“Missing the special touch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Paris, France
“Missing the special touch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The place is beautiful, well made in a spectacular setting. When I walked into the reception area it smelled of incense, the stone walls and pillars together with the fountain, gave it a distinguished and exclusive feel. Sadly the service was below par in my view, the team seemed sharp enough, but I was asked to "wait a few minutes" 5 times during my 24h stay, most of the staff did not greet you when they walked past you in the hotel, and the food was average. It would have been a great surprise if the first impression (and the price and reviews) had not set the bar so high. It feels to me like simply a missed opportunity to be one of the best vacation spots, and it wouldn't take them much...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to write your comments after having stayed with us.

The comments and suggestions of our customers are of the utmost importance and assistance to us. Please rest assured that we have taken a good note of all your remarks. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; therefore your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement of the quality of our service.

We hope to hosting you again, and thus having the opportunity to change your perception relative to our services.

Ignacio Perez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
  • Czech first
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The food here is outstanding! I loved Juan& Rafy. They both took care of My family in and I in every resturant we went to in the hotel. They came to our table several times making sure everything was A-ok! I really apperciated everything they have done for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left a memorable impression on you and your family.

At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We chose Sanctuary because of its amazing grounds and the beautiful old world architecture. upon arrival it did not disappoint one bit. I wanted 4 beautiful days of romance, serenity and relaxation for myself and my fiancé and needed a lot of help from the concierge to make it happen. Zeleni and Kateriny the concierges came through in a big way. I planned many things, mostly back and forth via email before our arrival and they both fulfilled every one of my requests with passion. Some of the things were not so easy to fulfill and they came through in a big way. My fiancé found her self crying numerous times because of their efforts. We seemed to truly matter and they treated us like extended family and they were very much apart of every surprise that she received almost as excited for Ana as I was. They were genuine in their efforts and all played an intricate roll in Ana's happiness. I highly recommend a day at the spa if possible. The massages and facials were wonderful and they also did her hair and nails the same day for that perfect romantic diner that evening. Speaking of diner, I cannot forget Nourdes who was our server at the Blue Marlin for our private romantic diner. He was very attentive and knew when to be there and when to give us some private time. I sincerely appreciate all of their efforts and highly recommend Sanctuary to anyone that is looking for a truly beautiful experience. I know that we will return time and time again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are pleased to read, that you have had a wonderful holiday in our resort, we are glad to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and Service.

We are very grateful with your mention about our associates, thank you very much for recognize their work and comment the details that they have had with you. As you mentioned, our team work is our most valuable value, our staff is always ready to go the extra mile, in order to provide an excellent service and to transform your vacations into memorable moments.

I assure you that they will know about your review and you recognition, and they will be more than happy to know the good impression that they left on you.

We will be waiting for you, here, in your Sanctuary.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay at this hotel. The rates at this all-inclusive resort for the quality cannot be beat. We love to travel and rarely ever go to the same place twice, but would at this resort.

The staff was always friendly, especially Miss Mamajuana and Manel. They made us feel right at home, in fact I would go back just to see them. Carlos at the pool bar was one of the best bartenders around. Delicious drinks, and fast service with a smile. I think that in life you get what you project and those complaining about the friendliness of the staff are probably just miserable people.

Our favorite restaurants were the steakhouse and the Japanese restaurant, although the view at the seafood restaurant was one that could not beat.

Also, the public beach near the castle was gorgeous! Wish we had discovered it sooner during our stay.

If I were to make suggestions to the hotel, I would request wifi in all guest rooms and bug spraying early morning or late at night only. That's it. Everything else was perfect.

My suggestions for future guests would be the bring lots of $1s and $5s. Definitely check out the public beach, you'll love it. Download movies to your iPad or computer for airplane (US Air) and evenings at the hotel. Do an excursion. We went to the Hoyo Azul and zip-lining. I also wish I had learned a little more Spanish prior to the trip. It would have been great to be able to speak with the locals in their language, rather than them speaking to me in mine.

Overall great vacation! Thank you for a wonderful experience. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I had an awesome, relaxing weekend for her birthday at Sanctuary. The Jetsetter and TripAdvisor recommendations set our expectations high and they were exceeded once we arrived.

We had a couple hiccups getting in touch with the resort before our trip but everything was worked out. The concierge made sure our stay was amazing and even provided a few additional perks.

Our room was huge, the resort was beautiful, and the beach was really well maintained. They also had a great selection of spirits for an all inclusive (e.g. a number of local rums, Johnnie Black, and Jack Daniels). The food was definitely the biggest area that could be improved but every meal we had was adequate and filling.

