“Great time at ME despite Hurricane Sandy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Elegance Punta Cana

You added Majestic Elegance Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Elegance Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Majestic Street | Arena Gorda a Macao, Punta Cana 3005, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #17 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
NYC
“Great time at ME despite Hurricane Sandy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed 10/20-10/27. We read dozens of reviews about Majestic Elegance on TripAdvisor, and I’m tailoring this review to focus on things that a lot of people have complained about.

The room did not smell at all. A/C was almost too cold. We tried adjusting the temperature but it didn’t seem to make a difference. We could turn it off though, which we did a few times.

Beautiful spacious room. They have only two rooms, the studio that we had, and the one bedroom which is huge.

Bath towels:
We got two new towels every day. Never saw a wash cloth or hand towel. Fortunately we brought our own. We left a $5 tip for the maid each day. Plenty of shampoo and soap, etc. The mini bar was replenished every day without fail.

Room:
Cleaned every day very nicely. The shower was broken. The waterfall shower head was damaged, and the adjustable shower wand holder wouldn’t stay in position and the gasket leaked, spraying in all directions. We didn’t bother to complain about it, but it shouldn’t have been broken.

Ironing board: A mini board. There was no locking mechanism to keep the legs up, so it would collapse flat as you’re using it. Good iron though.

The safe worked fine.

Bed:
Two double beds pushed together. Not the best bed I’ve ever slept in, but more than comfortable enough. Small but comfortable pillows. We brought our own too just in case.

We didn’t really use the Jacuzzi much but it worked fine.

Pools
Great pools. As some people have said, there are lots of tiles missing, but this doesn’t detract. Clean, fresh, great temperature.

Beach towels
Never had a problem. We exchanged our towels every day. Once we had to wait a few minutes for the towel guy to return, but it was nothing.

Elegance Club beach section
Never had a problem getting chairs or bali beds. We didn’t use the thatched beach umbrella shades, but there seemed to be enough of those to go around.

Elegance Club lounges
Computers, wi-fi, snacks and alcohol, and bottled water. Comfortable sofas. The snacks weren’t great, everything else was fine.

Resort Grounds
Very nicely done. Constantly being cleaned and groomed. Plenty of bathrooms for the club members. Lots of natural barriers like hedges to separate club areas. Nicely done, and it barely noticeable that their were different sections for club and non-club. They did let us stay in the pool after 6:00 but only if we were quiet. It's a good rule, because the pools are right outside of the rooms of club members who paid for that option.

Restaurants
The fluorescent lighting in most of the restaurants is a bit odd. The color of the light is strange, and it wasn't well lit, not dark enough for good ambiance either. If you're accustomed to good restaurants, none of these places are going to blow you away.

Italian – pretty good.
Steakhouse – decent enough.
Japanese – Good teppan. The sushi wasn’t bad but nothing special.
French – Pretty good
Buffet – Edible, nothing special, and sometimes laughable: sliced baloney colored a weird bright red, the sign said “Genoa salami” lol. Soft pretzels, bagels, and rolls all tasted like soft, sweet dough, sort of in between bread and cake. I’m told most food in the DR is like this. The humidity makes the bread taste off. Lots to choose from though. Great omelets, scrambled eggs, poached eggs. Best milk I’ve ever tasted in my life. Decent bacon, crappy breakfast sausages. Great fresh sliced turkey and pork.

Getting reservations was easy. The concierge in the Club lounge took care of it.

Late night burger joint: burgers and dogs, fries. Fries were always soggy. Burgers not the best beef, but edible.

Room service: Never waited more than 45 minutes, even at 2:00 a.m. No complaints about service.

Coco’s disco: Nice space, good music and lighting, comfortable sofas.

Sports bar: Didn’t try it. Looks like a pub.

Casino: Small, nothing special. Next to the sports bar.

House red and white wines: totally drinkable, not bad at all. Restaurants have a pretty decent list of wines available for purchase, prices a little higher than I expected.

Service: pretty good all around. A couple bucks here and there for tips goes a long way.

Beach: beautiful all around. Fairly strong undertow but nothing to worry about, not a lot of seaweed.

Bars: lobby bar and upstairs piano bar have Johnnie Walker Black Label if you ask for it. Bartenders are pretty friendly. Again, tips make the world go round.

