“Calm, serene, and a beautiful view--a sanctuary from "busyness"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #26 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jackson, Tennessee
“Calm, serene, and a beautiful view--a sanctuary from "busyness"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Our second trip to the DR was a relaxing retreat at the Sanctuary, Punta Cana. Around every corner was another creative pool, flower garden, waterfall, or vista. Kudos to the imaginative builders and engineers of the Sanctuary. The Dominican young people on the service staff were focused on the vacationers and greatly enhanced our experience. Thanks Virginia, Angela and Saul for the super service! The restaurants are varied in atmosphere and cuisine. One is an excellent buffet with an on demand grill, and then you have a great steakhouse, outdoor grill by the pool with American fare, Italian, Chinese & Japanese, and a beautiful seafood restaurant over the water's edge, our favorite. Be sure to order the ceviche. We enjoyed the adjacent clean and quiet public beach with the picturesque white sand, bending palms. and blue waters. Evening entertainment, great music, dancing, and pool activities punctuated our restful stay at the Sanctuary.

Room Tip: WiFi is available in all the large lobbies and public spaces. We enjoyed the castle, asked for a roo...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Czech first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Overall, we had an amazing vacation and would definitely return. When we arrived, we were greeted with champagne and were upgraded to a beautiful ocean front room in the castle. Our room was very spacious and had a great outdoor area where we relaxed every day after the beach.

We would typically go to the beach each morning, grab lunch, then head to the pool for the afternoon. We received exceptional service from Martha on the beach and Bernado at the pool bar. The pool chairs would typically get claimed early, so I would recommend going early if you plan on going to the pool.

The food was disappointing. The one place that was really good was Wok. We saved this restaurant for our last night, afterward we wished we had gone more than once! After enjoying the evening entertainment that the resort put on, we would visit Yael at the Love Bar. Yael and the other staff were fantastic!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I would highly recommend this resort.

At the front desk, Francisco was extremely friendly and helpful (and also a supporter of our Houston Rockets!). We upgraded to the honeymoon suite in the Castle and that decision was well worth it. Francisco also followed up later to make sure we were enjoying it.

The Castle is amazing. I loved the overall aesthetic, breathtaking views and the serene atmosphere. The honeymoon suite itself was jaw dropping. A private deck and infinity pool with a view of the ocean- just beautiful! Prior to the trip, I saw some reviews that stated the Castle was a little far from the main hotel of the property. Respectfully, I disagree. The walk is about 5 mins if you take the most direct route. As a matter a fact, we met multiple people who loved their accommodations at the main hotel, but after seeing the Castle, plan to stay there next time.

I had also read that pictures don't do justice to the gardens on the grounds and completely echo that sentiment. As you look in any direction, you see a combination of beautiful flowers, the sea, the pools and lovely architecture. I tend to be a very active traveler who loves being on the go (going from attraction to attraction in new cities, water sports, hiking), but my favorite thing this vacation was simply walking around the resort. You are in paradise after all!

All of the staff were extremely warm, friendly and efficient. Anneliese (spelling may be incorrect) at the reception area of the Castle was very helpful and always had a smile. I wish I remembered more names because there were so many friendly and helpful staff members.
We definitely enjoyed all of the food options and the drinks. The Blue Marlin was my favorite.

