“I'd do a repeat, yes I would” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Elegance Punta Cana

You added Majestic Elegance Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Elegance Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Majestic Street | Arena Gorda a Macao, Punta Cana 3005, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #14 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Gruene, Texas
“I'd do a repeat, yes I would”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

One of these days I'll hand out a five-star rating. Not this time, but that doesn't mean the Majestic doesnt deserve a great rating. It sure doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the Majestic. If I am of a mind to return to Punta Cana, I will very likely return to the Majestic.

First things first: The Dominican Republic is not a third-world war zone, so relax. I'm sure you can find lots of trouble if you look for it. The country is very impoverished, something quite evident if you wander off the resort properties (which we did, on some very enjoyable tours).. The area of the Carribean in which the Dominican Republic is located sits astride one of the major drug transport highways of the world. And then there's Haiti - the other end of the island and the other end of the world. The places you'll likely visit will be just fine. I found the people of the DR to be uniformly friendly and pleasant. Even the street and beach vendors were nice - and that after being told that I didn't want their wares. Of all the things that impressed me when we first landed (my wife being most surprised that you depart planes via roll-up stairways), it was the cleanliness of the airport restroom. Granted, you will be swarmed at baggage claim by a bevy of porters. I simply said, "Gracias, no" and was left alone. Book a shuttle service and someone will be at a central desk just outside passport control to show you were to go to meet your shuttle. There are no armed gangs lying in wait, there are no hustlers swarming about. Like I said, relax. You'll be okay. Watch your stuff like you normally would, don't go places you wouldn't at home (and you know what I mean), and don't do drugs.

As to the Majestic, it was all I expected and everything I want out of a resort. Check in was simple and fast. I booked through Expedia and, yet again, I had no problem with reservations. Our room was on the quiet side, away from the pools. There wasn't much view, but there wasn't any noise either. The room was much larger than I expected. It was clean, smelled clean, and stayed clean. We had no problems with bugs of any sort, even sitting on the balcony, which I found surprising for being in the tropics. Another reviewer mentioned the pillows. That's true, the bed had four small pillows. If you have a large pillow preference, then bring your own. But, I'm nit-picking. The room was great. Oh - one other room point: Bring your own soap and shampoo. The little hotel soaps weren't very soapy and the shampoo is not the best. It could be due to the water treatment, but I had a hard time getting clean.

We tried every restaurant except the Japanese. Our favorite was the steakhouse. The buffet is fine - expect the standard fare. The food could be warmer, so I'd stay away from things that need full cooking. I opted for custom-cooked eggs and omelettes after experiencing some of the scrambled eggs. Options were plentiful.

We enjoyed the pool although the water is a bit cool this time of the year. If you're a drinker, you'll need to pick a strategic spot nearer one of the bars. Drinks are served in 12 oz cups and accordingly may not last long if you're enjoying yourself. I don't drink, but the wife does. She had no complaints about the tap beer or the mixed drinks. From what I could tell, they lean heavily on rum-based drinks. You are in the DR so rum is plentiful and apparently pretty good. BTW, I learned what "Dominican champagne" is: rum and Sprite. The beach is beautiful but it's rather shallow in the sense that there's not a lot of room between the resort and the water's egde. Chairs can be scarce when the sun is out and people transition from pool to beach.

If you're looking for a massive casino, you might look elsewhere. The casino on the property is pretty basic.

One thing of note that I really appreciated was the overall service and the completeness of the package. The Majestic advertises as all-inclusive and they mean it. There were no hidden charges, no add-on fees or surcharges. The staff does not hound for tips nor do they seem to expect them. I'm generally a big tipper. I don't think I spent $40 on tips the whole time, including baggage handling and room service. I hope I didn't short anyone but honestly never felt obliged to tip at every turn.

