“Great resort!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
“Great resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Sanctuary cap cana is an excellent resort with wonderful staff. The location is excellent and the food is great for all-inclusive. The rooms are soo nice! It's only about 15 minutes from the airport. The pool service is great.

Room Tip: the whole resort is nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments and it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our facilities, the walk through our grounds and corridors and the service provided by our staff.

Thank you for preferring Our Sanctuary!

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Ignacio Perez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Czech first
Barling, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews and booked anyway. Take this for what it is worth. I have traveled extensively. I have written many reviews on this site. I have stayed at Secrets Maroma. The Royal Cancun. Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen. Barcelo in Cabo. Grand Caribe Real in Cancun. Many others as well.
Sanctuary is just running a scam. They overbook then take you to a sister property Alsol. Then you wait an additional day, til after 3 pm to get your room. We spent over an hour the night of our arrival arguing. Many people who booked this resort after I did, including friends of ours got rooms and we did not. Arguing was pointless. We asked if we could eat at Alsol and were told yes. We got there and the restaurant was closed and no room service so we went to bed with no dinner, No drinks in a place we were unfamiliar with. The next day I returned to Sanctuary to begin bargaining again for the room I had booked months earlier. Needless to say this is an extremely unpleasant way to begin a short vacation. We essentially lost a day and only had 4 days. Very frustrating. I actually called Sanctuary the morning we departed to confirm my Rommel and was assured that we would be in room 3041. The property is gorgeous. As many reviewers have said however, disrepair abounds from poolside chairs, toilets that don't flush, etc. It looks amazing they just miss the mark in so many ways.
The food is fair to good. Not a deal breaker I would say.
Service is lacking. Very spotty poolside service. May not see a server all day. Of all the all inclusives I have visited this is the worst service I have received. Go to Grand Velas or Secrets Maroma and you will see what service is about.
Carlos at the bar is just great. Problem is there is only one of him. The managers spend their days trying to appease people who have no rooms all day each day. There is really no time to manage, just try and fix problems. Signing checks for all inclusive wears on you. Believe me. Seems like a small deal. At the end of 3-4 days it will become just another nuisance. Trying to get around all the nuisances in my opinion detracts from the only real asset this place has which is it's beauty.
There are just so many other options for resorts in the Dominican, I can't recommend anyone choose this resort. I am a fair reviewer. I will never return here. In my opinion the reviews on trip advisor are pretty accurate. In other words you just don't know what you may get at this resort. If spending hard earned money one might consider a more consistently good option. Inconsistently inconsistent seems to be appropriate at Sanctuary. A shame as the place Is quite scenic. This emperor has no clothes. Another way of looking at it-you can paint a pig. It's still a pig.

• Stayed January 2014
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for having taken the time to write your concerns after having stayed with us.

Exceeding the expectation of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this, it is necessary to provide good service and attitude. I will be attentive to the behaviour of our staff so as to avoid situations that lead us from the goa.

I am very concerned to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. Nevertheless my staff always tries to fulfil all our guests needs. If a problem is reported, we do our best to solve it on location in the best manner for all parts. If some of my staff did not meet your expectations on solving problem, I truly apology and correcting actions already have been taken.

In general we have a high percentage of satisfaction from our guests on food quality. Still do we understand that the taste differed from each and every person.

Your comments on improvement areas have been shared with my managing team and it will be part of our daily work.

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I live in snowy, Indiana and on cold days like this one I would LOVE to be back at the Sanctuary. My parents first convinced my husband and I to go back in August and we already cannot wait to go back.

The rooms are AMAZING with breathtaking views and a staff that cleans them keeps everything looking fantastic by cleaning twice a day. The entire staff is attentive professional and are always there to make your stay more enjoyable.

