“Worst resort EVER” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Turistico del Este, km 28, Punta Cana 74, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
35% OFF + $1,800 CREDIT
Ranked #23 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Worst resort EVER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

DO NOT STAY AT THE HARD ROCK

Disappointed from beginning to end.

The food is garbage, the service is better at Wal-Mart and the rooms are all smoke and mirrors.

No matter your age, sex or preference this resort is a joke. The waiters beg for tips to the point where it is awkward and the only way to get a 'better' level of service is to pay the staff.

No one can speak English properly and Golf tee times are a mystery - they don't exist before 3PM.

A sketchy, brutal resort overall! Hard Rock you should be ASHAMED!!!

• Stayed February 2013
HRHCPuntaCana, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear AVuku, we’re terribly sorry that you left with that impression of us, which is of course, not what we’re all about. We always strive to do our best and to treat each guest with the VIP treatment that they deserve and we apologize if you didn't feel otherwise. Rest assured that we've spoken to our Food and Beverage Director on regards of your comments. On the other hand, we’re proud to say that many of our staff members participate in English classes provided by the hotel in our School of Hard Rockers. We have a very high rate of attendance, especially from those in direct contact with our guests. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful hotel so that we can change any misperception that you may have from us and provide you with the Rock Star experience that you truly deserve. TAKE TIME TO BE KIND.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,366)
  • Korean first
Louisville, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Our daughter was married here in May 2012 My husband and I like it so well we went back Jan 28 to Feb 4. The rooms are clean and lovely and all have a jetted tub and I love that. The food is great.and service is very good. Trust me every place we have been has good and bad mainly because we do not all like the same things. We were told the Hard Rock was sold out the week we were there yet.........always could get a chair at the beach ( thinking they might need some new chair most of those were broke) and also could always find spot at one of the pools. They keep the ground very neat . When you think how many people are staying there that is a big job. Also fact parents do not make their kids clean up their mess and let them run wild. That to me was what got to me the most kids not sitting in restaurant running around while workers trying to do their job. The staff was so kind to the children that were up and making a mess and running around . Room service was good but they have changed the menu and it was not as great as first time we were there. If you can speak spanish that would be a big help. Since neither of us can at times getting housekeeping to understand what you want can be little hard . It is almost a hour bus ride from airport to the resort but they send nice buses to take you. We have done many all inclusive and this is the only one we ever went back to. The resort is large and we feel they do a very good job . Love having casino to go to at night.

Room Tip: First time our room was up by the casino but this time we were by the beach both places were nice...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HRHCPuntaCana, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hey there Tammy R, we’re so elated to know that you were here last year for your daughter’s wedding and came back again!! It truly makes us happy to know that you enjoyed your time here with your husband. You truly are Rock Stars!! We’re happy that you were able to splish splash in our pools, eat at our numerous restaurants and were able to roll the dice over at the Casino. We truly hope that you visit us yet a third time so we can continue to provide you with the top notch service that can only be provided here!!! TAKE TIME TO BE KIND.
CALIFORNIA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I'm sharing my experience so some people will read and maybe pick another destination. We did have a bad check in experience which wasted all of day one. The good news is that Rose (Premier Members Service) finally came through with an ocean front suite after moving two times... all was good. The resort is very nice but hit and miss on service. We are tippers even thou it's all inclusive but some service people just don't care. We met a wonderful person named Ruth an Isla's, she made the stay worthwhile just to see her smile every morning. Please promote her and have her train your staff! The worst of the resort we found out later was that the service help will stock women as it is accepted that they can make more tips if they’re really friendly (you can read between the lines). We had to tell this guy no twice on the phone and had to call security on him. We didn't sleep very well after that. So be careful on sending you young teenagers on a trip to Punta Cana. The other reason I really didn't like Punta Cana was you can't walk anywhere to eat or shop and their own government posts not a good idea to venture out of the hotel alone. My final tip is be very careful of gambling as I usually can always win on Black Jack no matter where I go, or at least I can go up and down within a two hour period. I have never seen so many 6 card 21's in my life from a dealer. They don't have to show you the cards ever when new cards are inserted into a 6 deck shuffler. I don't think it is regulated like in the states. One time we got a dealer who was actually breaking on 14, 15, and 16's and the whole table was winning. She was replaced after 10 minutes. We never went back after two times of losing. The food was average at best as they over cook the meat at most of the restaurants. The good news was this was a free trip except for the 16% tax on everything including you 1500 credit. We knew this up front so no complaints. I just think it was average for a Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. You really need to train your staff!

