“Gorgeous Hotel and Views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #25 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ohio
“Gorgeous Hotel and Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We've stayed at several all inclusive hotels and this tops them all. The service, staff, views, food and facilities are all top notch. Eleodoro was our waiter several times and took exceptional care of us. Ask for top shelf liquor at the bars. There is a great variety of food for all tastes and the buffets were excellent. Views at Blue Marlin are gorgeous, definitely have lunch there! For some kid-free relaxation, visit the pool at the fortress - great views there!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for extending us your kind compliments about our property. It is a pleasure to know all your expectations were exceeded. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

Ignacio Perez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Czech first
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I didn't want to go! When my wife booked this vacation I wasn't thrilled to learn we were heading to the Dominican. I had never been to that island before and was apprehensive.
We have stayed at top resorts in the Caribbean on more than 20 trips and this resort is easily the best experience and vacation we have ever had.
Nothing is perfect and when we arrived there was a problem with overbooking. However, the manner in which the manager and his staff resolved the issue was just amazing. Problems can always occur but it is how they are handled that matters.
The staff, the food and the facilities are amazing. I can't say enough about how fantastic it was for us.
The rooms are just wonderful and if you have the opportunity to stay in the castle I highly recommend you do so. The other rooms look great also but the castle is worth the extra.
Also, I was super impressed with the airport. What a beautiful concept and building. Nothing quite like it really.
We arrived home on Saturday March 15th and, we can't wait to return!
A special thank you to the resort manager who was so professional in how he treated us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I liked the resort because of its property size to # of rooms ratio. It has a huge property with just ~78 rooms, so it never felt over-crowded even during peak season (went in Feb). The check-in process was a bit slow, but otherwise service great. A few tips:
- need to get up early to grab the covered little cabanas on the beach. By 7:30 am, they were all taken.
- the adjacent "public" beach is just as nice as the private resort beach. There, you can rent stand-up paddleboards, kayaks, etc.
- make friends with the lawn maintenance crew and they will cut fresh coconuts up for you. (we tipped them a nominal amount.)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our Sanctuary Cap Cana for your past holiday.

We are pleased to read, that you have had a wonderful experience in our Resort and we are very glad to learn that since the beginning to the end of your stay, you have felt like paradise.

I would like to thank you for the mention and recognition to our associates; they work very hard to please all our guests. All our team has the strong committed with all our guests in achieve the total satisfaction and always look for your wellbeing, we are very happy to read that, once again, we accomplish that goal with you during your stay with us.

Hope to see you soon in this your Sanctuary!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

The place was something out a travel magazine and while the architectural design was breath taking, the service wasn't 100% there.

We had 17 in our group. We arrived mid-afternoon. My husband and I were given an upgrade at no cost. While our room was Amazing, our friends were not so lucky. Some had to wait several hours for a room they didn't like. The language barrier was challenge even with the most basic stuff. We eat a vegetarian, gluten free, diet. We expected more to choose from being on an island of warm growing weather 24/7/365 days of the year. While the food was amazing, we were limited. The funniest question was; "do you eat fish?" Uh, no we eat a Vegetarian diet, not a Pescetarian diet. I feel if one works in the food industry, one should know about a variety of diets people choose for health or personal reasons.

We checked out early. Our wakeup call never happened. Thank goodness we used our phone for a backup alarm. In addition, the bell man never came to pickup our luggage even though we were told he was on his way 3 different times. After waiting 45 minutes (and yes, we called the night before for a pickup) we walked it by foot. Half way into our walk, someone picked us up and he wasn't dressed as a bell man.I asked for a receipt but wasn't given one. I was then asked to fill out a survey card which at that point I was doing them a favor by not filling one out. I was like you forgot about us, act like it's not a big deal and now you want a positive review?? We didn't want to be the last ones in our group, but others were forgotten about as well.

