to check out at 12:00 and our bus for the airport did not come until 6:50pm. That's almost 7 hours we would have had to sit if we didn't have friends who were staying on the Bavaro side. We went and put our bags in there room, and were able to have a shower before coming to sit in the lobby. For people who's bus doesn't come until late they should be given the option to extend there rooms. Even if it would have cost us money, we would have paid just to have the convenience of our own room. We have been on many trips to the south, and have always been able to extend our check out time and stay in our room.

Now the up side.

We travelled by Air Canada, people warned us that they were not a nice airline to fly with, however, we found them to be very nice and had absolutely no problem with them.

We arrived late at night, and we were whisked off to our bus. We were given our package with our wrist bands, hotel key, towel cards, and reservation slip which we filled out on the bus. This saved us so much time, as when we got to the hotel we could go straight to our room. After getting our luggage and going to our room, we went to explore the grounds. We were meeting a group of 24 people who were staying on the Bavaro side, so we pretty much stayed on that side the whole week. The grounds are kept immaculate. There are people working everyday to make sure they are kept up. The waitresses are very nice and friendly, and took our orders, which were for a large group, and brought them back as quick as the bartender could get them made. We went to one show, which was the Michael Jackson show. If you are planning to see a show, this is a must. It was amazing. We ate at 3 al a cartes, one Italian, Japanese and Barbeque grill, the Japanese was absolutely amazing, the food excellent, so was the Barbeque Grill, steak was cook just perfect, and the chicken and shrimp were really good. The Italian was so, so. We felt like we were being rushed to get out. The buffet was good, only one night I had a complaint. They were serving lobster, and it was not cooked fully, so be careful. Other than that, the buffet was really good, I don't know what some people complain about, everyone that served us was more than friendly and were right there to refill our glasses and ask if we needed anything. There was a different theme every night, so there was a variety of things to eat. Breakfast was pretty much the same, but what do you expect, it's breakfast, there are only so many breakfast foods to eat.

Our room was ok, have been in worse, and have been in better. Was disappointed that the floor was not washed every day. Also missed the towel art and the nice flowers that I have had in all the other rooms I have stayed in.

The pools were awesome, very clean. It was hard to get a chair some days, so they may want to look at getting more chairs and umbrellas as this hotel holds a ton of people. We are not ocean people, however, were down there for a walk, and it is very busy, hard to find a spot down there.

The vendors in the courtyard are annoying always trying to get you to buy stuff, but we just told them no, and they left us alone. The people who run the casino we amazingly friendly.

The bus that runs between hotels is a lifesaver.

Remember to bring insect spray, as the bugs are bad at night, and are in your rooms. We brought a can of raid with us and sprayed the first night we got there, and every night after that. Sprayed around the door, and then put a towel under it. Also brought the OFF continuous spray that we left on all night. It was a life saver, as we hardly got any bites at all. All our friends were bitten to death.
Overall we had a great vacation, and we surprised our friends.

Room Tip: We were on the Punta Cana side in building 16000, it was a short walk to one of the pools, and to th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments in regards to your experience during your last stay with us.

We think is important to remark that our check-in time is at 15:00h and check out is at 12:00h. However, we offer a late check-out service which is subject to availability and has an extra charge. Besides, we have a courtesy room to keep our guests luggage, as well as bathrooms to take a shower.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy and good service from our employees.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed in the Royal Golden section of this resort from February 23-March 2 this year.

I will preface by saying that this was my first time going to the Dominican Republic. Previously, we have been to Cuba (four times) and Jamaica once as well as one cruise.

Overall, this is a very nice resort and there were few issues (and none of any real significance).

When we got on the bus from the airport to the resort, we had a great first impression as it was before noon, and they were already giving us the room keys. We were surprised that our rooms would be ready so early... however, our keys were quickly taken back as it turned out that our rooms actually were not ready.. they should have just not given us the keys and told us that we would get them when the rooms were ready.

We got to the resort and headed to the buffet to kill some time and have lunch prior to checking in (since our room wasn't ready). After lunch, we headed to the Royal Golden reception and were able to get our room key. It was nice that the room was ready so early (130ish) because checkin time is supposed to be 3.

The resort accommodated our request of putting our room close to the others that we were travelling with. One of the other couples was in the room beside us and the other was in the building directly across (so still very close even though not in the same building).

