“Very affordable and fun getaway!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Save Saved
You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very affordable and fun getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay at this hotel. The rates at this all-inclusive resort for the quality cannot be beat. We love to travel and rarely ever go to the same place twice, but would at this resort.

The staff was always friendly, especially Miss Mamajuana and Manel. They made us feel right at home, in fact I would go back just to see them. Carlos at the pool bar was one of the best bartenders around. Delicious drinks, and fast service with a smile. I think that in life you get what you project and those complaining about the friendliness of the staff are probably just miserable people.

Our favorite restaurants were the steakhouse and the Japanese restaurant, although the view at the seafood restaurant was one that could not beat.

Also, the public beach near the castle was gorgeous! Wish we had discovered it sooner during our stay.

If I were to make suggestions to the hotel, I would request wifi in all guest rooms and bug spraying early morning or late at night only. That's it. Everything else was perfect.

My suggestions for future guests would be the bring lots of $1s and $5s. Definitely check out the public beach, you'll love it. Download movies to your iPad or computer for airplane (US Air) and evenings at the hotel. Do an excursion. We went to the Hoyo Azul and zip-lining. I also wish I had learned a little more Spanish prior to the trip. It would have been great to be able to speak with the locals in their language, rather than them speaking to me in mine.

Overall great vacation! Thank you for a wonderful experience. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed November 2013
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, November 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

1,899 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I had an awesome, relaxing weekend for her birthday at Sanctuary. The Jetsetter and TripAdvisor recommendations set our expectations high and they were exceeded once we arrived.

We had a couple hiccups getting in touch with the resort before our trip but everything was worked out. The concierge made sure our stay was amazing and even provided a few additional perks.

Our room was huge, the resort was beautiful, and the beach was really well maintained. They also had a great selection of spirits for an all inclusive (e.g. a number of local rums, Johnnie Black, and Jack Daniels). The food was definitely the biggest area that could be improved but every meal we had was adequate and filling.

We would definitely recommend Sanctuary if you are looking for an all inclusive.

Geek notes:
-Wifi is available in a few common areas on the resort
-Internet is wired in the rooms

Room Tip: If you are considering a room in the fortress: In November we saw about 5 kids on the whole resort

St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Let me first say that I usually interpret complaints in reviews as picky people just being too critical. In this case, I wish I would have taken the complaints to heart. The GREAT things about this resort (which my husband and I chose for our 20th Anniversary) are: 1) the location which is safe and has breathtaking views; 2) the grounds, pool, and beach which are beautiful and immaculate; 3) the size which is relatively small and intimate; 4) the food which is fresh and delicious at all the restaurants; 5) the premium drinks; and 6) the large and extremely comfortable rooms. As much as we enjoyed our vacation and time together, two major drawbacks really detracted from our enjoyment: 1) the restaurant staff was not friendly at all (but we did like William, Ernesto, and Lourdes). Part of the problem could have been that we don't speak Spanish, and all employees except maybe one person at the front desk spoke only Spanish. The hosts were more interested in getting our room number for our bill than kindly greeting us at the restaurants. We, and others, had to wait at an uncrowded bar for quite awhile before the bartenders finally decided to serve us. Overall, the restaurant and bar staff were mostly cold and unhappy, despite the fact that we tipped well on every "bill", even when we signed for a sprite and bottle water. Which leads me to number 2) we had to sign a bill for absolutely everything, even though the bill had a zero balance. IT. IS. A. HUGE. PAIN. Not only did we have to wait for the bill (even on a bottle of water), sign the bill, and add the tip (which we wanted to do), but we never felt truly relaxed and carefree at the restaurant dinners. And when we didn't like a dish, we felt it inappropriate and even frowned upon to ask for something different. Perhaps I have a skewed view of all-inclusive, but I thought the purpose was to take away some of the usual stresses of vacationing with bills and prices to allow the patrons to just relax and enjoy. Again, although we had a very nice time, the unfriendly staff and the billing procedures at the resort seemed to overshadow our enjoyment. We loved our excursion to Saona Island, which we booked through Triple Tree at the resort. I would highly recommend that trip. However, with so many excellently rated resorts to choose from in Punta Cana, I would suggest that you pay attention to the reviews and understand the "all-inclusive" policies and procedures at Sanctuary before booking your trip.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to write your comments after having stayed with us.

The comments and suggestions of our customers are of the utmost importance and assistance to us., please rest assured that we have taken a good note of all your remarks.

We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; therefore your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement of the quality of our service.