We Loved the property, the food we could eat, and the people we could converse with. Our room and the property were spotless and we felt safe. I suspect they were short staffed. Perhaps it was under new ownership, or in a transition period of some sort. This place is above average but I can't say excellent either as they need to work on their service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our facilities, your room, the food and the service. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sent to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Very pleased with the service and staff. Pools were great and an easy walk to the expansive Juanillo Beach adjacent to property. Short shuttle ride to a phenomenal golf course, Punta Espada. To me one of the best parts of the resort was I felt I had a lot of personal space to relax no matter where I was. I understand the resort was at 100% occupancy due to spring break, but not once did I feel overcome by noise and too many people like other large resorts. Will definitely consider a return trip to Sanctuary.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The longer I live and the more places I visit, I realize that life is not black and white, there are many shades of grey. Some of these negative reviews are partially true. Did some guests get bumped to a "Sister property" for 1 night? Yes. We asked how often this happens and they said about 10 days per year. They then bend over backwards to try to make it right by you so that when you leave you cannot wait to return. We were originally booked for a week March 8th- 15th. Upon arrival, the Dominican "Carnival" was going on so yes, the hotel, of 180ish rooms was overbooked. I felt a little bad for the poor young soul who delivered the news to my wife, who pretty near tore him a new one in Spanish and English. I am sure should would have done it in sign language too if she could. We were taken next door and given a room with no view and after some negotiating got upgraded to a Bay front room for 1 night. The next morning we went back to Sanctuary Cap Cana and saw Metz again who started the process of making it up to us. We met with him briefly the day before. On Sunday, I met with him for probably an hour going over different ways in how to better deal with this type of situation when it arises. The "cleanup" requires a huge expenditure of energy on behalf of the staff. We were booked for an Oceanfront Junior Suite and got upgraded to a Monarch Oceanfront Villa for the remainder of our stay. 10 feet from the ocean during low tide and heard the waves beneath us daily. Priceless.

The true test of a person or company, is not how they behave when everything is running smoothly, but how do they act "when the crap hits the fan." Here they rallied around you and tried their best to make it up to you instead of duck and hide. This is a very romantic resort with Spanish architecture. From Enrique and Hector of the Management Team, to Carlos at the Pool Bar, Wascar our server, Isaac at the Blue Marlin Bar, Josephina at Concierge Services, Roland in Room Service, Elijio of the Entertainment team and Griselda of Housekeeping did an amazing job working hard everyday to provide us with a memorable experience of a lifetime. The view and service could not be beat for the price. Great value. I will also challenge anyone reading this review to find more dedicated staff anywhere. They love what they do and you immediately know that when you meet them.

All right, now were there any areas that I would improve, yes. Obviously the process of how people are notified of an over booking, other than that, I would add an ATM machine in the lobby. I would add Pizza to the menu at all the restaurants. I would use fresh cut French fries and get rid of the canned mushrooms. I would add more chefs for peak times at the Blue Marlin so the wait is more tolerable. The Chefs also need training in preparation and presentation and Servers need training to always monitor their tables to see if they can get anything for their customers.

This vacation started out bumpy but was quickly turned around by the venue and the dedicated staff. Ignacio, I have my own business, and as you know, your biggest asset are those that I have mentioned above that walk your grounds daily.

Upon departure, we heard rumors that the resort has been bought and will change hands in September to possibly a Hyatt. The staff were optimistic that what will change is the name and improvements to the property, hopefully additional cooking staff and added training. Everyone here wants to improve.

The value here cannot be beat and yes, I travel a lot.

Best wishes and Thank you for an amazing vacation! We will see you again.

Warmest regards and much success,
Ahmed and Rachel Nassar

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments and it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our facilities, the walk through our grounds and corridors and the service provided by our staff.

Thank you for preferring Our Sanctuary!

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is a gorgeous property with breathtaking views of blue/green water. Our Room was great. pool and beach were amazing and food was good. Staff were excellent!! Introduce yourself to Metz the property manager, Junior & Eddy at the pool for drinks, Edward or Oscar to score great poolside chairs, Isaac, Manuel, Valentina or Larry for excellent service in the restaurants. Dominicans are THE SWEETEST PEOPLE I know and are all about service, When you are there, be kind and tip a few bucks -- especially to acknowledge over and above effort and service. These folks work so hard to ensure your stay is memorable and relaxing. ooh and BEST CONCH CHOWDER EVER!!! Visit this property soon. You'll be so glad you did. PS... don't book a car service to Sanctuary. It's only about 15 min from the airport and will be ~ $30 each way. If you book a service, you will be heading to the airport for your return flight way too early. Do the taxi!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are very glad to learn that you had a wonderful vacations, it is a pleasure to read that you
enjoyed our facilities and service. Our main goal is to transform the holidays of our guests in memorable moments and we are very happy to read that we accomplish that goal with you.

We hope you will visit us again at this, your Sancturary.

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!