“Fabulous stay at Majestic Elegance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Elegance Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Majestic Elegance Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Elegance Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Majestic Street | Arena Gorda a Macao, Punta Cana 3005, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #15 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
tripster03
“Fabulous stay at Majestic Elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just got back from a week's stay at the Elegance. Traveling with my parents, husband and son. We had a great time and I would recommend the resort to others.

Check-In - We had no issues, our rooms were ready when we arrived at 2pm and we received a welcome cocktail. They also put our rooms close to each other as requested. We had a minor hiccup where one of the bags did not arrive to the room with the others, but we found it on the walkway.

Rooms - They were very nice. There is some wear and tear, but nothing major. The square toilets took a little getting used to, but weren't too bad. Not sure about others complaining about the shower - I thought it was great with a rainfall head and 3 side jets, or you could switch to a handheld spray. We had no problems with it leaking out into the room. The maids did a good job of cleaning them daily.

Location - We were in Building 2 in a swim up room. Building 2 was a good location - halfway between the main lobby with the restaurants and the beach. We were directly across from the swim-up bar, which I thought was perfect. We had a front row seat for the activities. There was a large group of high school students on spring break that got rowdy at times, but I was once in high school myself, so no big deal.

Pool - Pool was awesome. Staff did a great job of keeping it clean except for one day of our stay. It was fun to just walk out of your room and jump in. There is a definite design flaw in the pool, which is huge. There are not many stairs to access the pool, and all of the access points were across the pool from our room. This was a problem for my parents, who weren't able to jump in and out of the pool, so they had to walk a good distance for access which was a pain.

Food - I did not expect a 5 star restaurant - I have stayed at all inclusives in the past. I would give an overall rating of 4. Flavors breakfast buffet was very good - the omelet station was a favorite. We always enjoyed the Sea & See lunch buffet - the caribbean grilled lobster was very tasty as were the made to order burritos. We ate at the Italian restaurant twice and found the food to be excellent. We ate at the Steak restaurant twice - the first night the filet was tough, but the chateaubriand on the 2nd night was excellent. The Japanese restaurant was average - I didn't try any of the sushi. Realize this is a foreign country serving many different nationalities, and some food items are very unfamiliar or prepared differently than you might expect. We found out that the salads weren't very good and avoided them the rest of the trip. Soups were also hit or miss. By far, the best meal we had was the optional Romantic Dinner on the Beach. My parents won it at check-in and enjoyed it so much, my husband and I paid for it and it was worth every penny. Also included special room turndown service with rose petals and a bubble bath.

Drinks - Main lobby bar has the best drinks and brands of liquor, but doesn't open until 5pm. I did not experience watered down drinks - all you have to do is ask for double rum, or whatever. Tipping the bartenders a dollar every now and then goes a long way. Definitely bring an insulated cup from home - they are happy to fill it up for you.

Activities - We started our days early and were tired by the end of the day, so we didn't participate in many of the evening activities. The Pool Foam Party was a blast, as well as watching water polo every day. The music at the outside patio at night was pretty good. Casino is very small and not really worth the trip. One major disappointment was the Kids Club - they advertise it but it is not really operational. I never saw a kid there the entire time and my son took one look at it and said no way. I saw 2 very bored hotel workers hanging out there - the resort really hasn't invested in making this a major attraction. Also used the shops on site a few times for some small souvenirs - prices weren't too bad.

Beach - We never had a problem getting chairs at either the beach or pool. They have ample "umbrellas" for shade. Being on the northern part of the island, there are some waves and undercurrent as the wind is constantly blowing. We enjoyed reading on the beach, but didn't do a lot of swimming - used the pool mostly.

Tours - These are optional and not sponsored by the resort, but just as a FYI. Did the TerraCross dune buggy tour with my son and it was so much fun! Also did the Dolphin Explorer Catamaran trip - swam with sharks, stingrays and a fur seal, snorkeled and swam in a cove. Lots of fun and great memories!

In summary, go to have fun, relax and leave the stress at home. Nothing will be perfect, but who cares? You are in the sun in the Caribbean with a drink in your hand!!

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are great if you are physically fit. Elegance Club rooms if you want to be away from...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

9,455 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,352)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We vacationed here in February of 2013. We traveled with another couple. We LOVED it! The grounds are beautiful and the beaches are clean and soft. We were part of the Elegance Club. It was a great for the free WiFi in our private lobby. There was snacks and drinks stocked there all day long. The Elegance Club also has 2 private pools and swim up bar. The Elegance Club offers their own private section of the beach with a bar. The lounge chairs were too cramped in that area. So we always went to regular part of the beach. We had butler service, but he didn't do much for us other than give us a tour. We had tried on a few occasions to book reservations through him, but he seemed to be busy. So we just booked them through the concierge. The French restaurant was awesome! We ate here twice. The lobster at the seafood place was not that very good, but the shrimp was great.
The nightly entertainment was pretty good. The Michael Jackson show is a must. The daytime entertainment was wonderful!! We took Zumba classes, stretching, Salsa lessons and Meringue classes. Tutti Fruity was a great instructor and very entertaining!
Victor at the main pool bar makes wonderful drinks! Tip him early and the drinks will keep coming and be strong. Mama Wanna's were delicious!! The staff always had a smile on their faces. We really had a great time.
Tanya

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding in October 2012. The place was lovely. We had a private Check-in, as we did pay for the Elegance Club experience. We had a butler assigned to us and he was very attentive. Orlando walked us to our room while giving us a short tour of the property and a brief description of everything we could possibly need. We were assigned to building one which was close to everything except the beach. This was not a problem for us as we went to the pool everyday and preferred to be close to the restaurants and night life.

