“Second Time and We Will Be Back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NY, NY
“Second Time and We Will Be Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We took our second trip to Sanctuary Cap Cana for our wedding anniversary in December and it was better than our first. We recommend this resort to all who are going to Punta Cana. From the front desk to the restaurant, concierge, spa and housekeeping staffs the service was excellent and always profesisonal. The restaurants, the beach and the amenities all top notch. Our Room 3047 in the castle was perfect. There are many food and drink options (room service was always prompt and tasty), always room at the pools and beaches and daily activities. Couple that with a beautiful resort unlike any other I have seen (its great just to walk around) and it makes for a perfect vacation. The resort is overseen by an excellent GM (he attended Cornell the best hotel school in the world) and a gracious managerial staff. I am not one to give out compliments easily but this resort deserves the attention. My wife and I will be back to Sanctuary Cap Cana annually (albeit next time with our children so we will not be able to stay in the adults-only castle). Looking forward to our next trip there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read that you had a wonderful experience at our Sanctuary, we are very pleased to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ignacio Perez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Czech first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I’m sorry to say we were yet another victim to fall prey to Sanctuary’s bait and switch program you’ve all certainly read about by now. I was apprehensive since I’d read about so many incidents, but none of the recent reviews mentioned this practice so we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. I knew something was amiss the moment we pulled up and were ushered into a side building rather than the main lobby. There was another unhappy family in there that did not receive the ocean front room they had booked. Obviously, this was the room where they dealt with “issues” so as not to alert everyone in the lobby area. I’ll also note you aren’t served a “welcome drink” when you’re sent to this room. We were told travel agents were to blame as they “overbooked” the resort. I explained that I had booked directly with the hotel, not through a travel agent, but at this point it seems the language barrier prevented him from understanding my argument. We were offered a 4-night free stay to be used at some other point over the next year, but not knowing if we’d be back (or if I’d want to come back), I just asked for the night at the other resort to be comped. Clearly if they can get a big booking, it’s worth it for them to piss off a few guests here and there and to comp some rooms in an empty sister property.

We were promptly shuttled off to a sister property about 8 minutes away called Alsol Village which appeared to have just opened and consisted of mostly vacant storefronts surrounding a marina. Another couple who had also been turned away were in the cab with us (they had negotiated upgrades and a 7-night return trip even though their original booking was for only 3). There was a beach, but it was about a 10-minute walk. We were taken to our room that was a very large, nicely appointed suite/efficiency. Overall, the property was very nice, though it felt like a ghost town and not somewhere I’d choose to stay when I’m on a “beach” vacation.

We were up bright and early for the breakfast buffet (extensive), packed up and asked to be taken back to Sanctuary. We figured that we might as well enjoy the day at the resort we had booked, and also hoped that if we arrived early we’d have a better chance to securing our room. All appeared well at the reception deck so we headed to the beach and had a great lunch at the Blue Marlin overlooking the ocean. The beach is very small as other travelers had noted, but it was fine for us. The grounds are lush and really gorgeous. We had no problems finding chairs and overall everything else about our stay was great. After lunch our room was ready and we’d been upgraded to a lovely villa (2009) up on a hill - very private with a deck/lawn with ocean views.

A few comments about the food: I’ve never stayed in an all-inclusive, but I thought the food, though nothing to write home about, was certainly decent. Lots of options for the breakfast buffet, and we sat outside over looking the pool every morning which was lovely. We ate lunch at the Blue Marlin every day. We tried all three restaurants and enjoyed the Italian one the most. The appetizers are small everywhere so order extra. Also order your meat at a lower temperature than usual at the steakhouse as they really overcook the meat. There are only two wines by the glass covered on the all-inclusive. The Cabernet was not great, however, the Sauvignon Blanc was drinkable. The bartenders were not as attentive as the servers, but nice once they notice you. Overall, we found the staff to be very friendly. I took the advice of other travelers and brought about $150 in small bills so we could tip everywhere, which seemed greatly appreciated.

Other things to note:
• We ended up having some random guy vs. a cab driver take us to the resort. He had to ask directions, but it was only $25. The cab back was $30. It’s only about a 15-minute ride.
• You don’t need to change over any currency
• The only place where the Wifi is free is in the main lobby. I was irritated at first as every hotel now offers free wifi, but decided it was a good excuse to truly check out of work.
• We didn’t have any spa services, but it looked nice. Not cheap though – mani/pedi was $90 and a massage ran $165+.
• You’ll read about the “Castle” and it’s really only a few minutes walk from the main lobby – it’s also where the Wok and the Spa are located. I’m sure the rooms are nice, but the whole compound seemed very empty and rather eery to me (though the resort was fully booked). It felt more like you were inside of a pyramid vs. a castle, with no tropical/beachy vibe.
• There are two pristine beaches on either side of the resort that are nice for walking and would probably provide great snorkeling.