I recommend this as a vacation spot of honeymooners, couple or solo guest who want to relax and getaway from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: The rooms in "the castle" are great for privacy and the rooms on the beach are perfect for...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I will be returning to the Sanctuary for our third visit this year in two weeks. We love it there.its not just the great rooms and food but more about how you are treated. You feel like family when you are there and the entire staff works to make sure your every need is taken care of. Hector, Enrique, Carlos, and everyone will work to make sure they meet your every expectation. I can' t wait to get back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

I would like to thank you for being assiduous guests and for selecting us one more time as the perfect place to host your Holidays.

I feel greatly proud with the fact that during your several stays at Sanctuary we have fulfilled your expectations and created beautiful memories.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back, and you can be sure that we will never cease in our efforts to constantly improve the quality of services provided.

Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have booked our 3th trip with in 10 months to The Sanctuary, we started going March 2013, then again August 2013, January 2014 will make our 3th trip, now that saids we love this slice of Heaven! We are so relaxed the whole week and that saids a lot about all the people that make that happen! We can't wait to see Hector, Enrique, Carlos, Junior, Bernardo and to just lay at that beautiful beach. I must get the Skirt Steak and tres laches which is to DIE for, and the chowder at the Blue Marlin...oh so good!! If you are looking for a place to have a wonder vacation this is the place! It's quite, peaceful and beautiful!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

How can I start, this is my second time to the Paradise, after so long people like Enrique and Raul recognized us, how is that to start! Looks like they new we were there before and upgraded us to a Royalty Villa! This was larger than my house! Villa was 2047, even though it is a walk away from the beach it was simply spectacular. The restaurants specially the Blue Marlin was the best of all. Raul provided great genuine service.Our maid Juana was fabulous. All in all it was better than last time. The hotel need a little TLC but it is like no other in the Caribbean.

Also we want to thank Hector for his attention to details. Enrique needs a raise he is second to none.

Thanks again to all at Sanctuary.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade or even pay a bit more for the Royalty Villas.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I, along with 8 friends, had an amazing time at this resort. The employees really went out of their way to accommodate our large group - and did so with a smile. Huge shout out to Raul. Raul set up a beautiful dinner for our group on Dominican Night for two members of our group whose birthday fell on our last night at the resort. We had a private room, balloons, and a personalized cake (also great waiter service by Eddi). We never once had an issue with sitting our large group at any of the restaurants and never had to wait. As this was my biggest concern before booking, I am extremely impressed with the service.
Activities directors James Bond and Rocky Balboa were also excellent. James Bond got us involved at the pool, and we went on a fun bike ride with Rocky. Also enjoyed Simon's cigar tasting and Eddi's rum tasting. The resort should expand their roles to allow them to set up more diverse activities and have multiple activities at different locations.
We had no problem with pool side drink and food service. Marta, Margarita, Carlos and Junior were awesome. Not only were they very responsive and helpful, but they actually made our trip more fun by sharing with us their great personalities.
The food was very good. We enjoyed all of the restaurants that we ate at. The food on the buffets were actually quite delicious, but the presentation of the buffet could be improved by setting it up in a larger space and adding sneeze guards over the uncovered plates of food.
As far as improvements for the resort, the Fortress needs to be better lit, especially at night. Certain areas were almost completely dark, making it dangerous to walk. Our room was also very dark by our bed, making it impossible to read in bed (the beds themselves, however, were very comfortable). The resort should get rid of their non all-inclusive option, thereby getting rid of signing for drinks and food. While this was not as annoying as I thought it would be, signing for all inclusive, to me, seems unnecessary. Also, there was some language difficulties as the staff (especially the front desk and the people answering concierge, housekeeping, room service and front desk) did not speak fluent English. We also had a different shower product brands each day, which was unusual and again an easy fix for the management.
Lastly, although the drinks were very tasty, I was not impressed by the quality of the liquor and beer at the bars. The liquor selection was not top shelf and none of the bars had high quality liquor or whiskey. There was also no liquor in the rooms and no variety in the beer in the mini-fridge, which was quite disappointing, especially since there was not that much going on at the resort after dinner, and our large group often wanted to hang out privately in one of the rooms.
Overall, we had a fantastic time. I would recommend this resort to others, especially those going in a group.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!