We definitely plan to return to Sanctuary Cap Cana in the future!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was my family's first trip to the Dominican Republic. We stayed for 7 days and 6 nights. Were not sure what to expect as some reviews were not the most positive. To our surprise, those reviews were not accurate. Sanctuary was great. The hotel is beautiful, the grounds were amazing, pool staff was quite entertaining (LG, Chris Rock and Woody to name a few), and the rest of the staff tried very hard to please (Virginia and Ladys at Blue Marlin). Trip started a little rocky as the car service did not show up at the airport. But the taxi trip was easy and quick. Once you pull into Cap Cana, you are in another world, just amazing. The check in process was easy and fast. As we checked in at 12pm, the room was not ready yet, but we went to lunch and had a room shortly thereafter. The room was in the main bldg. above the lobby. It had great views of the pool and ocean. We did have to request towels (were not in the room at check in) and a rollaway bed for a son. But once received, we were all set. Spent most of the 7 days at the pool or on the beach. Unlike other spring break trips, never had an issue getting a spot. Plenty of chairs for all. Breakfast was great, tons of food to chose from. There were 3 options for lunch - on the beach (which our son liked), Blue Marlin (went every day) and a buffet option. Had dinner at all the options - favorites were The Steak House and Wok. Enjoyed the Dominican night - but it was so dark it was hard to see what we were eating. Went to the italian restaurant at the sister property Luxury Villas, food was good, but the service did not compare to the Sanctuary. Was it perfect, no. But for the price, an excellent value. Suggested improvements - (1) They could use kids/teen club upgrade. The teen club had nothing in it. (2) Since the property is mostly all-inclusive, the cost of WiFi in the rooms should be included in the rate. The lobby gets quite busy with people looking for free WiFi.

Room Tip: Trying security an upgrade to a Villa.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

excelent place to relax, enjoy and have fun, we have met slot of amazing people that work here and they are like Angeles, this is a paradise, nice pool, dance classes, concert, bike riding. We love the staff like menor, or Maria

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our family saved for a special trip to Sanctuary Cap Cana for our daughter's 18th birthday and my husband's 50th over spring break. The property is beautiful, and the staff very friendly and helpful. The food was good and drinks were great!
The problem with our trip occurred after taking my two daughters for pedicures in the Spa on the Wednesday of our week there. The technician who worked on my feet scraped the skin off the side of my left foot and heel, and when I yelped she said I'd had a blister there (I didn't). Although our daughters' pedicures were fine, my foot definitely hurt...I paid for all three but didn't tip very much.
Back in the room I put Neosporin on but I hardly slept from the discomfort and pain that night. By the next morning it was obviously infected and in the afternoon blood poisoning developed in the wound on the side of my foot.
I went to the clinic onsite and the doctor was VERY helpful, throughly cleaning out the wounds and bandaging them. She started to ask about our payment for services and I said we needed to contact hotel management because I didn't want to pay the clinic fees. A representative from the property came into the clinic and after looking at my foot said they would pay the clinic fees.
For the last two days of our trip I wasn't able to go to the beach or swim in the pools, which really took away from our holiday because I couldn't go with the rest of our family.
When we checked out, I had to ask for my pedicure to be removed from the bill, and they did after I asked.
What I really wish the management had offered to deduct some of our room cost since I couldn't really use the amenities since my foot had to stay dry other than showering.
I finished taking the antibiotics that were given to me in the hotel clinic, and had to go back to my own doctor at home because the infection had not gone away. I wasn't able to sleep completely for more than a week because of the discomfort regardless of the position my foot was in. Now, two weeks later, it's better but still not completely healed. It would be nice to be have a percentage credited back on our AMEX card even at this time for the discomfort I've experienced because we won't be taking another trip like that again for several years.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We were beyond happy with our stay at Sanctuary and can't wait to go back again. Francisoo Diaz upgraded us to a better suit, he welcomed us to the hotel so kind and happy. Menor and Woody were one of our favorite entertainment guys they were so active got us playing some fun games by the pool and full of excitement which is what a vacations all about! Not to mention the amazing service at casa bella, the supervisor yasmine really made breakfast enjoyable. Those are just a few EVERYONE had such amazing service and always smiling couldn't be more happy with such a well kept amazing hotel keep up the GREAT work!!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Kawana P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear CarmenM,
Thank you very much for having choosing Sanctuary Cap Cana for your holidays and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
I am very pleased to acknowledge that our friendly staff made you feel at home from the first minute you were welcomed by Francisco Diaz at our Front Desk. I will congratulate all those staff members whose service exceeded your expectations. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality.
We are certainly looking forward to welcome you back.
Best regards,

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!