I’d definitely go back – but next time I’m going to call (or email) in advance, ask to speak with the manger, and get confirmation that they have a room for us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that thus may have caused, know that your feedback is very important for us. It must to be note that day after day we put a lot of effort and dedication in providing our guests the best quality service as they well deserve.

As regards the situation presented by the overbooking during the stay that you had reserved, it should be note that the overbooking is not a common policy in our hotel, I would like to assure you that the occurred is not in anyway representative of our overall service; we ask your understanding for these situations that occur in every hotel around the world, although it is not a daily thing at ours.

I personally assure you that we are committed to achieving our complete customer satisfaction; it is for this reason that we offered several options to improve your feelings.
I assure you that the necessary measures have been already taken to avoid this type of situations in the future.

Once again I extend you my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

General Manage
Tarrytown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled to this resort. The weather that week was wonderful. The hotel and grounds are breathtaking. The service was outstanding. We did encounter one waitress that for unknown reason, refuse to service us (with the exception of one time when we called her over). There was also some problems with our toilet, but the staff was able to remedy it quickly. But other than those isolated situations, everything about the trip was amazing. I would highly recommend this hotel and would love to go back one day.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Santuary Cap Cana for seven nights in late Feb 2014. The resort's scenery is flawless. Gorgeous palm trees, ocean, pools, perfectly-manicured lawns, flowers, and plants. You're greeted with "Welcome Home" and given a delicious drink upon arrival. Temps in the mid 80s everyday. It was a wonderful experience and I loved spending my birthday in paradise. :)

Rooms: There are many options for rooms: gorgeous Spanish-style buildings, the Castle (adults only), or private villas. All rooms have available ocean-front views. We originally booked a junior ocean suite but were upgraded to a private villa. While I cannot speak to the Castle rooms or other room types, our stay in our private villa was amazing. It was like our own private house in paradise. Super comfy, king size bed. Fresh flowers placed on our bed and towels each day. High ceilings, nice furniture and decor, everything worked properly. 24 hr room service available, rooms cleaned everyday.

Pools and Beaches: All unique. The main pool is always very busy. Tough to get a towel/seat at times. Main pool has a swim-up bar and the water aerobics class at noon is always fun and high-energy. We enjoyed the infinity pool to the left of the main lobby. The water spills down into another pool below. It was always less crowded, had hammocks, and the view from there is beautiful. Another hidden gem is the pool on top of the Castle. Not much seating but quiet and great view! The resort beach was nice. Again, usually crowded. The beach to the left of the Castle (Juanillo Beach) is beautiful and worth seeing. A bit windy though. :)

Food and Service: All Inclusive. Food is okay. I mean, not terrible, but not terrific. Everyone will have different tastes as far as favorite restaurants. Our favorite for dinner was the Italian place, Cappricio. Small portions, but we liked the food. Can't beat Blue Marlin for lunch (the view alone made it our favorite lunch spot). Service was a bit slow, but who's in a hurry? You're on vacation! ;) Everyone was polite and always smiling. Drinks and bars were good, and I liked the "Drink of the Day" thing they did. Bernardo at the Love Bar is so entertaining. Try the Mamajuana shot at least once. ;) For my birthday, my boyfriend booked us a romantic, private dinner on the beach. It was lovely. And, the door to our villa was decorated with a Happy Birthday sash and balloons. I also had a bottle of champagne and a birthday cake waiting for me inside our villa.

Excursions: We did Hoyo Azul and Catamaran boat experience. Hoyo Azul was great (see my review of it) and the Catamaran was awesome! You go out on a boat, see the coast, snorkel in the Caribbean (my favorite part of the trip!), then drink and dance on the boat. Then we anchor in the middle of the Sea to drink, listen to music, and enjoy each other's company. SO FUN! You can book them both from Santuary Cap Cana, very easy.

The only place where we had issues was getting through to the resort to confirm our booking. It seemed impossible for awhile...always being transferred around and never getting to speak to a person who could confirm our reservation. But, it did work out, and I'm glad it did. We had the best experience and made great memories. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Private villas are the way to go. :)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Amazing resort, 5 star staff! We are a slightly older couple and we went to Cap Cana to get married/ honeymoon there and just returned. Hector, Stephanie and Metz at reception were great!! They upgraded us to the castle room with a private beach entrance for our honeymoon to ensure all was perfect. Jose at the front door was always eager to help and constantly had a smile for us. Jean at the Casa Bella served us every am & always had a table for us. Food was great, plenty of choices! Resort older but so well maintained, this staff works feverishly on up keep. Grounds are gorgeous and immaculate!! Our wedding planner Stephany was top notch and did a great job. Pools are beautiful, rooms clean and spacious. Romantic beach dinner is a must. Restaurants were great!! Our favorites: The Wok, The Casa Bella, The Blue Marlin, The Steak House and The Capricio. Drinks were great, top shelf alcohol was the norm. Maid service 2x a day so plenty of towels. The lighting and niches to sit and read or talk are limitless and very cozy. Not a spring break hot spot, which is good if you want a laid back vacation. Mostly 35 and up or families, so really a nice resort for married or a little older crowd. Seemed to be plenty of chairs, most reserve them with the towels in the am but you can find a chair up to 9- 10 am. Beach isn't really large but very nice with adequate chairs allotted. There is a public beach on each side of the hotel that you can safely walk on and it too is well maintained. The furniture is all upscale and newer so it look and sits nicely. It is a BEAUTIFUL resort with a fantastic staff!! ALSOL should be thrilled with the staff they employ there, they work feverishly to take care of everything you need and keep that resort looking so spotless. We noticed a hammock was ripped and less than an hour later the staff was replacing it with a new one. They walk that property consistently make sure no items like that go unnoticed. We travel a lot through out the year and go to Jamaica yearly but The Sanctuary has quickly earned its way to a top spot for resorts to revisit and that's no easy task. We will definitely return to this hidden gem, it has proven that small resorts can indeed compete with the large resorts. Well done Alsol!!!