Cigars: Lots of Cuban and Dominican cigars. Ridiculously expensive.

Do the dune buggy excursions with Xtreme. The owners are transplants from Germany. Real buggies, based on rear-engine Volkswagens. Tons of fun. Manual transmission, 4 speed, first gear is non-synchro. Lots of driving through the city streets.

We got massages in the spa. Beautiful. Not the best massage I ever had, but it got the job done.

Bottom line: We enjoyed our trip and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,151)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Deseronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was our seciond time at the Mejestic Elegance(ME). Both times we upgraded to the Elegance Club (EC). We liked the adults only feature as we did not bring our kids along so why would we want to have other peoples kids around? I understnd that some people bring their kids on vacation and I have no problem with that. We didn't want kids around so we chose the adults only section.

Our first trip to the ME in 2010 was our firt trip ever and we were exstatic about the resort. That being said we had no point of reference so we were not sure what else was out there. After thinking about it we decided to go back because, while there may be better, there are undoubtedly worse resorts. We read several reviews of the ME on trip Advisor and found a lot of complaints which forced us to ask ourselves the question, "was our first stay a normal experience and the complaints were isolated incidents or did we just get lucky the first time?"

After reading the reviews and thinking about the complaints we decided that most of the complaints were people nit picking and we decided to give it a second try. We were not disappointed. The service was fantastic. The food was great. The facilities were wonderful.

Some of the complaints that we read were as follows:

Tiles missing out of the pools - well, with the number of guests that the resort sees over the course of a year it is understandable that the facilities will see some wear and tear. If they drained a pool everytime a 1" X 1" tile came off the complaints about pools being closed would sky rocket. My suggestion is to get over it!

Rooms were damp and musty - you're in a tropical climate in an air conditioned room. Doors are opening and closing constantly. Of course the humitity will get in the rooms. Then you close all the doors and the AC kicks on cooling down all the moisture. Sheets will feel a little damp. Do people come to Canada on a ski vacation and complain that when they openend the door to their balcony the cold air came in and it took a while for the room to warm up? Its a different climate. Get over it.

The food at the buffet was not really really hot. No, it wasn't. It's a buffet that has to feed hundreds of people. If you want really hot food they would have to bring everything out in small portions and constantly replenish it which would require more staff. Then the labor cost would go up and they would have to charge more. People would then complain that it was too expensive. Again, get over it.

My steak was not as good as the one I get at my local steakhouse in Calgary - I'm not even going to dignify that one with a response. If you can't see the flawed logic then you shouldn't be allowed on the internet...or out of your home for that matter.

Enough with the whining.

Steakhouse - Great (French Onion Soup was tasty but would have been better with crouton and cheese gratinee) (Ribeye and Striploin were awesome - try the chimichury sauce).

Italian - Very nice.

French - Wonderful (Please get some Grand Marnier for the non-Cognac drinkers)

Seafood - Very good (please remember that the lobster is "Rock Lobster" not "Maine Lobster" and it is grilled not boiled so it will not taste like what many people are used to. Try it with a squuze of lime instead of drawn butter) Also, a hint, the seafood restaurant is at the beach and the lunch buffet is great. Saves time getting changed and going to the buffet for lunch.

Japanese - Really depends on the group you are sitting with. Our first trip we were with a table of mid-20's girls who were traveling together so we were not as engaged as we could have been. We skipped it this time however everyone we spoke to said they loved it.

Buffet, awesome for breakfast. I had Proscuitto, smoked salmon, olives and cheese every day. Loved it. My wife had hot breakfast every day (eggs, sausage, bacon, homefries - typical North Aerican breakfast fare) Great breads and many other choices as well.

Night Club - small, dark and loud. Not my thing but I can see the appeal for the younger crowd who like to dance.

Our Butler - Cesar - Thanks for everything, you were wonderful, attentave and outgoing.
Pool Bartender - Reynaldo - Best Mojito's in the world
Pool Bartender - Maxima - fast, efficient service whether at the bar or on the beach.

EC Lounge - Free Wi-fi - were able to facetime our kids every night.
EC Lounge - Snacks and beverages all day long
EC Lounge - Computers with internet access and webcams (in case you don't have an iPhone or other mobile smartphone).