We hope to hosting you again, and thus having the opportunity to change your perception relative to our services.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Pros:
The resort is beautiful! Very well maintained, amazing views, very friendly and helpful staff. Many restaurants to choose from, great service in the restaurants, several pools, poolside/swim up bar, and friendly wait staff on the beach. We were very happy with our room. It was clean, well maintained, spacious, and quiet. The resort is big but we never felt far from anything. Everything is within a short walk on the beautiful grounds. Overall it was a wonderful vacation.

Cons:
The beach area is very small. It was very pretty but no area to really walk along the beach. We went with the all inclusive package and the food was pretty good, but not fantastic. Some restaurants did have some dishes we really enjoyed, but overall we were not wowed by the food. Most shrimp dishes had large shrimp, but they were not deveined which was kind of disappointing (we ordered shrimp several times and they were never deveined). The seafood buffets were a disappointment and they offered "lobster" but the lobster was not real lobster, it was Langostino lobster. The mixed drinks were extremely weak and the only beer choices were Presidente and Bohemia. The Presidente beer always came from a keg and it was also very watery and weak. I was very disappointed that there weren't more beer choices. The only beer in a bottle was Presidente Light. So, no really good beer choices. One day we walked off the property to the neighboring beach, Juanillo Beach, which was gorgeous, very large, great for walking along the beach, had a beach bar (off the Sanctuary property so not included in the all inclusive package) and they had several beer choices and real mixed drinks! I have never been so happy to see a Corona and a Budweiser! And the Bloody Mary I ordered was so much better than the ones we had at the Sanctuary and it actually had alcohol in it that you could taste! We also ordered food there and it was very good. It was actually tough going back on the Sanctuary property for drinks after our day on Juanillo Beach.

Overall, it was a very nice place and we had a really good time, but there are things that would have to change in order for me to return there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work. Please do not let this to be a motive to give us a second chance and we hope to have the oportunity to welcome you again in the near future. I will ensure a pleasant and enjoyable stay.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Six of us just returned from a full week at Sanctuary in Punta Cana. The resort facilities were truly gorgeous, and offered plenty of dining options and activities. The food was good, and sometimes superb. The service was always timely and super-friendly. The pools, spa and beach were wonderful, and the rooms were very spacious and well-designed. If I had to offer any advice, I would suggest that you do NOT book your airport transfers before you arrive. They were incredibly overpriced. There are plenty of taxis at the airport that will be glad to take you to the resort, which is just 10 minutes from the airport. Also, the resort doesn't have an ATM on-premise, so be sure to bring some extra cash to tip the staff. Although the resort is all-inclusive, tipping is allowed and it also goes a long way with the staff and will ensure you get extra special attention. Please note that if you tip using your credit card or by charging it to your room, the staff doesn't ultimately see much of that money, and even if they do, they won't see it until months later. So bring some cash for tips, so you can ensure it goes to the hard-working staff. FYI, we booked out rooms through a special on JetSetter and $aved big-time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Fortress" which initially seemed far away from the action. But with its...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a beautiful resort and great place to stay but the staff and upkeep of the resort don't meet it's beauty.

Cap Cana is a really pretty area and private transfers from Dominican Airport Transfers was only $60 roundtrip and a 15 minute ride from the airport. Nice job!

I let the resort know ahead of time that I have a disability which limits my ability to walk stairs or long distances. I did not want the upgraded villa that they gave me but I had to stay in it the first night anyway after I told them that it was too far for me. I was supposed to be transfered the next moring to my new room which was very nice(great location and very nice bedding and furniture) but it took them 5 hours to do this and they never returned one of my 3 calls that they said they would call me back in two minutes, ten minutes and twenty minutes. They lie to you and really don't care about it. I asked them the first time just to let me know when it would happen so I could plan my day. They ended up wasting my whole second day. If they had just let me know something, I would have been fine. I'm not sure why they have to lie.

This is a large resort for 170 rooms and never appears to be crowded eventhough they said they were at 90% occupancy. The rooms and the pools were very nice, the beach looked pretty but was very rocky for PC and really the worst one that I've been to there. Not too bad but not what I expected. Plenty of chairs on the beach and if the pool chairs were all taken, the pool attendant was quick to come and find you something right away. He was the best worker at the resort. The food was decent with a few choices. My favorite was the Italian. Make sure you order enough if you like large portions as these are not. The wait and bar staff were pretty good throughout the resort as well. Room Service was a very limited menu but the food was good. It usually took about an hour to get it though.