One last thing and I'll stop. We did not opt for the Elegance Club upgrade. I'm sure there are some nice amenities involved. We could not see that there was really that much difference between accommodation levels so I'm glad we saved the money. You'll get everything you'll need at the basic price and, unless you are extremely finicky, you'll be pleased with the experience.

Room Tip: None of the rooms has what I'd call a fabulous view. Your choice is poolside or other. We chose...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ludovino, Public Relations Manager at Majestic Elegance Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Mr-Nuke-to-You,

First of all we would like to thank you for take your time and post your feedback regarding your recent stay with us trusting your vacations to our property considering to return giving us another oportunity to host your trip.

We appreciate your comments regarding the room accomodations and the Steak house restaurant as your favorite one during your stay, also please note we are taking your comments regarding the pillows, room amenities and the flavors buffet as positive suggestion in order to improve our services.

Lastly we expect you can give us the honour to be your vacation residence one more time being at your disposal when you decide to make your hotel reservation advising about any special request and also in case you can choose the Elegance club section as the option to stay with all the amenities we offer in order to make your trip more enjoyable the next time.

Cordially,

Argenis Guzman Castillo
Majestic Elegance Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,697)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

as noted in an earlier review, you get private check-in,pools, etc when booking the "elegance" package. in addition, you are assigned a "butler" to help with reservations and any other whims you might have. our butler was Henry, and he was terrific. seemed he could not do enough for us, even though we asked for very little. the room we were assigned was ocean view, which had a very nice view. the room itself could not be considered 5-star, but was probably a 3.5 star room. food was ok. did not check out much of the entertainment. casino is small. overall it was a good vacation

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear donnieblue,

Thank you very much for this important resume about your recent hollidays at Majesitc Elegance and the good punctuation you gave us.

This is a good explanation about some of the services we offer at the Elegance club as the attentions received from your butler Henry, who will be glad to see his special mention in this feedback.

Will be a great pleasure you can consider to choose our property for another great trip and make our hotel one of your favorites places in the Caribbean.

Argenis Guzman Castillo
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I flew to Punta cana dominca republic in october it was 25 of us who went we stayed in the majestic and the rooms where beautiful.The resort was beautiful we had a great time.I enjoyed all the food and restarants that where on the resort..Me and my sister grew a special bond with the funjestic team chocolate girl,cofee girl,lashorty sonso,mozart (michael jackson) minimi,pita to the point that they knew us on first name basis evertime they saw us..I've been many places but this trip here was the best i must visit again real soon! They made us feel very welcomed..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is my 3rd time back at the Majestic Elegance and 3rd time is a charm...but I guess so was the 1st and 2nd otherwise I wouldn't keep on coming back! First I want to say it is nice coming back to some familiar faces...Maxima and Felix at the Club pool bar are the best. It was so nice seeing you again year after year. I'm getting a little sentimental about seeing them there! And Emmanuelle sp? the towel/pool man also at the Club pool...what a nice gentle man and so easy to talk to!
Our flight and travel with Nolitours/Air Transat went very well and I would travel with them again. The reception with Bladimir went very smoothly and he was a very helpful concierge. The food again was great and actually if could possible improve...it did! A must try... the Red Snapper at the French restaurant was delish and the Japanese restauran was also tremendous. Every meal was exceptional and the snacks at the club lounge also were nice fillers. Another nice addition was using hand sanitizer upon entrance to the restaurants...such a necessary item, safety first! The rooms were well maintained and the maid service prompt. Club lounge concierge helpful when needed with the computers. All staff were very friendly, always a hello or a how are you or a good morning...no matter what their roll was in service always a friendly greeting. The beach...none better and kept very very clean with lots of palapa's and lounge chairs. The sunrise perfect...get down there by 7 am with your camera for spectacular view. I will definitely go back again....see you next year Maxima!

Room Tip: Do get the Elegance Club, I prefer rooms on the club beach side!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ludovino, Public Relations Manager at Majestic Elegance Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear siamesekatz,

Here by we would like to extend our gratitude for this positive review about our property, which is your home in the caribbean since you are a 3rd time repeat guest.