I could go on and on but I won't. Needless to say that we would definately go back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

If you are looking through reviews to determine where to go, look no further. Majestic elegance is by far and away one of the best places I've been. The beaches are beautiful and well maintained by the groundskeepers and there is always a chair awaiting. The staff is exceptional in trying to make you comfortable and having a good time. Our Butler for the elegance club was Junior and he was the most attentive person I've ever had at any all inclusive and was always there to ensure that we were enjoying ourselves and had what we needed. I have unfortunately read some of the negative reviews posted of this resort and can only say that it is a shame when people cannot take the opportunity to appreciate where they are and the money they've spent to have a good time. Tiles missing in the pool? Come on really is that stopping you from getting in and relaxing with a drink in hand? I wouldn't expect the resort to drain each pool while guests are in attendance just to fix a couple of tiles. The food went beyond my expectations. The French restaurant was by far my favorite and I would highly recommend the Red Snapper and/or The duck. Maxima, Eva, Rosa, and Felix were always available to take drink orders but more importantly there to interact and joke around. The shows and entertainment staff were very good. If you go do not forget to visit the best bartender on the resort Carmen at the sports bar and shoot some pool. The staff do a wonderful job in addressing your needs despite a language barrier at times, but hey you are in a Spanish speaking country, try learning some. Lastly I would say that where ever you end up just remember your there for vacation! Relax and enjoy it!

Braintree, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was my first all-inclusive trip and I have to say it was amazing, we upgraded to the elegance club and it was well worth it, the service and staff made this trip so memorable. It started with our butler Junior who was so nice, friendly, responsive and accommodating he made the stay so easy and relaxing. Mozart Jackson is the best entertainer on the island, there was never a dull moment with him, he not only remembered who we were from day 1, but he always made sure us and everyone around us enjoyed ourselves and wanted to be involved in every activity, he is so engaging and the biggest reason we had so much fun. Last is Eliezel Zuiz the pool concierge, he was great at making recommendations, polite, friendly everyday and helped me everyday with my Spanish because he knew I wanted to get better with it. All the staff were great but these three went above and beyond normal service to create a memorable experience and we will definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: Upgrade to elegance club
Sayreville, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

All the complaints are true. I will never return to this joint, The Iberostar Bavaro is 100 x's better.

The best part of this hotel was the OUTSTANDING staff at the Elegance Club Bar, Maxima and her girls. OUTSTANDING SERVICE. William in the Lobby bar was excellent as well.

Room Tip: I cant add a tip because after being in touch with management at this place for 3 months, they still...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
naugatuck
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and i just came back from Majestic Elegance . We were there from 02-02 to 02/09. Back here in the east we had a historic blizzard which screwd up so many peoples flights. We had to stay in the resort ten hours after check out and the staff could not have been more helpful. We had use of all the facilties plus showers! Beats waiting in the airport any day! Besides that nuisance everything else was very nice. Our butler Christopher was excellent. He managed to make our anniversary magical, from rose petal bubble bath, anniversary cake at dinner, door banner, champagne and most of all he upgraded us to an ocean view suite. I was speechless! I have read reviews were people said they never saw there butler the entire time, this was not the case christopher was always around. i am looking forward to next year!

powell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We went to the Majestic Elegance for our anniversary! From the start we were impressed with the resort, the service, the room was amazing with swim up and jacuzzi. The staff put us next door to our friends traveling with us as well. The fridges were stocked daily and rooms kept clean. We had so much fun at this resort. It is beautiful and the staff work very hard to keep it clean and to make your stay fun and relaxing. I personally recomend the bahama mamas made by Pedro at the bar near the wooden bridge over the pool. Excellent! Eva and Pedro made sure our cups were always full and were on top of their game! The funjestic entertainment staff are great...keep you involved and laughing.

People like to complain about the food but I found the food quite satisfying and the service in the buffet by Vicente made for a good time and good meal. Like I said before the staff work hard to make you feel welcome and comfortable.

I absolutely loved my stay at the resort and will highly recommend it to couples but not so much families. Go to the Majestic Colonial for family vacation. They have more to offer families.

The beach is absolutely wonderful at the resort!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to coming back to the ME one day!

Room Tip: Enjoy Bahama Mamas with Pedro and Eva, relax and try to have some fun....your on vacation!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple