My husband and I stayed here as part of a wedding party recently. The highs were the beach, the pools, and (for my husband) the rock music, both recorded and by live bands. The lows were the food and the wine. Starting with the negatives, overall we felt that they are not keeping on top of basic maintenance/upkeep. We checked in at the convention lobby and, for example, the area behind that desk looked shabby--dirty, chips in the purple paint, etc. Bad first impression. Our room was very nice, with a spacious balcony and a decent view of garden areas. However, the towels were nearly all old and grey, and there was only one box of kleenex in the whole room. There were very few towel bars or hooks for hanging wet towels or extra clothes. We had a locked door between our room and another room and the noise traveled scandalously--we could hear every little thing going on in their room and presumably they could hear us too. I understand that the hard stone floors leave little sound insulation but the door itself should have been much thicker, tighter, or something in order to compensate. Thank goodness our neighbors weren't in there much.
We ate at several different places. The food was really disappointing. There were a few bright spots but overall the flavors were just not right... often the food LOOKED delicious, and great care was taken with making desserts look beautiful, but the tastes were off. It's as though someone was making the food look like a picture but they forgot to use the right ingredients. There was a nice salad bar but the choice of unlabeled dressings was bizarre. A bright yellow vinaigrette that I hoped might be curry flavored turned out instead to get its color and flavor from yellow mustard. Awful. And the wine was absolutely undrinkable! That's saying something because free wine is free wine but the white wine had a vinegar edge to it. I couldn't drink it at all. On the last night we overpaid for a bottle of "premium" wine and it was the only decent glass I had our whole stay.
Our wish for the food is that, instead of trying to make it appeal to American tastes, to focus on making it the best of Caribbean fare, representative of where they are located. On our last day I finally had a conch salad from the dinner buffet at Isla and it was absolutely delicious--crisp vegetables shaved thin, some slivered peppers, conch, and a perfect vinaigrette. I ate three helpings of that and nothing else.
The thing that made our whole stay, hands down, was the gorgeous beach. Beautiful sand, perfect waves for body-surfing, and thatched umbrellas with lounge chairs underneath. A tropical paradise. We also get very nice service down there from several different servers. The pools looked perfect but we don't know for sure because we just stayed on the beach.
Hard Rock Punta Cana has lots of potential to be a paradise... management simply needs to step it up, particularly with the food and wine.
- Also Known As:
- Hard Rock Hotel And Casino Punta Cana
- Moon Palace Hotel
- Moon Palace Resort All Inclusive
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 1,787 room Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana is situated on pristine sugar white sands stretching 121-acres along Macao Beach in the Dominican Republic. Hard Rock’s first all inclusive hotel and casino exudes lavish five-star amenities and personal service to create the ultimate rock star getaway. Among the resort’s many offerings are luxe accommodations, the signature Rock Spa®, 18-hole Nicklaus designed golf course, iconic music memorabilia and a larger-than-life Vegas-style casino – the largest in the Dominican Republic, featuring Oro nightclub. Guests also enjoy 15 expansive pools, four swim-up bars, a kids pool and lazy river. A variety of gourmet dining options are available through the resort’s nine restaurants, with Mansion by Simon by the famed Rock n Roll Chef Kerry Simon, set to open in 2013. The property also features more than 65,000 square-feet of flexible event and meeting space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Tingo, Fareportal , Otel, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.