“Couple retreat getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Save Saved
You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Hollywood
“Couple retreat getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My boyfriend gave me this magical trip for my birthday this month, and it was amazing from the moment we enter the resort. The views, rooms, pools and staff was spectacular! Food was good, a bit more season than what I am use too. If you have a clean diet be careful with the ice in the drinks. They do serve bottle water but the ice is to be opt out. Salads and fruit, be careful, unless the fruit is cut up and you eat the inside. We deffently coming back, fell in love with this place, it's romantic and beautiful everywhere you turn!

Room Tip: We stayed at the Fortaleza suits and loved it. However each section of this resort is unique and cha...

1,930 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Czech first
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We just got back from Sanctuary Cap Cana, it was a great last minute trip! The setting is really beautiful and the resort never feels crowded. We never had to wait for dinner and there were plenty of chairs by the pool/beach. We loved that it was a quick 15 minutes ride from the airport!

Like other reviewers have mentioned, the staff is not overly friendly but they are very pleasant and accommodating. The food was better than we had anticipated. Some of the meals did seem like "banquet meals" (i.e. the Steakhouse steak was covered in gravy and seemed like it may have been sitting in a chaffing dish in the back). But taste wise, our meals were flavorful and we were never hungry. We also found the service to be speedy, which we like.They do rotate what nights the restaurants are open so plan ahead if you want to visit them all.

We did experience some little gnats and bugs in the morning, we had expected more based on other reviews. There was a ton of seaweed/kelp during our stay. We were only able to get it the ocean on the first day. They had crews out trying to get rid of it, but because of recent storms mounds just kept washing up each day. If you are going JUST for the beach, I would suggest staying somewhere else. I loved the pools so it wasn't really an issue for you. There was a more active pool with a swim up bar, a middle pool that was great for napping and an upper level infinity pool that was perfect for looking out over the ocean. We did wish there was a pool bathroom, we went back to room each time since we were close.

We stayed in room 2044 and loved how close we were to everything! The room was spacious, the bed was comfy but we wished we could have seen the TV from the the bed - it was doable if you angled yourself just right. The couch cushions need to be replaced, there was no padding. The linens/towels are not luxurious but they aren't bad either. The mini bar consisted of beer, water, coke products. No liquor or snacks, not a deal breaker!

The one area we felt needed a little love was the gym. There was water leaking from the ceiling and the machines and flooring really need some attention. There isn't a huge selection of equipment, but there is certainly enough variety to get your workout in.

We booked with Expedia and added the Blue transportation from the airport. We were very pleased with their professionalism. I would suggest this over taking a risk with a random cab driver.

Jacksonville Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My friend and I wanted to get away for a few nights somewhere we could basically arrive and never leave the resort. The main goals being relaxation and fun. When we arrived we were so impressed by the resort. The architecture, staff and pools were gorgeous. Our junior suite was bigger than expected and over looked the pool/ocean. We immediately went down to the pool and enjoyed the swim up bar for cocktails. The restaurants were all great and featured a variety of different options (Italian, Japanese, Seafood). Each day the entertainment staff would come by and engage with guests in fun games and activities.

The most notable staff members were David, Manor, and Junior. They go above and beyond to make sure guests have a great time!

Overall, an awesome place and would recommend to anyone looking for a new place to vacation.

Room Tip: Stay in the castle, it's amazing.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Beautiful property with manicured landscapings and charming architecture. I took an all inclusive package and I highly recommend it, as quality and variety of food was excellent. It also included all drinks, which was convenient for my husband and I since we were looking for some rest and relaxation, without any hassle. Service at this hotel is superior. All employees strive to make you feel right at home.
On the other hand, I have to say that we made a booking for a Jr suite ocean view, and upon arrival we were assigned to a first floor Jr suite from which we didn't see not even an inch of ocean. I called to reception twice to request a change of room and was told that there were no ocean view rooms available for that night, that they could get us another room with ocean view for the next night. I didn't go further with my complaint as we were on a short 3 night stay, but it gave me a not-so-good first impression.
However, as we continued experiencing the resort, our impression went from less to more thanks to the excellent service, great food and beauty of the resort.
The beautiful main pool has beach entry and swim up bar; enough lounge chairs at all times.
I did not swim at the beach so I cannot comment on that.
There are several specialty restaurants, one of them is asiatic; it has a teppan-yaki table for which you have to make reservation in advance. It was great..
All in all, a great vacation. I recommend it, and I would definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2014
Ignacio P, Director General at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I visited this resort in July. We were there on our 10 year wedding anniversary. We had an awesome time. I would venture to say this was one of the best resorts we have visited. The staff was always very friendly and willing to help. We had no problem getting a beach cabana everyday. The beach has a lot of seaweed, but was still very relaxing and beautiful. The pools were clean and not too crowded. We even enjoyed the infinity pool at the top one day. We were the only ones in there.

The restaurants were good, but not great. I have definitely had better food, but I have also had much worse. They gave everything a worthy effort. The buffet for breakfast was good, we got omelets made to order everyday. We also tried the buffet for lunch one day, which was pretty good. The restaurant at the castle was tasty. My least favorite was the Italian. Our last night, with another couple that we met, we ventured over to the other resort to try their restaurant; it was okay. It was a change of pace, but i don't know that the food was much better. The service seemed better at our own resort.