We would definitely recommend Sanctuary if you are looking for an all inclusive.

Geek notes:
-Wifi is available in a few common areas on the resort
-Internet is wired in the rooms

Room Tip: If you are considering a room in the fortress: In November we saw about 5 kids on the whole resort
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Let me first say that I usually interpret complaints in reviews as picky people just being too critical. In this case, I wish I would have taken the complaints to heart. The GREAT things about this resort (which my husband and I chose for our 20th Anniversary) are: 1) the location which is safe and has breathtaking views; 2) the grounds, pool, and beach which are beautiful and immaculate; 3) the size which is relatively small and intimate; 4) the food which is fresh and delicious at all the restaurants; 5) the premium drinks; and 6) the large and extremely comfortable rooms. As much as we enjoyed our vacation and time together, two major drawbacks really detracted from our enjoyment: 1) the restaurant staff was not friendly at all (but we did like William, Ernesto, and Lourdes). Part of the problem could have been that we don't speak Spanish, and all employees except maybe one person at the front desk spoke only Spanish. The hosts were more interested in getting our room number for our bill than kindly greeting us at the restaurants. We, and others, had to wait at an uncrowded bar for quite awhile before the bartenders finally decided to serve us. Overall, the restaurant and bar staff were mostly cold and unhappy, despite the fact that we tipped well on every "bill", even when we signed for a sprite and bottle water. Which leads me to number 2) we had to sign a bill for absolutely everything, even though the bill had a zero balance. IT. IS. A. HUGE. PAIN. Not only did we have to wait for the bill (even on a bottle of water), sign the bill, and add the tip (which we wanted to do), but we never felt truly relaxed and carefree at the restaurant dinners. And when we didn't like a dish, we felt it inappropriate and even frowned upon to ask for something different. Perhaps I have a skewed view of all-inclusive, but I thought the purpose was to take away some of the usual stresses of vacationing with bills and prices to allow the patrons to just relax and enjoy. Again, although we had a very nice time, the unfriendly staff and the billing procedures at the resort seemed to overshadow our enjoyment. We loved our excursion to Saona Island, which we booked through Triple Tree at the resort. I would highly recommend that trip. However, with so many excellently rated resorts to choose from in Punta Cana, I would suggest that you pay attention to the reviews and understand the "all-inclusive" policies and procedures at Sanctuary before booking your trip.

Dear Guest:

The comments and suggestions of our customers are of the utmost importance and assistance to us., please rest assured that we have taken a good note of all your remarks.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Pros:
The resort is beautiful! Very well maintained, amazing views, very friendly and helpful staff. Many restaurants to choose from, great service in the restaurants, several pools, poolside/swim up bar, and friendly wait staff on the beach. We were very happy with our room. It was clean, well maintained, spacious, and quiet. The resort is big but we never felt far from anything. Everything is within a short walk on the beautiful grounds. Overall it was a wonderful vacation.

Cons:
The beach area is very small. It was very pretty but no area to really walk along the beach. We went with the all inclusive package and the food was pretty good, but not fantastic. Some restaurants did have some dishes we really enjoyed, but overall we were not wowed by the food. Most shrimp dishes had large shrimp, but they were not deveined which was kind of disappointing (we ordered shrimp several times and they were never deveined). The seafood buffets were a disappointment and they offered "lobster" but the lobster was not real lobster, it was Langostino lobster. The mixed drinks were extremely weak and the only beer choices were Presidente and Bohemia. The Presidente beer always came from a keg and it was also very watery and weak. I was very disappointed that there weren't more beer choices. The only beer in a bottle was Presidente Light. So, no really good beer choices. One day we walked off the property to the neighboring beach, Juanillo Beach, which was gorgeous, very large, great for walking along the beach, had a beach bar (off the Sanctuary property so not included in the all inclusive package) and they had several beer choices and real mixed drinks! I have never been so happy to see a Corona and a Budweiser! And the Bloody Mary I ordered was so much better than the ones we had at the Sanctuary and it actually had alcohol in it that you could taste! We also ordered food there and it was very good. It was actually tough going back on the Sanctuary property for drinks after our day on Juanillo Beach.

Overall, it was a very nice place and we had a really good time, but there are things that would have to change in order for me to return there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work. Please do not let this to be a motive to give us a second chance and we hope to have the oportunity to welcome you again in the near future. I will ensure a pleasant and enjoyable stay.

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!