The Elegance Club allowed us access to VIP lounges with Computers that were readily available, light snacks, water and juices for our taking and access to private pools with Cabanas. We even had private parties that were just for the Elegance Club with good food. It was great. I highly recommend the Elegance Club for couples.

The food was okay. We ate at the main buffet which had a variety of food to choose from. The beach restaurant was also good it just didn't have a great variety of foods like the main buffet. The other a la carte restaurants were just okay. I actually preferred the buffet food. We ate at the Steakhouse and we were all served burned flank steak. The Japanese restaurant was good, but the food was a bit too salty for my taste. The Italian restaurant was good, but of course not really that great. The food that was served at the wedding was amazing. The Lobster tails were grilled with some kind of sauce all over it that was to die for. I think I had two...lol and the other food there was great.

There were 2 private parties that we attended while we were there and according to the bride and groom, they were executed with a touch of class. The wedding/event coordinator of the property did a wonderful job. They paid attention to detail and they were very accomodating. The disco was fun and the activties staff were alot of fun. They had us all dancing "Gangnum style" and made sure everyone was up and dancing on the dance floor.

This is a wonderful resort with lots of great amenities and on-site shopping. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wnat to have a good time with a little touch of class.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a week at the Majestic Elegance in Punta Cana and had a great time. The property is well designed, has a great beach and, most important of all, an outstanding, friendly staff. The Elegance is the twin to the Majestic Colonial, which is a mirror image resort on the other side of the property.

We had a couple of issues upon arrival. They were oversold for one night, so they accommodated us, and our travelling companions, in one, huge double suite. They also gave us a $200 credit at the spa/casino. The management then upgraded us to a poolside oceanview, and let out friends keep the large suite for the entire stay. The junior suite we had was very nice, and all you could have asked for. Donald at reception was great, and made sure we were well looked after.

Like any Caribbean resort, the Elegance has seen some traffic, and we needed some minor maintenance on our room. A broken light switch cover, a loose panel on the vanity, a new safe, but it was all looked after immediatley by competent staff. Every where you went on the resort, someone was sweeping, or raking, or painting to keep it in top shape. I couldn't help but notice how happy everyone looked, always smiling, singing or just saying "Hola!".

The food is what you'd expect at an all inclusive, but the seafood was our favourite. The buffet was OK, but I'm there for the beach and the sun, not a meal at Maxim's de Paris. I couldn't write a review without a nod to my pals William and Enrique at the beach front bar. Great guys!

So, The Good: great location, terrific beach, fantastic staff. The Bad: some minor wear and tear on the resort, lots of very loud music coming from the swim up bar compounded by a few screaming teenage girls on Michigan Spring Break, just OK food. Overall, though, a great place to stay, and I would recommend it to anyone searching for a fun beach vacation.

Room Tip: Stay away from anything overlooking the main pool bar if you are a light sleeper who likes to go to...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

2ns time around was even better than the 1st. wonderful resort. great staff and the Best Beach. Food was good. They are doing something right. Would go back again and again. The Majestic next door also look great and little older but I heard people say it was wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Falls Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our first trip to the Dominican and we would certainly return to this resort again if travelling to the Dominican. The Elegance Club upgrade was worth the cost and our butler Benjamin was outstanding and very helpful. The food at the resort was very good (pineapple juice in the Italian restaurant at breakfast was the best juice I have ever had anywhere!). We especially liked the Japanese restaurant and Christian in the Wine seller was a fantastic waiter. A few of the waiters around the resort were very entertaining (Wow!) and the animation team was hilarious (What the h*ll!) Swim up bartenders were also top notch! The room was spacious, clean and romantic. The spa was excellent. We recommend the bamboo massage for couples! The beach was great and the majority of the shows were excellent! I think the only thing we didn't like was the lobby music (six early 90's songs by Canadian and American musicians on repeat, which was in most of the restaurants). Please change to a Caribbean mix. Five stars Majestic!

Room Tip: Go with the elegance club!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Laveen, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

If the staff would have been friendlier I'd have given the resort 3 circles vs 2, but the truly polite and friendly one's were few and far between.