Other than the horrible front desk staff, my other disappointments were that you have to sign for everything that you order, even if it's just one glass of orange juice. I think the resort would be better served if they took all of the people that have the position of just writing up these checks and moved them into other service positions where they are short(housekeeping, room service, etc...). It is very difficult for a person with a disability like myself to get around this resort. They have two elevators between the upper and lower levels of the main building and neither one of them work. You have to call a bellman to pick you up everytime you need to get to a different level. Fortunately, the bell staff was fantastic and were there to pick you up with a smile quickly.

Overall very nice resort. My only thought is if you're going to charge for a top 10 resort in PC as you do, please offer the service that should come with that charge. I would consider returning if they made a few changes.

Room Tip: I eventually got to room 1021 which is only 10' from the sand and 50' from the pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Sanctuary Cap Cana, as well for letting us know about your recent experience.

I assure you that your observations were taken with the utmost importance and forwarded to the respective heads of the departments involved in order to take immediate actions.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Milford, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I am going to try and give you as realistic a review as possible and not let my personal opinion affect it too much.

The grounds and location is beautiful. The rooms needed some work. For example, our shower stall didn't drain very well. The floor was not sloped to the drain as it should have been so we were standing in an inch or two of water. Not ideal but not the end of the world. The bathtub didn't have a handle to change from the hand wand to the main spigot and that seems like something that should be fixed immediately since it took forever to fill the tub with the hand wand. Again, annoying but not the end of the world. The room itself was large and decorated enough for my needs. The Nespresso coffee maker was a nice touch but the cups provided were way too small for a normal strength coffee. Also would prefer to have half and half over the powdered creamer but that is a personal preference. There were several days where the towels were taken from our room and then not replaced. In fact one day I had to track down towels so I could take a shower! That is unacceptable and there is no reason for that. Also, housekeeping seemed to be there around 5PM every night which is when most people might want to be getting ready for dinner or relaxing in their room after a day full of sun. It just was annoying to have them there at that time when we were gone from 8 AM to 5 PM only to have to stay out of the way in the evening when we wanted to take a shower and clean up.

The restaurants were okay. Nothing to write home about. Some dishes were good and some were not so good. The flavoring seems to be dialed back, maybe to avoid being too much for some guests. I don't know. I was very disappointed about having to sign a "bill" for every meal and drink given it was an all inclusive arrangement. It is annoying and an unnecessary inconvenience in my opinion. At times I wanted to stop and grab a burger and had to wait around to sign a slip to grab one?! Strange and I think the resort needs to rethink this policy. Same with trying to grab a quick bagel before heading out diving in the morning. Grab a bagel and then wait for someone to figure out what server is supposed to bring me a "bill"?! Crazy. Same with drinks. At one point we utilized poolside service but swam up to the bar for a drink and were told we had to sign slips with the server and the bar. At the least, transfer the tab to one or the other rather than make us sign both. I realize that gratuities are the issue but geesh.....we are there for vacation and I tipped well and didn't need slips to do so. I would have given cash otherwise.

It would have been nice to have more of an orientation to where things were. If there was an aquatics center that had kayaks and hobie cats (as the website indicated they did) we never found them. I was disappointed with the website suggesting things that were not true btw. For example, Juanillo beach which is beautiful, is not part of the resort and to get drinks and towels there you had to pay $ in addition to what you paid for the resort. I don't recall being told that on the website or via other travel sites. They should have reciprocity in my opinion since the beach at the resort is not very good to swim at despite it being beautiful. Same with the casino. There is no casino on site. Instead you have to reserve a spot on a bus to go to one?! Where on the website did it state that? Also, the confusion of whether this is an adults only resort? I was told it was only to find out that there kids there. They weren't much of a bother but they must have had a tough time keeping the kids entertained because there wasn't much there for them to do in my opinion.

Lastly, I don't mind vendors being on site but I don't think they should be in a prominent location where every time you want to go to the pool or need to use the restroom they are hounding you to look at their wares. I got the impression that the resort took fees from these vendors to allow them to be there and then didn't care whether they were disruptive or not.

The resort was relaxing and beautiful and all in all we had a good time but I think they need to make some changes to earn the status they claim on the travel sites. I personally found the service to be good but I tip well so perhaps the servers were giving me special attention? Don't really know. My thanks to Junior and Winston (bars/poolside service)! You guys were great.

All in all, would I go back. Maybe.....I just find other all inclusive resorts I've been to made the dining much less of a process and catered to the whim of wanting a snack rather than full meals and that is the way I like it other than dinner.

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and know better your preferences. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it.

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!