The room itself was pretty nice, but didn't blow us away. I was surprised that we had to pay an additional four dollars per day to get a safe.. that seemed a little ridiculous. It isn't a large sum of money to spend $28 on a safe for the week, and by all means worth it... but this is the first time I have been to a resort where I had to pay for a safe...just seems like a bit of a cash grab which is unnecessary.

The bed wasn't the most comfortable thing I have slept on in my life, but it wasn't too bad. The pillows were pretty horrible though (very lumpy and weird feeling). The resort would be wise to bear a fairly minimal expense and buy new pillows.

There was very little water pressure in our shower part of the time (I guess during the predinner rush). At one point, I actually couldn't have any shower at all because the pressure was so low. In the mornings, it was better though... there likely isn't a lot that the resort could do about this, so oh well.

There was one day where we had a blackout overnight (unsure of how long). We had another couple of blackouts between 5-6 PM (only a few minutes each) and about three more during dinner (ranging from two minutes to about ten minutes for the longest one). I am pretty used to seeing blackouts at resorts but it was a little weird to have so many in one day, and then none the rest of the week.

Let's get down the meat and potatoes of it... the buffet was generally quite good... every night there was some sort of a theme night (Asian, Spanish, Gala for example). There would always be some features that were always on the buffet though in case that theme wasn't your thing... pizza, hamburgers, pasta for example.

The a la cartes were decent, but not phenomenal. The pasta at the Italian restaurant had a very Chef Boyardee taste to it. We also went to the steakhouse, the French restaurant, and the Japanese restaurant. The Japanese restaurant was definitely the best food that we had at an a la carte. However, there were no bad meals either.

The one annoying thing is that when you book the a la cartes, it tends to be difficult to get booked for good days and times (especially when you are booking for six people), so you get booked in for late dinners (as late as 930) but walk past the restaurants during the earlier sessions and they're mostly empty... and even for 930, it is hard to get a group of six together, but again, you goto the dinner, and the restaurant is mostly empty...

The service was hit and miss. Somedays you would goto a restaurant and the servers would be fantastic... the would be there to fill your coffee, your water, or wine... but then there would be other times where you would have to go find somebody and ask them for coffee because noone came by to offer it... also, some of the staff were friendly and chatty, but many of them weren't. In the other resorts I have been to, the maids, gardeners and everyone would say hello or good morning to you.. at this resort, this wasn't the case.

One other downfall with the service is that when you went into the buffet, you would be told where to sit. I can understand this if it is busy and it may be hard to find a table, but if the restaurant is half empty, you should be able to sit where you want to. In other resorts, where you choose where you want to sit, you have the same serving staff for most of the week and get to know them. At this resort, you pretty much had someone new for every meal... they won't remember you and you won't remember them.

The beach was great. If you're a beachwalker, you can do that. This resort has lots of shade on the beach too (while we were beachwalking, we noticed that the Riu complex had very little shade to offer, so we were grateful for the shade at the Grand Bahia). The one annoying thing at the beach was the vendors that would walk around selling excursions, art and jewellery--I don't think that the resort can control this though as it doesn't own the beach portion--all beaches are owned by the state I believe.

We only spent one day at a pool. I do thing that the pool wasn't always this way, but the day that we were there, was very loud and you couldn't really relax. I think that the entertainment staff were catering to the drunks at the pool and let them choose a lot of the music (I'm not sure the old folks wanted to listen to DMX's Up in Here--a little explicit). The serving staff was great by the pool though, always coming around to see if you wanted anything (you don't get this at the beach).

The entertainment was mediocre. If you want to goto the Michael Jackson show, get there early to get a seat. For the most part, all of the shows were just dancing. I would have hoped that they would have some live music in their shows and would actually show Dominican culture (not do Michael Jackson, Grammys, etc). Also, in the courtyard area, I would have liked to see more live music.

Anyways, I do think that this was a fantastic resort... there were no significant issues and I would go back in a second... if they could get a few little issues fixed up, it would have been a guaranteed five star review!

Room Tip: The Royal Golden section was nice... gets you good and close to the beach!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel, which we will take in the highest consideration. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

Regarding your comments about your a la carte experience, we would like to let you know that, due to internal policies and operational reasons, dinner reservations are subject to availability and may not adjust to your exact request.

