The People make the place, hands down. Everyone is incredibly friendly and always happy to see you, especially if you're making the attempt to learn the language- which if you do, Spanish Lessons with LG (as in "Life's Good") are available everyday by the pool in a very fun and informal way. LG and Woody are always around keeping things lively by the pool with the daily events and the bartendars emilio (pool swim up bar) and carlos (castle top bar) are always happy to serve you a tasty beverage. Be sure to tip these guys! They work hard and are fantastic people! Would love to go back just to see them!
Conan was always delightfully helpful every morning to seat us for breakfast and test my evolving spanish 'skills' and our housekeeper Flor Angel was very diligent and attentive to our needs for anything in the room.
They have free wifi in the lobby which is quite fine to check email each day and stay in touch without the need for international call/data gouges...
The only drawback is a rather menial one. Food. You don't go to the Caribbean for the food, I think the best food (4.5 out of 5 in my opinion) was the steakhouse and the blue marlin (seafood), as well as the breakfast. Their takes on Italian and Japanese are okay but if you are used to a high quality cuisine in either of these two areas you may be a bit disappointed, but I certainly commend them for trying to cater to all the different areas of food rather than just setup a generic buffet line like cruise ships tend to do. On the whole, the food was above average in most respects, with the occasional disappointing entree but honestly- it's all inclusive, you don't like something, don't eat it, and order something else.
The weather was just gorgeous, breathtaking landscape and beach which are maintained very well by the grounds-keeping staff, everything is very clean and picturesque. The breeze was perfect in every way each day, the entire resort faces to the east so waking up to see the sunrise is both easy and worthwhile.
Truly an amazing resort, would certainly go back for the weather, the above average food (heard from others that there is worse to be found in the Caribbean), and most importantly of all- The people. Everyone is happy to see you and there was never a doubt in my mind that they indeed wanted to help in any way they could to make our vacation excellente!
I was surprised to see people quoting names in their reviews of this place and indeed find myself doing the same only because of the (if only brief) relationship you build by seeing them each day (the staff doesn't change very often so you get to know the people more than you would elsewhere or like on cruise)....LG, Woody, Carlos, Conan, Flor, Emilio, all made our vacation so much more enjoyable but truly everyone is worth getting to know here and incredibly friendly.
*a note on Punta Cana: flying into punta cana, you really are 10-15 min away, and the roads do not make one reminisce of the term 'third-world'. The location in proximity to the airport is close enough, but not too close (never saw or heard one plane while at the resort), and the roads are maintained quite well (although I would recommend hiring transportation rather than renting a car and 'doing it yourself' because the roads are not so well marked and taxis are expensive), 'Cap Cana' is a private area in that you go through a security checkpoint but nothing like Mexico where they're carrying loaded machine guns or anything....in Punta Cana you're truly in the 'tourist zone', was never fearful for our safety...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Its inspired design combines the charm of a Spanish colonial village with the laid-back sensuality of the Caribbean and the stylish sophistication of streamlined, modern design accents. Bougainvillea-lined pathways lead guests through the resort grounds to 176 expansive, private suites housed in replicas of a tower, colonial buildings and fortress. Within the resort are 5 exceptional restaurants, 5 bars, an elegant casino, a half-mile private beach with sugar-white sand, and meeting space for up to 500 guests, while just minutes away lie all the world-class recreational appeals of Cap Cana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Amex, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., getaroom.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Sanctuary Cap Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Resort