When we arrived at the desk the staff member was friendly, when he went to pull up our reservation it couldn't be found. After about 30 mins of calling and searching something was found. I say something because it wasn't what we reserved. There was my wife, step-daughter and myself so we had reserved a suite with a king and a single. The gentleman behind the desk asked, "how about a room with 3 beds", in a somewhat excited voice. What was probably our mistake because we didn't ask, but didn't think we needed to, we said sure. I was assuming, and we know what happens next, that at least we'd have 2 queen sized beds...nope. 2 doubles and a single. I'm 6'2", my wife is 5'9", for the week all 3 of us had our own beds. Not catastrophic, but not what we reserved. After the amount of time we'd already spent at the desk we all agreed it's no big deal let's just keep it.

The two biggest disappointments were the food and the indifference of the staff. The breakfast's were good, but other than that i'd give the rest of our meals perhaps a 3/5 rating. The lunch buffet's were marginal. Some of the food looked like it had been used from the previous day or 2. If it's unpeeled fruit, not a big deal. Soggy, wilted lettuce, not a good thing. Some of the fish's should have been passed on down for bait.

We ate 2 meals in the restaurants. The first meal was in the italian restaurant. The food wasn't bad, it just was pretty bland. I ordered the fish, mahi i think, if not then grouper. Nothing special as far as taste. I don't need anything to blow my socks off, but I'd like a little bit of flavor. My wife ordered the ravioli and was not able to eat it. A few others at our table chose not to eat their ravioli either.

The second restaurant we ate at was the steak house. It also wasn't bad, just nothing special. We had a wedding party of about 25, so I understand a party that big takes time, none of us had any problem with that. And really the time for the food to come out wasn't bad so I do think they did fine with the size of our group.

I had the chicken, it was good enough, tasted like a rotisserie chicken I can pick up at one of the stores state side. The folks at the table who had the steak, I forget the cut, seemed pleased for the most part.

It was after dinner at the steak house that I had become pretty fed up with the staff though. There seemed to be quite the resentment and or indifference to waiting on us. They had asked if we wanted coffee, a few said yes including me. I think it took longer to get the coffee than it did the food. One of our party members changed her mind and wanted a coffee, I requested one for her. After asking for the third time we pretty much figured out she wasn't getting one.

There was one young man in particular that I'd noticed never made eye contact with anyone at the table when serving us. He brought the food and delivered it in a hurried manner and was the same when clearing items. Not until the end of the meal did he decide to engage in conversation. Myself and two other men of the wedding party were sitting around talking when he approached us asking, "service was good yes? Everything was good yes?" We were all 3 a little surprised at this, first, because he hadn't said a word all evening. Second, because we were surprised he considered what he had just given us was "good" service. And third, because I have never, in any all inclusive that I've been to, ever had a staff member be so aggressive in looking for a tip. Let alone a tip after such poor service.

While passing most staff members in the corridors very few made eye contact with me. If I said hello, buenos dias or buenos tardes first they would respond in kind. If I didn't speak first, they might say hola as we were passing shoulders. And I point out shoulders specifically because perhaps it's a custom or tradition that I'm unfamiliar with in the DR. I've never encountered this in Mexico or central america. At that point it seems a bit late to be extending a greeting, but this is just my opinion based on my experiences.

My wife also broke her toe on the second to last day that we were there. It was on the beach, an accident that I don't fault the resort for at all, a true accident. However, there was absolutely no help from anyone in trying to assist me in getting a wheel chair for her. I called the front desk myself from the phone located at the dive facility. I told customer service what I needed, they said they would rent me a chair for $20/day. A bit steep in my opinion, but I had no choice so again no big deal I'll do it. I asked if they would bring me a chair, they said they are unable to, I need to come to the main entrance and get it myself after filling out the paperwork. I said I'd be happy to if someone would please bring the chair right away so I could get my wife to our room. Not an option. I offered my room number, they had my credit card on file for any charges, which is what the paper work was all about, the charges, but would not bring the chair.

Now, the property is narrow and therefore long, with the main entrance at one end and the beach at the opposite. It was over 30 minutes from the time I left my wife to the time i was able to get back with the chair. All I wanted to do was get her to our room to start icing her toe.

I went up on Saturday to make arrangements for transportation to the airport on Sunday. They asked if I needed help with the bags when checking out and I said yes, if we could have someone to our room at noon I would appreciate it. None to our surprise the help never arrived. We left our room 10 minutes past to make our 15 past taxi. Since we were the only one's in the taxi we weren't to worried about the taxi leaving us, but it's still a matter of principle.

We traveled a long way to make it to this destination and were hoping for a very nice experience. We have all 3 traveled extensively and understand the dynamics of cultural differences and protocol, so we all have open minds. Big picture, a smile and a hello go a long way with us, you'll definitely be getting one back. And again, I understand the economic differences, I love to help others as much as I can, smile and greet me and I'll show my appreciation. There was one young man, who looked like he was 15, he was the most pleasant person I came across. We'd stop and chat, his english was much better than my spanish, but in the end we left smiling and laughing. Those occurrences were few and far between.

The island is beautiful and the culture vibrant, I'm sorry to see the staff have such a negative impact on my and my family's first visit to their island.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Majestic Elegance Punta Cana? Share your experiences!