We really appreciate your fidelity to our hotel, due to the attentions received from the Elegance club staff, especially from Maxima, Felix , Bladimir and Enmanuel, which will be more than happy to know that you recognize their kind service and their proffesionalism.

Thank you for your recommendation about some of our services as the meals in the restaurants, the snack at the club lounges and the sanitizer in the entrance of the main buffet, which is a plus in our property for all our guest.

Finally, is our desire to host you for 4th time in our hotel, being your favorite residence home in the sunny Punta Cana.

Warm regards,

Argenis Guzman Castillo.
Simcoe, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We recently visited the Majestic Elegance for the fourth time. They upgraded our rooms and we were pleasantly surprised. We visited with our Daughter,her husband and our granddaughter. Our granddaughter was born without a right hand we were so pleased with the way the workers treated her. She is 15 months old and they all made a point of playing with her. We were very happy with our stay. The resort is well kept, the food is really good and the workers are all very pleasant. We are planning to go back for the fifth time next year. Our daughter got married at the Majestic Colonial 5 years ago and they have alot of weddings at this one too. Great resorts for weddings and they do an wonderful job with them. We also like the full length pool and it is a smaller rosort so more personal.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the junior suites twice, they are very nice. We stayed in the adults only section...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Little Chute, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

First impressions and i was at a wow... Future travelers to this resort little tip spring the extra for the "Elegance Club" includes room side pool and private bar from 9 to 5 plus internet lobby. the reason why its not 10 of 10 my jacuzzi did not work 3 of the 7 days but they fixed it.... so on to the review

Resort pretty much had everything you could want or want to do.
Things Done at the resort

- gambled (lot of fun) and you really do win blackjack rules are a little backwards
-sportsbar (meet a lot of nice ppl there) only drawback is the pool sticks some were missing the tips
- Coco Club - (What a Blast) we drank and danced so much i need a vacation from the vacation
-nightly shows (OMG) they had Micheal Jackson tribute it was fantastic (considering what they had to work with , Magic Show from what i seen of it very professional and mind blowing, Karaokie they can make billy ray cyress sound like a star.
- Food - Buffets im not a fan in fact one of my best friends call it a pig troff. But to me this hotel took buffet to another level every buffet was very elegant and the food was about an 8 out of 10
-el la cate resturants - gotta try the steakhouse loved it so much ate there 3 times and the rest were good too.
-OFF THE RESORT-
At the grounds entrance there is a shop i would recommend this - put your bargaining hat on. (you must remember some products cost nothing to make some cost what they cost) just keep in mind one question "what would i pay for this and is it a fair price" there are great deals to be had.

-Excursions-
We took the Jungle tour which i will write a review for. \ Sidebar \ if you have never been to the dominican republic this is a must see you will learn a lot about the culture, people, where they were and where they are headed as a country.

speedboats and snorkeling ..... very fast and yes you drive (hope you like your water salty)

Booze cruze ---- what can i say (once you have one drink why stop)

things to try
mamajuana .... yes its spelled right (you will see)

airport is quick in you will be off the plane and on your bus within a matter of minutes 30 min to the hotel....

Worth the experience as i said before 9 out of 10

Room Tip: ELEGANCE CLUB (if you dont have kids) 1st floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rome, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I Stayed at the Majestic Elegance, We absolutely loved it from the moment we arrived. Service is great and the people that work at the hotel are so kind and happy. I would recommend paying the extra if your planning on having an adult only vacation. Which leaves you access to private pools which one includes a pool bar, with our Favorite bar tender Rinaldo! And access to a private beach area with beach side service. Our room was cleaned daily and always had new towels and stocked refridgerator. We will for sure be planning on visiting and staying at the same resort again in the future!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Majestic Elegance Punta Cana? Share your experiences!