Room Tip: If your not a honeymooner or dont get that upgrade then pay a little more and get an ocean front sui...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left you a memorable impression.

At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

We look forward to your next visit.

Hartford CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We spent 5 fast days at Santuary. Overall a fantastic, quick escape from the cold.
Upon arrival we were offered an upgrade. We were v skeptical but had an amazing result.

We booked an oceanfront junior suite in the castle. We were instead brought to a VILLA.
A 2 story palace: 2 massive bathrooms, a giant bedroom suite, 2 indoor pools
and no smell at all. The space was v uptodate. No broken tiles, just a direct ocean view!

My group had never been to an all inclusive. We assumed it would require careful food
selection, and it did. But we found some good salads and just enough to keep us happy.
We liked The Wok and lunch at the Blue Marlin. We never needed reservations.

Drinks were our biggest issue. We would have happily paid for a REAL grey goose martini.
Some how all the alcohol (except beer and wine) did seem watered down. It was frustrating. I wish they said house liquor was free and top shelf was extra. We would have been happy to pay!

Staff was always cheerful and available for us. We did make a point of tipping and found everyone knew us pretty quickly. We never waited for drinks or food. All smiling and attentive.
Tip!! It is well worth it!!

Room Tip: We loved the castle. And an Oceanfront is on the ocean... Ocean view is never a good choice at any...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share your recent experience in our Sanctuary on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful holiday in our resort, we are glad to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and Service.

We are very grateful with your mention about our associates, thank you very much for recognize their work and for comment the details that they have had with you, our team consists of people that are always ready to go the extra mile, in order to provide an excellent service and to transform your vacations into memorable moments.

Be sure that they will know about your review and you recognition, they will be more than happy to know the good impression that they left on you.

On another hand, concerning your recomendations for the alcoholic drinks, I should note that we have a large selection of quality drinks which are generally pleasing the customer. However,
Our guest´s observations are vital for us, because we can improve our service and learn what our guest are looking for. We appreciate all your notes; we assure you that we will be working on it.

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed at Sanctuary Cap Cana in February 2014. Had a Junior Suite beachside, approximately 65 square meters.

The positive reviews about the place are all right on the money - in summary:

Food was the best "all-inclusive" that I have seen (and I have seen many). Breakfast and lunch at Bella Casa were great, and my favorite for dinner was the Steakhouse, also had a good experience at Italian restaurant, and Wok (Japanese) and Blue Marlin restaurants were good.

Property is very beautiful, well-maintained, and service was friendly and great.

Fitness center was decent, and you will be able to do everything you need - cardio equipment was better than at most Caribbean resorts.

The location is about 20 minutes from the airport ($30 each way) but little far from any shopping and such. It is a $40 cab ride each way to get to the nearest shopping center, so do yourself a favor and bring all you need from home. The gift shop and minimarket on the property have very limited supplies.

Beach is not quite as great as at a few other resorts in DR, but still no complaints - plus I liked the fact that the resort's private location means that you can safely leave stuff at your spot on the beach without having to worry about your things walking away on their own while you are swimming.

I had time to do a few short excursions - Cave tour very cool and highly recommend. Hoyo Azul Eco Tour is nice, and in the end you can swim in the blue cave lagoon, which is very cool. You can easily do both these tours the same day as they are only about 2.5 hours each, but make sure to do the Cave tour first in the morning, as it involves a 15-minute nice hike up the mountainslope.

Also had time to do a 20-minute helicopter sighseeing ride. Very highly recommend, even if I am biased since I fly for living....But the optimum time is 20-minutes on this excursion - you will see everything and you will thank yourself for doing it.

Over the past 6-7 years I have been to 6 different resorts in DR, and so far this is my favorite. If you are wondering whether to choose Sanctuary over almost all of the other local resorts, let me make it easy for you - do it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana, it is our PASSION to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable, thank you for you kind remarks and recognition of efforts. Please tell your friends about our hotel.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!