Room Tip: If you can get the Presidential Suite ocean front is the best - B side more quite, A side over loud...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MILLER2424, we’re distressed to know that you didn’t enjoy you time here in our hotel. We apologize for any inconveniences encountered; rest assured that we have shared all of your comments with our Quality Director for the betterment of our service. We work very hard in the training and supervision of each of our staff members in our hotel but we’re glad to know that Ruth and Rose provide you with such wonderful service and hospitality. We do hope that you could come back to us so we can provide you with the top notch service you’ve come to expect. SAVE THE PLANET.
Myrtle Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were a little hesitant about this property due to a litany of so-so reviews. We are all-inclusive resort veterans and Hard Rock offered us that and more. Think all-you-can-eat-and-drink, 24/7, plus the best service to be found anywhere, plus a casino, plus an indoor boulevard that offers everything from a coffee shop, bars, an arcade and shopping. For those who have dissed the size of the place and having to walk, we loved it! There are trams running all the time, but we were able to walk off food and drink every day to return home without gaining the usual 5-10 pounds. I don't know about everyone else but I adored the walk and fresh air. A special shout-out to the adult-only, tops-optional, Eden Pool area with the best bar ever! Bartender, Juan, made a point of getting to know everyone, what they drink and putting a smile on every face he meets. My husband owns a sportsbar and if we could hire five "Juans" we would be in heaven! By the way, Toro and the Brazilian eateries served the best meats we've ever had at a resort. If you like the all-inclusive experience for vacations, you need to give this place a try.

Room Tip: We had a room in "Section 7" next to the Toro restaurant. We loved listening to the dinner...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hey BellesOn, thank you so much for the cool review, you really rock our socks!!! We’re very excited to know that you had such a wonderful time!! It makes us happy to know that you enjoyed our Toro and Ipanema restaurants, that you had some fun in the sun over the Eden pool and roll the dice at night over at the Casino. To top it all off, you were able to meet some of our Hard Rockers such as Juan! We want to thank you for taking time to mention them, it makes us proud to know they’re doing a good job!! We hope that you plan that trip back to our hotel so we can keep on Rockin’!!! SAVE THE PLANET.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

This place was amazing, very large thus giving you ample opportunity to walk off all the amazing meals from the world class restaurants. Great shopping and casino. Awesome coffee bar and ice cream shop. 9 or 11 pools I could not keep up. Kind friendly courteous workers. Highly recommended.Our personal Butler's Javier and Vicente were AMAZING. Loved this place.

• Stayed February 2013
HRHCPuntaCana, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hey barone831 how delightful to know that you had such a Rockin’ time in our hotel!! You truly are a Super Star!!! It truly makes us happy to know that you enjoyed your meals, had some fun in the Casino, loved our ice cream shop and the coffee bar and spent some time lounging at our numerous pools. Thanks for taking some time to acknowledge the service given by our Hard Rockers specially from Javier and Vicente; we’ll make sure they know that you loved their hospitality and services!! We truly hope that you come back soon so we can rock your world yet another time in paradise! TAKE TIME TO BE KIND.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

While checking out on the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino my iPad was stolen out of my luggage.
We had to be out of our room by 12pm, but could not take the shuttle to the airport until 2pm for our 5pm flight.  We checked our luggage with the Hotel’s bellboy between 12pm-2pm while we grabbed lunch on the property before taking the shuttle to the airport. Believing our bags were secure with the Hotel we did not think to go through our luggage when we retrieved them to be placed on the shuttle, but when we got to the airport to check in we noticed the iPad was gone.
I have been in contact many times with the hotel's public relations and have not had much response regarding filing a report/claim. There is a communication barrier and each person keeps transferring me to the next.

Finally, after contacting Hard Rock Hotel Headquarters they responded unsatisfactory:

We are sincerely sorry for this regrettable situation and we understand your position and the importance of this device to you. We hope you please consider that we are not able to grant your request for a refund, since the resort is not responsible for any valuables and/or money left in luggage; this information is provided through our luggage policy published at the lobbies of our property and the luggage tickets we provide.

Too bad, because although I did have a great vacation this ending ruined it for me. The lack of responsibility and security of the Hard Rock Hotel Corporation is unacceptable and extremely displeasing.

Several others in our group experienced theft, too. A few people had stuff taken from there room safe, including money and cameras.

We all trusted the staff while we were there for an entire week, tipped them, etc...and then to only have some of the staff steal from us. This intolerable behavior is offensive and unprofessional.

Room Tip: Be careful putting your valuables in the room safe....they could disappear overnight.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HRHCPuntaCana, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing to visit our hotel with friends this past January, CaliScorp. We sincerely apologize for the negative experience you and your friends encountered in our lobby. As a note of disclosure, we did have a high occupancy at the end of this month so our lobby received far more traffic than usual. Furthermore, our loss and prevention and security teams do not play around when it comes to illegal activities on the premises. Rest assured that everything in our hands was done to see if the iPad was taken here or in the airport. We apologize for any confusion but appreciate your review so we can address these issues. SAVE THE PLANET.
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Ok - where to start. We had our 3 little kids - ages 6, 3 and 1. We booked about 6 months ahead of time to get the room we wanted/needed - a family caribbean suite by the kids pools - we requested in buildings 7 or 8, beach side. Of course they "can't guarantee" anything - I find this problematic especially since we paid a lot of money and when you have such little kids, it would seem to make sense that you have to be by the kids pools. Otherwise it is much much too hard to get around on such a big resort. Big problem - we were put in a family caribbean suite over looking construction - the mini golf. The website makes no mention of having to golf - in fact they make it seem like it will be mind blowing for the kids - and we talked it up with them so they were looking forward to it. But no, there is no mini golf. And why would I pay SO MUCH money to look at construction? I was very very unhappy with this. We got in late, so we could not see anything. In the morning, we immediately went to the lobby to get switched. Well, low and behold,they had no family suites that didn't overlook this. UNless we paid more to get an even bigger family suite by the kids pools, beachside. We of course paid the extra 600$ because the idea of being stuck in the room for naptime, overlooking construction and listening to hammering was completely unacceptable. (Oh and it was 600$ AFTER they used resort credits. They actually wanted 900$ and I said NO WAY NO HOW so they made it 600. We were so tired from the travel the day before we just said fine...and we moved rooms.)
Please please ask if anything is under construction before you book!!.