Please be assured that your observations have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the point you mentioned.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We checked in at the Gran Bahia Principe on Feb 17th and stayed for one week. We opted for the club Royal Golden upgrade for a minimal fee. When we arrived at the resort, the front desk and reception areas were very chaotic!! There seemed to be many arrivals at the same time and most of the rooms were not ready. Our Royal Golden reception told us to leave our bags and to go have lunch and that our room would be ready upon our return. So we went for a bite to eat and to walk around the beautiful grounds. An hour later, we were being escorted by a bell hop to our room. The service throughout the resort was great, the food was also very good and the drinks were bountiful! The Bavaro beach is simply amazing! Beautiful sand and water. We had a very relaxing vacation. The only downfall of this resort is that it is so big!! You have to get to the beach or pools early in the morning to get chairs... If not.. Good luck getting a spot. Another disappointing fact was that housekeeping was always late cleaning our room and that they always seemed to forget one thing (the first day was our beach towels - which we get at the room with the royal golden club, one day they forgot to give us water, another day is was soap...). We had to call reception to get someone to bring these items to us which they did in fairly quickly. Bring hair conditioner as they do not have any at the resort! One great thing about this resort is the night entertainment !!! Best we have seen so far! They put on great show every night and put a lot of effort into them. We greatly enjoyed them. We definitely recommend this resort but be careful when upgrading to the Royal Golden club: they promise 4 a la carte dinners (instead of your regular 3 dinners included in the package) but they make 2 reservations for you for which one of them is a BBQ buffet. The food was good but we were disappointed in the fact hat it was not a la carte. We would also like to thank Edward at Golden club reception for taking such good care of us! We will definitely return to this resort for a vacation but not necessarily upgrade to the royal golden club as we did not see such a big difference for the price (except for the fact that you are close to the beach).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

Your opinion is very important to us. It represents a challenge, an opportunity to improve our services, and maintain the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination this paradise called Dominican Republic.

Thank you for acknowledging our good food, great night entertainment, and Edward, who will be delighted to learn your wonderful comments.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at any of our Hotels, especially either of our Luxury Don Pablo Collection, which are a superior category and offer you an even more exclusive service.

Regards from Bavaro!

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We travelled to DR for the first time in November. After reading about all the beautiful beaches Punta Cana has to offer, I couldn't wait to get there. We chose Grand Bahia on a last minute deal so I wasn't really too preoccupied or worried about some of the negative reviews. The resort itself is huge. There are basically 4 hotels in one huge resort. The rooms are big, well taking care off. I made sure to tip my house keepers. That goes a long way if you ever need anything extra. The beach is absolutely stunning. The white sand and the turquoise water is something out of a postcard. We never had any problems finding any loungers, even at a later hour in the morning. Plenty to go around. The food selection and the restaurants are really good. There are quite a few restaurants and bars so you'll never go thirsty or hungry. The a la cartes are also good, but make sure to reserve your tables first thing after checking in, to avoid disappointment. When I went there, they had no maximum amount of times you can dine a la carte, so if you chose that option the whole time you're there, enjoy. The buffets were really, really good. Huge selection and variety. To wrap it up, Grand Bahia is as close to a 5 star resort as you can get. Almost there:)

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We went to this resort as our niece was getting married there. We booked for 3 weeks and made it our winter holiday. The staff were fab, the food great, the all inclusive booze was not ALL, we didn't know this, the safe was in the room but you had to pay extra. They did nothing for the bride even though she paid for all, it was bad. I do not recommend this resort as a wedding destination. On another note the beach was incredible.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

Your observations are taking into great consideration and have been share with the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

Thank you for highlighting our fab staff, great food, and incredible beach.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Beautiful surrounding, Staffs were very hospitable. Cant beat the beaches but they were packed, finding a chair was always a challenge but a little mullah helps
Food was ok, we stuck to items we were more used as signs were not clear if items had pork or not we do not eat pork, morning omelette were great my husband enjoyed it
Japanese restaurant wasn’t great experience,
Dominican restaurant was the BEST experience I went to chef and thanked him for shrimp dish
We do not like the desserts so we were o k and didn’t put on pounds,
Sugar galore at pool drinks
The beds firm but overall room was nice.Could use an air vent in bathroom after showers.
Staff: room services were superb; everyday Delaney kept room clean, tidy, always different arrangement with little extra flowers on the towel arrangements.

Room Tip: less stairs if you have knee problem please ask them
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your destination for celebrating your 33rd wedding anniversary.

Thank you for mentioning our beautiful surroundings, hospitable staff, Dominican restaurant, and nice room. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forwarded to Delaney.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!