Our room was clean and spacious; the bed was comfy. We had a walk out to the beach room. The shower and water pressure was fine. There did seem to be bugs in the bathroom area though. It was more like gnats or ants. It was nothing too gross though. We had to request towels and wash cloths at least twice because the room was cleaned, but no new linens were provided.

We didn't really do any excursions this time. We decided to really relax and just enjoy the resort. We took pictures one day, since it was our anniversary. They came out really nice. My husband participated in volleyball, making mojitos, Spanish lessons, dance lessons, and they tried to get me to do the fruit carving to no avail. The "cocktail party" by the pool was nice. I won a free 25 minute massage. The spa was great!! We walked to Jaunillo beach one day, and wondered about the castle a little. We never did bingo, but went to the Dominican dance night. That was good entertainment. The love lounge was a bit dead because the guest were not really into dancing. My husband made his own party, and there were a few other couples that danced a little. The drinks never seemed to really be that strong. I never felt drunk, not even once. I did feel mysteriously sick one day; I guess from too much alcohol, but never a great buzz.

This resort is definitely a couples place. We enjoyed it, and glad we decided to stay at Sanctuary. I certainly recommend it for couples or just as a place to get away and relax. The resort is not big or not too small. The castle is further away from everything else. The resort is a short ride from the airport, but a bit costly for a taxi. Overall I had a great time, and smile every time I think about the great 10 yr Anniversary that my husband planned for me.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are very glad to learn that you had a wonderful vacations, it is a pleasure to read that you
enjoyed our facilities and service. Our main goal is to transform the holidays of our guests in memorable moments and we are very happy to read that we accomplish that goal with you.

We hope you will visit us again at this, your Sancturary.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Honeymooned here and returned for 1st anniversary with my wife and 3 month old. The staff was amazing as usual and treated my new son like a Prince. Upgraded to the swim out suite in Fortress and had beautiful salt water pool shared only be a few rooms. The view was spectacular and very private.

Breakfast - Each day started off with the sweetest smile on property at Casa Bella, Lourdes (who has a beautifulllllllll daughter Genesis). She was so welcoming and courteous that we couldn't wait to see her in the am. We thought the options for breakfast were more than you could want and changed each day. Some reviewers didn't like the breakfast. They must have expected caviar laden bald eagle eggs.

Lunch - Blue Marlin = Perfection.

Dinner - Try each one once and Steakhouse twice.

Nightlife - Joanna and Caraballo took great care of us at Love bar. What a relaxing atmosphere for mimosas in the am, Presidente after lunch and wine in the evenings...and sampling everything else in between.

Housekeeping and minibar - On time and efficient. Extremely nice in the hallways as well.

Tips: 1. Get lost on the property. There are so many different villas and buildings. 2. Take a $3 cab ride and visit the Palapa Beach Club at Eden Roc (suggested by concierge team at Sanctuary). I have been all over the World and it was the most beautiful beach I have seen. Drinks were surprisingly reasonable there as well.

Only bad part was it took over an hour for bell team to come get luggage before check out. Had to call 4x. We were on the edge of the resort and it wasn't possible to walk it all myself. I was clearly aggravated over the issue at checkout and nobody seemed to care. I thought that was odd considering how wonderful the rest of the stay was.

I would return here in a minute. Would like to know what future plans are as there is talk of closing for renovation. Also, thank you to Ignacio and Norberto for assistance with booking. You will be hearing from me again soon for another visit. Keep up the great work and miss you already!!!

Room Tip: Fortress is very private and an absolutely beautiful building.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you a lot for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your anniversary with us, for recommending us to property to other travelers, and for your compliments.

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments about our facilities.

We will be waiting for you to experience another great stay at our Sanctuary.

Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We just returned from a week in Cap Cana and it was AMAZING. Thanks to Adrienne at Rubinsohn Travel who ensured every detail was in place before our arrival for this special trip. The airport was very cool and easy travel to the resort <10 minute ride. As we approached the resort it was exclusive and safe with guards at the Cap Cana entrance and arrival to the beautiful, Spanish style , secluded, Sanctuary Resort. We were greeted with frozen drinks and chilled cloths as we checked in. Hector, the Manager welcomed us with an upgrade, and our accommodations inThe Castle were ready, even though we were 2 hours early! Housekeepers, bartenders and servers were extraordinary and very friendly, and patient with the language barrier. The complex is huge with amazing views, private pools and meticulous landscaping . Food was just ok. Larry, waiter at the Italian restaurant and Juan, at Blue Marlin are your best bets. Breakfast buffet was good variety. Naomi at the beach bar was super delightful and we kept her busy. A very special week long stay that ended with a non eventful tropical storm, some beautiful,photos and memories.

Room Tip: We chose the Sanctuary based on a friends referral and the fact it was close to Cap Cana Marina. Ou...
Dear Guest,

We will be waiting for you to experience another great stay at our Sanctuary.

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!