Never used credits for spa - although everybody I spoke to said it was awesome and you must must go- I just didn't get to it! they said a 60 or 80 min (I forget) massage was like 30$ total, after using credits. that included tax, so that seems totally worth it to me. and the water circuit there is good, so go the full hour ahead of your appt.

Food - overall, I have had better of course,. But in such a massive resort, I am not sure if you would really get better. The buffet at the Market was really good I thought - and the lunch buffet at Ciao was good (we never went for dinner.) I find that lots of things tend to taste the same at these resorts. Zen was good, the kids liked it. Breakfasts all seemed the seem everywhere. Torro steak house was pretty decent, although I think the grill needed a better cleaning as my meat tasted a bit bitter or something. The ONLY good dessert I had ANYWHERE was the chocolate molten cake at Los Gallos mexican restaurant. Literally all other desserts were no good. (I was excited to see creme brulee on Torros menu, but it is like a condensed milk pudding/custard, no sugar caramelized on top - not at all like creme brulee.) Lots of fruit around which was great. Room service was fast - usually less than 30 minutes and was always correct which surprised me. But you can't get pizza, which was too bad - a fairly limited menu to order from. (By the way the best pizza at the Pizzeria is the pepperoni...we tried 6 types, not that great.) Ice cream -ok. Doughnuts and pastries, no good. Everything is very very sweet, but I guess thats what people like??

The people - awesome. Helpful, nice, happy. I didnt have any problem with a language barrier at all. They were wonderful with the kids, very very nice people. Raquel, who we saw at a few different places, hostessing, was super. And Stephanie, same thing, was a pleasure to see. We didn;t get to know bartenders because we weren't sitting at the bars, but they all seemed nice. The ladies bringing water at the pool were fabulous too. I think, out of everywhere we travel, Dominican people are really special.

Liquor---yikes. Guaranteed, you can take my word - they pretend to use brand name liquor but that have poured cheap cheap stuff into brand name bottles. I watched them pour out of a smirnoff bottle, but it was NOT smirnoff. I couldn't drink it. Literally. That really disappoints me. The Hard Rock is attempting to be first rate, but don;t be fooled. Certain bars are not doing this - like the bar outside of Zen has Stoly vodka for instance, and it is Stoly. But the beach bars are serving cheap stuff. For me, when I have a drink, I want it to taste good. I don't have sugary things that mask the liquor. Serious thumbs down.

Maid service - good overall. But one day, they took our tip off our pillow and didn't do our room!!! I don't know if they came and got called out or something, but that was bad.
I wouldn't tip every day, next time around.

The rooms - very large, for us anyways. But others were saying that their single rooms were big and good too.

Its a big place. When you are by the lobby, it feels more like Vegas. Maybe that's you're thing, but not ours. We stayed closer to the beach mostly. Buses were always full if you were trying to go somewhere at dinner time. Or speaking of dinner time, we went for 6 every night with the kids, but if you are going later, like most people, be prepared to wait - some people I overheard saying they have to wait an hour!

I can't comment on the nightlife. But lots of people looks like they had a good time the night before!

I was only sick with stomach issues for one morning - and this was not hang over related!

Hard work with the kids to eat lunch that wasnt hot dogs and fries. Had to change them all to hike to a restaurant - the pool snack bar had greasy stuff.

Please bring different shoes if you get blisters you can change them. Bring bandaids!

I am really unhappy that we had to pay more to not look at dirty loud construction, I am not happy I had to be a amateur detective to find brand name liquor. This is not first class. Shame on Hard Rock for trying to fool their customers. Dont expect to be treated like a rock star and get first class all the way - I have a feeling you need to pay more for that.

Room Tip: When you check in, ask about construction. Don't take the room if you don't like it. You sho...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jaime m, we’re very sorry to find out that your family vacation wasn’t as you have had hope for. We apologize for the inconvenience regarding the construction of the Mini Golf; we’re working constantly to make sure that this gets completed as soon as possible. We want you to know that we’ve shared your remarks with our Quality Director so we can offer all of our guests with top notch service. On another note, we’re happy to know that our Hard Rockers went above and beyond to make sure you had everything you needed. Thanks for the Kudos that you’ve given Stephanie and Raquel, they’re going to be very happy to learn that they provided you guys with such great service. We hope to see you very soon so we can roll out the Red Carpet for you and the fam!! ALL IS ONE.

Been to Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana? Share your experiences!